Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

walshb wrote: »
    The issue is that the man shouldn't be permitted to run....

The voters are not the issue here. The system that allows him to run is!

do you not see a potential issue with legislators deciding who can be elected to the legislature?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Yurt! wrote: »
    Lowry has some sort of voodoo hex over the people of Tipperary. You'd be ran out of it with pikes in certain parts of the county if you dared to criticize him.

The ghost of Kim Il Sung looks on jealously at his personality cult.

its mesmerising.
    A lad I worked with from North Tipp was told me a good one that was said to him when his part of the county was moved into the offaly constituency for the 2016 election.

Some yokel from down around Thurles said to him "You must be raging now that you can't vote for Lowry"

• Registered Users Posts: 38,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

do you not see a potential issue with legislators deciding who can be elected to the legislature?
    Yeah, it'd open the whole thing up to corruption. TD going up for election against a candidate who is very popular. No problem, set him up and call the Garda to arrest him and get him convicted. As my young man says, easy peasy, lemon squeezy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

For all the carry on of people to get Cowan kicked out just because he was FF

I was talking to a few members of the IFA last night. They think it is a disaster. They wanted Cowan in the role and felt he would have been perfect for the job.

In the end the one person who will be hurt is the farmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    For all the carry on of people to get Cowan kicked out of the job just because he was FF

I was talking to a few members of the IFA last night. They think it is a disaster. They wanted Cowan in the role and felt he would have been perfect for the job.

So you think Cowen was kicked because of his party? Nothing got to do with mess he created for himself and his behaviour since the story broke.
    As for farmers saying it's a disaster I live rurally and everything is a disaster as far as they are concerned.
    They are very quick to write off Dara or is just Offaly IFA members you were talking to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Funnily enough everyone involved in animal welfare wanted him gone not because he is in FF but because of his personal record that shows not a flying does he give about animal welfare.

As I already mentioned - Minister for Agriculture is not only there to please the farmers, they also have responsibility for the enforcement of animal welfare legislation and given the Dept is now the subject of a protected disclosure around it's dropped prosecution of a farmers already banned a minister who doesn't give a flying is not good optics.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Well firstly, it was FF who sacked Cowen and I don't believe it was just because he FF, which pretty much makes the rest of your post not worth reading tbh.

So you think Cowen was kicked because of his party? Nothing got to do with mess he created for himself and his behaviour since the story broke.
    No he was kicked out because of an agenda driven media and all the clueless idiots on social media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

eagle eye wrote: »
    No he was kicked out because of an agenda driven media and all the clueless idiots on social media.
    Everyone is clueless except you ? You shouldn't smoke that stuff it affects your cognitive abilities.

Well if true, they're not representative. Cowen has no special attributes over Calleary that make him an ideal Ag Minister. Neither have a farming background.

Most farmers I've spoken to are simply glad it wasn't a Green portfolio, and that's it. Some of the most effective Ministers were from unlikely backgrounds -- Simon Coveney was a decent performer.

Can't say I've come across any disappointment about Cowen. Just look at the Farming Forum on this topic -- fairly ambivalent tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

McMurphy wrote: »

Well firstly, it was FF who sacked Cowen and I don't believe it was just because he FF, which pretty much makes the rest of your post not worth reading tbh.

I don't think he was 'talking to a few members of the IFA' either.

He is essentially suggesting that the IFA want someone who is shifty, breaks the rules, is above the law, lies to other organisations and refuses to answer questions. Seems logical.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Funnily enough everyone involved in animal welfare wanted him gone not because he is in FF but because of his personal record that shows not a flying does he give about animal welfare.

As I already mentioned - Minister for Agriculture is not only there to please the farmers, they also have responsibility for the enforcement of animal welfare legislation and given the Dept is now the subject of a protected disclosure around it's dropped prosecution of a farmers already banned a minister who doesn't give a flying is not good optics.

:P

Yeah of course they did :-)

McMurphy wrote: »

If you didn't read then why quote it and post about it?

You are more than welcome to ignore it.

I don't think he was 'talking to a few members of the IFA' either.

He is essentially suggesting that the IFA want someone who is shifty, breaks the rules, is above the law, lies to other organisations and refuses to answer questions. Seems logical.

So you are now telling me who I was or wasn't talking to?

IFA wants someone who is good at their job, the people I talked about have met Cowan a number of times prior to him getting the job. Said he was hugely impressive and felt he would do an excellent job

Have you met Cowan>

Everyone is clueless except you ? You shouldn't smoke that stuff it affects your cognitive abilities.
    I never said that.
    I said the reason he's gone is those people turning it into something ridiculous. It's not the first time something like this has happened and unfortunately it won't be the last either.

If you didn't read then why quote it and post about it?

You are more than welcome to ignore it.

I read the first line, which was fundamentally incorrect, and on that didn't seem the rest of the post warranted looking at.
    I never said that.
    I said the reason he's gone is those people turning it into something ridiculous. It's not the first time something like this has happened and unfortunately it won't be the last either.

The reason he's gone is due to what's contained in the pulse report Michaeál Martin said he only seen on Tuesdays morning, and when seeing it, asked Barry to address the Dail and answer some questions on it, when Barry bid behind legal reasons as an excuse not to, and despite Michaél backing him at 2pm, he was gone hours later.

