Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

OK folks enjoy the gargle im counting down the minutes until i go to the pub, on it all weekend ill be in bits come Monday, enjoy the weekend. :o:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Expensive night ahead of taxis and unwanted food just to have a few pints for an hour or whatever it is. But feck it, it's long overdue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Yeah but we know from experience that pubs are high on the list of thing to close to bring numbers down. So if people care about the pubs staying open then they really ought to present the best face possible by adhering to the rules. The cavalier attitude of some posters not expecting the rules to be taken seriously is precisely the kind of thing that would make it easy for government to close pubs again in response to the numbers going up over Christmas.

Now be good little Boys and Girls and make sure you play nice or the numbers go straight up to the sky.... Then Grinch Holohan and his little elves Leo Leak and Mehole Martin will take your drinkies away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This isn't going to end well, cases up 45% since the gastro pubs opened.
    Make the most of the weekend..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

My nephew has a truck license and works (hard) for a drinks supply company, not Guinness. He tells me the orders are mega. Lad is studying aswell fair dues.

There doesn't seem to be an obligation to buy a meal either, just that premises have a kitchen, correct me if I'm wrong, (unless you want soakage I suppose). LOL. Is this true?

Me and OH not venturing out until Tuesday, but really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Now be good little Boys and Girls and make sure you play nice or the numbers go straight up to the sky.... Then Grinch Holohan and his little elves Leo Leak and Mehole Martin will take your drinkies away!

Like, you say that in jest, but the childish whinging over the last 6 weeks was kinda matched to that level of speech.

Look, you’ll behave however you want, and if you break the rules then you’ll take your responsibility if pubs are closed again, right?

This isn't going to end well, cases up 45% since the gastro pubs opened.
    Make the most of the weekend..

Gas craic altogether you are, now some would ask for a source, but I don't care. It's all part of the mayhem now.

Gas craic altogether you are, now some would ask for a source, but I don't care. It's all part of the mayhem now.

No i'm serious, 45% increase since yesterday, Tony's already shouting told ya so.

Like, you say that in jest, but the childish whinging over the last 6 weeks was kinda matched to that level of speech.
    Look, you’ll behave however you want, and if you break the rules then you’ll take your responsibility if pubs are closed again, right?

Yea but you keep going on about it, yet probably haven't set foot in a restaurant/pub in what 2 months?
    No point mentioning it constantly here, what will be will be...no matter what you say on here....

The constant light switching of Food/alcohol Businesses instead of regulating them is what's causing all the pent up demand so people are like steam pressure cookers and have to release the pressure each time NPHET-FFFGG switch on and off the hospitality sector and the constant threats they issue though RTE etc...and having to listen to those muppets as well...McConkey, O'Neill, Ryan, Staines... just makes people's heads want to explode... so forgive people for forgetting themselves sometimes... they're human after all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

My nephew has a truck license and works (hard) for a drinks supply company, not Guinness. He tells me the orders are mega. Lad is studying aswell fair dues.

There doesn't seem to be an obligation to buy a meal either, just that premises have a kitchen, correct me if I'm wrong, (unless you want soakage I suppose). LOL. Is this true?

I don't think you have to buy a dinner just over 9 euro in total?

Is it true that partaking of food is not mandatory now? As long as the premises has a working kitchen....

Well then drink only pubs should be open also imv. But I don't know if it is true or not. Anyone?

saabsaab wrote: »
    I don't think you have to buy a dinner just over 9 euro in total?

Not sure, but thanks for reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Is it true that partaking of food is not mandatory now? As long as the premises has a working kitchen....

Well then drink only pubs should be open also imv. But I don't know if it is true or not. Anyone?

No its not true. Legislation sets out what is expected

No i'm serious, 45% increase since yesterday, Tony's already shouting told ya so.

Sure. Hoolahoop is getting his papers in order for the next dictat.

Look it is totally inevitable that this reopening will result in a rise of cases, but hopefully not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The 9 euro meal is still in place, you just can't get the local chipper to drop down a snack box and charge €9 for it anymore....

