Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Great to see Eileen's Bar in Aghamore, Co. Mayo reopening today. Not serving food but giving everyone a rapid test before entering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Great to see Eileen's Bar in Aghamore, Co. Mayo reopening today. Not serving food but giving everyone a rapid test before entering.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/defiant-owner-covid-free-pub-23145857

great to see i fully support them and i hope other pubs follow suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

WallyGUFC wrote: »

How long is that going to last? Non-food pubs can't open at the moment so expect the guards to come a knocking I say.

How long is that going to last? Non-food pubs can't open at the moment so expect the guards to come a knocking I say.

Our wonderful Garda on the front line fighting crime , lock these criminals up who open their business without serving the €9 covid meal.:rolleyes:...is it any wonder so many detest the Garda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

SB71 wrote: »
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/defiant-owner-covid-free-pub-23145857

great to see i fully support them and i hope other pubs follow suit.

If they are to open and trade normally I can see a lot of pubs following suit
    I can also see Tony’s concernmeter and worrymeter going off the scale
    Expect Tony to push for emergency legislation to counter this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Anniepowaa

sure the tests must be a tight price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Our wonderful Garda on the front line fighting crime , lock these criminals up who open their business without serving the €9 covid meal.:rolleyes:...is it any wonder so many detest the Garda.

If you hate the gardai for doing their job, perhaps the gardai aren't the issue.......

I wonder are there many Garda on this thread im sure there are a few anyway, im intrigued how they feel spending weekends going around checking on pubs instead of out ridding the scum from our streets,surely a percentage of them anyway must be highly embarrassed doing this , is this really what you done your training for, harassing pub owners for not selling food ,asking pubs to turn down the volume on the TV, visiting certain pubs every single day, etc,etc.:eek:

hynesie08 wrote: »
    If you hate the gardai for doing their job, perhaps the gardai aren't the issue.......

"doing their job" is out catching criminals not harassing pubs..scarlet for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

"doing your job" or "following orders" has to be the most pathetic excuse a person can give ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

brisan wrote: »
    If they are to open and trade normally I can see a lot of pubs following suit
    I can also see Tony’s concernmeter and worrymeter going off the scale
    Expect Tony to push for emergency legislation to counter this

Doesn't need emergency legislation. It's already illegal. Place will be shut before closing time tonight. Rightly so too.

"doing their job" is out catching criminals not harassing pubs..scarlet for them

Which is what's happening now, luckily in this country we go by actual laws, not dara o Brian's taking the piss scale?

At what level do you consider someone a real criminal?

paw patrol wrote: »
    "doing your job" or "following orders" has to be the most pathetic excuse a person can give ,

Interesting, please give me your better model?

Which is what's happening now, luckily in this country we go by actual laws, not dara o Brian's taking the piss scale?

At what level do you consider someone a real criminal?

stop embarrassing yourself ffs, you call Garda harassing pubs "doing their jobs"

No wonder a large percentage of the Irish population detest the Garda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Some amount of bleedin aul wans and curtain twitchers on here, i bet you go to mass every day and believe everything that the giovernment and NPHET tell you, pubs are dangerous, travel is dangerous . schools are safe :eek::rolleyes:

To be honest the ones on here would be calling the guards on the priests that were conducting mass during the restrictions. Very sad individuals.

stop embarrassing yourself ffs, you call Garda harassing pubs "doing their jobs"

No wonder a large percentage of the Irish population detest the Garda.

I'm not the one embarrassing myself here, what part of it isn't their job?

Doesn't need emergency legislation. It's already illegal. Place will be shut before closing time tonight. Rightly so too.

Id suggest you change your username, poor auld Paddy would be turning in his grave with the likes of you and your anti pub sentiments.

Are you a supporter of FFG and NPHET too?

I'm not the one embarrassing myself here, what part of it isn't their job?

so you actually believe that the garda should not bother patrolling the streets at all and just do the rounds in pubs, which is pretty much what they are doing at weekends, a simple yes or no will suffice?

so you actually believe that the garda should not bother patrolling the streets at all and just do the rounds in pubs, which is pretty much what they are doing at weekends, a simple yes or no will suffice?

That's just a lie

So, when patrolling the streets, they shouldn't be investigating whether or not there are laws being broken? They should just walk around in a circle hoping someone is stupid enough to commit a crime in front of them?

A simple yes or no will suffice?

I’d be embarrassed if I was a guard doing the checkpoints, prob would go out on sick leave... if I was asked to do it. I’d feel like a fool harassing law abiding citizens.

• Advertisement

That's just a lie

So, when patrolling the streets, they shouldn't be investigating whether or not there are laws being broken? They should just walk around in a circle hoping someone is stupid enough to commit a crime in front of them?

A simple yes or no will suffice?

How is it a lie, they are doing the rounds in every single pub spending time which could be spent patrolling the streets , how many gangs of feral youths are running amok every day of the week and nothing is done about it,muggings,stabbings,shootings,robberies,etc,etc do you seriously think the garda should prioritise going around every single pub hoping to find something wrong so they can take note and recommend they lose their licence:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Do you pick and choose what laws you follow?

Heres a hint Gardai don't pick and choose which ones they've to enforce. Its called legislation.

That pub in mayo won't last past lunch time, like the one in Limerick before it. I'll go into a pub serving food no problem and just a normal pub when they open but like it or not (which i don't) these are the current rules

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Whether you agree or not, that pub will be gone by tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I think the attitude of many here failing to accept that constraints on liberty might be necessary for a short while longer during a pandemic for the common good is childish.

I like going to the pub. I like the company of others. I like to see others enjoying themselves, with or without a drink. I'm looking forward to getting back to normal. I also think there's a risk that opening pubs contributes unnecessarily to our successful control of COVID being jeopardised. I don't think my (I believe rational) concern about that makes me a dry shíte curtain twitcher.

Heres a hint Gardai don't pick and choose which ones they've to enforce. Its called legislation.

That pub in mayo won't last past lunch time, like the one in Limerick before it.

People who think that soundness should supercede the law will never admit they're wrong...

That pub in mayo won't last past lunch time, like the one in Limerick before it.
    Actually they do pick and choose and turn a blind eye when suits, how come I never see a guard pull over an yellow ref Irish car which is illegal and there is a hefty fine for it but never see it enforced , if it was enforced I should never see yellow reg Irish cars driving around the place.

How is it a lie, they are doing the rounds in every single pub spending time which could be spent patrolling the streets , how many gangs of feral youths are running amok every day of the week and nothing is done about it,muggings,stabbings,shootings,robberies,etc,etc do you seriously think the garda should prioritise going around every single pub hoping to find something wrong so they can take note and recommend they lose their licence:rolleyes:

I was in a couple of pubs over the weekend, not a sniff of a gardai. Maybe where you were drinking has a reputation for flouting the law?

That pub in mayo won't last past lunch time, like the one in Limerick before it. I'll go into a pub serving food no problem and just a normal pub when they open but like it or not (which i don't) these are the current rules

My jaysus we've tuned into a nation of holier than hou, :rolleyes: those nasty people who dare to make a living close them down, never mind the scumbag criminals roaming the streets and getting away with murder.

The attitude of some on here is nothing short of pathetic,rules,rules,rules :rolleyes:

People who think that soundness should supercede the law will never admit they're wrong...

My best mate is a Garda in Dublin. He doesn't want to be standing on the side of the road at a checkpoint, he doesn't want to take an hour or two out of his shift walking around Dame Street doing spot checks but for the moment thats how it is.

Contrary to what most think if they spot breaches they aren't shutting places down on the spot and telling them they won't get a licence, for example my mate walked into a Dublin pub last weekend at about midnight and there was the guts of 50 people or so still in there. Did he threaten to take away their licence ? Nope, gave them 20 mins to finish up and that was it. Wasn't a prick about it, just said to the owner its out by 11.30 not last orders at 11.30 and left it at that. Nothing else will come of it.

• Advertisement

fin12 wrote: »
    Actually they do pick and choose and turn a blind eye when suits, how come I never see a guard pull over an yellow ref Irish car which is illegal and there is a hefty fine for it but never see it enforced , if it was enforced I should never see yellow reg Irish cars driving around the place.

This is about pubs but driving a yellow reg isn't an offence. Don't know where you came up with that.

Checked that out with my own local station when I was importing my car from the North.

I was in a couple of pubs over the weekend, not a sniff of a gardai. Maybe where you were drinking has a reputation for flouting the law?

every pub i was in they came in, one pub they stayed for ages walking around almost sneering at people enjoying their pints, another pub they were in and out, maybe thats because some of their colleagues might have been drinking there.

My jaysus we've tuned into a nation of holier than hou, :rolleyes: those nasty people who dare to make a living close them down, never mind the scumbag criminals roaming the streets and getting away with murder.

The attitude of some on here is nothing short of pathetic,rules,rules,rules :rolleyes:

Ah give it a rest, its how it is for the moment.

The rules on pubs and restaurants are simple enough to follow. Nobody likes them just get on with it until the vaccine is rolled out.

You just seem to have an issue with the Gardai in general.

every pub i was in they came in, one pub they stayed for ages walking around almost sneering at people enjoying their pints, another pub they were in and out, maybe thats because some of their colleagues might have been drinking there.

Comments like this come across like you have the issue...... How long is ages? 5 minutes? 45 minutes?

This is about pubs but driving a yellow reg isn't an offence. Don't know where you came up with that.

Checked that out with my own local station when I was importing my car from the North.

Read my post again , driving a yellow plate with an Irish registeration is illegal

Irish registered car, white plates back and front. .

Comments like this come across like you have the issue...... How long is ages? 5 minutes? 45 minutes?

From reading the posts they just seem to have an issue with Gardai in general.

If your not being an arse to them they'll be fine with you.

Its not a chore to order a few chicken wings with a pint. Do I like having to order food, nope can't wait for pubs to reopen as pubs but just have to get on with it for the moment.

• Advertisement

Ah give it a rest, its how it is for the moment.

The rules on pubs and restaurants are simple enough to follow. Nobody likes them just get on with it until the vaccine is rolled out

Give it a rest, a typical cop out, no absolutely will not give it a rest, it's nothing short of pathetic what is happening on a grand scale, the garda should be spending weekends patrolling the streets and council estates, it's outrageous they are being told to patrol pubs,gangs of feral youths roaming the streets, how many videos doing the rounds gang fights,etc and not a garda to be seen.

The vast majority of pubs are well capable of running their business accordingly, having garda come in every single night only serves to antagonise people, there is no need whatsoever for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Id suggest you change your username, poor auld Paddy would be turning in his grave with the likes of you and your anti pub sentiments.

Are you a supporter of FFG and NPHET too?

Mod:

Threadbanned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Interesting, please give me your better model?

don't do things you are against and weasel out excusing yourself with "orders"
    that's a pathetic behaviour no better than a kid saying "an older boy made me do it".

One should own their actions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Russman

paw patrol wrote: »
    don't do things you are against and weasel out excusing yourself with "orders"
    that's a pathetic behaviour no better than a kid saying "an older boy made me do it".

One should own their actions

There shouldn't really be a place for that when a chain of command is involved though. By all means don't obey unlawful orders, but there's no place IMO for police or soldiers to be saying "ahh no, sure I don't agree with that, I won't bother", you'd have anarchy. Now, obviously in real world situations there's ways things should be handled using proper discretion, but when that discretion goes too far, its a slippery slope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Russman wrote: »
    There shouldn't really be a place for that when a chain of command is involved though. By all means don't obey unlawful orders, but there's no place IMO for police or soldiers to be saying "ahh no, sure I don't agree with that, I won't bother", you'd have anarchy. Now, obviously in real world situations there's ways things should be handled using proper discretion, but when that discretion goes too far, its a slippery slope.

Try and get a cop to your house when something is happening, you'll be waiting a while.

• Advertisement

Try and get a cop to your house when something is happening, you'll be waiting a while.

Ohh I know that. I just think that, given the situation the world is in, whether you believe in it or not, and the high profile of everything regarding restrictions, to expect or justify chains of command being "slightly" ignored just so someone can have a few pints, is a bit much imo. I know others will think differently.

Russman wrote: »
    Ohh I know that. I just think that, given the situation the world is in, whether you believe in it or not, and the high profile of everything regarding restrictions, to expect or justify chains of command being "slightly" ignored just so someone can have a few pints, is a bit much imo. I know others will think differently.

So robbery, house breaking and assault can be ignored, because there's more publicity in annoying people having a pint. That's some farce.

So robbery, house breaking and assault can be ignored, because there's more publicity in annoying people having a pint. That's some farce.

I'm really not quite sure how you got that from my post, but sure carry on.........

Any update on the pub in mayo? They have gone pretty quiet on social media......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Neowise

The government need to change the laws and make this situation legal, ASAP, and give a directive to the guards to not harrass any business doing this.

Get out emergency legistation to make it legal to have premises open if they do rapid testing like this. Take note of his pre-result segregation, make sure that any positive results need to be notified to HSE, not just told to go home.

The pub owner should be commended for finding a way to reopen safely, and IMHO, much safer than having to buy food. Hopefully this is adopted on a wide scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=templebar

If someone wants to have a bit of nose about, not sure what pub it is but looks organized

PTH2009 wrote: »
    https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=templebar

If someone wants to have a bit of nose about, not sure what pub it is but looks organized

It’s sad to see Temple Bar so empty at Christmas time.

Passing by a hotel this evening, fairly quiet it must said. In I went and found a publican invested with common sense. Volunteered I hadn't much of an appetite, would he look the other way for a few jars. Not a bother, says he, keep it under your hat. I'm on to my fourth pint and Guinness never tasted better. Everybody wins, they're ringing the till with my custom and not a morsel of food to be had. Second time in half a week I've been able to circumvent the arbitrary nine euro nonsense. And if it ruffles the feathers of a few bores here, I'm not the least bit sorry. Each to their own and all that jazz, where there's a will there's a way. My spidey sense detects a fictional word with the Guards imminent, I'll be sure to order a few more tall ones just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Passing by a hotel this evening, fairly quiet it must said. In I went and found a publican invested with common sense. Volunteered I hadn't much of an appetite, would he look the other way for a few jars. Not a bother, says he, keep it under your hat. I'm on to my fourth pint and Guinness never tasted better. Everybody wins, they're ringing the till with my custom and not a morsel of food to be had. Second time in half a week I've been able to circumvent the arbitrary nine euro nonsense. And if it ruffles the feathers of a few bores here, I'm not the least bit sorry. Each to their own and all that jazz, where there's a will there's a way. My spidey sense detects a fictional word with the Guards imminent, I'll be sure to order a few more tall ones just in case.

Thought you wouldn't be seen dead in a gastro pub with all the "suited and booted" clientele? Desperate times call for desperate measures and all that.

15 deaths and the trend of new cases on the rise. Enjoy the pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

This is hardly the first time you’ve told us that you went for a few drinks. Is there more to come? How many more sleeps?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement