Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airborne transmission and poorly ventilated buildings

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

petejmk wrote: »
    The Department's school reopening guidelines categorically states the virus is “not airborne” (page 24 of the post-primary doc and page 26 of the primary and special school doc). They must have more knowledge than the WHO and the HSE's Health Protection Surveillance Centre. They've both said airborne transmission can't be ruled out.

That part of the guidelines is available here: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/48037-dealing-with-a-suspected-case-of-covid-19-covid-19-response-plan-for-safe-reopening-of-schools/
    I was trying to link the full version but the department seem to have removed the English version. The only one available now is as gaeilge

Here's a scrn grb of pg 26 os bearla, if u have pg 24 please share.

Screen-Shot-2020-08-02-at-23.37.17-e1596408394222.png

From reading this I would be inclined to say the Department hasn't a clue. Still glove and SD heavy, it's like being back in Feb/March, just read that advice, basicaly they are saying the kid can keep contributing to the air in the classroom. That goes against all pandemic advice the HSE has compiled.

Air quality has not been discussed let alone researched, are all the Irish scientist's asleep? Big push internationaly at present on raising awareness regarding airborne.

https://slate.com/technology/2020/07/coronavirus-airborne-what-that-means.html

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02058-1

A bus travels from Castlebar to Galway, there are 16 passengers onboard, 60% take there mask's off after passing the driver when borading, the journey takes an hour and a half. So that's 9 people breathing at a rate of 3 liters a min? 9 x 3 x 90 = 2430 liters of unfiltered CO2 onboard. How big is a bus? 2 meters high x 2.5 meters wide x 10 meters long? cubic air space = need to start thinking about air quality asap.

elephantschool.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Unwind

Ribs1234 wrote: »
    Does the school reopening guidance take account of airborne?

The fact that the schools reopening 'plan' states "the virus is not airborne", contrary to mounting evidence and agreement by most epidemiologists and experts in aerosols (even the WHO has acknowledged that it may occur in enclosed crowded spaces, although they're still dragging their feet on acknowledging that it may actually be the main form of transmission) is the main reason I don't feel I can send my kids back to school.

Full classrooms with 30+ kids is the highest risk environment. Moving furniture around and attempting to space desks out a bit doesn't change the fact of having so many people in a room together for hours.

More and more research and evidence of airborne transmission of Covid19 coming out every day.

A new case study looking at the spread of the virus aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship has found that airborne transmission accounted for 60% of infections.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,413 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Ribs1234 wrote: »
    Does the school reopening guidance take account of airborne?

I doubt it, they probably still have heating set to come on. Any pupil having to sit next to a radiator all year round should be able to submit a claim for compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I am not an expert engineer I don't really know enough. Its not really discussed.

But they said masks didn't work at first because they didn't want to admit that they didn't have any. Now we are legally required to wear them soo......

• Registered Users Posts: 82,413 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I am not an expert engineer I don't really know enough. Its not really discussed.

But they said masks didn't work at first because they didn't want to admit that they didn't have any. Now we are legally required to wear them soo......

And I wouldn't mind but its non-surgical masks they are now saying are grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭petejmk

Seanergy wrote: »
    Here's a scrn grb of pg 26 os bearla, if u have pg 24 please share.

Here's the post primary version. The wording is the same.

In the intro the Dept are claiming they've taken medical advice into account.

I wonder if the Dept have to provide face coverings if they make them mandatory. How much of this policy is being driven by a financial decision and not wanting to foot the bill for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I wonder if the Dept have to provide face coverings if they make them mandatory. How much of this policy is being driven by a financial decision and not wanting to foot the bill for them.

I think it is a financial decision and a legal one, if they provide them it implies some level of responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Sorry but I want to stay on thread and not get bumbed into Schools or Masks but yeah HSE has a history of making decisions that are the cheaper and easier option, i'd say the later is the driver, tendency to not make work for themselves.

There is not one reference to cleaning/clearing the air in the GOV guidlelines to Cleaning/Disinfecting rooms where a pupil/staff member with suspected COVID-19 was present. It's all about surfaces. How dumb can we get.

If we look at the return to work safely protocall from May9th it's also hand hygiene and SD heavy. Wording in chapter Chapter 7D is preplexing. AC is not generally? considered as contributing significantly? to the spread of covid-19.

Screen-Shot-2020-08-03-at-12.48.37-e1596455592915.png

Advertisement