• Advertisement

No its not true. Legislation sets out what is expected

Sorry now, but I hate these one liners that don't give much info, not being personal or anything.

If you have time to post you have time to spell it out for us morons. AFAIS the latest guidelines do not mandate a meal, just a working kitchen, but as you say that was always there.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Got in somewhere but only have an hour (cause they have so many bookings)

Its encouraging binge eating and drinking ha

Ah I think the oul penny is dropping, you must have at least a 9 euro meal, but it has to be cooked on the premises. Is that right?

Jaysus the rules.

I think it’s buried in the Terms of reopening, food needs to be prepared on site from what I gather, spoke to a few publicans that were due to open but now can’t even though they have kitchens, they thought they’d get away with buying in pizzas etc but it doesn’t seem to be enough.

Ah I think the oul penny is dropping, you must have at least a 9 euro meal, but it has to be cooked on the premises. Is that right?

Have you been in a Blackhole or something??

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/q-a-the-reopening-of-restaurants-cafes-and-gastropubs-explained-1.4427396

• Advertisement

Sorry now, but I hate these one liners that don't give much info, not being personal or anything.

If you have time to post you have time to spell it out for us morons. AFAIS the latest guidelines do not mandate a meal, just a working kitchen, but as you say that was always there.

Fair enough.

SI 560 of 2020,

A specified person shall ensure that members of the public are
    not permitted or otherwise granted access to a relevant premises
    other than where (and without prejudice to the generality of
    subparagraph (b)(ii)) the intoxicating liquor being sold or
    supplied for consumption on the premises is -
    (i) ordered by or on behalf of the member of the public being
    permitted, or otherwise granted, access to the premises, at
    the same time as a substantial meal is so ordered, during
    the meal or after the meal has ended, and
    (ii) consumed by that member during the meal or after the
    meal has ended.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://assets.gov.ie/99504/daf4f742-7bb7-4def-96cd-5642384788a3.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi_tPebg7XtAhVOURUIHWnODowQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw312ZcFWKBvGuIiNQqK0OQb&cshid=1607108975556

Have you been living under a rock ?? Its the same now as it was in the summer. Loophole to bring takeaways in removed

SI 560 of 2020,

meal has ended.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://assets.gov.ie/99504/daf4f742-7bb7-4def-96cd-5642384788a3.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi_tPebg7XtAhVOURUIHWnODowQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw312ZcFWKBvGuIiNQqK0OQb&cshid=1607108975556

Have you been living under a rock ?? Its the same now as it was in the summer. Loophole to bring takeaways in removed

Oh come on, there is no need to be so dismissive, you remind me of a former boss and bully. Long sacked now amazingly lol. Have a good night.

Oh come on, there is no need to be so dismissive, you remind me of a former boss and bully. Long sacked now amazingly lol. Have a good night.

Not being dismissive. The actual regulations are clear as day and well publicised.

Would appreciate not being branded a bully either for pointing out the obvious. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

SI 560 of 2020,

meal has ended.

Last time you could have something costing less than 9euro as long as you were not drinking alcohol... I presume this is the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Yea but you keep going on about it, yet probably haven't set foot in a restaurant/pub in what 2 months?
    No point mentioning it constantly here, what will be will be...no matter what you say on here....

“What will be, will be”. I wonder if you’ve been so philosophical over the time the pubs were closed....

In reality what you mean is you’re philosophical about it from the point of view of patron and pub responsibility because “What will be, will be” and then get cross if the government close the pubs again.

speckle wrote: »
    Last time you could have something costing less than 9euro as long as you were not drinking alcohol... I presume this is the same?

Yup it is indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Not much movement after the time limit been enforced where I've been today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

PTH2009 wrote: »

Can'r see them being too hard on the time limit anywhere but as long as they keep the distance and good ventilation it shouldn't be too bad. No takers for my 6 pints limit?

PTH2009 wrote: »

no time limit nonsense where i was,great aul session was had , even gave the bar girls several tips i was feeling generous :pac::D

Big dirty fry up now and we go again tonight.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

SB71 wrote: »
    no time limit nonsense where i was,great aul session was had , even gave the bar girls several tips i was feeling generous :pac::D

Big dirty fry up now and we go again tonight.:cool:

Ha lol, sounds like u had a great night.
    Was that in a city? The cities seem to more strict about the time limit

• Advertisement

fin12 wrote: »
    Ha lol, sounds like u had a great night.
    Was that in a city? The cities seem to more strict about the time limit

Dublin yeah not too far from town :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Dublin yeah not too far from town :cool:

Glad you enjoyed it - mine ended about 7pm, got bought a couple pints by some guys in there who remembered my dad so that was nice if bittersweet!

Nice greasy fry and a day of footy for me too and will go out again in a few days!!

Masks worn as needed, sanitized hands after every jacks visit and big thanks to the lovely owners for putting on a safe experience!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Seems to be a lot of boozers unable to open due to not satisfying the kitchen criteria. Some of these places have always served food as well, others created their own kitchen when being able to open for all of a week and a half back in September.

So people are travelling to the central places that are open increasing the chances of spreading the virus. Really is ludicrous.

Seems to be a lot of boozers unable to open due to not satisfying the kitchen criteria. Some of these places have always served food as well, others created their own kitchen when being able to open for all of a week and a half back in September.

So people are travelling to the central places that are open increasing the chances of spreading the virus. Really is ludicrous.

But the Holy Tony and his Scientology level acolytes can sit back with a beatific smile that he has saved us from the demon drink and given Ireland cafe culture.

/sarcasm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

There can’t be good living where there is not good drinking.

Benjamin Franklin.

Walking down the street in last hour, came upon a hatch: traditional owner doing takeout. Asked him about the taps, he wisely had cleared the lines. Hot whiskey to go then. Opening on weekends only, 12-6pm to capitalise on footfall. Good aul natter, said a fair few were supporting him. Promised him I would be no different, tapped elbows and on I wandered. Around the corner, French cafe I frequented for the odd bottle of brew back in August. Do someone a turn... "Ah Bertie! Ça va?" "Salut Dave, need I order a sambo?" He waved his hands, "sit down over there and have a glass of mulled wine, s'il vous plaît. Any beer you want from the fridge, let me know." Going down nicely, I'll have a few more. It's no Arthur granted, hell I've had worse Sundays than this. No "gastro" pub and clientele of toffs need apply, life is good my friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Walking down the street in last hour, came upon a hatch: traditional owner doing takeout. Asked him about the taps, he wisely had cleared the lines. Hot whiskey to go then. Opening on weekends only, 12-6pm to capitalise on footfall. Good aul natter, said a fair few were supporting him. Promised him I would be no different, tapped elbows and on I wandered. Around the corner, French cafe I frequented for the odd bottle of brew back in August. Do someone a turn... "Ah Bertie! Ça va?" "Salut Dave, need I order a sambo?" He waved his hands, "sit down over there and have a glass of mulled wine, s'il vous plaît. Any beer you want from the fridge, let me know." Going down nicely, I'll have a few more. It's no Arthur granted, hell I've had worse Sundays than this. No "gastro" pub and clientele of toffs need apply, life is good my friends.

Good to hear.

Passed by a local pub earlier with some tables and chairs outside. Real feel temp never got to zero today.

The Sleveen War on Pubs goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Booked in for 2 tables for a "meal" and pints on 19 with the lads for our Xmas party. Prob only get the 2 hours out of it, but then we've the option of takeout beers from a few of the locals (weather dependant) or back to the organisers house for more beers and probably party games. Looking forward to getting out with the lads!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I wonder if a "wet pub" had the financial means to get the best legal team in town on their case, could they find that the forced closures are unlawful?

Genuine question. I've no idea. Maybe the forced closures are perfectly lawful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I wonder if a "wet pub" had the financial means to get the best legal team in town on their case, could they find that the forced closures are unlawful?

Genuine question. I've no idea. Maybe the forced closures are perfectly lawful.

It's really a simple question. Does any constitution in the world say that your rights can be paused/removed due to a unknown? This is my biggest issue/fear about all this; very few people are speaking about the legalities of all this stuff, when it really is the most important thing, for me at least. It's making our legal rights look like they sit on shaky ground, when we always assumed the opposite.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Some weekend that was im feeling it today a solid weekend on the gargle a great weekend the best in a long time, literaly everyone i spoke to thinks it's beggars belief why normal pubs which dont serve food cant open,people have been cursing NPHET, one pub we went to they even said you can buy a meal between you if you want which was a nice touch instead of forcing people to buy a meal each, no time limit nonsense in any of the places i went to, just a good atmosphere , im just waiting for some fake video to be picked up by mainstream gutter media and the subsequent faux outrage title "shocking scenes in pub at the weekend":rolleyes:

Savage weekend my liver or bank balance isnt the better for that :D but it was long overdue, hope the garglers had a good one.

OPEN ALL PUBS

We walked by Wetherspoons on Saturday night too and the queue outside to get in was big, they are only doing walk ins so a heads up if your going there you might want to arrive in the afternoon or if you dont mind queuing, luckily we had another pub boxed off ;)

some things ive seen from the wekeend, literally anyone i spoke to doesnt trust NPHET now and said they are destroying the country, a bar manager in a pub i was in was saying if theres another lock down he's getting out of the game after 30 plus years being in the bar trade, and said the blame lies squarely with NPHET, he made a good point in saying that Tony Holohan doesnt have any financial worries, and if he had to try and survive on €350 a week you would see a very different picture, it was good to see a pub i was on not force an older man to buy food when all he wanted to do was have his few guinness and watch the racing,peope are delighted to be out and about but from what im seeing theres a lot of anger there at NPHET and the government for all of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

local gym has a temperature check machnine as you walk in for your booked slot. face towards rthe screen, gives your temp.

why couldnt the pubs be allowed to do something similar?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

copeyhagen wrote: »
    local gym has a temperature check machnine as you walk in for your booked slot. face towards rthe screen, gives your temp.

why couldnt the pubs be allowed to do something similar?!

Did you drink a ball of pints in the gym?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Some weekend that was im feeling it today a solid weekend on the gargle a great weekend the best in a long time, literaly everyone i spoke to thinks it's beggars belief why normal pubs which dont serve food cant open,people have been cursing NPHET, one pub we went to they even said you can buy a meal between you if you want which was a nice touch instead of forcing people to buy a meal each, no time limit nonsense in any of the places i went to, just a good atmosphere , im just waiting for some fake video to be picked up by mainstream gutter media and the subsequent faux outrage title "shocking scenes in pub at the weekend":rolleyes:

Savage weekend my liver or bank balance isnt the better for that :D but it was long overdue, hope the garglers had a good one.

OPEN ALL PUBS

What part of the country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Was in two pubs in Dublin city on Saturday and had a great day on it. No real hassle on the food, one place let 4 of us have 2 pizzas between us and the other one let us off with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭Ireland2020

Was out yesterday in 2 seperate pubs and no food was required.

Was out yesterday in 2 seperate pubs and no food was required.

My local is charging a tenner to get in and you get a food token and a pint.

Can use token to take pizza or burger away if you’re not hungry there and then.

Nice few pints and tea sorted. Sensible!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Poorside wrote: »
    Did you drink a ball of pints in the gym?

whats your point? if someone goes to the pub with covid, or the gym, they would have to be aysmptomatic surely.

if your not showing sysmptoms, it doesnt mater whether your 2 feet apart in a gym or 2 feet apart from other tables in a pub.

ive been in both the weekend, theres ****ing FAR more contact in the gym with strangers than a pub.

this idea that people would be in the pub spitting in each others mouths, drunk, is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Was in my local on Sunday food was required and masks and sanitiser but no time limit thankfully in at 3 out at 10 full as a bingo bus.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement