Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

hynesie08 wrote: »
    So, should I wait for my food to arrive before I get a pint? Does covid hate aperitifs?

3000 people on this island have died of Covid, something that took the Troubles 25 years to achieve. This kind of thing is not funny or mature.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Incredible. Food magically repels Covid. I expect Tony Holohan and his dour band of geniuses at NPHET are a shoe-in for the Nobel Prize for Science 2021.

I don’t get why people push this as if the food rule makes no sense. There is clear logic behind it. Fine if you don’t agree with it but the smart alec posts as if Holohan and the government haven’t a clue are really petty and wilfully ignorant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

3000 people on this island have died of Covid, something that took the Troubles 25 years to achieve. This kind of thing is not funny or mature.

Was there a highly innacurate test used to determine if someone died due to the troubles? The vast majority of those 3,000 dearhs died with covid not of covid so I suggest you get your facts right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Did they die of the troubles or with the troubles??

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I don’t get why people push this as if the food rule makes no sense. There is clear logic behind it. Fine if you don’t agree with it but the smart alec posts as if Holohan and the government haven’t a clue are really petty and wilfully ignorant.

Terribly sorry if I hurt your delicate feelings. Who are you exactly? NPHET have been extraordinarily patronising and dismissive of traditional publicans who bent over backwards at great expense to be accommodating. All to no avail, staring down a bleak December losing valuable business. Many of whom won't reopen in 2021. Due in no small part to an utterly deluded and irrational train of thought that an arbitrary €9 food charge is the knife edge between Covid spiralling out of control. Now I don't have to justify my actions on this thread to you, if you're unable to accept that then there's nothing else I can do for you. Sorry for your pedantic troubles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Terribly sorry if I hurt your delicate feelings. Who are you exactly? NPHET have been extraordinarily patronising and dismissive of traditional publicans who bent over backwards at great expense to be accommodating. All to no avail, staring down a bleak December losing valuable business. Many of whom won't reopen in 2021. Due in no small part to an utterly deluded and irrational train of thought that an arbitrary €9 food charge is the knife edge between Covid spiralling out of control. Now I don't have to justify my actions on this thread to you, if you're unable to accept that then there's nothing else I can do for you. Sorry for your pedantic troubles.

What part of the eating food and not getting as pissed as without food do you not get? Is it the food part? or the €9 part - seriously. Do you you not understand what the government are trying to achieve?

As a consequence of the government imposing this, is them trying to keep people relatively sober, while in pubs and trying to stop people letting their guard down.
    I for 1 want to go for a few pints without having to eat/fork out for food and stay longer that the small time allowed. This is not possible because a few of us seem to think that its ok to have street parties and not ware masks et al.

The few who will ultimately destroy our chances of going back to the pubs will be keyboard warriors and state that he gov have some sort of vendetta against the pubs. It is simply not the case. We, and I use that term loosely, have proven that we cannot behave correctly when p1ssed. I can, I am sure you can but others cannot.
    Therefore the masses must be treated as one.
    Yes, everyone suffers, publicans, hoteliers and everyone in the service industry is getting it in the neck.
    I don't have a solution - honestly I wish I had, but as long as you have people not behaving correctly, not observing S Distancing and just acting like dicks when plastered is affecting us as a whole. We all have to suffer. As far as I can see the gov have no other choice. Well, they do but they will not open everything up when there is a vaccine on the horizon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Yeah its rough on pubs and i dont agree with it but this 'oh covid can distinguish between a toastie and a €9 meal' has been going on for months, people think they are being really clever and cutting edge but in reality it doesn't do anything for the arguments you are making tbh, its childish and self defeating, though its a point usually made in the main by the poorly educated of which boards.ie seems to have a surfeit but there ya go

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

Tony seems to be burying it deep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Incredible. Food magically repels Covid.

You know it doesn't, right?

Yeah its rough on pubs and i dont agree with it but this 'oh covid can distinguish between a toastie and a €9 meal' has been going on for months, people think they are being really clever and cutting edge but in reality it doesn't do anything for the arguments you are making tbh, its childish and self defeating, though its a point usually made in the main by the poorly educated of which boards.ie seems to have a surfeit but there ya go

Is that the extent of your argument? Nothing substantive articulated at all, just frustrated chucking of toys out of the pram when others don't subscribe to your narrow worldview. Irony eludes you completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The word "of" is the weak point in your statement.

3,000 people may have died with COVID, yes, but it is difficult to prove that all of them died of it.

Bear in mind that if you die in a traffic accident crossing the road after getting a positive diagnosis, and you are infected, that will be recorded as a death by/with COVID.

Geuze wrote: »
    Bear in mind that if you die in a traffic accident crossing the road after getting a positive diagnosis, and you are infected, that will be recorded as a death by/with COVID.

Source?

Is that the extent of your argument? Nothing substantive articulated at all, just frustrated chucking of toys out of the pram when others don't subscribe to your narrow worldview. Irony eludes you completely.

Nah, im just pointing out the absurdness of these constant bs posts about covid not recognising meals etc etc blah blah blah. Its been explained over and over why 'wet' pubs are being treated differently, now whether thats right or wrong is neither here nor there but hey there are none so oh whatever.....

My solution? Open all the bars and have the Gardai crack down hard on those that are flouting regulations so the responsible ones can continue to trade but that aint ever happening in this country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Nah, im just pointing out the absurdness of these constant bs posts about covid not recognising meals etc etc blah blah blah. Its been explained over and over why 'wet' pubs are being treated differently, now whether thats right or wrong is neither here nor there but hey there are none so oh whatever.....

My solution? Open all the bars and have the Gardai crack down hard on those that are flouting regulations so the responsible ones can continue to trade but that aint ever happening in this country

Have to agree here - pretty much best solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

mightyreds wrote: »
    Those who go to hospital for a routine procedure in the week leading to xmas risk giving covid to their family, those who go shopping in the week before xmas risk giving covid to their family, I would say catching it in a hospital setting is the most risk out of retail , pub , hospital setting at the minute.

True. And a hospital procedure may be needed, the other things are not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Is the 90 minute rule back in restaurants?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

GT89 wrote: »
    Was there a highly innacurate test used to determine if someone died due to the troubles? The vast majority of those 3,000 dearhs died with covid not of covid so I suggest you get your facts right.

And your proof of this claim is what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

True. And a hospital procedure may be needed, the other things are not.

Ah that's alright then, only 300 dead then, sure why concern ourselves about that?

So is your solution stay inside at all times unless it's a hospital procedure?

We're on the same page here. It should be happening in the month of December, alas it isn't due in no small part to meek and subservient leadership. A betrayal of trust on the part of traditional publicans (and their customers) who would faithfully adhere to the guidelines. Let the small minority who flout the restrictions get clamped, while vast majority proceed carefully about their trade. One can only dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Source?

Although this is absolutely nothing to do with pubs which the thread is about, I'll reply to this one post in the hope the thread isn't derailed further.

https://www.facebook.com/MichaelMcNamaraTD/videos/2520787121544659/

Until formal process has taken place it is recorded as such, following WHO guidelines recording anyone that has passed with covid. Hence when you see denotifications the data has been verified and formal cause of death notified to HPSC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

All this scientific waffle is done on ausspetions and predictions

One video of a crowded area in Dublin and Cork is enough to shut the whole country down

The flu has been rampant in all areas for 100s of years

All this scientific waffle is done on assumptions and predictions

One video of a crowded area in Dublin and Cork is enough to shut the whole country down

Remember that teacher like threat by MM last summer cause of crowds of people drinking in food pubs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

PTH2009 wrote: »
    All this scientific waffle is done on ausspetions and predictions

So? Covid -19 is not the flu.

Remember that teacher like threat by MM last summer cause of crowds of people drinking in food pubs

It is truly depressing that in 2020 we have such attitudes, i give up

All this scientific waffle......

Holy Mother of God!!

Between "Mehole" and "Food prevents Covid" I didn't think the thread could get any worse.

But sweet Jesus of Nazareth!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Had a few pints to celebrate the waterford win have we?

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Had a few pints to celebrate the waterford win have we?

Very much

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

OK, let's explain it in words of half a syllable in the forlorn hope that some of the people that haven't got it yet might get why some of the pubs remain closed.

The decision was made that pubs that don't serve food or have a kitchen in the premises are to remain closed. That's NOT saying that there's anything wrong with the precautions that may have been taken by the owner/landlord, it's just one way that the relevant people who make the decision have used as a necessary way to reduce the overall number of hospitality locations that are open and facilitating gathering of significant numbers of people, which is one of the major contributors to the spread of Covid across the population.

Like it or not, there are several levels of hospitality.

No 1 is the hotels.
    No 2 is restaurants and pubs that serve hot meals with a reasonable menu selection
    No 3 is "wet" pubs, that effectively only sell (primarily) alcoholic drink, though they might sell peanuts and crisps if you are lucky.

Brutal reality is that of the 3, if we need to reduce the total number of places where contact needs to be reduced, then group 3, the wet pubs, are serving the least beneficial total contribution to the mix. People need sleep, they need food, they can manage without alcoholic drink.

Maybe it would have been better if they'd said that all pubs painted green had to stay closed, or that if the name started with "T", or "F", or "L", they had to remain closed.

For all sorts of reasons, there's no easy option to allow some to open some days, and others to open on different days, and all hospitality open will only allow too much contact to keep the virus under control until there is a vaccine option available to supress it.

Food or no food is not really the issue, though there are good reasons for having food in the equation, as it does help to influence the total alcohol intake. Note I've said nothing about behaviour after too much drink is taken, though to deny that there are problems in this area is to ignore the elephant in the room.

The real reason for keeping things tight is to try and contain the spread of the virus, by reducing the number of places where numbers of people can gather for prolonged periods of time, and like it or not, it IS that simple.

The fact that some people get Covid and don't know they've got it only serves to make it more dangerous, in that their contact with other people may put vulnerable people at risk of contracting it, and their outcome may not be so benign.

Take a look at the figures coming out of some of the US states, do we really want that level of infection and death here, and the answer to that HAS to be a resounding NO. There may be a hundred different reasons why the death toll is so high, the reasons are in many respects irrelevant, the fact that people are dying when they did not need to is all we need to know, and anyone that thinks it's acceptable to put others at risk for their own pleasure has a much bigger problem than a possible dependence on alcohol.

The constant focus on wet pubs is only serving to annoy people who want to participate in larger gatherings for things like music, sport, theatre, etc, which have been equally badly affected by the ongoing restrictions. There are also massive effects on a range of social gatherings, but that's a much wider issue than the fact that some rural pubs can't operate at the moment, and not something that can be changed or dealt with until Covid is back under control, which right now it very much is NOT.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Can't see non food pubs opening at all now in December.

Or Jan for that matter..

It is truly depressing that in 2020 we have such attitudes, i give up

The man is using a handheld device that utilises satellites orbiting the planet, as well as other means, that is interconnected to every other person on the world with one of these devices, or one similar.

This device allows him to access almost every piece of information known to man. Almost every piece of information ever discovered or created, from the beginning of time.

And he called science "waffle".

Incredible!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The man is using a handheld device that utilises satellites orbiting the planet, as well as other means, that is interconnected to every other person on the world with one of these devices, or one similar.

This device allows him to access almost every piece of information known to man. Almost every piece of information ever discovered or created, from the beginning of time.

And he called science "waffle".

Incredible!!

Hmmmmm, I wonder what the judgement on some of the posts in this thread will be in the fullness of time. In a few months even, there will likely be people who will read these threads and wonder at the sanity of some of the opinions that have been expressed. The internet has some serious questions to answer about the validity and accuracy of a considerable quantity of the content, made massively worse by search engines (are you listening Google) that present as answers multiple pages that contain something that might be close to the search term that has been entered.

And no, this is not a backhanded swipe at MrStuffins, it's an observation on the overall quality of some of the stuff that's been hitting this site over the last while, and this site is nowhere near as bad as some of the bigger offenders.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Hmmmmm, I wonder what the judgement on some of the posts in this thread will be in the fullness of time. In a few months even, there will likely be people who will read these threads and wonder at the sanity of some of the opinions that have been expressed. The internet has some serious questions to answer about the validity and accuracy of a considerable quantity of the content, made massively worse by search engines (are you listening Google) that present as answers multiple pages that contain something that might be close to the search term that has been entered.

And no, this is not a backhanded swipe at MrStuffins, it's an observation on the overall quality of some of the stuff that's been hitting this site over the last while, and this site is nowhere near as bad as some of the bigger offenders.

Yes, there has been some absolute rubbish posted. People calling for "vengeance", people calling for publicans to incite their customers to violence against the Gardai, people being accused of being paedophiles (for some weird reason) for having different opinions on restrictions.

Conspiracy theory stuff with people talking of "Power Grabs", claiming there's a shadowy plot to keep pubs closed forever, a plot to keep us all locked down in a bit of control us and take away our freedoms.

Outright Covid denial, where people are denying that the virus is real. Also, denying that the vaccine is real.

All found on this thread!

"Mehole" this, "Dr Death" that, "scientific waffle" the other.

It's all gone a bit creepy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Very much

Don't agree at all with your comment back there , but think you are excused everything because of the night that's in it !
    Enjoy the celebrations and congratulations :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

MOH wrote: »
    Nobody's talking about night-long sessions ending in packed nightclubs.t.
    I am, so case closed, somebody is. Now, what is your understanding of the legal definition of the difference between a nightclub and a "regular pub" with no restrictions and a nighclub? is it only the opening hours? and if so explain what difference that would those hours make to anybody? Do you think nightclubs should be open , do you think pubs with pre-covid restrictions should be open?

I have been in plenty of pubs that turn into, what I am told are "nightclubs" just because of opening hours (maybe there are other laws I am unaware of, like the meal laws that distinguish restaurants from pubs). Plenty here seem to be agreed that a "nightclub" (whatever that is) should not be allowed to open for now.

For anybody who thinks nightclubs should remain closed then what legal requirements do you thing should be in place if gardai are to be able to enter a premises at midnight on a friday and be able to say "this is not a pub, it's a nightclub and therefore illegal". Spell it clearly out in legal terms, of course a regular pub would not be "fully seated"
    MOH wrote: »
    I strongly doubt a meal is going to make a huge difference to how drunk somebody is after 1:45. .
    excellent, walked yourself into it big time, yet again!!! so maybe you can be the sole person to answer what I have been asking repeatedly -the one you weaseled out of answering the last time yet again!

why do you think this law exists?
    Children aged 15 and over, who are accompanied by their parent or guardian, can stay on the premises after 9:00 (10:00 pm from May to September) if they are attending a private function where a substantial meal is being served

The amount of arseholes posting on this thread is unreal. It's just a few pints lads. Get over yourselves. Not being able to go to a pub when you want is not the worst thing that will ever happen to you in your lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭TheRealPONeil

Just knuckle down, let the boys get their few bob in December and back to level V in January 2021 --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0AoRkmj9YM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

The amount of arseholes posting on this thread is unreal. It's just a few pints lads. Get over yourselves. Not being able to go to a pub when you want is not the worst thing that will ever happen to you in your lives.

How many times must it be hammered into posters like you ?

It’s not just a few pints.
    It’s not just a pub.
    It is a meeting place for a local community.
    It can be the only contact some people have.
    It’s livelihoods of both landlord and staff.

The community card gets played a lot when it’s the furthest thing from the truth. Surely this whole episode has shown you that community is long dead in this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

The community card gets played a lot when it’s the furthest thing from the truth. Surely this whole episode has shown you that community is long dead in this country.

Absolutely not. And it’s not a “card to play” - it’s the life of the people in most of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Community is dead in Dublin, Limerick, cork etc I'd generally agree with that. But in rural Ireland people are trying their hardest to keep that sense of community spirit. And whether you like it or not the local pub (s) are a big part of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Community is dead in Dublin, Limerick, cork etc I'd generally agree with that. But in rural Ireland people are trying their hardest to keep that sense of community spirit. And whether you like it or not the local pub (s) are a big part of that.

Community dead in Dublin? Not where i live or not where i socialise in the city. Couldn't be further wrong and once next Friday come's along there's going be some craic around the town. I'm disappointed though that the wet pubs are not opening and can understand the annoyance of the people who rely on these pubs to socialise all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Posted at 3am, how hypocritical. :pac:

Listening to the radio there are some really nasty pieces of work out there, suggesting people boycott businesses reopening. Just goes to show yet again that there's nothing like a global crisis for people to show you who they really are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Posted at 3am, how hypocritical. :pac:

Listening to the radio there are some really nasty pieces of work out there, suggesting people boycott businesses reopening. Just goes to show yet again that there's nothing like a global crisis for people to show you who they really are.

You think they are bad around here, head over to the household rules thread! Losing their minds in there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

It's not just a "few pints" to many, it's the difference between sitting in on your own 24/7 for many people most notably elderly people who might not have any family and the local pub is their only sanctuary, not just elderly people either, may people see the pubs as a lifeline, mental health,isiolation are all many factors,etc,etc so no it's most certainly not just a "few pints"

Can people please not keep referring to pubs as "wet pubs" whoever came up with that word along with the equally as cringe "staycation" deserves to be ridiculed, awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

SB71 wrote: »
    Can people please not keep referring to pubs as "wet pubs" whoever came up with that word along with the equally as cringe "staycation" deserves to be ridiculed, awful.

I never heard of them before this covid to be honest but don't see a problem in using the word to distnguish between them and the food pubs that can reopen. When the covid is gone the words wet pub will never be used again i imagine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

The amount of arseholes posting on this thread is unreal.

Fair play for adding to the total.

I never heard of them before this covid to be honest but don't see a problem in using the word to distnguish between them and the food pubs that can reopen. When the covid is gone the word wet pub will never be used again i imagine :)

jaysus no it's cringe mate it's a pub and that's it :pac::)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

House parties aren't allowed either.

The authorities need to be able to enter people’s houses whenever they like so that they can maintain order and check for compliance.

• Advertisement

SB71 wrote: »
    It's not just a "few pints" to many, it's the difference between sitting in on your own 24/7 for many people most notably elderly people who might not have any family and the local pub is their only sanctuary, not just elderly people either, may people see the pubs as a lifeline, mental health,isiolation are all many factors,etc,etc so no it's most certainly not just a "few pints"

I keep hearing this argument about pubs being the only lifeline for those who need to get out and socialise.

That's absolute bullsh*t! Just because it's your preferred method of socialising, doesn't mean it's, in any universe, the only way people can socialise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement