Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The blame game continues...

I’m not blaming anyone. I specifically said it was just unfortunate as it’s the nature of the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Why wouldn't I?

Anyone who's as excited as you for a 2 week Restaupub opening doesn't give a rats about the publicans while 1000's of other publican's haven't opened their doors since March so cut the bs directed at the other poster..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Anyone who's as excited as you for a 2 week Restaupub opening doesn't give a rats about the publicans .....

This makes no sense. You're all over the place again!

I’m not blaming anyone. I specifically said it was just unfortunate as it’s the nature of the business.

Govt. decided to keep the pubs closed because of a "spike in cases" back in September..

Which ignored the fact that September was the months schools and colleges opened..

Every other country kept the bars open during the summer apart from Ireland... only recently seeing the rise in cases that came after the schools and colleges reopened...

Pubs still to blame...

This makes no sense. You're all over the place again!

Do you support the opening of Pubs yes or no, and I don't mean Restaupubs, straight answer now if you're able?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Govt. decided to keep the pubs closed because of a "spike in cases" back in September..

Which ignored the fact that September was the months schools and colleges opened..

Every other country kept the bars open during the summer apart from Ireland... only recently seeing the rise in cases that came after the schools and colleges reopened...

Pubs still to blame...

It wasn't ignored FYI. It was deemed that Schools and colleges are more important than pubs

Pubs still to blame...

I don’t think pubs are the main cause of transmission. Schools will certainly be a good place for transmissions. But I think I said in the earlier post that it’s unfortunate for pubs that they’re a non-essential business.

I don’t blame pubs for all the transmissions. But they’re low priority so they’re closer to the top of the list to close first. Nobody to blame, just the nature of the business.

It wasn't ignored FYI. It was deemed that Schools and colleges are more important than pubs

Sacrificed for would be more accurate a term...

Holohan wanted to sacrifice the hospitality sector further in December to keep household visits/mixing open, where he knew people would be mixing households anyways..

And while that’s unfortunate for pubs, it’s absolutely correct.

Do you support the opening of Pubs yes or no, and I don't mean Restaupubs, straight answer now if you're able?

Will I support pubs when they open this Christmas? I absolutely will! I shall support with my money.

I don't know what a Restaupub is. I think you've made that up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Sacrificed for would be more accurate a term...

Holohan wanted to sacrifice the hospitality sector further in December to keep household visits/mixing open, where he knew people would be mixing households anyways..

How brave of him to sacrifice other people's jobs and businesses.

We're lucky to have him.

I don’t think pubs are the main cause of transmission. Schools will certainly be a good place for transmissions. But I think I said in the earlier post that it’s unfortunate for pubs that they’re a non-essential business.
    I don’t blame pubs for all the transmissions. But they’re low priority so they’re closer to the top of the list to close first. Nobody to blame, just the nature of the business.

Closing them completely wasn't the solution either... Table service, early closing and a cut off point for all businesses selling alcohol would have been a better way to approach this...
    ...not only that but minimum pricing for off-sales/a ban on discount selling, customer quotas and no "dial-a-can" deliveries would have also levelled the playing field...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Have I it correct..

No booking required
    6 at a table
    Can stay until they close
    €9 meal required

Is there rules on outdoors, i.e the beer garden..local had a separate smoking area to the outdoor drinking area the last time, it was farcical getting kicked out of your seat to walk 3 meters to have a smoke.

Will I support pubs when they open this Christmas? I absolutely will! I shall support with my money.

I don't know what a Restaupub is. I think you've made that up.

But you don't support the Pubs because they're not opening and you know exactly what it means...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Why wouldn't I?

How are you supporting your local by taking free pints from him?? Moral support??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

But you don't support the Pubs because they're not opening and you know exactly what it means...

Ah don't bother its tedious. Round and round same nonsense during the summer.

Closing them completely wasn't the solution either... Table service, early closing and a cut off point for all businesses selling alcohol would have been a better way to approach this...
    ...not only that but minimum pricing for off-sales/a ban on discount selling, customer quotas and no "dial-a-can" deliveries would have also levelled the playing field...

Why do they need to level the playing field?

They took the sensible decision to close pubs as they’re non essential and their nature as an indoor business where people get drunk means they’re a good place to spread the virus. It’s unfortunate and no need to blame the pubs. It’s just the nature of their business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Not as buzzed now as i was last June for the food pub openings but i will try and support places over the next few weeks. Places will be a lot more busier cause of the time of year

Lets hope NPHET dont get there way and we might see food pubs kept open and maybe normal pubs opening up for Paddys day 2021

No, you're wrong here. My local pub will be opening. They're doing a special. Free pint with your €9 meal. I can taste it already.
    How are you supporting your local by taking free pints from him?? Moral support??

It's called a "Loss Leader".

A loss leader (also leader) is a pricing strategy where a product is sold at a price below its market cost, or given for free, to stimulate other sales of more profitable goods or services. With this sales promotion/marketing strategy, a "leader" is any popular article, i.e., sold at a normal price.

Not all loss leaders are delicious, but some are more delicious than others!

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Not as buzzed now as i was last June for the food pub openings but i will try and support places over the next few weeks. Places will be a lot more busier cause of the time of year

Lets hope NPHET dont get there way and we might see food pubs kept open and maybe normal pubs opening up for Paddys day 2021

Depending on vaccine rollout and how the numbers look, they might be perfectly reasonable.

• Advertisement

I imagine its the same hours as the summer with the 11pm last orders ?

Why do they need to level the playing field?
    They took the sensible decision to close pubs as they’re non essential and their nature as an indoor business where people get drunk means they’re a good place to spread the virus. It’s unfortunate and no need to blame the pubs. It’s just the nature of their business.

Sorry, thought that was obvious....Regulated environments like Pubs were closed up however you could still stock up on as much cheap booze as you could carry and invite all your mates over to drink until you passed out in your own home... to level the playing field by the methods I've specified would have had an impact on the spread of the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Ah don't bother its tedious. Round and round same nonsense during the summer.

Sure is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

No, you're wrong here. My local pub will be opening. They're doing a special. Free pint with your €9 meal. I can taste it already.

It's called a "Loss Leader".

A loss leader (also leader) is a pricing strategy where a product is sold at a price below its market cost, or given for free, to stimulate other sales of more profitable goods or services. With this sales promotion/marketing strategy, a "leader" is any popular article, i.e., sold at a normal price.

Not all loss leaders are delicious, but some are more delicious than others!

So you are taking advantage of your local landlord, while preaching about “support”. Got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I'm not sure if drinking at home is cheaper really. Pre lockdown I'd rarely drink at home but once a week have 6-8 pints in a pub. Since then I'd have 4 or 5 cans four or five times a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭mikekerry

saabsaab wrote: »
    I'm not sure if drinking at home is cheaper really. Pre lockdown I'd rarely drink at home but once a week have 6-8 pints in a pub. Since then I'd have 4 or 5 cans four or five times a week!

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/office-christmas-parties-banned-under-new-rules-for-restaurants-and-pubs-39809491.html

Turn down the tunes!

So you are taking advantage of your local landlord, while preaching about “support”. Got it.

I'm taking advantage alright!

Taking advantage of the opportunity to have a few lovely drinks over Christmas. Also taking advantage of of the opportunity to support my local with my business!

Taking advantage of seeing my friends and my family for a few drinks in my local pub.

And, of course, taking advantage of the fabulous offer being put on by my local pub.

Looking forward to it!

Don't feed it gentlemen. Once starved of oxygen it will wither away and die, then mature commentary among adults can resume.

mikekerry wrote: »

A bit of a farce and no way can i see that working in some places

People will pre drink, go in and get the cheapest/smallest food possible and once the xmas tunes come on its party central

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Don't feed it gentlemen. Once starved of oxygen it will wither away and die, then mature commentary among adults can resume.

I can hear the trip trapping over the bridge from here ...

Sorry, thought that was obvious....Regulated environments like Pubs were closed up however you could still stock up on as much cheap booze as you could carry and invite all your mates over to drink until you passed out in your own home... to level the playing field by the methods I've specified would have had an impact on the spread of the virus.

They could just make house parties where you “ stock up on as much cheap booze as you could carry and invite all your mates over to drink until you passed out in your own home” illegal.

They could just make house parties where you “ stock up on as much cheap booze as you could carry and invite all your mates over to drink until you passed out in your own home” illegal.

Yea, good one! :D :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Lost count of the amount of times I've reported him.

It's clearly trolling.

Nobody could be THAT oblivious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Depending on vaccine rollout and how the numbers look, they might be perfectly reasonable.
    I doubt vaccine rollout will have got far enough by then. Best info I came across is rollout taking 6-9 months. :(

Yea, good one! :D :rolleyes:

Yeah it’s a good idea. It’s also what they did and it was perfectly sensible.

• Advertisement

PommieBast wrote: »
    I doubt vaccine rollout will have got far enough by then. Best info I came across is rollout taking 6-9 months. :(

We’ll have to see how it works out. Pubs are likely going to open and close as the numbers change so let’s hope they numbers stay low and the vaccine rollout works.

They don’t have to vaccinate everyone. And they’re planning to start with the oldest and most vulnerable so it probably won’t be the bulk of pub-goers getting the vaccine in the first few months anyway. But once the most vulnerable are vaccinated then they can afford to allow transmission to go up a bit more as fewer people will likely die from it.

Lost count of the amount of times I've reported him.

It's clearly trolling.

Nobody could be THAT oblivious.

That's the thing though isn't it?

Opinions that differ to yours are either:

Anti-Pub
    Anti-Alcohol
    Pro-Nphet
    Pro-Holohan
    Pro-Government

now the final check on the bingo card

Trolling!

You're not so right that it's appropriate to report posts that you disagree with. Use your words. It's a discussion forum.

If it annoys you that I pointed out your hypocrisy in crying out for support for publicans but not giving them your business when they're open, that's too bad!

I will be supporting them by frequenting their premises and giving them my money. I urge others to do the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Gervais08 wrote: »
    Absolutely not. And it’s not a “card to play” - it’s the life of the people in most of the country.

Eh , yes " it's the life of the people in most of the country" ..I would say that is what the restrictions are trying to preserve.

You talking about" hammering " facts about pubs into other posters , just comes across as a lot of immature guff and tantrums because you can't go a wet pub.
    Go to a gastropub or a restaurant , support them instead and get over yourself :)

Goldengirl wrote: »
    You talking about" hammering " facts about pubs into other posters , just comes across as a lot of immature guff and tantrums because you can't go a wet pub.
    Go to a gastropub or a restaurant , support them instead and get over yourself :)

And when your village doesn't have a fancy Gastropub with a kitchen and a chef to make up a €9 meal and only has a Pub, which for many is the only place to meet socially on a winter's night, tough luck eh?

Pub, which for many is the only place to meet socially on a winter's night

This just isn't true, no matter how much you want it to be

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

And when your village doesn't have a fancy Gastropub with a kitchen and a chef to make up a €9 meal and only has a Pub, which for many is the only place to meet socially on a winter's night, tough luck eh?

Just waiting for the “there are loads of other places” - by those who’ve never spent time in a small rural town.

I’m far too old to gather in bus shelters to meet people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Shhhhhhh...... These lads don't exist, and there are no single elderly men in ireland, there definitely wasn't a news report about a lad with a clock who went to the local to chat.....

No sir, they don't exist......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

I'm still missing the Box....hopefully March 2021 if not before!

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Shhhhhhh...... These lads don't exist, and there are no single elderly men in ireland, there definitely wasn't a news report about a lad with a clock who went to the local to chat.....
    No sir, they don't exist......

It's certainly ignored by those who live in Cities and big towns, they can barely see beyond the end of their own noses..the Rural pub doesn't exist for them.

As for the willfully ignorant(delusional) troll... well they are on /Ignore now..

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Seriously, if you cannot be civil do not post as more of the sort of crap from the last few pages and you'll be getting threadbans as well as cards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

It's certainly ignored by those who live in Cities and big towns, they can barely see beyond the end of their own noses..the Rural pub doesn't exist for them.

As for the willfully ignorant(delusional) troll... well they are on /Ignore now..

I don't know a locals pub in inner city Dublin that doesn't have a few lads like that, I imagine it's worse the further west and south west you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭the rock29

mp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/the-old-man-and-the-alarm-clock-the-pub-photo-that-went-viral-1.4350037%3fmode=amp. So we want this again terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

the rock29 wrote: »
    mp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/the-old-man-and-the-alarm-clock-the-pub-photo-that-went-viral-1.4350037%3fmode=amp. So we want this again terrible
    Didn't that story turn out to be wrong? I'm sure I read that he's always carried it to remind him when it's time to get home for the news.

the rock29 wrote: »

What do you have against old lads who want to be home for the news?

• Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Anyone who's as excited as you for a 2 week Restaupub opening doesn't give a rats about the publicans while 1000's of other publican's haven't opened their doors since March so cut the bs directed at the other poster..

This makes absolutely no sense. How does him going for a pint in a gastropub affect the publicans who can’t open? What would “giving a rats” look like? What exactly should he do in order to pass your very weird morality test?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement