Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Do you think increased contacts in enclosed spaces like pubs will lead to increased cases and deaths?

Sure NPHet tell us enclosed spaces of 30 or so people not wearing masks talking and laughing together for a few hours is fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

You're being lied to. Have you ever seen a covid ward. Have you ever been in one? I have. It's full of VERY old people already on the way out. But by all means keep drinking the RTE kool aid.

While I think there's serious reason to be cautious about COVID I'd well believe this.

You're being lied to. Have you ever seen a covid ward. Have you ever been in one? I have. It's full of VERY old people already on the way out. But by all means keep drinking the RTE kool aid.

Pay no heed. Earlier this week allegedly ringing the Guards in Clare, Mayo yesterday and the capital today. All for the sake of raising a few hackles here. Such nonsense should be disdained, not entertained seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Pay no heed. Earlier this week allegedly ringing the Guards in Clare, Mayo yesterday and the capital today. All for the sake of raising a few hackles here. Such nonsense should be disdained, not entertained seriously.

Easy to contact multiple Garda stations from the comfort of one's own home these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the kelt wrote: »
    Sure NPHet tell us enclosed spaces of 30 or so people not wearing masks talking and laughing together for a few hours is fine!
    school > getting drunk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

Easy to contact multiple Garda stations from the comfort of one's own home these days.

Yes the invention of the telephone machine has been a boon to humanity.

growleaves wrote: »
    Yes the invention of the telephone machine has been a boon to humanity.

The psychiatrist went straight to answering machine, Joe Duffy was on hold so look no further than a Garda station hundreds of kilometres away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

growleaves wrote: »
    Why would there be food in the middle of the street? Am I missing something?

It prevents the spread of covid19-haven't you been listening to the scientists like the rest of us responsible citizens or are you one of those ignorant covidiots? I was rushing out of the house today and realised I didn't have a mask to wear so I taped a rasher over my mouth and shoved a sausage up each nostril so the hospitals won't be overrun in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

The psychiatrist went straight to answering machine, Joe Duffy was on hold so look no further than a Garda station hundreds of kilometres away.

I've suffered from mental health issues. Not something to be made a cheap joke of. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Do you not think those people would love to live a bit longer? Keep being an asshole and drinking whatever shïte makes you feel superior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod

Any more personal digs at posters on thread & your posting privileges will be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭obi604

See 2 Dublin bars have suspended the 9 Euro meal. Could they get in trouble, be fined etc?

https://www.thesun.ie/news/6275489/two-bars-dublin-suspend-substantial-meal-food-waste/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭Allinall

obi604 wrote: »
    See 2 Dublin bars have suspended the 9 Euro meal. Could they get in trouble, be fined etc?

https://www.thesun.ie/news/6275489/two-bars-dublin-suspend-substantial-meal-food-waste/

They’ll be closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭obi604

Allinall wrote: »
    They’ll be closed down.

Right. Suppose it’s all about getting press and no such thing as bad publicity etc But seems a bit strange to publicly say something that will shut them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

wonder how much of the 9 euro will actually go to the charity?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

votecounts wrote: »
    wonder how much of the 9 euro will actually go to the charity?
    if this is allowed, then just open the proper pubs ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭Russman

From reading the story, it seems that the issue was people going to the pub having already been somewhere else and had a meal there and subsequently didn’t want a meal in the second pub - fair enough, that’s understandable.
    But isn’t this situation the exact scenario that the regulations are trying to stop ?

I fully get that everyone likes a night out, and it’s been severely curtailed this year, but it hasn’t been curtailed just for the craic of it.
    I wonder how these groups would get on if they were trying to list their close contacts a few days later if, God forbid, they were to get a call from the contact tracers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

They’ll be closed down.

No they won't because they're still complying with the purchase of a €9 meal, doesn't say you have to eat it, just buy one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

No they won't because they're still complying with the purchase of a €9 meal, doesn't say you have to eat it, just buy one
    It's hilarious how cute-hoorism is always maligned in this country, until it serves people's own interests.

Stay at home for god's sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Except they won't actually be providing the meals.......

And again, the tight cnuts are only donating 4 euros to charity......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Except they won't actually be providing the meals.......

And again, the tight cnuts are only donating 4 euros to charity......

That's a bit harsh to say the least.... The €4 donation as explained in the media is the "Production" cost of the meal, excluding additional costs and also a thing called trying to make a profit and keep the restaurants door open...

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh to say the least.... The €4 donation as explained in the media is the "Production" cost of the meal, excluding additional costs and also a thing called trying to make a profit and keep the restaurants door open...

The production cost of what? Nothing they make is fresh and they're not actually making anything because you're not getting a meal?

I'm all for businesses trying to survive, but don't act like you're on the moral high ground when in reality your business model is based on people booking you for parties and skulling as many €6 g&ts into them as they can, don't act like you care about food waste when you throw out free platters that barely get looked at, never mind eaten........

The production cost of what? Nothing they make is fresh and they're not actually making anything because you're not getting a meal?

I'm all for businesses trying to survive, but don't act like you're on the moral high ground when in reality your business model is based on people booking you for parties and skulling as many €6 g&ts into them as they can, don't act like you care about food waste when you throw out free platters that barely get looked at, never mind eaten........

Production cost of the meal as in what it costs the business to purchase everything needed to make a "€9 meal"...

They're not a charity, they're a business and 30% of food/drink businesses will go to the wall with 100's of job losses when this alleged January lockdown comes in after the holidays..

Attack and attack restaurants but when you walk down the streets of wherever it is you live and all the doors are boarded up just remember your angry attacks on them....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

There is a certain smell or hue of Buzz kill off this particular post.

The only thing I have learnt about this country during the Covid Crisis is how prevalent the anti- alcohol lobby is. I really genuinely never noticed it before.

But they got given an inch and they took the mile.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Production cost of the meal as in what it costs the business to purchase everything needed to make a "€9 meal"...

They're not a charity, they're a business and 30% of food/drink businesses will go to the wall with 100's of job losses when this alleged January lockdown comes in after the holidays..

Attack and attack restaurants but when you walk down the streets of wherever it is you live and all the doors are boarded up just remember your angry attacks on them....

Everything they use is bulk bought and cooked from frozen/ has a long shelf life........ I like Oscar's but there is no way their production cost is €4.

I understand they're a business, and currently their business has to operate under a different set of guidelines, so bringing attention to themselves for flouting these guidelines is at best a publicity stunt at worst stupidity........

I don't know where you got angry attacks from, I've been one of the most vocal on here about all pubs being treated equally, but they're not, and maybe the ones that are allowed open shouldn't be making it more difficult for the ones that can't.

IAMAMORON wrote: »

The only thing I have learnt about this country during the Covid Crisis is how prevalent the anti- alcohol lobby is. I really genuinely never noticed it before.

If your smelling buzzkill off my posts your nose is broken, should probably get a covid test.

However I can sniff bull**** a mile away and Oscar's and the fibbers/living room/lundy foot crew claiming to care about food waste is just that.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I find it more than concerning that there is a core group on here that is desperate to find and excuse any possible means to circumvent the rules that have been put in place to try and protect as many people as possible in the run up to Christmas.

Those rules are in place to try to allow as many people as possible to have as normal a Christmas as is possible in the circumstances that are forced upon us by Covid, and to try and keep the health services from being overloaded.

Perhaps I should point out that as a result of the numbers of people that are suffering from Covid in Germany, Chancellor Merkel has just announced a TOTAL lock down over the entire Christmas period, December 16 to January 10, the equivalent of Level 5 plus, with everything except essential retail closed for nearly a month, and that includes the schools, no alcohol, not even mulled wine, and no firework displays. Bavaria has also introduced a state wide curfew.

I wonder how the people here that are desperate for their wet pubs etc and are more than willing to play the "cute hoor" card would feel if NPHET were to come back with a recommendatation for a total lock down here in Ireland over Christmas? That is a very possible scenario if the numbers that are breaking the rules now continues.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

If your smelling buzzkill off my posts your nose is broken, should probably get a covid test.

However I can sniff bull**** a mile away and Oscar's and the fibbers/living room/lundy foot crew claiming to care about food waste is just that.

very aggressive post in fairness.

It reads like you need a drink to be honest, or do you?

The fact remains the pubs got blamed for spreading Covid, so did a race meeting in March. People love to be pointing fingers elsewhere, it soothes their conceit.

The schools got the cases rising, the pubs got the blame. It is simple maths. Sniff all the bullshight you like.

I find it more than concerning that there is a core group on here that is desperate to find and excuse any possible means to circumvent the rules that have been put in place to try and protect as many people as possible in the run up to Christmas.

This is the worst thing about it, I want nothing more than to be able to wander into my local, grab a pint and relax by the fire with a paper.....

Unfortunately at the moment I can't do that, so I have to go out in the knowledge that I will have to eat and I may be asked to leave after 1.45 if they're booked up enough to make it feasible.

I have accepted these things, yet there are morons who can't grasp these things and they'll be the loudest voices come January.......

• Advertisement

very aggressive post in fairness.

It reads like you need a drink to be honest, or do you?

The fact remains the pubs got blamed for spreading Covid, so did a race meeting in March. People love to be pointing fingers elsewhere, it soothes their conceit.

The schools got the cases rising, the pubs got the blame. It is simple maths. Sniff all the bullshight you like.

Aggressive, nah, that's just how you've read it.

Need a drink, nah, enjoy one but nice attempt at a subtle attack.

Again, I am not blaming pubs, never have, but in this particular case, a pub that freely gives away food suddenly becoming concerned about food waste at the time of year when they'd have a ridiculous amount of waste anyway? Bull****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Notmything

If the anti-alcohol lobby is so prevalent how come off licences are still open, supermarkets are selling beer at a loss and pubs and restaurants are able to sell alcohol?

Whether you care to believe it or not it's about trying to reduce the spread of covid.

Notmything wrote: »
    If the anti-alcohol lobby is so prevalent how come off licences are still open, supermarkets are selling beer at a loss and pubs and restaurants are able to sell alcohol?

Whether you care to believe it or not it's about trying to reduce the spread of covid.

I can buy 48 cans for 33 euro in lidl but apparently I'm a part of some anti alcohol lobby that's against *checks notes* giving money to the homeless and sick children......

That'll teach alcohol....

The "anti alcohol lobby" in this case stands for the people who don't think the money-grubbing publicans should do whatever they like during the pandemic, or that's not a good idea to pack pubs up with drunkards when there's a highly contagious disease threatening to tear through the population.

Nine months in and I'm flabbergasted at all of the useful idiots who are still falling for the vintners' cons: The prevention of wasting food, auld lads who need a social outlet, the preservation of pub culture.

The people who own the pubs not only want to pour poison down your gullet but they also want you to risk catching a very dangerous respiratory disease while you're at it, and you're sitting there squawking for it like hungry chicks around a mother-bird. Wake up, lads.

Aggressive, nah, that's just how you've read it.

Need a drink, nah, enjoy one but nice attempt at a subtle attack.

Again, I am not blaming pubs, never have, but in this particular case, a pub that freely gives away food suddenly becoming concerned about food waste at the time of year when they'd have a ridiculous amount of waste anyway? Bull****

No in fairness your tone is aggressive , too much cussing and swearing? I am not sure if you are suitable to public drinking tbh.

You sound duplicitous, only someone who was not comfortable with pubs would have an issue with what they are saying. On a further matter it seems like a fairly pedantic argument to be involving yourself in?

What do you care about what such and such a pub is saying or doing to get their doors open, in particular if you are not blaming them?

I have no problem with buzzkillers , but at least be straight about where you are coming from. You either want pubs open or you don't, anyone spoofing about " lack of food" or " social distancing" are just talking through their hole. Don't bother, life is too short.

As I said before, it's the kids in school that are spreading it and its the pubs that are taking the blame.

No in fairness your tone is aggressive , too much cussing and swearing? I am not sure if you are suitable to public drinking tbh.

I apologise if the word bull**** offended you, if you find swearing so offensive, maybe public drinking isn't for you either......
    You sound duplicitous, only someone who was not comfortable with pubs would have an issue with what they are saying. On a further matter it seems like a fairly pedantic argument to be involving yourself in?

So believing that someone is speaking out of both sides of their mouth means I'm duplicitous and anti alcohol..... It must be nice to live in a one dimensional world.....

What do you care about what such and such a pub is saying or doing to get their doors open, in particular if you are not blaming them?

Because their actions will not have a positive effect on the industry they claim to care about.
    I have no problem with buzzkillers , but at least be straight about where you are coming from. You either want pubs open or you don't, anyone spoofing about " lack of food" or " social distancing" are just talking through their hole. Don't bother, life is too short.

Why so aggressive.....

So in your one dimensional world, it's impossible to want pubs open safely with measures in place. Are you annoyed that you can't drink enough?
    As I said before, it's the kids in school that are spreading it and its the pubs that are taking the blame.

Noone is talking about kids except you.....

• Advertisement

Well looks like the protection is back:

https://www.facebook.com/Oscarscafebar/posts/3828264350538708

Angryman rejoice!

See.

https://www.facebook.com/Oscarscafebar/posts/3828264350538708

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Again nothing stopping someone saying give my meal to charity.

All you have to do is order and pay, you don't have to eat it. That's the whole point here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

All you have to do is order and pay, you don't have to eat it. That's the whole point here

Yeah such a good gesture but Dr Tony and the lads no doubt pissed off about it

Anyway you cant get a table in a pub/hotel today in Waterford and presumably Limerick too. Personal responsibility needs to be taken, it was bloody embarrassing been talked to you like children with all the 'warnings from government

But that's not what was happening here, the meal wasn't being provided, which is the actual rule......

you're right though, nothing wrong with asking for your wings to go and offering them to a homeless person outside.

• Advertisement

No. The point is they would have been closed down if they carried on with their scheme.

As acknowledged by the pub themselves.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Yeah such a good gesture but Dr Tony and the lads no doubt pissed off about it

Anyway you cant get a table in a pub/hotel today in Waterford and presumably Limerick too. Personal responsibility needs to be taken, it was bloody embarrassing been talked to you like children with all the 'warnings from government

Are you blaming the government on pubs being full on all ireland day?

I assume you'll be spouting "personal responsibility" only if Limerick win and take to the streets, but will brush it to one side if it's waterford......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Are you blaming the government on pubs being full on all ireland day?

I assume you'll be spouting "personal responsibility" only if Limerick win and take to the streets, but will brush it to one side if it's waterford......

Personal responsibility for both no matter the result

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Personal responsibility for both no matter the result

If waterford win, you will be on here within 10 minutes going "good luck with social distancing tonight, up the deise"

They won't win though......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

One step at a time.

If they're trying to stop the spread of covid, why are people from six different households allowed to sit at one table with masks off for hours on end indoors?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    One step at a time.

If they're trying to stop the spread of covid, why are people from six different households allowed to sit at one table with masks off for hours on end indoors?

Proportionality.

But you know that.

Proportionality.

But you know that.

And they're not trying to stop the spread of covid in pubs.

But you know that.

If people really gave a ****e about feeding the homeless how about individuals arrange to pay for a meal for a homeless person themselves.

I’ll tell you why, it’s because they don’t care about homeless people and they just want an excuse to pour gallons of stout down their gullet.

If people really gave a ****e about feeding the homeless how about individuals arrange to pay for a meal for a homeless person themselves.

I’ll tell you why, it’s because they don’t care about homeless people and they just want an excuse to pour gallons of stout down their gullet.

It must be great to be an expert on everyone else's thoughts. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭PommieBast

To actually ban alcohol sales outright would be instant political suicide. The whole €9/1hr45min things are a fudge intended to keep most places closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement