Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Comments

NPHET can go do one with their "gastro" pubs. I'd sooner swim to Wales than ever dream of entering one of those plastic environments again. Having to order a compulsory meal, and then being surrounded by overdressed ponces at adjoining tables who only go out twice a year. Affected accents, blathering on about their mediocre Christmas bonuses etc. F*ck all that white noise. Just want a regular jar in a regular local with socially distanced regulars, it really isn't too much to ask in December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭showpony1

Even the most non-food locals had started to have Apache Pizza or whatever it is from down the road deliver up food, but most did it just as they brought in the Dublin specific restrictions closing them all. So I'd say most will open once food pubs are allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Rezident

The longer this goes on, the more BANANAS! we will go when they finally do open. It'll be some craic but it's going to be carnage. There will be casualties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭gw80

Rezident wrote: »
    The longer this goes on, the more BANANAS! we will go when they finally do open. It'll be some craic but it's going to be carnage. There will be casualties.

Yes, just like what happened after the Spanish flu, we had the roaring 20,s, and what came after that, oh yea, the great depression of the 30s.😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭PommieBast

6 wrote: »
    Doubt they'll be opening in the first phase, and only allowed to open in the run in to Christmas if the numbers keep trending in the right way.
    Based on past form I would put money on them not opening. It is too much of the leopard changing its spots for me to seriously believe NPHET et al will permit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

They will just bring in food from local takeaways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

SteM wrote: »
    Semi-encouraging news in today's Sunday Times. Consideration of L3 rules for 2 weeks then movement to L2 rules in the 2 weeks before Christmas. Talk of 10pm closing time will annoy some though.

That seems perfectly reasonable tell the pubs and business that now so they have certainty and ****ing go with it no flip flopping no bowing to the curtain twitchers just ****ing do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Lads doesn’t look like even the pub that gets the local takeaway will be aloud open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Cork2021

It’ll be interesting to see how Holahan downplays another great day on the vaccine front. He should be nowhere near the vaccine task force as well

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

It shouldn't even have to be said that advocating criminal activity is not permitted. I've deleted a few posts in relation to this.

Further mention and your posting access to this thread will be removed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Cork2021 wrote: »
    It’ll be interesting to see how Holahan downplays another great day on the vaccine front. He should be nowhere near the vaccine task force as well

Has he been given any data we haven't?

Or is it just a one page press brief that went public.

The one page brief is of course positive news but until data has been studied they can't be raising hopes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Has he been given any data we haven't?

Or is it just a one page press brief that went public.

The one page brief is of course positive news but until data has been studied they can't be raising hopes.

Every other international expert, Fauci etc, lauded the first vaccine report 3 weeks ago.

Holohan was cautiously optimistic but said he wouldn't be celebrating yet.

He bleedin loves the misery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

If we can get non retail shops open and restaurants that will do most people . Keep all pubs closed is best unless we want wave 3 in January!

LuasSimon wrote: »
    If we can get non retail shops open and restaurants that will do most people . Keep all pubs closed is best unless we want wave 3 in January!

Open the bloody pubs. If people like you dont want to go near them then stay the fcuk at home and lock yourself in your room. Sick listening to people like you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭SteM

Open the bloody pubs. If people like you dont want to go near them then stay the fcuk at home and lock yourself in your room. Sick listening to people like you

Do you just want them open with no restrictions at all?

• Advertisement

A bit unfair, come nexy May or June everyone that wants to can drink themselves to death in a pub but for now it makes sense to keep them closed in order to keep infection numbers at low levels.

Where is this implied? You're simply engaging in a bad faith argument. Every rational adult in Ireland knows that we're headed for Level 3, pubs can reopen here with provisions. Cop on to yourself.

Where is this implied? You're simply engaging in a bad faith argument. Every rational adult in Ireland knows that we're headed for Level 3, pubs can reopen here with provisions. Cop on to yourself.

I asked a question, there was no argument. Was just asking a poster wher he stood. Calm down dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

A bit unfair, come nexy May or June everyone that wants to can drink themselves to death in a pub but for now it makes sense to keep them closed in order to keep infection numbers at low levels.

The only unfair thing is your ridiculous comment.

We need to learn to live with this virus. Not shut down for a small number of cases. Deaths and hospitalisations are the only thing that matters. These are low. Incredibly low.

If you are concerned, stay at home and shield yourself. The rest of us will continue as normal. Even if I subscribed to your view, it would make more sense to open the pubs to avoid house parties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Feel free to present your findings including evidence and statistical data.....

• Advertisement

Yes open them with restrictions like they were in level 2. Any pub that i was in had restrictions and they were well managed

Its unfair to kleep them closed when there has no major outbreaks in any pubs when they were opened

Yes open them with restrictions like they were in level 2. Any pub that i was in had restrictions and they were well managed

Unfortunately we didn't get that in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

very much the same opinion, look it was irritating trying to find somewhere but less so than the stupid level 3 outdoor farce. I imagine pre booking will be essential if they open next month

Id accept the meal thing again for a few weeks

Unfortunately we didn't get that in Dublin.

Thats unfortunate. Every pub in the country should be opened under level 2 restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Based on whats happened regarding pubs so far this year, I'd predict pubs serving food will reopen for December with indoor dining, same for restaurants. Wet pubs wont reopen till next summer or not until a sizeable proportion of the population has been vaccinated.

Given the likelihood that case numbers will rapidly increase as a result the removal of restrictions and people coming home for christmas from abroad you are guaranteed to see another lockdown come January which may outstrip the case numbers even moreso than the peak of level 2. This is simply goig to happen. The gov will give people december and then come the new year it'll be lockdown again.

Its not all doom and gloom. Ireland will get 1% of the EU's quota of 300 million doses from Pfizer, so that equates to 3 million doses. Each person will receive 2 doses 1 month apart so that means by th end of the first quarter of 2021 1.5 million people will be vaccinated. Our R number will start to drop as a result, but we would need at least 3 million people to be vaccinated in total to really put this virus to bed from an economy standpoint. Hopefully a second tranche of vaccinations will happen by the second quarter of 2021 so we can have a normal summer.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    very much the same opinion, look it was irritating trying to find somewhere but less so than the stupid level 3 outdoor farce. I imagine pre booking will be essential if they open next month

Id accept the meal thing again for a few weeks

I was in my local when it was opened. They were selling pizzas but you werent under any pressure to get one. Place was well set up. Could sit a the bar as they had a glass partition on the bar the whole way round and wooden partitons between individuals where you could sit 3 people. No acting the bollox in the place either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Most people would be content to have non retail shops open and restaurants , makes sense to keep all pubs closed until new year .
    To prevent a huge spike and wave 3 in January February we would be as well off forget about all pubs until the new year .
    Open restaurants but no alcohol served would be fair enough for many people .

Not entirely clear what you're trying to say here.

Not entirely clear what you're trying to say here.

Keep the pubs closed until January!
    But if you and others cant go without alcohol only leave genuine Food Pubs reopen in December not ones throwing out pizzas and chicken goujans for 9 euro a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

But if you and others cant go without alcohol only leave genuine Food Pubs reopen in December not ones throwing out pizzas and chicken goujans for 9 euro a go.

what kind of cuisine do you consider to be genuine, just out of interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

I was in my local when it was opened. They were selling pizzas but you werent under any pressure to get one. Place was well set up. Could sit a the bar as they had a glass partition on the bar the whole way round and wooden partitons between individuals where you could sit 3 people. No acting the bollox in the place either

This is the problem. In my town our only Restaurant Pub completely abused the situation and will 100% do so again. No pressure to buy food / knife & fork out on each table, no time limit, place packed. I could go on. This will happen again in a couple of weeks while the other pub businesses in the town, willing to tow the line remain closed. An utter farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

How did you know I liked pubs :D

But don't agree with this idea of food pubs vs pizza pubs - this does not relate to covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

what kind of cuisine do you consider to be genuine, just out of interest.

€9 pizza is a bleedin' disgrace, €10 pizza is perfectly fine by the sounds of it. Maybe it depends on what type of topping(s)? I mean, ham and pineapple pizza shouldn't count, pepperoni or meat feast is spot on though.

1966 wrote: »
    This is the problem. In my town our only Restaurant Pub completely abused the situation and will 100% do so again. No pressure to buy food / knife & fork out on each table, no time limit, place packed. I could go on. This will happen again in a couple of weeks while the other pub businesses in the town, willing to tow the line remain closed. An utter farce.

There isnt a problem if people arent acting the bollox and i didnt see anyone acting the bollox in any of the pubs i was in. Theres no differance sitting down having a pint on its own and sitting down having a pint with a poxy 9 euro meal. It should be a persons choice if they want a meal or not. As long as people stick to the rules and dont act the bollox then everything should be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

This is the kind of rubbish we need to not give into.

"If you don't like the pub, stay home" it's not a viable option. We're in the middle of a pandemic. The pubs aren't closed because people don't like them, they're closed because they're trying to contain a virus.

It's mind-boggling that these things still need to be explained after 8 months of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Substantial meal stays, pubs serving food and restaurants expected to open 1 week after retail according to Independent.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    This is the kind of rubbish we need to not give into.

"If you don't like the pub, stay home" it's not a viable option. We're in the middle of a pandemic. The pubs aren't closed because people don't like them, they're closed because they're trying to contain a virus.

It's mind-boggling that these things still need to be explained after 8 months of this!

Schools should be kept closed so if we are trying to contain the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭opinionated3

If the no food pub's can't open for December, once we tick over into 1st January they should all open at once and for good. They've taken enough punishment. Enough is enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Substantial meal stays, pubs serving food and restaurants expected to open 1 week after retail according to Independent.

One week after? So no pubs next Tuesday? Load of baloney.

• Advertisement

Did you really think there was going to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

You'd have been hard pressed to find somewhere with stock and staff back at a few days notice anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Did you really think there was going to be?

I really did. Disappointing. Why wait until the following week? Plenty are ready to stock up and open the doors.

I really did. Disappointing. Why wait until the following week? Plenty are ready to stock up and open the doors.

Things are unlikely to be going back to the free for all that we had a few months ago for quite a while yet anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Why keep pubs shut at this stage. There is no physical evidence that having pubs open is going to make any difference, only all these ridiculous models. The publicans have taken enough punishment, most of them not open for 8 months, some of them never to reopen

Thats unfortunate. Every pub in the country should be opened under level 2 restrictions

In Ireland. Coming up to the Christmas period. After a prolonged lockdown? Yeah, what could possibly go wrong with that plan.

This thread will certainly be amusing when they announce (at best) Level 3.

Ho, ho, ho indeed.

• Advertisement

In Ireland. Coming up to the Christmas period. After a prolonged lockdown? Yeah, what could possibly go wrong with that plan.

This thread will certainly be amusing when they announce (at best) Level 3.

Ho, ho, ho indeed.

So you reckon pubs should be kept close when there is no evidence to suggest they were at fault for the rise in numbers when they were opened for a few weeks

And plenty aren't because they haven't been told anything. Plus allowing barstaff to get the pup double week before going back to work is *whispers* actually pretty decent........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Better than nothing I suppose. Go out early get the cheapest food possible and stay for a few pints after

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Better than nothing I suppose. Go out early get the cheapest food possible and stay for a few pints after

You'll find a reason to complain anyway, it's all you've done for 9 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭MelbourneMan

So you reckon pubs should be kept close when there is no evidence to suggest they were at fault for the rise in numbers when they were opened for a few weeks

It would be most prudent to keep them closed yes. It is not a question of being at fault, more a sensible precaution to reduce person to person contact when non essential, and where the benefit does not outweigh even the small risk of transmission of the virus.

There would seem to be abroad a view that restriction on activities should be determined exclusively on the transmission risk. This is too simplistic an analysis, and there are more complicated factors considered in determining the correct actions for suppression of transmission of the virus. Public houses would be deemed to be low on the scale of social contact events worth countenancing considering the current levels available to maintain low virus case numbers.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement