Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High boundary ditch

Options
  • 15-07-2020 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

I have an old ditch one side of my site that was planted God knows when. There is an old cottage next to me on the other side of the ditch. I cut it every year and it's mayhem. Murderous stuff altogether. Probably 20 plus high and very wide
    I have a Stihl multi tool hedgecutter with extension that I use. I have to go to top of ladder to get near it too. The Stihl is suppose 12 years old and with the extension its heavy. Any one got any ideas of what's out there in the market that would be light and enable me get at the ditch to cut it.To make matters worse I set a formal hedge some bit in front of it so access is a bit trickier. A tractor hedgecutter is a no go there too as it would be too awkward. I was watching a professional outfit one day while I was in the canteen at work and they seemed to have long aluminum pole hedge trimmers but I can't come across anything like it. Any one ever come across anything like that ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

My first thought would be a chainsaw, to get it down to manageable height. If you can get a hedgerow like this down to chest height, and not too deep, you will just have to trim the soft new growth every year. You will be able to cut up the heavy cuttings from the chainsaw and let them dry out and use as firewood.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

How about leave it alone ??

Large bushy hedges are tops for birds and insects.

Advertisement