Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Loads of non-essential stuff is open. Non-essential means nothing.

from another very similar thread, so I think is valid here (if you disagree please let me know why)
    No one has mentioned nightclubs opening since the start of Covid. Yet bs artists like yourself drop them in every now and again as if people are pushing for them. No one expects a nightclub to open.
    What particular issue do you have with nightclubs? or issue you think others have?

I imagine many have "mentioned them" maybe not in this thread, I am mentioning them now. So what is the issue? I already asked in this thread and was ignored (as I expected), probably will be again... Everybody should feel free to explain, I am especially interested in those who think pubs should be able to open with no seating requirement but think nightclubs should remain closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭vafankillar

what's last order times for the new resrictions?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

what's last order times for the new resrictions?

My local is 10pm, not sure if that’s typical or demanded thought sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Perhaps one of the mods need to look at the way a number of posters have taken this thread away from discussing pubs and their reopening to a sort of social discussion about interaction between adults

For my tuppenceworth, nobody is forced to go to the pub to meet people and talk to them, the point is that it is easier. Its somewhat simpler to drop into the pub and have a quiet hour chatting to some people, watching some footie on the TV, whatever. I don`t want to be inviting people I would consider acquaintances not friends into my home. Also I have a family that call the Gardai on each other, report each other to the Revenue etc etc etc so I really don`t want to mix with them unless I absolutely have to at weddings funerals and so on..

Back to the pubs and I really look forward to the traditional pubs being open again. I suppose I`m lucky the 3 pubs close to me while smaller in size all do food and will reopen while the next village a couple of miles away just have 4 traditional pubs, have been closed since March excepts for 2 weeks and now are becoming more and more unlikely to reopen. They are the publicans who we need to support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If we’re starting from a subset of homeless people then were talking about a fairly small group. But are we also assuming these people have nobody to phone and chat with? Nobody they could go for a walk with? Anything to get through the next few months until the vaccine is rolled out sufficiently?

As with so many posts on here it all boils down to one simple thing: "I'm alright Jack".

Another person who likely is barely affected by the entire scenario but has decided to call into question the troubles of those who are.

"Why don't they just pick up the phone and chat to somebody". "Why don't they just go for a walk with somebody". "Thats what I would do".

Well, bully for you, with your family and your job and your home and your settled social circle. But it would do no harm to wrap your head around the idea that the number of people without those things are not a "fairly small group".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

rubadub wrote: »
    from another very similar thread, so I think is valid here (if you disagree please let me know why)

What particular issue do you have with nightclubs? or issue you think others have?

I imagine many have "mentioned them" maybe not in this thread, I am mentioning them now. So what is the issue? I already asked in this thread and was ignored (as I expected), probably will be again... Everybody should feel free to explain, I am especially interested in those who think pubs should be able to open with no seating requirement but think nightclubs should remain closed.

Has anyone asked for a pub to be opened with no seating requirements?

You go to a nightclub to meet, mingle and hopefully get a kiss/ride. You don't go to a nightclub to sit sedately and have a few drinks and a chat. I'd have no issue with late bars being opened either, once the restrictions remained in place. Not everyone works 9-5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Gervais08 wrote: »
    My local is opening Friday and isn’t imposing limits - their only rule is “be sound”.

I’m off work Friday as I was meant to up North scattering my Dad’s ashes and they have severe restrictions at the minute.

I’ll call in and while away a few hours with a book, a chat and swapping a few racing tips!

Good man yourself you march down there Friday and enjoy yourself and go back Saturday and Sunday if you want to and all don't pay any heed to the doom merchants and smug know it alls on here and if you get any decent tips don't be afraid to tell me!

I'm booked in Sunday myself have Monday off work haven't seen my mates in months I literally cannot wait for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

MrStuffins wrote: »
    That seems quite extreme. May I ask what exactly you are basing this on?

My logic is based on knowing what "essential" means. Pubs are not essential.

What's essential for a proposed 3 week lockdown in March 2020 and what's essential in a plan that could last 2 years are very very different things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

The anti pub brigade are welcome to stay at home cursing while the rest of us enjoy our Christmas drinks, a rake of gargle will be had :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

What about them creamy and delicious pints?

• Advertisement

What about them creamy and delicious pints?

I drink Peroni - if they’re creamy the pipes are off!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

SB71 wrote: »
    The anti pub brigade are welcome to stay at home cursing while the rest of us enjoy our Christmas drinks, a rake of gargle will be had :)

Well I will be in my local at 3pm on Friday ,and in Howth and Town on Sat
    Sunday yet to be decided

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It's a sickner for me that the local is gone now. It's a €30 taxi ride two ways to "town" to one of the bigger pubs that sell food. Can't see myself doing it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

fin12 wrote: »
    No I like using boards but it’s nothing compared to hanging out physically with people.

Sorry I wouldn’t believe a thing this government say about timescales, I have myself geared for not being back to normal till 2022.

I’m not selling you a government timescale. I think “normal” will include distancing in the medium term.

But social media, video chats are what we have for the moment. It’s up to us to make the most of them - or not. That’s a choice we all have to make for ourselves. Not all choices are equally healthy, but the choices are ours to make.

As with so many posts on here it all boils down to one simple thing: "I'm alright Jack".

Another person who likely is barely affected by the entire scenario but has decided to call into question the troubles of those who are.

"Why don't they just pick up the phone and chat to somebody". "Why don't they just go for a walk with somebody". "Thats what I would do".

Well, bully for you, with your family and your job and your home and your settled social circle. But it would do no harm to wrap your head around the idea that the number of people without those things are not a "fairly small group".

I have plenty of sympathy for someone in those situations. But my sympathy runs dry when someone says they can only meet other people in the pub, shrug at the suggestion of chatting on the phone, meeting in person for a walk and a chat, don’t even suggest other ways they have tried to get some social interactions.

It’s a really strange threat for someone to make that they’re holding their own mental health to ransom if the pubs don’t open. Phone chats and meeting people outside are suboptimal but valid options in the current situation.

I live with one other person and a cat. I have not met family or friends in person since mid-October. It’s inconvenient but I do my best to keep in touch through phone calls and a few group chats with friends. We all make our own choices on how to deal with this situation and not all choices are equally healthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There's no substitute for the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I have plenty of sympathy for someone in those situations. But my sympathy runs dry when someone says they can only meet other people in the pub, shrug at the suggestion of chatting on the phone, meeting in person for a walk and a chat, don’t even suggest other ways they have tried to get some social interactions.

Phone calls and Zoom are all well and good, but I don't think it's fair that someone with privilege doesn't think that a rural pub is a place where often elderly isolated people go to see others in their community, they don't have Cafe's or shopping centers to go to, the local pub isn't a place where they go to knock back a load of pints and shouldn't be treated the same as pubs in busy towns and cities...
    Rural pubs were already in decline in the "Before Covid" world, and now they are being killed off completely...
    There's really little else in small communities, no activities for older people to meet up socially...
    So a pint with some of your neighbours is the only human contact they will get... there's really no reason to keep them closed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Also, even if he really meant this, and genuinely thought that the only possible place he could meet his friends and family was the pub, that doesn't make it true.

I know a lad who "knows" that the moon is a base for a race of secret lizard overlords..... doesn't make him right!

i only see the lads in the pub. its called having friends and being close to middle aged, with wife and kids, i presume your lacking on the friends and social side of things.

dunno why though, you sound like a party.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Phone calls and Zoom are all well and good, but I don't think it's fair that someone with privilege doesn't think that a rural pub is a place where often elderly isolated people go to see others in their community, they don't have Cafe's or shopping centers to go to, the local pub isn't a place where they go to knock back a load of pints and shouldn't be treated the same as pubs in busy towns and cities...
    Rural pubs were already in decline in the "Before Covid" world, and now they are being killed off completely...
    There's really little else in small communities, no activities for older people to meet up socially...
    So a pint with some of your neighbours is the only human contact they will get... there's really no reason to keep them closed...

There’s one reason to keep the closed.... and I think we both know that.

I’m from a rural, one shop/post office, one pub, one one church, one sport team village originally. I get it.

If you’re concerned for the old people with nobody to talk to, have you called any of them?

In any case, the vaccine will hopefully sort it all out so the pubs open as close to normal as is sensible

copeyhagen wrote: »
    i only see the lads in the pub. its called having friends and being close to middle aged, with wife and kids, i presume your lacking on the friends and social side of things.

dunno why though, you sound like a party.

That’s only one way for middle aged people to have friends. It’s a bit self-limiting to suggest that THE way to have friends in middle age.

But the main feature of this post is slagging someone for having no friends which is precisely the point for which other pro-opening pubs people are appealing sympathy.

Say you’re pro pub: “you’re privileged and don’t have sympathy for people without friends”
    Slag off someone for having no friends: .... fine - as long as that person is opposed to opening pubs until it’s safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

There’s one reason to keep the closed.... and I think we both know that.
    I’m from a rural, one shop/post office, one pub, one one church, one sport team village originally. I get it.
    If you’re concerned for the old people with nobody to talk to, have you called any of them?
    In any case, the vaccine will hopefully sort it all out so the pubs open as close to normal as is sensible

If cafe's everywhere can open then a quiet pub with a small number of customers can do also, we're not talking groups of young lads necking pints every night here and as you come from a rural community then you know this already..

It would be pretty strange for me to start phoning strangers from all over the country right?

Small villages with zero cases of Covid should be allowed to live in "Tier 1" lockdown, no reason to keep them in the same level of Lockdown as Dublin or Cork..

If cafe's everywhere can open then a quiet pub with a small number of customers can do also, we're not talking groups of young lads necking pints every night here and as you come from a rural community then you know this already..

It would be pretty strange for me to start phoning strangers from all over the country right?

Small villages with zero cases of Covid should be allowed to live in "Tier 1" lockdown, no reason to keep them in the same level of Lockdown as Dublin or Cork..

Ok. Put your proposal for small pubs where nobody necks pints, to the government. I’m not in charge so no point telling me about it.

It depends on whether you care about the poor old fella who has nobody to talk to for his sake or just for your own sake of making a case for pubs to reopen.

You could just start with phoning an old person in that situation that worries you, and chat to them. But I’m not telling you what to do. You’ll decide whether you care enough about them to just use them for an argument or to do something to help them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Neowise

I agree.

If a rural village was to build a barrier around itself, and ban all crossings of that barrier, and after two weeks was still covid free, then they should be able to goto "Tier 1" or 'level 1 of living with covid'.
    But if anybody was to leave the village, they would not be allowed to return, or if they did return or someone new was to enter the vilage, they would need to quarantine for 2 weeks and the level of the village be raised until their quarantines were over.

Chat to whom on the phone?

Meet who for a walk?

Why can't you understand that simple little part of the equation, that the chats, calls, zoom parties etc rely on pre-existing contacts. Meeting somebody you already know in other words.

But there are a lot of people who don't have those social contacts, and covid has taken away all of their options for getting one, because by definition the sort of social outreach to new people that they need is forbidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

What about the hundreds of sq km around where I live... we should have been on the lower tiers all of this last year... many local pubs in villages and towns here unable to open for the locals. Yet we had 1000s of tourists from all over Ireland and the world. Do we not get to enjoy a pint or cuppa.
    Hhm maybe we should build a wall/checkpoint for the hols and not let in anyone who helped make this discrimnatory rule the effects rural Ireland. You in the Dail etc that holidayed here..please dont expect a cead mile failte next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭Cork2021

VFI & LVA ain’t going to lay down anymore id say.

https://twitter.com/vfipubs/status/1334145871143899141?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Cork2021 wrote: »

Good about time they grew a pair

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭mikekerry

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Good about time they grew a pair

Can they not just get together and all open up.

Could we hire them instead of Nephet.. thats a really good hard hitting analysis of the information on hand...better than some of the fuzzy stuff we hear from the experts.

Time for a court case like in Germany and other countrys if they cannot refute it with hard chain of evidence... not suposition from a belagured contact tracing tracing(who I am not blaming) and undetailed generalised epi reports.

• Advertisement

Like Phoenix rising from the ashes. Finally waking up from their slumber and realising that the Irish public are being codded by selective manipulation of key data to portray traditional pubs in a negative light.

"The overall approach of the research is to use spurious correlation to imply causation."

Confirming what most of us already know. Enough is enough, open the traditional pubs for trade with the others on December 4. Rescuing a struggling sector from ruination, let the nervous nellies awaiting the vaccine stay at home. All parties are satisfied, except the curtain twitchers who are entitled to vent their sputum at Joe Duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

speckle wrote: »
    Could we hire them instead of Nephet.. thats a really good hard hitting analysis of the information on hand...better than some of the fuzzy stuff we hear from the experts.

Time for a court case like in Germany and other countrys if they cannot refute it with hard chain of evidence... not suposition from a belagured contact tracing tracing(who I am not blaming) and undetailed generalised epi reports.

It's "experts", not experts. People who are often wrong should never have the title of being an expert in something. A degree alone, certainly doesn't make someone an expert in a field.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Chat to whom on the phone?

Meet who for a walk?

Why can't you understand that simple little part of the equation, that the chats, calls, zoom parties etc rely on pre-existing contacts. Meeting somebody you already know in other words.

But there are a lot of people who don't have those social contacts, and covid has taken away all of their options for getting one, because by definition the sort of social outreach to new people that they need is forbidden.

Are we talking about people who have absolutely no family or friends AND get ALL their social contact in the pub? I just don’t think there are “hundreds of thousands” of people in that exact situation, as another poster claimed earlier.

Are you in that situation yourself? Absolutely nobody you could call for a chat or a walk or whatever innovative way you can think of, to get some social contact?

It’s a bummer for anyone in that situation, no doubt about that. No system is perfect an some people will fall through the cracks - not something I’m happy about, just an observation of fact.

But if people won’t try anything else to get some social contact, then I think it’s hard to expect the government to give in to their first demand.

TomTomTim wrote: »
    It's "experts", not experts. People who are often wrong should never have the title of being an expert in something. A degree alone, certainly doesn't make someone an expert in a field.

'So called experts' then so it is. :)

But if people won’t try anything else to get some social contact

I thought you might be wrapping your head around the issue but then you finish with this.

Try what else? What else should they try? Enlighten us?

SOCIAL CONTACT IS HEAVILY RESTRICTED and most definitely heavily discouraged as a public health issue. So if you are a person with no social contacts today, how do you go about getting them? Where do you go?

Remember, any answer you give needs to adhere to the public health restrictions in place.

I thought you might be wrapping your head around the issue but then you finish with this.

Try what else? What else should they try? Enlighten us?

SOCIAL CONTACT IS HEAVILY RESTRICTED and most definitely heavily discouraged as a public health issue. So if you are a person with no social contacts today, how do you go about getting them? Where do you go?

Remember, any answer you give needs to adhere to the public health restrictions in place.

Are you one of the people with no family or friends to phone or go for a walk with and can only chat with strangers or acquaintances in the pub?

Sure, going to the pub doesn’t adhere to the guidelines either so have you struck that off the list? But if we’re including things like pubs, then the scope is wide open.

There no point me suggesting a list of things and you telling me why you don’t want to do them. So I’ll just tell you one instance I heard about from my mother at the weekend: our small village as mentioned earlier, someone put up a hand written sign in the shop window offering to go for a walk at whatever time on Sunday.

Simple, to the point, practical. I don’t know who posted the sign or who turned up. But the notion that pubs are the only place people are allowed to meet and talk, is just untrue.

But I’m sure you’ve tried things like that already.... right?

• Advertisement

Are you one of the people with no family or friends to phone or go for a walk with and can only chat with strangers or acquaintances in the pub?

Sure, going to the pub doesn’t adhere to the guidelines either so have you struck that off the list? But if we’re including things like pubs, then the scope is wide open.

There no point me suggesting a list of things and you telling me why you don’t want to do them. So I’ll just tell you one instance I heard about from my mother at the weekend: our small village as mentioned earlier, someone put up a hand written sign in the shop window offering to go for a walk at whatever time on Sunday.

Simple, to the point, practical. I don’t know who posted the sign or who turned up. But the notion that pubs are the only place people are allowed to meet and talk, is just untrue.

Sure yeah, I’ll just go for a walk in a remote area with someone who put a sign up in a window.

Don’t see any drawbacks to that plan.....

Gervais08 wrote: »
    Sure yeah, I’ll just go for a walk in a remote area with someone who put a sign up in a window.

Don’t see any drawbacks to that plan.....
    I’m not asking you to do anything. Just pointing out that this notion that the only place people are able to chat is in the pub, is guff. But I’m sure you’ve tried lots of innovative ways to meet up with other people and get your chats since lockdown began, right?

This is a small village where everyone knows everyone. There are no strangers.

So I’ll just tell you one instance I heard about from my mother at the weekend: our small village as mentioned earlier, someone put up a hand written sign in the shop window offering to go for a walk at whatever time on Sunday.

Ok, so to start we have "Put a sign in a shop window asking for people to come meet and go for a walk".

It's mixing with other households but it is outside so lets run with it, I'm sure nothing could go wrong with putting a sign in a shop window and asking random people to show up, I bet women in particular would love it.

Thats one, any other suggestions?
    But the notion that pubs are the only place people are allowed to meet and talk, is just untrue.
    This is such disingenuous rubbish. I know loads of ways and places to meet people but here is the thing, we aren't allowed to do any of them. Because social distancing.

Just pointing out that this notion that the only place people are able to chat is in the pub, is guff.

Again, disingenuous strawman rubbish.

Nobody thinks that pubs are the only place to meet new people, that has never been the problem.

Ok, so to start we have "Put a sign in a shop window asking for people to come meet and go for a walk".

It's mixing with other households but it is outside so lets run with it, I'm sure nothing could go wrong with putting a sign in a shop window and asking random people to show up, I bet women in particular would love it.

Thats one, any other suggestions?

This is such disingenuous rubbish. I know loads of ways and places to meet people but here is the thing, we aren't allowed to do any of them. Because social distancing.

You’re not allowed to meet people in the pub either so are we ruling that out too?

I’m not offering you any solutions at all. I simply told you one way that other people are dealing with the situation without demanding that they don’t have to change the way they normally do things.

It’s your own mental health we’re talking about, it’s your job work in good faith to find ways to keep it in good shape. If you’re sure that physical contact is necessary, then it’s your job to find ways to actually achieve it. It’s not my job to tell you ways that other people are achieving it so you can tell me why you don’t want to do those things. I know other people are doing it for themselves.

If your mental heal try is suffering then you have my sympathy. I hope you start to look for ways to get your social contact. Sitting around waiting for the pubs to reopen probably isn’t the healthiest solution.

• Advertisement

Again, disingenuous strawman rubbish.

Nobody thinks that pubs are the only place to meet new people, that has never been the problem.

Stall the ball, I didn’t say “new people” but others have said the pub is the ONLY place they can meet people.

So do you and I agree that the pub isn’t the only place people can meet?

You’re not allowed to meet people in the pub either so are we ruling that out too?

I’m not offering you any solutions at all. I simply told you one way that other people are dealing with the situation without demanding that they don’t have to change the way they normally do things.

It’s your own mental health we’re talking about, it’s your job work in good faith to find ways to keep it in good shape. If you’re sure that physical contact is necessary, then it’s your job to find ways to actually achieve it. It’s not my job to tell you ways that other people are achieving it so you can tell me why you don’t want to do those things. I know other people are doing it for themselves.

If your mental heal try is suffering then you have my sympathy. I hope you start to look for ways to get your social contact. Sitting around waiting for the pubs to reopen probably isn’t the healthiest solution.

In other words, you got nothing.

You swan into threads like these and pontificate about things like "why don't these people just pull up their bootstraps and phone a friend for a walk" when the simple fact is that you don't really understand the issue in the first place and you don't have any meaningful solutions.

By the way, your snide attempts to keep asking about my personal circumstances when this isn't about me are transparent and pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The sad reality is the VFI and LVA can give out all the want but the Government /NPHET wont overturning the decision and have settled with helping out with grands and all that

It's a bloody disgrace and then the faracial rules for the food pubs. Covid is grand that if the chicken wings/pizza are made on site and not from a takeaway, it also respects orders over €9 and dislikes music over a certain noise level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I’m not asking you to do anything. Just pointing out that this notion that the only place people are able to chat is in the pub, is guff. But I’m sure you’ve tried lots of innovative ways to meet up with other people and get your chats since lockdown began, right?

This is a small village where everyone knows everyone. There are no strangers.

U keep going on about meeting people for walks and all this, we are doing that but we are sick of it and just want to go to the f*cking pub, it’s that simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The sad reality is the VFI and LVA can give out all the want but the Government /NPHET wont overturning the decision and have settled with helping out with grands and all that

It's a bloody disgrace and then the faracial rules for the food pubs. Covid is grand that if the chicken wings/pizza are made on site and not from a takeaway, it also respects orders over €9 and dislikes music over a certain noise level

Why are they not protesting on the streets? I’m actually pissed off with them myself for just sitting back and taking this sh*t, all they seem to be doing is giving interviews and posting on social media. Can they not get of their holes and protest, like I’d join them but I can’t join a non existent protest.

The sad reality is that the VFI and LVA are a day late and a dollar short.

Its been 8 months and its only now that they are even starting to hint at legal action or demanding evidence from NPHET, when they should have been screaming bloody murder back in the summer.

Now the damage is done, their industry is in the toilet, certain behaviors have become accepted and they have far too much ground to make up.

In other words, you got nothing.

You swan into threads like these and pontificate about things like "why don't these people just pull up their bootstraps and phone a friend for a walk" when the simple fact is that you don't really understand the issue in the first place and you don't have any meaningful solutions.

By the way, your snide attempts to keep asking about my personal circumstances when this isn't about me are transparent and pathetic.

In that post you attributed a quote to me which I haven’t said...

I’m asking where we’re talking about you or if it’s just hypothetical to you. Nothing snide about it. You built the circumstances to make the point so I’m asking if they apply to you or if they’re just made up for the sake of making a point. That’s relevant.

Naturally, you don’t have to answer.

If it doesn’t apply to you then could I say “You swan into threads like these and pontificate about things like "what about all the people who have no family, no friends, nobody to call or talk to and can only talk to acquaintances in the pub"* when the simple fact is that you don't really understand the issue in the first place and you don't have any meaningful solutions” except opening the pubs?

*quote is made up, as was the one you made up above.

fin12 wrote: »
    U keep going on about meeting people for walks and all this, we are doing that but we are sick of it and just want to go to the f*cking pub, it’s that simple.

Oh I get that it’s that childish. I get that all the pretence of caring for the poor old fella who sits and the end of the bar, with the flat cap and the white hair and sups a couple of pints and gets his social interactions, is just facade for “ we are sick of it and just want to go to the f*cking pub, it’s that simple”.

I get that it’s that simple.

The vaccine will be along shortly, pubs will open and it will be moot, PG. Then they can stop pretending to care about the poor auld fella with no company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The vaccine will be along shortly, pubs will open and it will be moot, PG. Then they can stop pretending to care about the poor auld fella with no company.

Like everything this Government gets their hands on here, this will take way longer than other European nations and Dr Tony/NPHET are in no rush to approve it and Donnelly will be influenced by that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Like everything this Government gets their hands on here, this will take way longer than other European nations and Dr Tony/NPHET are in no rush to approve it and Donnelly will be influenced by that

You're just rambling now.........

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement