Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am not sure if people have posted this already but looks like Dice bar in dublin is closed permanently.

I would have huge sympathy...but ....seeing some of their facebook posts comparing their plight to that of people being taken to concentration camps...yeah...feck em

IFR is trending down to more flu like levels, 0.14% in one study ...
    Is flu not roughly 0.01? So bit of a difference no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

gmisk wrote: »
    I am not sure if people have posted this already but looks like Dice bar in dublin is closed permanently.

I would have huge sympathy...but ....seeing some of their facebook posts comparing their plight to that of people being taken to concentration camps...yeah...feck em

It was posted on Famous Dublin pubs that are no more thread, which will probably becoming more active :(

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115430118

I don't think I ever drank in it. The Globe Bar and Ri Ra are also gone to be replaced by....another hotel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

gmisk wrote: »
    Is flu not roughly 0.01? So bit of a difference no?

Flu is ~0.1% .... I have seen studies showing covid ~0.2%, and a newer one ~0.14% ... I am a little skeptical of that one, but even at 0.2% still twice as deadly as flu - dangerous yes, but we need things in perspective.

It's bad, but not black death bad.

People go on about the need to save lives, well then we should have restrictions at least half as strong every flu season so ... or 1/3 as strong .. whatever x% of deaths flu causes compared with covid.

It was posted on Famous Dublin pubs that are no more thread, which will probably becoming more active :(

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115430118

I don't think I ever drank in it. The Globe Bar and Ri Ra are also gone to be replaced by....another hotel
    I drink in it the odd time it is as a bit of a kip, but always sad to see a business close.

Another fecking hotel....great..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Sad about the Dice, whatever you say about the owner being a prick, it was a cool spot ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Leinster90 wrote: »
    I’m not a reporter but it’s because people get less drunk when they are eating as well as drinking. When people get drunk, they become less inhibited and less likely to obey social distancing and other precautions.

This is the same reason people will only be allowed to stay in a restaurant or gastropub for a limited period of time.

The people to blame for this are the minority who cannot drink and behave responsibly at the same time. We all know these people, they are too self-centred to limit their alcohol intake and we all have to suffer because of it.

So because a minority can't drink responsibility, and a minority of the population are high-risk, the majority are made suffer either through lack of social interaction (a huge issue in rural Ireland and probably as dangerous to the elderly) or a loss of livelihood.

It's a warped way of handling things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

So because a minority can't drink responsibility, and a minority of the population are high-risk, the majority are made suffer either through lack of social interaction (a huge issue in rural Ireland and probably as dangerous to the elderly) or a loss of livelihood.

Sad, but true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

MrStuffins wrote: »
    The weird thing is, these lads are going on like "People will have house parties anyway, so we should be allowed have a free for all in the pubs".

I might as well go rob a week's shop from my local Aldi. "Here, people are robbing stuff in loads of other shops, so I should be able to do it here".

Or perhaps, I like to beat my wife at home, why can't I hit her a rap in the pub, she'll only get it at home anyway.

I’m not a reporter but it’s because people get less drunk when they are eating as well as drinking. When people get drunk, they become less inhibited and less likely to obey social distancing and other precautions.

This is the same reason people will only be allowed to stay in a restaurant or gastropub for a limited period of time.

It's amazing that has to be explained tbh. It should be obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Most of the best pubs in Dublin are "wet pubs" that haven't even been allowed open since March. It could be next March for them! They probably got the rawest deal of all, totally discriminated against.
    One stat I am trying to find is what proportion are owner-ran vs. tenanted (my wild guess is 30:70). The former will tend to re-open whereas the latter....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The minority of people take coke in the jacks too. We shouldn't re-open pubs ever again so as they are clearly drug dens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭saabsaab

There was a big slip up in an RTE interview today. It showed the Palace bar and talked to an owner and a LVA rep. indoors They said that Gov should trust them.

Nobody shown was wearing a mask!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It's been mentioned loads of times on this thread.

Generally by you, and then when pulled up on it you say it was mentioned loads.

Really? Well then if this is true then no wonder cases have not fallen as quickly as they should have. Confirms what I thought all along. Anyway enjoy your house parties while you still can. On the law of averages you will eventually be rumbled but sure that won`t bother you will it?

They can “rumble” a house party all they like. If you don’t open the door there’s nothing they can do.

The minority of people take coke in the jacks too. We shouldn't re-open pubs ever again so as they are clearly drug dens.

A bit extreme. I can't say i'm with you on that one.

growleaves wrote: »
    Rumbled my hole.

The guards have serious criminals to go after. They aren't staking out party houses.

If someone is blasting music at the whole neighbourhood all night then a squad car may eventually turn up.

People also seem to forget that Garda are people too. I’ve been to house parties with cops. They need a social outlet too. They don’t care about these stupid laws. House parties will be bottom of their list, by a long way.

Generally by you, and then when pulled up on it you say it was mentioned loads.

At no point have I asked for pubs to be opened without restrictions.

Others have, but not me.

saabsaab wrote: »
    There was a big slip up in an RTE interview today. It showed the Palace bar and talked to an owner and a LVA rep. indoors They said that Gov should trust them.

I nearly fell off my chair reading that. Thanks for letting us know, time to dial up the outrage and talk to Joe. Joe make it all better. Spying and ratting on other people can be exhausting, especially when you don't have a life of your own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Stock up on cans cause the pubs won't be opening. Have a source close to the decision making process.

Well ones that serve food will be opening, but not the wet variety.

You can place this in the "things Pintman got right" category.

Called it spot on. There'll be no pints drank this Christmas! Unless you get a meal with it obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Were they more than 2 metres away from each other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Maybe they weren't sick.

Maybe they weren't sick.

Maybe they were

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

The people to blame for this are the minority who cannot drink and behave responsibly at the same time. We all know these people, they are too self-centred to limit their alcohol intake and we all have to suffer because of it.

This is exactly it.
    As 6 said, I can't believe that this has to be explained again.

At no point have I asked for pubs to be opened without restrictions.

Others have, but not me.

No but you’ve claimed others have, constantly, without ever backing it up.

• Advertisement

No but you’ve claimed others have, constantly, without ever backing it up.

Backing it up? What do you want? A link to the thread?

You're in it pal!

Backing it up? What do you want? A link to the thread?

You're in it pal!

More waffle and deflection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

You can place this in the "things Pintman got right" category.

Called it spot on. There'll be no pints drank this Christmas! Unless you get a meal with it obviously.

The Indo and RTE have been calling this for days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Maybe they took their lead from Tony Holohan, who never wears a masks at his indoor press conferences and who I cannot recall ever seeing with a mask on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

im sorry, but when pubs were open with food, i sat with the wife and we watched plate after plate of food go into the bin. waitress said "its criminal, most of the food is going into the bin, and we cant even give it to the homeless". that was chalk bar in swords.

the whole food thing is bull****, theyre using it as an excuse to keep the so called damp pubs closed.. pathetic

• Advertisement

copeyhagen wrote: »
    waitress said "its criminal, most of the food is going into the bin, and we cant even give it to the homeless".

This week on "Things That Definitely Happened"......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭saabsaab

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Were they more than 2 metres away from each other?

Doesn't matter really in a tight space. Terrible optics. What were they thinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

Where is this Walter Mitty type Melbourne Man who laughingly tried to make out he was somehow involved or close to the government, he said a few times on this forum in no uncertain terms that pubs would not be opening this side of Christmas, poor man probably lives in a bedsit in Rathmines and is on the dole and sits around in his boxer shorts all day on various forums using the dictionary for big words to sound intelligent giving off the impression he's an articulate and intelligent man.:rolleyes::p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Doesn't matter really in a tight space. Terrible optics. What were they thinking?

It does yeah, government advice......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭VG31

Maybe they took their lead from Tony Holohan, who never wears a masks at his indoor press conferences and who I cannot recall ever seeing with a mask on.

Challenge: Find a picture of Tony Holohan wearing a mask.

I haven't found any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

What time is Michael Martin due to speak and reveal details ?

SB71 wrote: »
    as soon as there's a rise again he'll be saying "you should have listened to me i was right" jaysus imagine having to live in the same house as him:eek:

And what if he IS right? Isn't that him doing his job correctly?

And what if he IS right? Isn't that him doing his job correctly?

Clearly he is not,NPHET's approach is completely flawed and outdated, locking down the country every 2 months will only achieve one thing, economic suicide and wont get rid of covid-19, the knock on effect from lock downs as many have alluded to will have far more devastating consequences than covid-19 ever will, and will be felt for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭the rock29

Ok even if he's right people are social creatures and the government won't mention the mental health issues or the domestic violence. So food is going to solve covid 19 in pubs

LuasSimon wrote: »
    What time is Michael Martin due to speak and reveal details ?

I think its on the RTE1 news at 6pm or around that time.

• Advertisement

the rock29 wrote: »
    Ok even if he's right people are social creatures and the government won't mention the mental health issues or the domestic violence. So food is going to solve covid 19 in pubs

If the situation wasn't so grave it would be the biggest comedy sketch of all time, how can they be taken seriously when they are to allow pubs serving food and not pubs who don't serve food, they were lambasted the first time over this clearly the message hasn't gotten through,beggars lelief.

Genuinely feel sorry for the thousands of publicans who are victimised here,it's absolute and utter lunacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

6 wrote: »
    It's amazing that has to be explained tbh. It should be obvious.
    cadaliac wrote: »
    This is exactly it.
    As 6 said, I can't believe that this has to be explained again.

I can't believe it has to be explained yet again that pubs opening under the same restrictions as restaurants aren't going to result in drunken hordes roaming the streets roaring covid at each other.

Nobody's talking about night-long sessions ending in packed nightclubs. I strongly doubt a meal is going to make a huge difference to how drunk somebody is after 1:45. I actually went looking for data to support a difference, but most of the advice seems to be around eating an hour before drinking which isn't going to matter much when you're out 30 mins later.

A bizarrely huge number of people seem to be incapable of imagining going to a pub and not getting hammered, then projecting their issues onto everyone else and insisting pubs have to stay closed as a result.

MOH wrote: »
    A bizarrely huge number of people seem to be incapable of imagining going to a pub and not getting hammered.......

Exactly! Those who are incapable of imagining going to the pub and not getting hammered will do exactly that! It's potential for chaos!

MOH wrote: »
    I can't believe it has to be explained yet again that pubs opening under the same restrictions as restaurants aren't going to result in drunken hordes roaming the streets roaring covid at each other.

Nobody's talking about night-long sessions ending in packed nightclubs. I strongly doubt a meal is going to make a huge difference to how drunk somebody is after 1:45. I actually went looking for data to support a difference, but most of the advice seems to be around eating an hour before drinking which isn't going to matter much when you're out 30 mins later.

A bizarrely huge number of people seem to be incapable of imagining going to a pub and not getting hammered, then projecting their issues onto everyone else and insisting pubs have to stay closed as a result.

Then why aren't pubs open then? It's not a big conspiracy against the pubs.

I miss a pint as much as I anyone. I also know after a few, socially distancing goes out the window. Also, live near an area that had superspreader events in pubs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

This week on "Things That Definitely Happened"......

Doubt all you like but I have ordered several meals and with half heartedly picked at them or left them completely.

I asked a couple of times if o could pay for them and then the next person gets them - paying it forward, apparently not.

It’s bloody stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

This is tyranny. Why are the vintners so weak on this?

This is tyranny. Why are the vintners so weak on this?

They played their hand a few weeks ago. Said publicans have no interest in opening for two weeks for Christmas then closing again. That bluff worked out well. Not very well thought out tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sp00k

Any word on closing time for the pubs that can open? Still 11pm or whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

sp00k wrote: »
    Any word on closing time for the pubs that can open? Still 11pm or whatever?

No mention yet but seeing as they've not touched any other guideline yet that was in place previously would assume out by 11.30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sp00k

No mention yet but seeing as they've not touched any other guideline yet that was in place previously would assume out by 11.30

Independent and Irish Times reporting they're getting rid of the 1h 45 min time limit if the tables are 2m apart.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement