Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yay!!!! Ireland wins appeal at Europe's General Court!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

Matt Cooper on the Last Word really pinned the SF representative earlier by asking, if they had been power and had spent the €13 billion as they had pledged to do, how would they now be refunding Apple after it was found to be compliant. Also asking did they now agree that the FG got did the right thing putting the money in escrow.

He then turned things on the representative again by asking would SF be asking the EU commission to appeal this again - which the rep fudged by saying they couldn't direct the commission either way - caught between a rock (admitting Govt was right and judgement was good) and a hard place (it should be appealed, and go against Ireland's intetest)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Patser wrote: »
    Matt Cooper on the Last Word really pinned the SF representative earlier by asking, if they had been power and had spent the €13 billion as they had pledged to do, how would they now be refunding Apple after it was found to be compliant. Also asking did they now agree that the FG got did the right thing putting the money in escrow.

He then turned things on the representative again by asking would SF be asking the EU commission to appeal this again - which the rep fudged by saying they couldn't direct the commission either way - caught between a rock (admitting Govt was right and judgement was good) and a hard place (it should be appealed, and go against Ireland's intetest)

Who is surprised. They take the Irish voter for idiots, thank God 75% of the people that voted could see past the lies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Patser wrote: »

The EU didn't take the case because Gino from PBP thought it was bogey.

Was it taxpayers money that paid for the actual court case the Government took against the EU I wonder?

No, they got money from the leprechauns

Of course it was tax money, it was voted for in government and passed

One of the better uses for my tax money

• Registered Users Posts: 56,284 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Was it taxpayers money that paid for the actual court case the Government took against the EU I wonder?

Well, of course.

Best money ever spent. To defend our reputation and to secure FDI..

This vindication should be roundly applauded. Our country and our people did nothing wrong. We should all be proud.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Well, of course.

Best money ever spent. To defend our reputation and to secure FDI..

This vindication should be roundly applauded. Our country and our people did nothing wrong. We should all be proud.

As a tax haven.

Bowie wrote: »
    As a tax haven.

Yes!

Whatever description you care to choose.

We did nothing wrong. Are you smarting because we have a low corporation tax rate?

What is your issue?

Do you not think FDI is important?

And, in your view did we commit some wrong here?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    No, they got money from the leprechauns

Of course it was tax money, it was voted for in government and passed

One of the better uses for my tax money

I just asked a question it wasn't a criticism so no need for the smartarse comment.

Yes!

Whatever description you care to choose.

We did nothing wrong. Are you smarting because we have a low corporation tax rate?

What is your issue?

Do you not think FDI is important?

And, in your view did we commit some wrong here?

It's nothing to be proud of IMO. We are assisting the like of Apple dodge tax elsewhere. Legally it seems. Great that we are benefiting I just hope the same people cheering see the irony if this style of book keeping begins to work against us. It's the epitome of 'I'm alright Jack'.

It's nothing to be proud of IMO. We are assisting the like of Apple dodge tax elsewhere. Legally it seems. Great that we are benefiting I just hope the same people cheering see the irony if this style of book keeping begins to work against us. It's the epitome of 'I'm alright Jack'.

Care to explain your reasoning?

• Advertisement

Care to explain your reasoning?

SF said it was bad, that’s normally what it comes down to with some people

As a tax haven.

What’s a tax haven?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

murpho999 wrote: »
    Good ruling for Ireland and actually protects Irish economy and jobs. How come so many people don't see this?

Because left wingers have no sense

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    What’s a tax haven?

You should really look it up before chiming in. Honest if a little embarrassing for you.
    tax ha·ven
    /ˈtaks ˌhāvən/
    noun
    a country or independent area where taxes are levied at a low rate.

You should really look it up before chiming in. Honest if a little embarrassing for you.

Yes.

And why is this not a good thing for us, as you seem to be implying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

'We didn't fight the British for 500 years to have Ireland governed by the EU"--- Gerry Adams

Ms McDonald, who now describes her party as "Euro critical" rather than Eurosceptical, said the treaty was a "carte blanche for further erosion of democracy....... On the Lisbon Treaty (which the commission tried to use in this case)
    With all the talk of a Brexit in the media it's only right that Ireland follows the same path of a referendum on EU membership. Ireland would be better off leaving the EU bloc in order to take back our natural resources and independence from a group of unelected representatives who do not hold Ireland's best interest at heart but rather the interests of big business and banks through the privatisation of our public services .We call for a referendum..... Paul Murphy

What we see here is politicians on the Irish left who have lambasted the EU for decades for violating Irish Sovereignty all backing an attack on Ireland to set it's own tax laws.

We have the traditional pro EU parties seeing it for what it is: a money grab by the EU and an attempt to get some of the jobs.

They heard 13 Billion and went to town with a campaign to try and gain votes and spread mis-i formation regarding this.

Not surprising since their supporters still don't understand vote management, PRSTV, or basic maths (24% a majority).

It's a fantastic judgement and it means we can continue to attract FDI which keep highly skilled workers from emigrating and less skilled workers in retail, restaurants and other industries that have been built around the Docklands and other areas where these companies employ thousands of people..

Yes.

And why is this not a good thing for us, as you seem to be implying?

I said it's nothing to be proud of.

piplip87 wrote: »
    'We didn't fight the British for 500 years to have Ireland governed by the EU"--- Gerry Adams

Ms McDonald, who now describes her party as "Euro critical" rather than Eurosceptical, said the treaty was a "carte blanche for further erosion of democracy....... On the Lisbon Treaty (which the commission tried to use in this case)
    With all the talk of a Brexit in the media it's only right that Ireland follows the same path of a referendum on EU membership. Ireland would be better off leaving the EU bloc in order to take back our natural resources and independence from a group of unelected representatives who do not hold Ireland's best interest at heart but rather the interests of big business and banks through the privatisation of our public services .We call for a referendum..... Paul Murphy

What we see here is politicians on the Irish left who have lambasted the EU for decades for violating Irish Sovereignty all backing an attack on Ireland to set it's own tax laws.

We have the traditional pro EU parties seeing it for what it is: a money grab by the EU and an attempt to get some of the jobs.

They heard 13 Billion and went to town with a campaign to try and gain votes and spread mis-i formation regarding this.

Not surprising since their supporters still don't understand vote management, PRSTV, or basic maths (24% a majority).

It's a fantastic judgement and it means we can continue to attract FDI which keep highly skilled workers from emigrating and less skilled workers in retail, restaurants and other industries that have been built around the Docklands and other areas where these companies employ thousands of people..

Be honest and include the European commission. I know it's all the rage to put any criticism in the shinner box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Off course there is local gains but what is going on here with mostly tech and pharma companies is completely wrong. siding with these companies will not end well. We are also siphoning of valuable tax revenue from poorer nations and giving to these large companies. I don't think some people on here realise the scale of these companies- they are basically pure monopolies. They probably spend more money on tax consultants and legal advisers than on actually work. It's scandalous. The rich get richer.

At least you googled this time, last time you had a few issues with the old Vulture fund :P

• Advertisement

But, you agree that it’s best for Ireland.

Off course there is local gains but what is going on here with mostly tech and pharma companies is completely wrong. siding with these companies will not end well. We are also siphoning of valuable tax revenue from poorer nations and giving to these large companies. I don't think some people on here realise the scale of these companies- they are basically pure monopolies. They probably spend more money on tax consultants and legal advisers than on actually work. It's scandalous. The rich get richer.

The rich get richer. The poor get richer.

What is the problem?

They are huge employers here. They pay a massive amount to our coffers yearly..

It’s business. And good business. So many people benefit off their business here. Trickles all the way down...

Much better to have them than to not have them, eh?

It’s a dog eat dog world, and we need to be very attractive!!!

Seriously, get off the fence, and spit it out!!

Stay in school, get an education, go to college. Get a job in these companies and you can make a good living.

Or you can sit at home and complain. The choice is with everyone.

Before the MNC came to Ireland, those who went to school and college, got a good education had to up and leave Ireland. Bar the few.

Why would anyone want to go back to that??

I hate to tell you, if these companies are not here they are not going to shut down, they will just be in another country. Just we won't benefit from the money they generate

Seriously, get off the fence, and spit it out!!

We are profiting off the misery of others. Taxes that should be being paid elsewhere are avoided by using Ireland. It's great for the economy seemingly, but nothing to be proud of. I'm repeating myself here. We don't agree. Happens.

We are profiting off the misery of others. Taxes that should be being paid elsewhere are avoided by using Ireland. It's great for the economy seemingly, but nothing to be proud of. I'm repeating myself here. We don't agree. Happens.

Misery of who?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,844 ✭✭✭blackwhite

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

walshb wrote:
    It’s business. And good business. So many people benefit off their business here. Trickles all the way down...

Its still disturbing how many well educated intelligent people believe in this trickle down nonsense, it's clearly not absolutely true

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Its still disturbing how many well educated intelligent people believe in this trickle down nonsense, it's clearly not absolutely true

It is absolutely true...

With thousands in employment, thousands more benefit..

Trickles down..

But thanks for thinking me intelligent and educated...

• Advertisement

You may be repeating yourself, but it’s still not clear what you’re saying.
    Who’s misery?
    What taxes are being avoided?
    Do you understand that it is actually great for Ireland? Irish workers, their families, the beneficiaries of the taxes these workers pay? The businesses they support?

Advertisement