Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homekit Update

Options
  • 15-07-2020 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Post to update on some of my experiences trying to use apple HomeKit as my IOT of choice solution.

So far so good. I have devices from multiple manufacturers (7 or 8) working together with minimal hassle.

I have recently made a few purchase which show that gradually (and at long last) the price of HomeKit is coming down to the levels of the rest of the market.

1. Aqara Hub.

This is a hub (c.40 Euro) that lets you connect up loads of devices downstream. I've got the water leak detectors for about 12 Euro and shock/movement sensors for similar amount. They work well and alert in HomeKit. Have a long running issue with false positives on the leak detectors that requires resets. Devices can be included in various automations. Usually buy from one of the chinese sites.

2. Onvis alarm door sensor with Temperature and humidiy

This is a standalone alarm for a shed or wherever. Is activated when the door opens...measures temperature and humidity. I plan to put it in an apartment I am minding. Very loud siren when activated and alerts and is controlled from HomeKit. This cost about 35 Euro (is available on Amazon)

3. Eufy (Anker) 2K indoor camera

This is on sale for about 35 Euro this week. Solid 2K indoor camera with an SD card slot if you dont want to use the HomeKit Secure video which uses iCloud storage and encrypts end to end. Previous HomeKit cameras were closer to 100 and above so great to see something of this quality for this price. again can be run by its own app or HomeKit. Will see tonight how it operates in the dark. Shipped via parcel motel from Eufy UK site. Not on Amazon yet. they do a Pan and Tilt version which is more expensive but this does the job for now.

I'll update if I buy anything else

Fasterbetter.

Next on my list is a HomeKit doorbell though they are still a bit pricy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Any further updates fasterbetter? :)

I have the eufy indoor pan and tilt and have found it great with HomeKit so far. Have some sockets and bulbs but not HomeKit compatible so trying to do some research before replacing - will probably go with hue for bulbs and I see meross have launched very affordable sockets and even extension leads.

Looking at the other sensors ill probably wait until I’m in a house, but I’m kind of hoping the likes of Ajax release HomeKit support, otherwise I might go the aqara route and build my own system maybe, unless I was able to get one or two door sensors for very reasonable money.

Reading through Reddit, seems people in the US are happy to spend 10s of thousands in pursuit of HomeKit automations... :D have got a bit hooked on reading through peoples mega setups, even down to the newly announced HomeKit extractor fan/purifier for bathrooms... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I’m using HomeKit with Hue lights, Hive heating (and a plug) and a few Ring cameras. Ring doesn’t support HomeKit (they keep saying they will), but it’s possible to integrate using the excellent free HomeBridge software.

If you’ve got exiting non-HomeKit gear and you want to integrate it, you should definitely check out HomeBridge - there’s loads of extensions for loads of different providers. I’m running it on a MacBook, but it will run on Windows, Linux, Raspberry Pi and other platforms.

https://homebridge.io/

I’ve two AppleTV 4Ks and and an iPad running as HomeKit hubs, and I find that they become “unavailable” for absolutely no reason. The devices themselves are still connected to my network - streaming still works at full quality for instance - but for some reason the hub shows as offline. It’s not so bad now that I’ve 3 set up, but it’s pretty common for at least one to be offline, and the odd time it happens to all three at once.

I’m using HomeKit with Hue lights, Hive heating (and a plug) and a few Ring cameras. Ring doesn’t support HomeKit (they keep saying they will), but it’s possible to integrate using the excellent free HomeBridge software.

If you’ve got exiting non-HomeKit gear and you want to integrate it, you should definitely check out HomeBridge - there’s loads of extensions for loads of different providers. I’m running it on a MacBook, but it will run on Windows, Linux, Raspberry Pi and other platforms.

https://homebridge.io/

I’ve two AppleTV 4Ks and and an iPad running as HomeKit hubs, and I find that they become “unavailable” for absolutely no reason. The devices themselves are still connected to my network - streaming still works at full quality for instance - but for some reason the hub shows as offline. It’s not so bad now that I’ve 3 set up, but it’s pretty common for at least one to be offline, and the odd time it happens to all three at once.

Thanks for that :)

I’ve not had an issue thankfully with the hub going offline - my main issue at the moment is I think I’ve got too many WiFi devices for my little sky router so wondering what the best approach to sort that is - probably some sort of mesh system maybe

For homebridge, do you have a link to a preconfigured Raspberry Pi and how difficult is it to set up? My main concern is around the security and making sure everything is properly locked down - I understand we expose various things everyday, but I want to be fairly certain that some lad can’t tap into the cameras very easily 😂 although it would be nice to integrate what I have and the nest with HomeKit without having to spend a load of cash on new stuff

I’ve absolutely no experience with Raspberry Pi, but here’s a video that runs through everything you need to set one up with HomeBridge

https://youtu.be/QEMtg0ATrmI

As for security, HomeBridge itself will be as secure as your network. You don’t need to expose the server to any external ports, so it shouldn’t have direct access to the outside world. Some plugins would require you to enter your login for the account they’re designed to integrate, but that’s just stored locally, so again, securing your network and the hardware running the server is what you need to do (no different from any other computer you run).

One thing regarding cameras is that with HomeBridge you can’t use the encrypted iCloud vide storage you can use for official HomeKit devices, so if the devices don’t store to their own memory card, you’d have to use the devices’ own online storage, which usually involves a subscription (as I have to do with the Rings).

Just to update on this, since I set up a TP-Link Deco M9 Plus mesh wi-fi system last week, this hasn't happened at all with the HomeKit hubs, so it looks like the problem was the old Vodafone router. I was getting 3 or 4 notification an hour about them going offline, which was driving me nuts (and of course made me turn off HK notifications) and haven't had one since the installation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭fasterbetter

Not a lot to report since I posted last but I have added some Meross Plugs which cost £14:50 on Amazon which is well under half what I Paid for the Eve plugs originally.

I eventually gave up on getting an Eve Smoke alarm for <100 euro and caved in and bought the Netatmo one which is not as good because if I had 2 or 3 of them they don't work in Unison. The Eve smoke seems to be off the market now but still hoping they will launch a V2 at some stage.

Got another couple of the Eufy 2K indoor cameras...They work good but I have noticed they don't pick up everything. Zonal settings and face recognition added when IOS got it at V14 (I think). The face/pet recognition is pretty basic..

I have my eyes on the Meross 10M light strip (Currently £39 but have seen it at under £30)

Fasterbetter

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

I have replaced all sonoff plugs with meross and replaced my echo with homepod mini. Highly recommend.
    really snappy and fast. great integration as the homepod allows you to edit control of hue switches to interact with other homekit items.

I got the 3 plug/usb meross extension lead. very nice piece of kit.

Anyone have any non-essential gadget recommendations? The vocolink diffuser springs to mind but its pricey.

My HomeKit 2021 dreams - Homekit/Airplay 2 for Philips TVs. More icons for devices in the home app.

I see Apple have started selling a new HomeKit doorbell. the first with HKSV at a somewhat affordable (Well $199) price.......I thought Netatmo would get there first with HKSV but they have been very slow.

The specs seem decent.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/12/08/logitech-circle-view-doorbell/

I''ll wait a few months and see if the price drops a bit and make sure it will work with standard bell transformer.....but it's at the top of the list!!

Fasterbetter

I see Apple have started selling a new HomeKit doorbell. the first with HKSV at a somewhat affordable (Well $199) price.......I thought Netatmo would get there first with HKSV but they have been very slow.

The specs seem decent.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/12/08/logitech-circle-view-doorbell/

I''ll wait a few months and see if the price drops a bit and make sure it will work with standard bell transformer.....but it's at the top of the list!!

Fasterbetter

Another article says “Circle View Doorbell supports existing systems powered by 8-24 V AC transformers with 10 VA or higher power” so I expect it should?

Hi

I bought a few more Meross plugs off Amazon and because they connect over wifi and the Eircom F2000 router only allows 16 connections on the 2.4G bandwidth I couldn't connect them until I moved a couple of other devices off 2.4G on to 5G..

This caused me to wonder how IoT devices are connected,,,,

The older Eve Energy plugs use bluetooth...

All the Aquara stuff uses Zigbee

But stuff like ring doorbell, Netatmo and Meross seem to only work at 2.4G.

So unless I upgrade the router I can't buy anything else that uses 2.4G

16 devices isn't a lot these days!!

Fasterbetter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

kaerobe wrote: »

Anyone have any non-essential gadget recommendations? The vocolink diffuser springs to mind but its pricey.

My HomeKit 2021 dreams - Homekit/Airplay 2 for Philips TVs. More icons for devices in the home app.

I got that diffuser, it's excellent. Have it in the bedroom and loaded with some lavender essential oils. Automation task to turn the lamp on in the evening and later to turn the diffuser on for a couple of hours. The simplicity of it is great. Their lightstrip and extension are great too. Have those in the kitchen on the top of the cabinets.

Meross plugs are great and I could do with some more, still pricey unless it's a lightning deal or other discount. Some other Eufy gear is unfortunately not yet and maybe never, to be HomeKit enabled. But would recommend their wired video doorbell and outdoor floodlight.

Moved house recently, and thankfully got a telly with airplay 2 enabled. Could go for the HomePod but will wait until there is a fully developed home cinema feature set.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

Tazium wrote: »
    I got that diffuser, it's excellent. Have it in the bedroom and loaded with some lavender essential oils. Automation task to turn the lamp on in the evening and later to turn the diffuser on for a couple of hours. The simplicity of it is great. Their lightstrip and extension are great too. Have those in the kitchen on the top of the cabinets.

Meross plugs are great and I could do with some more, still pricey unless it's a lightning deal or other discount. Some other Eufy gear is unfortunately not yet and maybe never, to be HomeKit enabled. But would recommend their wired video doorbell and outdoor floodlight.

Moved house recently, and thankfully got a telly with airplay 2 enabled. Could go for the HomePod but will wait until there is a fully developed home cinema feature set.

Meross extension leads are on deal today. Got one for 24

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Does anyone know if the tradfri bulbs and gateway from IKEA in Ireland can be integrated with HomeKit? I’ve read online that they can but just want to make sure.

Looks an reasonable option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

The Tradfri range is fully compatible with Homekit.

Advertisement