Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Like everything this Government gets their hands on here, this will take way longer than other European nations and Dr Tony/NPHET are in no rush to approve it and Donnelly will be influenced by that

Ok. I don’t have a strong opinion either way on that. Theres a balance to be struck between
    1. making sure all the safety checks are carried out and passed successfully, this giving the public confidence that it’s not just being rushed out, with
    2. Getting the vaccine rolled out quickly, thoroughly and effectively.

The anti vaccine people will be pretty important over the next year or two while the vaccinations are being rolled out and improved. I’m fine with making sure the vaccines are safe and effective. It will ultimately make the rollout run more smoothly.

The Irish government is as keen as any other government to get the economy back up and running. I can’t think of any reason they would be blasé about it. But I don’t have much evidence one way or the other.

Even if the Irish government ballsed it up on purpose or by mistake and it took an extra couple of weeks to roll out, they will get it rolled out and pubs (and all the other businesses) will get back towards normal. Here’s to hoping it goes well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The vintners have to get legal. That EY report is slanderous and vastly misleading.

There is nothing absolutely nothing to say that a bar that opens without serving food holds more danger than a pub that serves food. Absolutely zilch evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Can anyone link the official guidelines

A lot of confusion around in the main thread about numbers, time limits etc

We all knw of the €9 meal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The vintners have to get legal. That EY report is slanderous and vastly misleading.

There is nothing absolutely nothing to say that a bar that opens without serving food holds more danger than a pub that serves food. Absolutely zilch evidence.

Press up group already have a case in the works, vintners will be happy to amplify that.

As toothless and spineless a "lobby group" as has ever existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭Cork2021

100% they need to go the legal route now. Highly unfair what’s been done to all those businesses and employees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I’m surprised more groups haven’t taken court cases. Yer man John Waters and Gemma O Doherty did it early on in the first lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

I’m actually kinda surprised at how poor that EY report is.

It’s almost like “here’s the answer we need now work you’re way back to get there, doesn’t need to be anything too exact or anything”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

the kelt wrote: »

It’s almost like “here’s the answer we need now work you’re way back to get there, doesn’t need to be anything too exact or anything”

The same crowd who audited AIB and Lehmann Brothers. I don't know why anybody would take them seriously anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

From UK but the relevant part is

'data suggesting that 41% of under-30s with coronavirus, caught it in a pub or bar,'

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/headlines/2020/oct/are-pubs-and-bars-blame-covid-spread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Has anyone asked for a pub to be opened with no seating requirements? .
    yes :confused:
    if you want me to waste my time and find posts of people asking for pubs to go "back to normal" then I might consider it, but do you really think there are no such people?! I am pretty sure I could find some in this very thread if not others. I have heard it from people in work and could easily find it asked on other websites if that will convince you? Do you really think there are people who would not like to be able to stand and order at a bar like they always did? a friend of mine prefers standing at a bar with us seated, even if seats are available!
    You go to a nightclub to meet, mingle and hopefully get a kiss/ride. You don't go to a nightclub to sit sedately and have a few drinks and a chat. I'd have no issue with late bars being opened either, once the restrictions remained in place. Not everyone works 9-5.
    I fully agree, 100%, esp. the 9-5 as I was pre-empting some excuse that nightclubs "are different as they open late". So do you want pubs which are extremely similar to nightclubs to be closed? and how do you propose to legal define these? I would ask that of your numerous "thankers" of that post too. I am really curious. I have no problem with "quiet auld lad pubs" being open who are not taking the piss. It's like when I hear people saying junk food should be taxed or restricted, -give me the legal definition which will not have people taking the piss and finding loopholes.

from the similar thread
    rubadub wrote: »
    christ, how pathetic an attempt of weaseling out. I am looking for legalistic reasons here.

I am looking for answers..., is your suggestion to have gardai going around looking for people finger blasting young ones in the beer garden of late opening nighclub-like pubs with blasting music? and deeming them to be too similar to nightclubs.

The problem I am (quite obviously) talking about, is how do you legally distinguish between "auld lad rural pint pubs" and "city centre early opening nightclub style pubs" which are pretty much indistinguishable at 11.45 as they are at 1:35, if they have the legal ability to turn into a nightclub (if your definition of which is solely based on time)".

What are the restrictions would you want in the pubs? (if any), many seem to want them back similar to what they were, e.g. being able to stand at a bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

rubadub wrote: »
    yes :confused:
    if you want me to waste my time and find posts of people asking for pubs to go "back to normal" then I might consider it, but do you really think there are no such people?! I am pretty sure I could find some in this very thread if not others. I have heard it from people in work and could easily find it asked on other websites if that will convince you? Do you really think there are people who would not like to be able to stand and order at a bar like they always did? a friend of mine prefers standing at a bar with us seated, even if seats are available!

I fully agree, 100%, esp. the 9-5 as I was pre-empting some excuse that nightclubs "are different as they open late". So do you want pubs which are extremely similar to nightclubs to be closed? and how do you propose to legal define these? I would ask that of your numerous "thankers" of that post too. I am really curious. I have no problem with "quiet auld lad pubs" being open who are not taking the piss. It's like when I hear people saying junk food should be taxed or restricted, -give me the legal definition which will not have people taking the piss and finding loopholes.

from the similar thread

Make all pubs have the same requirements as now. That’s how you you differentiate between pubs that are similar to nightclubs. 1hr45 or 2m between tables. Table service only. No food requirement. A lot of pubs have spent hundreds/thousands bringing their venues up to code already. Gardai already have the power to shut any establishment not adhering to the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

the kelt wrote: »

Apply the same "evidence" to schools and they're far, far worse

Mikey Healy Rae holding court on the Tonight Show with Matt Cooper and Lisa Chambers (FF), "Micheál Martin would choke on a pint if he tried to drink it". Spitting fire, "it is totally unfair on respectable people operating traditional pubs in rural Ireland. Wrong! And you Lisa, you're one of the lieutenants supporting them!". Nine times out of ten I disagree with the flatcap, however here he is completely spot on. We need more with his vigour, VFI take note.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Mikey Healy Rae holding court on the Tonight Show with Matt Cooper and Lisa Chambers (FF), "Micheál Martin would choke on a pint if he tried to drink it". Spitting fire, "it is totally unfair on respectable people operating traditional pubs in rural Ireland. Wrong! And you Lisa, you're one of the lieutenants supporting them!". Nine times out of ten I disagree with the flatcap, however here he is completely spot on. We need more with his vigour, VFI take note.

There is more to the pubs getting the short end of the stick than covid, this country is a nanny state and the nanny staters wont want to release the squeeze on the pubs, covid is only a smoke screen for the bigger agenda.

They'll use covid as a smoke screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Mc Dowell got his wish for cafe culture. This was the plan all along, and Holahoop helped it along. No food, no drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Mc Dowell got his wish for cafe culture. This was the plan all along, and Holahoop helped it along. No food, no drink.
    A temporary cafe culture, perhaps. However, normal service will resume once the "substantial meal" requirement is consigned to history. Peoples habits and behaviours haven't been altered to the extent that they will forever be compelled to order food when out drinking. The reality is that most people see this as an inconvenience and, once gone, any perceived cafe culture will be gone too. If I want a substantial meal, I'll go to a proper restaurant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Does anyone know what’s going to happen New Years night? Will u be allowed to stay till midnight or r u best to book a table in a hotel restaurant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Everything booked out for this weekend already. Gov have messed up big time on this. People crowding into the few places left open over Xmas and resentment growing. Meanwhile vaccinations starting in NI next week.

Political and economic suicide.

This is over by April. We may not even see a third wave, if we do it will be cut short.

When is the next election?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

fin12 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what’s going to happen New Years night? Will u be allowed to stay till midnight or r u best to book a table in a hotel restaurant?

Even hotels have to have people out of there bars and restaurants by 1130 last call will be 1030 latest anywere

Even hotels have to have people out of there bars and restaurants by 1130 last call will be 1030 latest anywere

But one of the restaurants I’m looking at allows u to make a table booking for 10 or 10:30 pm as it says they serve food till 11pm so technically if I book the table for 10:30 pm should be allowed stay till 12:15

• Advertisement

But one of the restaurants I’m looking at allows u to make a table booking for 10 or 10:30 pm as it says they serve food till 11pm so technically if I book the table for 10:30 pm should be allowed stay till 12:15

Law is off premises by 11.30 i work in the trade

What about if ur staying in the hotel?

What about if ur staying in the hotel?

Doesn't matter off up to your room. All patrons must be out of restaurants by 1130 at latest.

Hotels are advertising New Year’s Eve night dinner €55 for 5 course meal and Prosecco and entertainment so are u honestly telling me if people fork out for that they won’t be there till midnight ,to ring in the new year, I find that very hard to believe. Whether it’s the law or not.

Hotels are advertising New Year’s Eve night dinner €55 for 5 course meal and Prosecco and entertainment so are u honestly telling me if people fork out for that they won’t be there till midnight ,to ring in the new year, I find that very hard to believe. Whether it’s the law or not.

Any place planning on doing this will more than likely get a visit from the guards. I know people who stayed in hotels last time these restrictions where in place and guards arrived every night to make sure they were complying.. unfortunately rules are rules. I would much prefer to be able stay open aswell for midnight etc but it's currently against the guidelines that have been issued.

Just cause it’s the law doesn’t mean everyone enforces it, hotel near me for the last six weeks were allowing people to sit outside and drink their coffees , had a tent set up. Garda station at the back of it.

Anyway I’ll be contacting the hotels I’m interested To find out what the story is re midnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭showpony1

Any place planning on doing this will more than likely get a visit from the guards. I know people who stayed in hotels last time these restrictions where in place and guards arrived every night to make sure they were complying.. unfortunately rules are rules. I would much prefer to be able stay open aswell for midnight etc but it's currently against the guidelines that have been issued.

I imagine as with Xmas there might be some sort of easing until midnight for NYE. "Last time" etc isn't a one off occasion celebrated at midnight.

showpony1 wrote: »
    I imagine as with Xmas there might be some sort of easing until midnight for NYE. "Last time" etc isn't a one off occasion celebrated at midnight.

I honestly don't think so as its meant to be restaurants open and do you think people will social distance at midnight or hug and kiss people? That's why I think there is zero chance unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The first few nights of the 2am close return will be fun

My drink tolerance is all over the place atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭vafankillar

what is closing time under new restrictions does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Imagine a bunch of hired sharks spinning a story as they were directed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

showpony1 wrote: »

Highly doubtful. Its in legislation everyone out by 11.30.

Would imagine the Gardai will enforce it that night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Do you know the restrictions for tomorrow? Can you stay as long as you want? Etc.

what is closing time under new restrictions does anyone know?

Same as last time out by 11.30

Do you know the restrictions for tomorrow? Can you stay as long as you want? Etc.

Its the exact same as it was in the summer.

2m distance at tables no time limit, 1m = 105 minutes. Up to each place what they implement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

If the rates continue to fall, you would expect a further lessening of restrictions. If we were in daily double digits, they could consider relaxing the restrictions for NYE at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

surely this doesnt include accomodation as well, if so thats a seriously incredible deal,unless the hotel is an absolute dump.

2m distance at tables no time limit, 1m = 105 minutes. Up to each place what they implement

the vast majority of places wont have a time limit id imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

lol, you do realise they work on a skeletal force over Xmas and NY.

im sure they have more important things to be doing than twitching hotel curtains at midnight on NYE.. haha

• Advertisement

Tazz T wrote: »
    Everything booked out for this weekend already. Gov have messed up big time on this. People crowding into the few places left open over Xmas and resentment growing. Meanwhile vaccinations starting in NI next week.

Political and economic suicide.

This is over by April. We may not even see a third wave, if we do it will be cut short.

When is the next election?

im sure everywhere isnt booked out, some of the more pipular bars are but not everywhere.

SB71 wrote: »
    the vast majority of places wont have a time limit id imagine.

every place in Dublin in swords, malahide, that area are enforcing the 1.45.

presuambly its to get as many customers in the door with 9e poxy food as they can. understandable in fairness, dr hush will no doubt suggest shutting them down again after Xmas

copeyhagen wrote: »

presuambly its to get as many customers in the door with 9e poxy food as they can. understandable in fairness, dr hush will no doubt suggest shutting them down again after Xmas

A few of us have booked 2 different places for the 19th in Swords. Were lucky to get somewhere considering the All Ireland football final is that evening

A few of us have booked 2 different places for the 19th in Swords. Were lucky to get somewhere considering the All Ireland football final is that evening

same, were in schoolhouse and betsy that night.., cant get anywhere now for next few weeks

same, were in schoolhouse and betsy that night.., cant get anywhere now for next few weeks

We have the schoolhouse booked as well. Dont know where else they booked

i cant imagine people bothering so, people will just go to places where theres no time limit,lunacy as most people would stay there the might anyway.

• Advertisement

surely this doesnt include accomodation as well, if so thats a seriously incredible deal,unless the hotel is an absolute dump.

No it doesn’t lol, but the hotel I’m going to this Sunday for €75 each u get to stay over, cocktail on arrival , 3 course dinner , break fast the next day and checkout 1pm and hotel is not a dump, it’s a 4 star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Who says this though? Is this in writing anywhere on gov website ?

No it doesn’t lol, but the hotel I’m going to this Sunday for €75 each u get to stay over, cocktail on arrival , 3 course dinner , break fast the next day and checkout 1pm and hotel is not a dump, it’s a 4 star.

im staying saturday night myself in town, a well known hotel, last time we stayed there they didnt ask us to order food either which was great,have a good one :)

if pubs try and enforce this ridicalous time limit they'll find that business wont be anywhere near as brisk as they hope as word gets out about the time limit the majority of people dont want to stay for 105 minutes unless it's lunchtime and your stopping for a quick bite to eat and a pint, i genuinely cant see many pubs telling people to leave because their time is up,i certainly wont be frequenting anywhere like this and ill be asking when i make a booking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

if pubs try and enforce this ridicalous time limit they'll find that business wont be anywhere near as brisk as they hope as word gets out about the time limit the majority of people dont want to stay for 105 minutes unless it's lunchtime and your stopping for a quick bite to eat and a pint, i genuinely cant see many pubs telling people to leave because their time is up,i certainly wont be frequenting anywhere like this and ill be asking when i make a booking.

You have the same number of people looking for space in half the number of restaurants/pubs that have half the number of seats.

Demand is through the roof, time limit or no time limit, and that's before you add in the Christmas rush.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement