Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasonable number of tenants

Options
  • 15-07-2020 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

We have a two bedroom apartment in Dublin let at present, current configuration is a double bed in each room.

Current tenants are a couple and a single adult.

The single adult is now leaving, so one room will be empty and the couple want to get in new people for that room - so far so good, but the problem is that they have asked if we can configure the other room with 3 single beds so they can bring in 3 adults for that room.

I think that 5 un-related adults in a two bed apartment is too many. It's not a 'student house', it's a modern apartment in a high standard quite new development near the city centre.

So is it reasonable to refuse this request?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

CiboC wrote: »
    We have a two bedroom apartment in Dublin let at present, current configuration is a double bed in each room.

Current tenants are a couple and a single adult.

The single adult is now leaving, so one room will be empty and the couple want to get in new people for that room - so far so good, but the problem is that they have asked if we can configure the other room with 3 single beds so they can bring in 3 adults for that room.

I think that 5 un-related adults in a two bed apartment is too many. It's not a 'student house', it's a modern apartment in a high standard quite new development near the city centre.

So is it reasonable to refuse this request?

Absolutely refuse that request.

They will potentiall ruin your property, and will make you a defacto slum lord

Theres no upside for you whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

That's a big occupancy increase. Why would you agree to it?

Also, in the event of a second lockdown, how would that work?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

At most I would allow 2 couples and that would depend on the size of the apartment. IMO adults should not have to share rooms with their non SOs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

Not a landlord or a tenant but my first thought is what would be the benefit to you?
    Sounds like you get no extra rent (if that’d even be allowable), have to shell out for new furniture & deal with the extra wear & tear after they all move out.
    There may be advantages to you that I’m not seeing.
    From their point of view & quality of life, how many bathrooms are available & is the kitchen of adequate size for 4/5 individuals storage & cooking?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Manion wrote: »
    Also, in the event of a second lockdown, how would that work?

Can you imagine? No privacy whatsoever unless you sit on the toilet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1966/act/21/section/63/enacted/en/html
    63.—A house shall for the purposes of this Act be deemed to be overcrowded at any time when the number of persons ordinarily sleeping in the house and the number of rooms therein either—

(a) are such that any two of those persons, being persons of ten years of age or more of opposite sexes and not being persons living together as husband and wife, must sleep in the same room, or

(b) are such that the free air space in any room used as a sleeping apartment, for any person is less than four hundred cubic feet (the height of the room, if it exceeds eight feet, being taken to be eight feet, for the purpose of calculating free air space),

and “overcrowding” shall be construed accordingly.

not sure if there is an updated Act...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Absolutely no benefit to you and plenty of possible down sides
    I would also keep an eye on the property because if you refuse to put in 3 single beds, there is nothing to stop the tenants buying 3 single bargaintown beds and doing it themselves
    They obviously have a plan in their heads and people ready to move in .
    I would put your refusal in writing .stating your reasons and saying that under no circumstances would you allow it to happen .
    You are then covered for the future .
    We had the same issue years ago when a living room downstairs was converted to a bedroom without our knowledge
    We ended up with 8 adults sleeping in a 3 bed house with 1 bathroom and a downstairs WC
    Had murder with tenants and they moved out .
    Insurance and safety reasons would be my concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭CiboC

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    At most I would allow 2 couples and that would depend on the size of the apartment. IMO adults should not have to share rooms with their no SOs

My thoughts exactly, max reasonable occupancy for adults is 2 couples.
    Baybay wrote: »
    Not a landlord or a tenant but my first thought is what would be the benefit to you?

None that I can see...!
    meijin wrote: »

That's very helpful, thank you!

Advertisement