Ergo, he got the sack due to something else he did either directly or indirectly connected to the drink driving episode, and what the Garda recorded about it in pulse. Michaél apparently could not stand over his man in the face of the pulse report.

Keep trying to dress it up whatever way you want, but thems the facts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

So you are now telling me who I was or wasn't talking to?

IFA wants someone who is good at their job, the people I talked about have met Cowan a number of times prior to him getting the job. Said he was hugely impressive and felt he would do an excellent job

Have you met Cowan>

Can you spell Cowen?

McMurphy wrote:
    Keep trying to dress it up whatever way you want, but thems the facts.
    I'm not dressing anything up

It's the furore on social media aided by the Irish media is the reason he has been sacked. Basically all the stupid in social media following the lead of a couple of agenda drivers.
    Martin had no choice because he's not strong enough to stand up and say that social media is unimportant as regards running a country.
    He's a poor leader, disgraceful that anybody responsible for us all going through extremely hard times got to be Taoiseach, and he has no balls.

I'm not dressing anything up

It's the furore on social media aided by the Irish media is the reason he has been sacked. Basically all the stupid in social media following the lead of a couple of agenda drivers.
    Martin had no choice because he's not strong enough to stand up and say that social media is unimportant as regards running a country.
    He's a poor leader, disgraceful that anybody responsible for us all going through extremely hard times got to be Taoiseach, and he has no balls.

No, what happened was that Barry put Michaél in an impossible position where he publicly and openly disputed the contents of a Garda report, so Michaél was left with the unenviable task of backing his man, and in doing so supporting Cowens assertion that the guards report on him was not true, or asking Cowen to appear in the Dail and give the house his own account of what happened and why the report said what it did.

Barry didn't do that, so Barry got the ministerial P45.

Stop with the social media stuff, it's nonsense. Barry got sacked because of Barry's serious error of judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Really?

What special attributes did a man who sold houses have when it comes to agriculture?

PhD in agricultural studies? Did he ever run a farm? Please tell us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

:pac::pac:

in addition:
    The issuing of passports was also a major issue when Albert Reynolds was taoiseach.

"In June 1994, with the strains already showing between Fianna Fáil and its Labour coalition partners, it emerged that the Reynolds family pet food firm had benefited from a £1 million investment made under the "passports for sale" scheme."
    from https://www.irishtimes.com/news/passports-also-got-other-ff-leaders-into-trouble-1.889691

not sure if I've entered the link properly...
    And this was when a million really was a MILLION.

Aside from the dodgy passport scheme I seem to remember his dog food factory lost a major contract and then shortly thereafter the whole building went up in fire at 1 in the morning when it wasnt operational. I always wondered about that one and if the 200 odd workers who lost their jobs got paid redundancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Seems like if he agreed to go in and answer questions openly he’d still be in his post.

As is often the case, the cover up did more harm than the crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Really?

What special attributes did a man who sold houses have when it comes to agriculture?

PhD in agricultural studies? Did he ever run a farm? Please tell us.

Barry was and is a greyhounds man. He's a breeder and had some appointed sinecure with Bord nGcon (conveniently scrubbed from his CV on his website now that 'industry's' name is in the toilet).

The greyhound and bloodsports lobby is surprisingly vocal and influential for its size, and throws it's weight around in tandem with the horsey lobby.

In short, Bazza Cowen was their sort of guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yurt! wrote: »
    Barry was and is a greyhounds man. He's a breeder and had some appointed sinecure with Bord nGcon (conveniently scrubbed from his CV on his website now that 'industry's' name is in the toilet).

The greyhound and bloodsports lobby is surprisingly vocal and influential for its size, and throws it's weight around in tandem with the horsey lobby.

In short, Bazza Cowen was their sort of guy.

The greyhound industy is funded by taxpayers to the tune of 16 million a year which they then use to lobby government to keep the gravy train going. Its astonishing that such a minority sport gets 16m a year, GAA, football, rugby, etc get nowhere near those figures. The whole greyhound industry is build on quicksand, they would be gone in the morning without that huge annual payment from the taxpayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

A minister for agriculture who does exactly what farmers want is the worst thing a minister for agriculture could be.

Add in a liking for coursing and intensive greyhound breeding, that's not great.

Put all of the above into a man with a very shaky moral compass and the conclusion is that his sacking is great news.

McMurphy wrote:
    Stop with the social media stuff, it's nonsense. Barry got sacked because of Barry's serious error of judgement.
    If Social media and the Irish media weren't driving this nothing would have been done.
    The stupid fail to grasp that they're being led by agenda drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If Social media and the Irish media weren't driving this nothing would have been done.
    The stupid fail to grasp that they're being led by agenda drivers.

tell us what we should really be concerned about, oh wise one?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Barry Cowen seems like a real capable fella on the one hand. But an awful eejit on the other. I wonder who nailed him with the information though? They smelt blood and played the political game well. Sad part is thier are people in the Dail now who have done far worse than Cowen. But they are untouchable.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What's your opinion on Buckley?

I gave that already....

I replied to you on it

Out....absolutely!

• Advertisement

tell us what we should really be concerned about, oh wise one?
    The economy, debt, wasted spending, the air we breath, pollution, racism, homophobia, anti-religious movements, ott religious movements. Things that hurt your pocket and affect your future.

Advertisement