Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

hmmm wrote: »
    With the rollout of vaccines there is more likelihood they can open and stay open, if we have numbers low to start with. It'll take a while for the vaccines to make an impact, but getting healthcare staff vaccinated will make a big difference.

If they open now we just repeat the mistake made last time.

What mistakes of last time? Are you just assuming they were a cause for the Aug-Sept rise? Because, while it may suit your argument, there's no evidence they were an issue.

It's been announced that restaurant and pubs will open, so it's over in that respect. Probably a half way house solution between people who want pubs fully open and those that want to continue lockdown.

While I appreciate you have some nuances to your argument, ultimately it comes down to wanting to continue lockdown in order to avoid a future lockdown. That is utterly illogical.

If you offer patrons and restaurant owners alike the option of December with the risk of losing Jan/Feb, or nothing until Feb, each and every one of them will choose the former.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

It still isnt entirely clear whether covid is more fatal than winter flu.

Some indicators appear to show that it isn't.

8 months on and people still think this

There's no point in changing people's minds when they're this mis-informed. It's a waste of energy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

hmmm wrote: »
    With the rollout of vaccines there is more likelihood they can open and stay open, if we have numbers low to start with. It'll take a while for the vaccines to make an impact, but getting healthcare staff vaccinated will make a big difference.

If they open now we just repeat the mistake made last time.

What % of the population do you think will be vaccinated in February? Do you think that when the first vaccine is administered, we throw open the doors of every pub, play maniac 2000 and lick each other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

hynesie08 wrote: »
    What % of the population do you think will be vaccinated in February? Do you think that when the first vaccine is administered, we throw open the doors of every pub, play maniac 2000 and lick each other?

Jaysus, if they don't play Maniac 2000 on repeat in every pub for six consecutive months when this is over, they're not doing it right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

hynesie08 wrote: »
    we throw open the doors of every pub, play maniac 2000 and lick each other?

When it's 100% safe enough to do so: All of that sounds beautiful, fantastic and utopian

Except "Maniac 2000"

• Advertisement

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    When it's 100% safe enough to do so: All of that sounds beautiful, fantastic and utopian

Except "Maniac 2000"

I was gonna say Mr brightside, decided to localise it......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Christ NYPHET and the looney bin medics are talking about next Autumn /Winter before any normality and easing of restrictions. Theres a full list of concerts for summer and Theatre shows , surely these wont go ahead . I see body and soul festival in June already gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Does this mean we have a ****ty 2 hour rule again!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

MattS1 wrote: »

Well then just book 3 pubs in the one night.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    Christ NYPHET and the looney bin medics ......

Loony bin medics, my word!

What has modern medicine ever done for us, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

fin12 wrote: »
    Well then just book 3 pubs in the one night.

I know a few lads that did this, ate in the first pub and left the food sitting on the table in the next 2, some waste of food any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Loony bin medics, my word!

What has modern medicine ever done for us, eh?

Modern medicine has done loads for us. The loonies in NPHET are predominantly the group of people who have brought us the black hole, failure of an organisation that is the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

GazzaL wrote: »
    Modern medicine has done loads for us. The loonies in NPHET are predominantly the group of people who have brought us the black hole, failure of an organisation that is the HSE.

What about all the clown rent a mouth professors from the universities? They've as much to answer for their peddling of a ludicrous zero virus policy.

mightyreds wrote: »
    I know a few lads that did this, ate in the first pub and left the food sitting on the table in the next 2, some waste of food any money.

We did it but with two pubs.

Ordered food in the first place, then went to the second place and ordered pizzas. Left them sitting there but, because we were appropriately socially distant, the publican let us stay. By the time we left, we'd eaten the pizza!

I don't care how many pizzas I have to order, I'll be looking forward to a rake load of Christmas pints with the lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Suppose having food pubs is something, Won't be as easy as last summer to find somewhere

The Xmas eve and new year's pints are more than likely out the window

PTH2009 wrote: »
    new year's pints are more than likely out the window

Thank God for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Lads, in fairness, NPHET would have a very similar guideline around seasonal flu. I know the difference between the two, but the HSE would also recommend not riding anyone ever or smoking or drinking etc. The list is endless. It’s about personal responsibility and maturity in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,082 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

We did it but with two pubs.

Ordered food in the first place, then went to the second place and ordered pizzas. Left them sitting there but, because we were appropriately socially distant, the publican let us stay. By the time we left, we'd eaten the pizza!

I don't care how many pizzas I have to order, I'll be looking forward to a rake load of Christmas pints with the lads!

Some places are sound enough to let you order the food and get your pints in, but only collect the food (like pizza which is the easiest) at the end of your time so it's like getting a take away to bring home.

So if you get food in one, few pints and maybe get an extra hour out of that premises move onto the second one and ask the second one to serve the food at the end.

I don't think there's a rule or guideline on when the food has to be served?

Get out your notebook: The Hog's Wart, Badger Bar, Rowdy McJefferson's and Adolf's Bunker to name but a few. All located this side of the equator. When do you expect feedback from Tony, have the wrecking crew ready.

The long weight, the rubber hammer, the chocolate teapot, the bent level....... Loads of them.....

MattS1 wrote: »

Another news site is running that it will be LESS than the 1 hour 30mins... won't bother my backside if you have to leave after an hour.

Yet people who are clicky with staff will be allowed flout.

We always have to do things half arsed here. The cases rose at the same time as the rest of Europe so keeping the bars closed was pointless and shows there was no benefit.

• Advertisement

Another news site is running that it will be LESS than the 1 hour 30mins... won't bother my backside if you have to leave after an hour.

We always have to do things half arsed here. The cases rose at the same time as the rest of Europe so keeping the bars closed was pointless and shows there was no benefit.

You'll have more deaths from salmonella than covid.....

Chaplin wouldn't get a look in.

Do Chaplins on Hawkins Street do food? Love that spot! Might head in there over the Christmas actually!

Very much will and was pretty evident through the summer. Owl Jimmy and Noreeen are grand, then ah I them well they're grand etc

Tbh its a ****ing farce of a situation, you couldn't make it up. I bet the dail xmas piss up won't have any time restrictions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

NYPHET have 90 per cent knowledge of the course of this disease as does any epidemiologist. They just don't want to get caught out. We're in the fourth quarter of the second wave. Infections will fall regardless of whether pubs are open well into Jan and not rise until the third and final,least deadly wave in March. The curve is flattened. Hospitals will not be overrun. It will actually speed things along by opening now. It's gone by June along with our pub culture. What replaces it could be much worse. Pubs tied to corporations and vulture funds.

As a complete aside, I’d love a pint in grograns this weekend! Don’t have loads of mates cause I’m over 30 and a loser, so just me and the OH would be fine. Tony, if you see this, let it happen! Xx

If its 1hr 30mins then its a load of bollox. It would be pointless heading out to the pub if thats the case. Just opened them up and bring in any measurements that are needed. No need for that 1hr 30mins if people are behaving

If its 1hr 30mins then its a load of bollox. It would be pointless heading out to the pub if thats the case. Just opened them up and bring in any measurements that are needed. No need for that 1hr 30mins if people are behaving

Aye, a complete cobblers. Having to order a meal and endure time constraints. Virtually no enjoyment to be had, looking over your shoulder as soon as you're in the door. Only desperadoes and outright liars would express any delight in that arrangement. Why not plonk people in a giant perspex box while they're at it, like a good compliant sheep singing Tony's praises. Mickey mouse sideshow.

Very much will and was pretty evident through the summer. Owl Jimmy and Noreeen are grand, then ah I them well they're grand etc

Tbh its a ****ing farce of a situation, you couldn't make it up. I bet the dail xmas piss up won't have any time restrictions

Don't be bitter because you're a part time drinker who hasn't got a rep for being sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Less than 1.30 is very short

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So the restrictions seem fairly restrictive and more of a way of saying “well we gave you the option to open” but the working kitchen one is a bit ridiculous because wet pubs don’t have those. I mean my local has enough room a male and female toilet outside of the bar itself. Look I’ll be happy to go back to my local pub when they can open up for more than two weeks in one go which in September was a joke and I didn’t go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Even going from 1.45 down to 1.30 is quite restrictive on people to enjoy a meal

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭madmax72

Wouldnt be surprised if they increase the substantial meal cost to 15 euro to stop bars that are really not gastro pubs from opening

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Dayo93

Pubs a safe place my hole , they have touted this ****e since cheap alcohol came available in supermarkets, we only have to look at what happened in every bog town that won the county championship , the virus ran through them like wildfire because of the pubs and there controlled environment , boozers are evil places, they will never send an alcho home sober, In saying that can't wait to meet the lads for a few pints, won't be going near them over chrimbo, maybe after the Jan lockdown

Dayo93 wrote: »
    Pubs a safe place my hole , they have touted this ****e since cheap alcohol came available in supermarkets, we only have to look at what happened in every bog town that won the county championship , the virus ran through them like wildfire because of the pubs and there controlled environment , boozers are evil places, they will never send an alcho home sober,

Next sentence...
    Dayo93 wrote: »
    In saying that can't wait to meet the lads for a few pints, won't be going near them over chrimbo, maybe after the Jan lockdown

Night meet day.

• Advertisement

Jaysus you couldnt make it up :cool:

Wait till Stephens day and New years eve. There will be house parties all over the country. Come January when the numbers rise they will blame the pubs again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Nobody NEEDS house parties!

Well they do since house parties are a just way of seeing other human beings, which is a need. So they either need that or some close equivalent.

growleaves wrote: »
    Well they do since house parties are a just way of seeing other human beings, which is a need. So they either need that or some close equivalent.

House parties are one of myriad ways to see people.

That doesn't mean people NEED house parties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Wait till Stephens day and New years eve. There will be house parties all over the country. Come January when the numbers rise they will blame the pubs again

No, they'll blame the gurriers at the parties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Dayo93

Next sentence...

Night meet day.

If u can't get the context I'll say no more , ah bertie is it .......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 didyoufart?

6 wrote: »
    LOL. No it won't.

House parties occur regardless.

And always house parties after pubs, always!

They will if they allow proper closing times.

Country pubs last drinks are meant to be 12.30 PM but usually serve till about 2.30AM.

The whole out the door thing at 11.30 with covid restrictions is just plain stupid, your going to go back to a house for drinks at that time. Pub

The weird thing is, these lads are going on like "People will have house parties anyway, so we should be allowed have a free for all in the pubs".

I might as well go rob a week's shop from my local Aldi. "Here, people are robbing stuff in loads of other shops, so I should be able to do it here".

The weird thing is, these lads are going on like "People will have house parties anyway, so we should be allowed have a free for all in the pubs".

I might as well go rob a week's shop from my local Aldi. "Here, people are robbing stuff in loads of other shops, so I should be able to do it here".

What point are you trying to make?

The whole out the door thing at 11.30 is just plain stupid, your going to go back to a house for drinks at that time

Or, if you're responsible, you're not.

And isn't that the argument being put forward? People should be trusted enough to frequent the pubs with no restrictions?

If what you're saying is true, that people will go to the pub, get drunk and then act the b*llocks, then pub restrictions need to be in place to save the rest of us from these idiots

Or, if you're responsible, you're not.

And isn't that the argument being put forward? People should be trusted enough to frequent the pubs with no restrictions?

If what you're saying is true, that people will go to the pub, get drunk and then act the b*llocks, then pub restrictions need to be in place to save the rest of us from these idiots

I don't think anyone mentioned a free for all in the pubs, enter the pub, social distance and have the social interaction and drink your nine or ten pints in a regulated environment and go home.

If pubs aren't open house parties going to be rampant .

Guards actually inspected pubs when they were open last.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

And guess what. They would be correct. Hopefully the new garda powers will be enforced over the Christmas/New Year period. If morons act iresponsibly let them suffer the consequences.

And guess what. They would be correct. Hopefully the new garda powers will be enforced over the Christmas/New Year period. If morons act iresponsibly let them suffer the consequences.

What's a gaurd going to do in all honesty. People have copped on and even installed IP cameras on their front and back doors and the house parties are generally in bungalows.

Id be surprised if they even did get in and probably only catch 0.0001% of house parties actually happening around ireland and that's from nosy neighbours complaining.

He’s not wrong, in fairness... you go to a pub with mates... ah sure we will go back to mine etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

What's a gaurd going to do in all honesty. People have copped on and even installed IP cameras on their front and back doors and the house parties are generally in bungalows.

Id be surprised if they even did get in and probably only catch 0.0001% of house parties actually happening around ireland and that's from nosy neighbours complaining.

You seem to have a lot of inside knowledge about this. Been at a few of them yourself maybe?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement