Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Mikey Healy Rae holding court on the Tonight Show with Matt Cooper and Lisa Chambers (FF), "Micheál Martin would choke on a pint if he tried to drink it". Spitting fire, "it is totally unfair on respectable people operating traditional pubs in rural Ireland. Wrong! And you Lisa, you're one of the lieutenants supporting them!". Nine times out of ten I disagree with the flatcap, however here he is completely spot on. We need more with his vigour, VFI take note.

A lot of yapping and shouting then nothing happens.....a bit like the angry people on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

The vast majority will, more tables is more business. Dont expect to get more than 1hr 45 mins in most places.

The exact same as it was in the summer

I found in the summer most places in my town were strict on the time limit but one or two werent.
    This time around they're all going to be strict because they'll have another booking in after us for the table,they make a lot more on food so this is what'll be happening most places.
    Its a pain in the hoop and an inconvenience for sure ,the fact that it's only temporary means most rational people can deal with it, that cheers me up along with coming on here to marvel at the meltdowns!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

PommieBast wrote: »
    Given how long they have been kept closed, the question some of us are asking is if they will open rather than when. Nine months and counting of zero revenue is a sure fire way of becoming insolvent.

It's certainly what some people were asking but the past few pages it's morphed into some sort of weird thread about hating part time drinkers and people who wear jumpers to pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

HBC08 wrote: »
    I found in the summer most places in my town were strict on the time limit but one or two werent.
    This time around they're all going to be strict because they'll have another booking in after us for the table,they make a lot more on food so this is what'll be happening most places.
    Its a pain in the hoop and an inconvenience for sure ,the fact that it's only temporary means most rational people can deal with it, that cheers me up along with coming on here to marvel at the meltdowns!

Of course, you’re right and most people will mostly go along with most of the rules and it will hopefully work out well. Some of the big rebels on the thread are giving it loads, but most people will have their pints, be sensible and enjoy themselves while playing by the rules.

I really hope that anyone who books a table, either keeps the appointment or calls in good time to cancel it. Pubs have been through enough harm that was unfortunately necessary, they don’t need patrons wasting their opportunity to make a few quid on top of it. Worse still is patrons who won’t abide by the rules and wilfully give ammunition to close the pubs if they numbers go up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

Booked in tonight, taking to the barman who i know he said no time limit nonsense, enough sitting at home this year to last a lifetime, gonna go out all weekend on the gargle.:cool:

• Advertisement

Sure. You’ve got your excuses in early as to why you shouldn’t obey the rules. Sounds like you’re a right rebel, if your own account of yourself is accurate. I suppose we always have to take account of dobbers who won’t play by the rules, even in an emergency situation. They’re the people who can’t be relied upon to behave admirably. Thankfully, most people generally stick to the rules and help the whole thing run as smoothly as it can under the circumstances.

I wonder if you take your fair share of responsibility when the numbers go up or pubs close again?...(Joke: I don’t expect anyone with the attitude you expressed above to take any responsibility).

you enjoy sitting at home reading over covid stats while the rest of us go out and enjoy the pints, you sound like your great craic, the life and soul of the party ;):rolleyes:

SB71 wrote: »
    you enjoy sitting at home reading over covid stats while the rest of us go out and enjoy the pints, you sound like your great craic, the life and soul of the party ;):rolleyes:

Ok

I’m not telling you what to do. I don’t need to watch the stats - the government is watching them and the more people act the maggot the higher the numbers will go and as the numbers go, so goes the chances of pubs closing again.

It’s up to pubs and pub patrons to put a good face on the pub opening. The responsibility is on those who go, you’ll choose how you behave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Looking forward to a burger and a few pints tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

All I want is to go to my local on my own on Sunday lunchtime (With the papers under my arm) have a few pints, devour the papers, go home and have my dinner and chill for the rest of the day.
    I don't want food, I don't need company, Just my 30 year Sunday tradition restored. I don't care about the rest of the week, just 2 hours...Please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Anyone got access to the Indo?

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/dont-talk-wet-we-must-not-let-this-pandemic-be-used-as-an-excuse-to-kill-off-more-of-our-brilliant-traditional-pubs-39824786.html

After an abstemious November I walked around town yesterday, haunted by the pubs of Christmas past: Mulligan’s in Poolbeg Street, the Swan in Aungier Street, the Stag’s Head in Grattan’s Court, Slattery’s in Rathmines.

With their well-worn interiors, soft yellow light and creamy, dark pints, they’re the type of place where you go to catch up with old friends and the elusive spirit of the past.

But if you want to have a pint, you will have to patronise a pub masquerading as a restaurant and, along with it, an unwanted meal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Poetic.
    But I think wet traditional pubs will be fine in the long run. Even going by the sentiment on this page, and other social media channels, there is demand for their services - a simple pint and a chat, none of the trimmings espoused by the gastropubs. However, for the moment, like many other aspects of life, we will have to compromise, so a few scoops and forced food will have to do for a while. Bring on 2021!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Fitz* wrote: »

Have you got a booking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

SteM wrote: »
    It's certainly what some people were asking but the past few pages it's morphed into some sort of weird thread about hating part time drinkers and people who wear jumpers to pubs.

I have no problem with people wearing jumpers properly in pubs
    its the tossers who wander around the pub with their jumpers tied around their neck while they fondle a bottle of Heino that bother me

Tazz T wrote: »
    Have you got a booking?

If its his local and not in town he will hardly need it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Tazz T wrote: »
    Have you got a booking?

Yes. It's a local food pub.

Fitz* wrote: »
    Just bring your Passport, Friends phone no's, your mothers blood group ,Don't talk or look at anyone and we reserve the right to fcuk you out when we like.
    Have a wonderful evening.....
    ''Just Eat'' myself and the remote. Cans chilling.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

brisan wrote: »
    If its his local and not in town he will hardly need it

You'd be surprised. Vast majority are booked up this weekend and next.

You'd be surprised. Vast majority are booked up this weekend and next.

I have bookings for my the next 3 Saturdays and 2 for Christmas eve
    However they are not for my local, I will not need a booking for my local

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Ish66 wrote: »
    Just bring your Passport, Friends phone no's, your mothers blood group ,Don't talk or look at anyone and we reserve the right to fcuk you out when we like.
    Have a wonderful evening.....
    ''Just Eat'' myself and the remote. Cans chilling.....

One pub in my town is like that. The other one is grand. They take your phone number and thats it. Its like a normal pub/restaurant after that. No mask to the jacks nonsense.

Flash Bastard ! :D

• Advertisement

Good for you but know of plenty local pubs that do need bookings regardless with limited walk up availability.

So to say someone hardly needs one for a local isn't accurate. If someone doesn't want to be disappointed or left standing outside for a while then booking is the way to go.

Have my own local booked for 8pm a few nights

Ok

I’m not telling you what to do. I don’t need to watch the stats - the government is watching them and the more people act the maggot the higher the numbers will go and as the numbers go, so goes the chances of pubs closing again.

It’s up to pubs and pub patrons to put a good face on the pub opening. The responsibility is on those who go, you’ll choose how you behave.

My jaysus your such a ray of sunshine, how many hours a day do you spend on here talking about covid-19 :eek:

Wetherspoons in town walk ins only no bookings taken, and more importantly no time limit i asked the girl on the door as you walk in, it looked busy even at 1pm, i also checked another 2 pubs in town, 70% bookings and 30% walk ins, again no time limit in either, so whoever suggested that most pubs in town especially have a time limit might want to think again.

Wetherspoons in town walk ins only no bookings taken, and more importantly no time limit i asked the girl on the door as you walk in, it looked busy even at 1pm, i also checked another 2 pubs in town, 70% bookings and 30% walk ins, again no time limit in either, so whoever suggested that most pubs in town especially have a time limit might want to think again.

Can you name the 2 pubs with no time limits
    Weatherspoons is not my cup of tea

Can you name the 2 pubs with no time limits
    Weatherspoons is not my cup of tea

not on here, message me if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

not on here, message me if you want.

Do they have 2m between tables, because if not name them so we know to avoid them.....

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Do they have 2m between tables, because if not name them so we know to avoid them.....

i don't know i didn't ask and i wouldn't be asking that anyway.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

hynesie08 wrote: »

Seriously, you think a foot or two will really make any difference to a virus that's supposedly airborne and travels 30 meters.

Seriously, you think a foot or two will really make any difference to a virus that's supposedly airborne and travels 30 meters.

Anyone who is that concerned and worried should probably stay at home to be honest, the thought of something like this would never even enter my head, there's enough bleedin scaremongering from mainstream media and NPHET on a daily basis as it is, just go out and enjoy yourself without worrying about if tables are 2 metres apart, what next asking all the barman if they sanitized their hands :eek:

• Advertisement

My jaysus your such a ray of sunshine, how many hours a day do you spend on here talking about covid-19 :eek:

It's just a fact of the situation. The pubs are open and we all know they're high on the list to close if the numbers go up again. You might not like to think about having responsibility but you have some personal responsibility over how it pans out. Whether patrons play by the rules or they act the maggot will have an influence on whether pubs are closed again.

If you give a shyte about the pubs staying open, you'll behave accordignly. If you only care about no.1 then you'll behave accordingly too. This is fairly basic stuff.

It's just a fact of the situation. The pubs are open and we all know they're high on the list to close if the numbers go up again. You might not like to think about having responsibility but you have some personal responsibility over how it pans out. Whether patrons play by the rules or they act the maggot will have an influence on whether pubs are closed again.

If you give a shyte about the pubs staying open, you'll behave accordignly. If you only care about no.1 then you'll behave accordingly too. This is fairly basic stuff.

well I'm hardly going to be dancing on tables singing the fairytale of New York with my top off am i :eek::rolleyes: don't you worry about me mate ill enjoy my weekend im going out tonight, Saturday and Sunday, you enjoy sitting in!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Hello from a responsible socially distanced pub in the Midlands!

Few nice pints on a day off from work - happy days.

Enjoy, similarly minded folk!!

Yes nanny!

If they've 2m between tables then there's no time limit. Same as last time. Its a business decsion then if they want to have one.

well I'm hardly going to be dancing on tables singing the fairytale of New York with my top off am i :eek::rolleyes: don't you worry about me mate ill enjoy my weekend im going out tonight, Saturday and Sunday, you enjoy sitting in!

I’m not telling you what to do. You’ll make your own decisions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Probably not, but if a place isn't willing to do the absolute bare minimum asked of them, I don't want to give them my money.

Gervais08 wrote: »
    Yes nanny!

Lol. I would have thought that you’d be advocating for keeping the pubs open since you claim to have no family, no friends and no way to chat with anyone outside the pub.

I’m only saying a very obvious statement of fact. The chances of pubs being closed again is directly related to when yer or not people stick to the rules. You can’t be cross about that fact. I’d have thought you want pubs to stay open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I’m not telling you what to do. You’ll make your own decisions

I just hope him and the others like him own their decisions when everything gets shut down again in January as numbers rock upwards.

Because they will.

(I've never wished more to be wrong about something in my life, but I'd put money on it.)

I can hear the howls of outrage from here.

Lol. I would have thought that you’d be advocating for keeping the pubs open since you claim to have no family, no friends and no way to chat with anyone outside the pub.

I’m only saying a very obvious statement of fact. The chances of pubs being closed again is directly related to when yer or not people stick to the rules. You can’t be cross about that fact. I’d have thought you want pubs to stay open.

I do. But you of course know that.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I just hope him and the others like him own their decisions when everything gets shut down again in January as numbers rock upwards.

Because they will.

(I've never wished more to be wrong about something in my life, but I'd put money on it.)

I can hear the howls of outrage from here.

The numbers will rise again because people will be in crowed shops ,crowded houses mingling with friends and family ,house parties , public transport and yes partly but not majorly by pubs being open
    Just be sensible and you will be grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭the rock29

They will blame the pubs that are open as usual a Scapegoat for the rise in cases and nothing else that's why wet pubs are closed with no proper evidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

the rock29 wrote: »
    They will blame the pubs that are open as usual a Scapegoat for the rise in cases and nothing else that's why wet pubs are closed with no proper evidence

There closed cause people get drunk in them

****ing idiotic excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

PTH2009 wrote: »
    There closed cause people get drunk in them

There closed because of the temperance movement which has infiltrated government and NPHET.
    This is not about public safety from a virus anymore. Never waste a crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There closed because of the temperance movement which has infiltrated government and NPHET.

:D:D

Gervais08 wrote: »
    I do. But you of course know that.

If you know it (and presumably agree that it's true) then why would you resent someone saying it?

The numbers will rise again because people will be in crowed shops ,crowded houses mingling with friends and family ,house parties , public transport and yes partly but not majorly by pubs being open
    Just be sensible and you will be grand

Yeah but we know from experience that pubs are high on the list of thing to close to bring numbers down. So if people care about the pubs staying open then they really ought to present the best face possible by adhering to the rules. The cavalier attitude of some posters not expecting the rules to be taken seriously is precisely the kind of thing that would make it easy for government to close pubs again in response to the numbers going up over Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Does anyone have statistics about levels of alcohol related injuries presenting to A&E now vs this time last year? I suspect the harm reduction may be considered worth it, by some doctors at least.

Yeah but we know from experience that pubs are high on the list of thing to close to bring numbers down. So if people care about the pubs staying open then they really ought to present the best face possible by adhering to the rules. The cavalier attitude of some posters not expecting the rules to be taken seriously is precisely the kind of thing that would make it easy for government to close pubs again in response to the numbers going up over Christmas.

Take a day off mate, several in fact,spending hours on this forum posting about the supposed dangers in Pubs and covid-19 cant be good for anyone's head.

You'll feel all the better for it :pac:

Take a day off mate, several in fact,spending hours on this forum posting about the supposed dangers in Pubs and covid-19 cant be good for anyone's head.

You'll feel all the better for it :pac:

ok

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement