Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,262 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Well i cant wait for the pubs to be open so i can have a nice few pints with my mates. Feck the anti pub brigade

I wouldn't call them anti-pub, more anti-virus

Nice public-spirited attitude though!

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Well i cant wait for the pubs to be open so i can have a nice few pints with my mates. Feck the anti pub brigade

Ah well as long as you have your fun that's all that matters.

Reckon it's the anti-virus group not the anti-pub group in the 70-75% bracket tbh, but I can see there's no convincing you. Gasping for a pint you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    But a separate one to the one of pubs opening for drinking only.

They are definitely linked, people who's social life is based around pubs and clubs have now transferred that to house gatherings were any health guidelines of any sort are out the window completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It also gives the population a kick up the arse that it's not over, and if people don't stick the "rules" (and the spirit of the "rules") that enable the easing restrictions, it'll slow the process.

I have to say though, the picture being painted of rural pubs is laughable. If the couple auld lads (probably includes me at this stage) sitting belly to the bar over a couple of pints a few nights a week are that crucial to income, those pubs are already screwed or have very low costs. The reality is most rural pubs I know that are reliant on the alcohol trade are packed with young people - that's why I go to the bar not the lounge!

Yes and one of the Healy Raes talking about the pub that just has four or five customers. Even if they all drank 10 pints each, that would hardly be enough to make the business profitable.
    Id like to see pubs re-open, but only when its safe. Its heartening to see the Government stand strong on this.

DuffleBag wrote: »
    Ah well as long as you have your fun that's all that matters.

Reckon it's the anti-virus group not the anti-pub group in the 70-75% bracket tbh, but I can see there's no convincing you. Gasping for a pint you are.
    Wouldnt say i gasping for pints,sure the cans at the weekend sort me out.
    I miss the social side of the pubs,catching up with the friends,watching the gaa etc

• Advertisement

I wouldn't call them anti-pub, more anti-virus

Nice public-spirited attitude though!

I am all for fighting this virus. I just think the way publicans are being treated is a disgrace when you see the likes of gyms,shopping centres,retail shops like pennys(no social distancing there) are open

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭uptherebels

I am all for fighting this virus. I just think the way publicans are being treated is a disgrace when you see the likes of gyms,shopping centres,retail shops like pennys(no social distancing there) are open

And which of these have alcohol being consumed on the premises?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

PMBC wrote: »
    Yes and one of the Healy Raes talking about the pub that just has four or five customers. Even if they all drank 10 pints each, that would hardly be enough to make the business profitable.
    Id like to see pubs re-open, but only when its safe. Its heartening to see the Government stand strong on this.

Not sure how many customers a small pub in Kerry would get, part of the point is that it's a social outlet for a lot of the elderly customers who live in a village, and less about how much they drink... the pub owner may just want to get some cash flowing instead of taking handouts..
    Unless they open as a €9 pub and that will mean the virus will skip past them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,530 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I went out for pub grub last night for 1st time is ages, probably since last autumn.

We were there for about an hour in total, had pre-booked our table.

There was a perspex screen between the tables, all the staff were masked, and we had one drink with our meal and left.

I can see why these type of places are being treated differently to just pubs where drink is the only thing for sale.
    They would currently be 2 very different experiences.

Wouldnt say i gasping for pints,sure the cans at the weekend sort me out.
    I miss the social side of the pubs,catching up with the friends,watching the gaa etc

But you do understand the risk associated with that sort of activity?

Close quarters for a sustained period of time, inhibitions lowered with alcohol intake so social distancing (and probably strict hygiene) goes out the window, close contact with lots of random people making contact tracing much more difficult in the event of a case being confirmed....

We all miss the social element, but there's good reason behind it.

The government aren't doing it for ****s'n'giggles, or to torture the general populace.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I'm not anti-pub in anyway. I love my few pints and miss the craic but I think it's right that they remain closed and so do many of my friends.

How you don't think having a few pints with your mates in a public enclosed space with other people is not perfect for the virus to spread is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,316 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

People who do not want the spread of the disease do not want restrictions to be relaxed while case numbers are increasing. They may not be happy that pubs are closed, but they see the need for it.

I’m somebody who can’t wait till pubs reopen... but I’m very happy that ‘for now’ they are not open as per usual.

I’m somebody whose priority is investing a bit more of our time, investing in a lot more of our discipline, putting up with a bit more inconvenience and hardship so that when pubs do reopen, it’s with a greater level of safety, assurance so that the likelihood of us needing another lockdown is next to nil...

I agree with you on the likes of Penneys, to a certain extent - but the exposure time is a fraction of that of an evening in the pub, and alcohol is the huge difference - with the best will in the world, the best of intentions go to pot with a few pints on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Do you sit down beside people in shopping centres,penneys, gyms etc and consume alcohol for a prolonged period of time?

It's unlikely you'll catch a virus from people in a shop as you walk by them.
    Pub is a massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭AUDI20

You might be waiting a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,316 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There is no anti pub brigade. Only a pro health and pro return to some degree of normality brigade... who are willing that we make short term sacrifices to enable long term gains... so pubs become a thing again, cinemas, traveling, seeing your friends, family without military like precision planning....

They are the priorities, ALL priorities. Pandering to the ‘pubs at all costs’ fûckwits who either are just too selfish because they want a few pints, the craic and somewhere to go, or the mealy mouthed money men in charge who can’t abide not making money, despite great savings and a nice covid payment.

Do people not think we might have to live with this.What if it never goes away,we might never find a vaccine. Do people think pubs should stay closed until a vaccines found

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭deckie66

Do people not think we might have to live with this.What if it never goes away,we might never find a vaccine. Do people think pubs should stay closed until a vaccines found

err . . . .No. Bars are open all across europe

deckie66 wrote: »
    err . . . .No. Bars are open all across europe

Have cases risen since bars opened across Europe?

It's not either/or.

The entire world is feeling it's way through this, trying to figure out what we can and can't do without sending infection figures through the roof again.

Pubs are a very high risk activity, so will be very far down the list of activities to resume. If all other things can be managed to keep the figures at a sustainably low level, then pubs might open up again. They can't be treated in isolation.

I personally think it'll be a fair while before we see them open in a pre-covid, completely unrestricted manner.

• Advertisement

Have cases risen since bars opened across Europe?

Cases are rising in places all over Europe.

Cases are rising in places all over Europe.

Are cases rising due to bars being reopen tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Will be ever emerge from Phase Puritan?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,530 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What do we think the punishment should be for this guy, who still intends to open on Monday?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/enough-is-enough-publican-vows-to-open-on-monday-despite-government-advice-39374808.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Strumms wrote: »
    There is no anti pub brigade. Only a pro health and pro return to some degree of normality brigade... who are willing that we make short term sacrifices to enable long term gains... so pubs become a thing again, cinemas, traveling, seeing your friends, family without military like precision planning....

They are the priorities, ALL priorities. Pandering to the ‘pubs at all costs’ fûckwits who either are just too selfish because they want a few pints, the craic and somewhere to go, or the mealy mouthed money men in charge who can’t abide not making money, despite great savings and a nice covid payment.

What are you talking about? Get down off the high horse with your "fuc_kwits" comment. The savings that everyone seems to have..... right ya.

People are very entitled to have a pint if they wish. There "should" be no issue if the pub employs the correct SD guidelines and adheres to them rigidly.
    Blanket banning of non food pubs is using a sledge hammer to crack a nut.
    Currently, you have to order food which enables you to order drinks. People are already flouting the guidelines, everywhere. It's not as simple of keeping half of the pubs shut while other pubs flout the guidelines.
    I completely understand the dangers of opening pubs where there will be no SD and this must be addressed, yes this is the crux of the issue. However, pubs that can manage the situation correctly and can be spot checked etc should have no issue re-opening. Everybody else is allowed to operate within reason, so should the pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Is the closure of "non-food pubs" a recommendation or a law?

If it's only a recommendation, you cannot take them to court.

There would be no legislation to quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

cadaliac wrote: »
    What are you talking about? Get down off the high horse with your "fuc_kwits" comment. The savings that everyone seems to have..... right ya.

People are very entitled to have a pint if they wish. There "should" be no issue if the pub employs the correct SD guidelines and adheres to them rigidly.
    Blanket banning of non food pubs is using a sledge hammer to crack a nut.
    Currently, you have to order food which enables you to order drinks. People are already flouting the guidelines, everywhere. It's not as simple of keeping half of the pubs shut while other pubs flout the guidelines.
    I completely understand the dangers of opening pubs where there will be no SD and this must be addressed, yes this is the crux of the issue. However, pubs that can manage the situation correctly and can be spot checked etc should have no issue re-opening. Everybody else is allowed to operate within reason, so should the pubs.

It's the amount of time people spend in the company of others. Go to a supermarket and you can have your weeks shop done within an hour.

it's the fact the with a few drinks in us we tend to get a bit lax and let our guard down

I feel sorry for the publicans and the way the food rule was implemented but it's a difficult call for the government to make

I think the priority now is to get the children back to school and work from there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

SAMTALK wrote: »
    It's the amount of time people spend in the company of others. Go to a supermarket and you can have your weeks shop done within an hour.

it's the fact the with a few drinks in us we tend to get a bit lax and let our guard down

I feel sorry for the publicans and the way the food rule was implemented but it's a difficult call for the government to make

I think the priority now is to get the children back to school and work from there

You can have a rake of pints and an immunity steak sandwich without a mask, but if you want to run in and out of a shop to buy a loaf of bread you're risking armageddon if you don't wear a mask, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

GazzaL wrote: »
    You can have a rake of pints and an immunity steak sandwich without a mask, but if you want to run in and out of a shop to buy a loaf of bread you're risking armageddon if you don't wear a mask, apparently.

I know there are a lot of contradictions and I think pubs that serve food should have been put under the same umbrella as pubs that dont.

Im not a fan of wearing masks but if it's going to help in general then yes I will wear one.

• Advertisement

GazzaL wrote: »

You're meant to be having a meal in a controlled environment (restaurant), with accompanying drinks, in a socially distanced setting. Very hard to eat or drink with a mask on.

If you want to turn that into "a rake of pints with a steak sandwich", then that's on you.

If wearing a mask in an indoor, close quarters setting like a supermarket, can help reduce transmission, then that's a good thing, no?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement