Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ultrawide monitor recommendation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Saw this the other day: Samsung Odyssey G9 (video)

If only I had room for a bigger desk...

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Odyssey G9 is overkill if you're not gaming because it's 240hz 1ms. Look for something that is colour accurate, 60hz or maybe 144 if you're really wanting a smoother experience and go for IPS or high quality VA.
    Edit: Doesn't have to be super colour accurate unless you're working with Photoshop or other jobs that require accurate colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Whatever you decide on, try to figure out what software solution you'll use to dock windows to certain sides of the screen.

For example, you probably don't need an A4 word document to be 3 screens wide. Using most apps in fullscreen would be a nuisance and the maximise key would be useless.

I haven't used one of those monitors before but im sure there's a downside to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

antix80 wrote: »
    Whatever you decide on, try to figure out what software solution you'll use to dock windows to certain sides of the screen.

For example, you probably don't need an A4 word document to be 3 screens wide. Using most apps in fullscreen would be a nuisance and the maximise key would be useless.

I haven't used one of those monitors before but im sure there's a downside to them.

Maximize windows only vertically, not horizontally.

See Win+Shift+Up, Win+Left, Win+Right, Win+Shift+Down shortcuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

JoyPad wrote: »
    See Win+Shift+Up, Win+Left, Win+Right, Win+Shift+Down shortcuts.

I use those shortcuts and they're fine on a regular (wide) screen but an ultrawide screen... maybe it will work for you and I suppose it depends on the apps you use. I think i'd still prefer two 16:9 monitors given the choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

For tab/window management an often overlooked package is the FancyZones app that is bundled with Microsoft Powertoys. For some reason microsoft hides the installation file on github https://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys/releases
    This allows the creation of custom zones anywhere on your monitor for any desired size window or overlay
    fancy1.png

Advertisement