Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've been out of work with illness for 7 weeks still not well stressed about work

• 15-07-2020 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have been out of work since the end of may due to complications arising from a ruptured appendix and the whole thing is stressing me out because I'm still not recovered and because I work in a small team I can sense the pressure coming from my boss through my correspondence with the.

I went into hospital very sick on the 26th of May . I had pains in my abdomen and a very high temperature. I had to have a catheter inserted due to a concern of sepsis as I was finding it very hard to pee which was very uncomfortable.After a CT scan it was discovered I had ruptured my appendix . I had key hole surgery next day and was in hospital for the next 10 days being administered intravenous antibiotics twice daily for that time.

In the meantime I was told by my boss I would not be paid for my absence as my current level of absenteeism was unsatisfactory for the year to date. I work for a massive multinational and the vast majority of people would get paid for sick leave

I was discharged on the 5th June but I was back the following Monday June 8th because I was feeling very sick. Anyway after another CT it was discovered I had abscess in the area they removed the appendix . The initial plan was for me to have another surgery to drain the area but the Radiologist ultimately decided that this would have been too risky as there was a risk of bowel perforation

Anyway they decided to keep me in hospital another 7 days with another battery of antibiotics and I was discharged for a second time with very strong oral antibiotics and told to rest for 2 weeks.

I'm now out of hospital 4 weeks and I am still out of work. I feel I have been treated badly by my company for someone that's been a permanent employee for over 12 years. But I have gotten over that and its not the reason I have written this thread

I haven't returned to work for the simple reason that I do not feel well enough. I went to my GP after I had been out of hospital for 2 weeks and when I was due to go back to work and whilst I told her I felt I was slowly getting better I didn't feel well enough yet. She was very understanding and said what I went through was very serious and had a mortality rate

My most recent blood test came back fine but I still don't feel great. My whole gut feels out of whack. My digestive system has been giving me bother even before this incident with the appendix. I mentioned this to my DR in the hospital and I am due to go back for a colonoscopy to rule out crohn's or something more sinister. I lack energy and my mood is quite low . I've been trying to get back to some normality by going for walks etc but I break into a sweat very fast when I'm out and about. When I wake up in the morning its obvious I've been sweating in my sleep

I'm starting to feel pressure to go back to work because I've been out so long . I can sense from the text messages from my Supervisor that there is an impatience growing but its not like I'm sitting at home taking the piss because at the end of the day I'm not getting paid. Its in my best interest to get back to work ASAP. I am just worried about what kind of reception I am going to get when I do finally go back

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

That's awful luck! Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery...

I too went through something similar where I was out long-term sick due to a major operation. I wasn't paid by my employer, nor was I entitled to state benefits. Wasn't a great couple of months.

Presumably, you've been sending in the certs and keeping your employer informed? I further presume your previous periods of sick leave are fully accounted for (i.e. genuine reasons and covered by certs if necessary). I'm just saying this to make sure your arse is covered and nothing can be pinned on you.

I think you're overthinking this, and getting all worked up for no reason. When you return, presumably, there'll be a plan to ease you back in. You WON'T be pitched in straight away.

Try to relax, and focus on your recovery. Don't rush it. You're recovering from a life-threatening condition, and these things cannot be rushed! If you get stressed and worked up, your recovery will be delayed and you're open to further problems.

Hope the rest of your recovery goes well with no further problems!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Surely a large multinational has a sick leave policy, a hr department, a nominated doctor which they refer you to in such cases?

Have you been referred to any of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Surely a large multinational has a sick leave policy, a hr department, a nominated doctor which they refer you to in such cases?

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Of course they have. OP says they have already been told their absenteeism is below policy levels. They also aren't being paid by the employer. Fairly standard stuff for the multinationals. They expect the State to pick up the tab...

I would also assume they will be referred to the company doctor on their return. This would also be standard procedure.

I still think the OP is panicking unnecessarily, and should focus on their recovery. We're talking in the abstract, and nothing can be done until their return. Whatever happens after that, can be dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Did you miss work before this?
    Not many places pay sick pay anymore.
    Your gut is probably out of whack from all the antibiotics you were given. Try some pre and pro biotics. Hopefully you recover fully.
    The longer you're off work, the harder it is to go back. The dread grows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Meeoow wrote: »
    Did you miss work before this?
    Not many places pay sick pay anymore.
    Your gut is probably out of whack from all the antibiotics you were given. Try some pre and pro biotics. Hopefully you recover fully.
    The longer you're off work, the harder it is to go back. The dread grows.

Did you miss work before this? Did you not read my post?.As I have already mentioned They haven't been satisfied with my currently level of absenteeism for the year to date. All absences have been certified by my GP I may add

Not many places pay sick pay anymore. This place generally does

Your gut is probably out of whack from all the antibiotics you were given. Try some pre and probiotics. My gut is definitely out of whack from the mega doses of antibiotics but I have been suffering from digestive issues long before my appendix misfortune

Hopefully you recover fully.Thanks

The longer you're off work, the harder it is to go back. The dread grows.But that Isn't why I have gone back yet. The reason I haven't gone back is because I still don't feel well. I am worried about the length of time I have been out of work and I cant really afford to go without pay for much longer but I cant force myself to go back if Im not recovered either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

If you are on certified sick leave, then your supervisor should not be texting you.

You should contact HR.

Advertisement