Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Comments

I will be happy when i am having a few pints over the christmas :D. You can keep living in fear of the virus and bowing to Tony and the muppets in NPHET. Some of us are going to try and get on living some sort of life

Enjoy them. They'll be shut again in 10-12 days

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Dub81

boombang wrote: »
    The mind does indeed boggle.

There's clearly going to be a spectrum from quiet aul' lads not infecting anybody to pissheads hugging and jumping all over each other. It's hard to find workable rules that permits the former without the latter emerging. I've seen the latter with my own eyes the summer months. Without controls I believe many would be back to business as usual and Ireland would not be the COVID success story that it is relative to other countries.

Anyway, I don't know why I keep posting here. Most of you still want to believe that we should fling the doors open and everyone should enjoy a jar and not worry about the consequences.

stop ffs your embarrassing yourself here with this drivel.

Lord Tony will enjoy his christmas knowing he has again convinced the government to close the pubs again, if he had his way there wouldnt be any pubs at all.

Ireland's "alcohol problem" is something which obviously grates on him

https://alcoholireland.ie/dr-tony-holohan-chief-medical-officer-delivers-the-opening-address-at-alcohol-action-irelands-have-we-bottled-it-alcohol-marketing-and-young-people-conference/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They wont be in the shebeen i will be going too :D

Hope you stop trying to pretend you want to support the local business/economy then ;)

Clear what matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I believe we also have quite a high proportion of non drinkers. When you account for that, the amount drunk by those that do drink puts us up much.

What you "believe" matters not a jot. Per capita, we are mid table for alcohol consumption in Europe, and falling year on year.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Hope you stop trying to pretend you want to support the local business/economy then ;)

Clear what matters.

I have and always will support my local businesses. I will be only heading to the shebeen while the pubs are closed. We will bring our own beers while having a few games of pool and watching some live sport. No harm being done to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    More whataboutery. It's always someone else's fault.

They're prioritising. Just because you allow one thing, doesn't mean you can or should allow everything.

And I've made my point about the schools (although I do think they should have closed up today).

Well, as long as you're happy, then we're all happy. Because it's all about you.

What are you on about "whataboutery" and always blaiming someone else? Have you actually read the question?

I never mentioned anything about allowing one thing and then should allow everything?

It was a simple question?

You claimed its all about reducing contacts then why allow people move all over the country from today then have schools open monday and tuesday, you do realise thats the actual opposite of reducing contacts!

So one again as you have claimed its all about reducing contacts then why from today are we in a situation where we will be increasing them and potentially in areas where people will be sitting with no masks etc?

Its ok if ye dont have an answer because in reality it makes no sense but deflect away!

I have and always will support my local businesses. I will be only heading to the shebeen while the pubs are closed. We will bring our own beers while having a few games of pool and watching some live sport. No harm being done to anyone.

Wish I had one of those near me!!

Wish I had one of those near me!!

I am sure there is one near you :D

I am sure there is one near you :D

If there was I'd know about it. :D

• Advertisement

Thousands of people back on the pandemic payment now, what more proof is needed that NPHET have had it in for pubs since the very start.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/6291485/covid-outbreaks-restauarants-gastro-pubs-cafes-reopening/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

the kelt wrote: »
    So if its all about contact reduction why are they allowing people to travel all over the country from today and then land back in to schools next monday and tuesday to mix with 30 or so other from numerous different families, no masks etc?

Because they have find some sort of balance between what’s necessary and what people will actually abide by. You’ll remain confused forever if you take such an all or nothing view of everything. If people would just cop the fcuk and stay at home for just one Christmas it would be manageable with the schools open but people are too self absorbed to change their habits significantly, even when it’s only temporary. The same people then whinge about lockdowns, lost in their own ignorance. I find it utterly depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Dub81 wrote: »
    Thousands of people back on the pandemic payment now, what more proof is needed that NPHET have had it in for pubs since the very start.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/6291485/covid-outbreaks-restauarants-gastro-pubs-cafes-reopening/

Another ''Victim'' Who get's his hard news by buying The Sun.
    Nothing more really to be said here. Have a pleasant evening all.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭PommieBast

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I don't believe there's an anti alcohol agenda, but I do believe that the government is so out of touch that literally none of this has occurred to them.....
    Just look at what INIS was doing. Stringing people along with last-minute 4-6 week visa extensions, and it took them six months to analyze a "pilot" virtual ceremoney that only had 20 or so people. I was supposed to have an Irish passport back in July but from the way authorities have acted would not be surprised if July next year comes and goes.

Change a few words and you have the story with pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

PTH2009 wrote: »
    a lot of places are controlled but there all grouped into 1 when a controversial social media video surfaces (which sometimes is not as bad as made out)

It's a damning indictment of our society that media outrage was more intense when a under 1 minute video surfaced showing a barman pour shots into the mouths of a handful of people in what appeared to be a half empty bar, but gave a free pass to 5000 wasters violating the 5km rule, and specific advice regarding the event, to protest outside the US embassy to mourn the death of some junkie who would have robbed the teeth out of their mouth given half the chance. To my knowledge not a single cheerleader of the status quo outright condemned this event.

Of course, said same wasters from the hard left are the biggest advocates of full lockdowns. Primarily because they are on cloud nine by being eligible for welfare payments that often exceed the wages of their at best part time jobs.

It's also worth remembering the measures that have been taken, or attempted to be taken, to realise what else is at play here.

NPHET- several members, Holohan in particular, are on the record for years demanding that Ireland needs to change its relationship with the pub, to adopt the European approach of a small bite to eat accompanied by two or three bottles of beer/ wines, over sinking 13 pints all afternoon watching football. Alcohol Awareness Ireand stating that we are now in the right time to introduce minimum alcohol pricing.

FF/ FG- agreed to arguably the most unpopular coailition decision in the history of the state at a time when public protest was effectively illegal. I am no fan of SF and do not buy their supporters nonsense that the people gave them a mandate, regardless I do believe that if this coalition had been decided in "normal times" the street protests would have given water charges a run for their money. An effective coup in a state of emergency.

Green Party- their gobshiet reps on Dublin City Council trying to force through 30km speed limits on most main roads, using more pedestrians and cyclists out and about due to Covid lay offs as an excuse. Also using it as cover to re design city streets in a cycle friendly car hostile model.

Don't even start me on their success at moving the gullible from cash to card (although anecdotally at least a lot more people seem to have returned to cash lately)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭cityboyjim

Back in the day there was a law for the hospitality trade while stated that people OUTSIDE a three mile radius could drink all night in Pubs, but people living inside three miles had to observe closing time .On entering most Garda stations one will still see the local map on the wall with a circle outlining the three mile radius .
    A way to open rural Pubs would be to allow people living INSIDE that three mile radius visit the local Bar and socialize in a responsible manner with proper guidelines in place .
    The HSE should publish the location of all Covid cases .
    Once a case shows with the three mile radius the Bar closes until its clear again .
    It should be in the Publicans interest to police this with also daily visits from the Gardai .There should be instant closure if a Publican is found to have somebody from outside the area on the Premises .
    Drinking permits should be issued to locals inside the area.
    This means that people living on their own could at last have an hour of companionship .
    One thing we have learned is that social interaction is just so important .Especially in rural Ireland .For town and Cities we will have to leave it to 15 per outlet indoors in a safe environment .This should have been done weeks into this .Thanks for reading .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

582 new cases , serious increase in numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

MadYaker wrote: »
    Because they have find some sort of balance between what’s necessary and what people will actually abide by. You’ll remain confused forever if you take such an all or nothing view of everything. If people would just cop the fcuk and stay at home for just one Christmas it would be manageable with the schools open but people are too self absorbed to change their habits significantly, even when it’s only temporary. The same people then whinge about lockdowns, lost in their own ignorance. I find it utterly depressing.

Your taking the view of schools being necessary as a whole and once again not looking again at the question being asked.

Again it’s not an all or nothing view, maybe this ir more deflection?

Overall schools need to be open, that’s not the argument I’m making but you know that . Are the 2 days of school next week necessary?

But in the face of rising cases where we are being told to reduce all unnecessary contacts why are people allowed now to travel the country and then go back to schools next Monday and Tuesday for 2 days of no actual learning?

I would love nothing more than to sit up for the next 2 weeks but I can’t because my kids have 2 days of needless classes.

People do get lost in their own ignorance where they ignore the very thing they are campaigning for ie less contact with others rather than bring themselves to say, ye know what lord Tony and co have this one wrong!

And what’s more the ignorance associated with that view ignores the very real job of bringing people with you because frankly they are talking out of both sides of their mouths when it comes to this. Preaching it’s all about contacts when in reality it’s all about optics.

Either way enough on it, there’s a schools thread.

• Advertisement

LuasSimon wrote: »
    582 new cases , serious increase in numbers

I suppose most of them numbers are from pubs,restaurants and cafes 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭aziz

I suppose most of them numbers are from pubs,restaurants and cafes ��

Well I don’t want to exaggerate but there were 500 cases in one pub yesterday 😷

aziz wrote: »
    Well I don’t want to exaggerate but there were 500 cases in one pub yesterday 😷

LOL 😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I suppose most of them numbers are from pubs,restaurants and cafes 🙄

What magical properties do you think pubs have that stop the virus from spreading?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I suppose most of them numbers are from pubs,restaurants and cafes ��

Definitely not restaurants and cafes. Increase is 100% down to "wet" pubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

What magical properties do you think pubs have that stop the virus from spreading?

I've been saying this for months but the idiots won't listen. Just put a few schoolkids on the door, or worst case at every table, and the magical fairy dust will keep everyone safe. Although that might be overkill - maybe just listing prices on a blackboard will be enough. It's hard to know exactly how these mystical protections work

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

Wet pubs won’t be able to serve a pint till Easter at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

my neighbour local publican, asked him in passing when he thinks it might open again , he said VFI head man from Summerhill said wont be anything opened til mid May at the least. id say they will wait to get june bank holiday over before green light

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Dickie10 wrote: »
    my neighbour local publican, asked him in passing when he thinks it might open again , he said VFI head man from Summerhill said wont be anything opened til mid May at the least. id say they will wait to get june bank holiday over before green light

And like everyone else their guessing. VFI & LVA haven't a clue, they just get told by government.

Let's see how vaccine rollout goes, looking like we'll have 3 in January so that'll have a huge impact

I live in the midwest, and the traditional pubs are already falling like dominoes in rural areas. The death knell is near for numerous others, five/six months down the line is miles too late. What Tony Holohan the reformed case (my opinion, sue me) is doing to thousands of livelihoods is criminal, not to mention those people that frequent these establishments for their social outlet. It's an absolute disgrace, the VFI might as well be stuffed dummies for all their influence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i have asked this numerous times without answer, but surely young people , the "Club 18-30" are present and much same all over europe/western world in that they love parties, sesh and antics, like i see massive raves and clubs in the med. and germany, holland and belgium,sweden. so do the irish really behave any different to British and european with alcohol or achol consumption? do other countries seem as obssesseed about drink as irish medics etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭redarmy

RTÉ News
    @rtenews
    People will be permitted to travel between counties until 7 January under plans being considered by the Government. RTÉ News understands that restaurants and bars serving food will be allowed to continue trading up until 30 December

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭hynesie08

redarmy wrote: »
    RTÉ News
    @rtenews
    People will be permitted to travel between counties until 7 January under plans being considered by the Government. RTÉ News understands that restaurants and bars serving food will be allowed to continue trading up until 30 December

Midnight or close of business........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Well the government seems to think that they have magical powers that exponentially make the virus spread more than christmas shopping or a school does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

cityboyjim wrote: »
    Back in the day there was a law for the hospitality trade while stated that people OUTSIDE a three mile radius could drink all night in Pubs, but people living inside three miles had to observe closing time .On entering most Garda stations one will still see the local map on the wall with a circle outlining the three mile radius .
    A way to open rural Pubs would be to allow people living INSIDE that three mile radius visit the local Bar and socialize in a responsible manner with proper guidelines in place .
    The HSE should publish the location of all Covid cases .
    Once a case shows with the three mile radius the Bar closes until its clear again .
    It should be in the Publicans interest to police this with also daily visits from the Gardai .There should be instant closure if a Publican is found to have somebody from outside the area on the Premises .
    Drinking permits should be issued to locals inside the area.
    This means that people living on their own could at last have an hour of companionship .
    One thing we have learned is that social interaction is just so important .Especially in rural Ireland .For town and Cities we will have to leave it to 15 per outlet indoors in a safe environment .This should have been done weeks into this .Thanks for reading .

This makes way too much sense for NPHET or the Gubberment to consider recommending this. Something like this is workable, anyone can see that except those who sit behind screens and dole out "rules"

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭cityboyjim

The Revenue generated would more than pay for the implementation and bring a couple of jobs back .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Just hearing from my in-laws from Letterkenny. They went out for meal in the pub with some friends on Friday evening. The had the table booked, but on arrival they found the place packed, staff not wearing any sort of mask, tables of 12, loads of people milling about. They decided it was no good and turned around and walked out despite the manager's efforts. They said no wonder Donegal is in a state if people think that's a way to run a pub at the minute.

Just hearing from my in-laws from Letterkenny. They went out for meal in the pub with some friends on Friday evening. The had the table booked, but on arrival they found the place packed, staff not wearing any sort of mask, tables of 12, loads of people milling about. They decided it was no good and turned around and walked out despite the manager's efforts. They said no wonder Donegal is in a state if people think that's a way to run a pub at the minute.

The border counties are all behaving like that. Up the north you can tell whose southern or northern in the buttercrane centre by the mask wearing. Just dont give a fiddlers up there and in the surrounding counties here

Foul odour emanating off this post. Reminds me of your declaration the other week that people were sitting on each others' laps, all loved up in the local. You take artistic licence with the truth, hate to break it to you very few of us are buying your thinly-disguised agenda.

Foul odour emanating off this post. Reminds me of your declaration the other week that people were sitting on each others' laps, all loved up in the local. You take artistic licence with the truth, hate to break it to you very few of us are buying your thinly-disguised agenda.

If he said it was any other part of the country id agree but up there id believe it, although this ‘decided not to stay despite the manager pleading’ craic probably isnt correct.

That said those pubs sound like great craic and I thoroughly miss just being able to have a pint and not even lie about wanting food

Tell me all about my thinly veiled agenda, please. What is it?

Furthermore, I was accused of lying the other week, so in response I sent a photo of the busy pub the next evening in PM to one of my doubters. He didn't have the good grace to confirm what the photo showed.

You can deny all you like.

• Advertisement

Tell me all about my thinly veiled agenda, please. What is it?

Stevie Wonder could see it. Your contempt for pubs and those who frequent them is pristine clear.

If he said it was any other part of the country id agree but up there id believe it, although this ‘decided not to stay despite the manager pleading’ craic probably isnt correct.

That said those pubs sound like great craic and I thoroughly miss just being able to have a pint and not even lie about wanting food

I am honestly not gilding the lily, that story is 100% exactly as heard over my shoulder 20 minutes ago.

Stevie Wonder could see it. Your contempt for pubs and those who frequent them is pristine clear.

I'm really struggling not to be uncivil in my response. I really hate hearing somebody telling me I have contempt for my own in laws. You don't know me, you don't know my attitudes to people enjoying themselves the way they want to.

I'm posting here to disrupt the circle jerk of denial about this disease and the need to be careful. I'm not here for abuse.

i have asked this numerous times without answer, but surely young people , the "Club 18-30" are present and much same all over europe/western world in that they love parties, sesh and antics, like i see massive raves and clubs in the med. and germany, holland and belgium,sweden. so do the irish really behave any different to British and european with alcohol or achol consumption? do other countries seem as obssesseed about drink as irish medics etc?

It's a confusing one.

According to one survey I read Spain has higher rates of cocaine and ecstasy use than we do.

Germany has Europe's most renowned clubbing city (Berlin), the Love Parade event, Oktoberfest etc.

Yet it confuses me. Most Spaniards I've come across here would be fairly refined and would find the sesh habits of the Irish quite uncouth. The idea of them sinking 14 pints in a pub all afternoon is unthinkable to me.

As for Germans, most of those I encountered in my one year spent in Australia were tight as a nun. Wouldn't buy more than two drinks on a night out. I know Berlin is good value for money but these lads, and in particular ladies, seemed far removed from doing anything fun that would cost you more than a tenner.

Perhaps they just have a higher percentage of dry ****es.

I'm really struggling not to be uncivil in my response. I really hate hearing somebody telling me I have contempt for my own in laws. You don't know me, you don't know my attitudes to people enjoying themselves the way they want to.

I'm posting here to disrupt the circle jerk of denial about this disease and the need to be careful. I'm not here for abuse.

There you go twisting my words, where did I chastise your in-laws. A dishonest and manipulative tactic to attract mod intervention. You know all too well I'm referring to your posting history on this thread. And your "attitudes" as you describe them have been laid bare from day one here.

Xtrail14 wrote: »
    Wet pubs won’t be able to serve a pint till Easter at least.

True. I said it before the lift this time that they wouldn't allow us Paddy's Day or the closely following Easter BH.

We will be lucky to get it by Tuesday April 6th even if cases are dramatically down.

13 whole weekends. I think I'll start getting the overtime in again, feck all else to do :(

It's a confusing one.

According to one survey I read Spain has higher rates of cocaine and ecstasy use than we do.

Germany has Europe's most renowned clubbing city (Berlin), the Love Parade event, Oktoberfest etc.

Yet it confuses me. Most Spaniards I've come across here would be fairly refined and would find the sesh habits of the Irish quite uncouth. The idea of them sinking 14 pints in a pub all afternoon is unthinkable to me.

As for Germans, most of those I encountered in my one year spent in Australia were tight as a nun. Wouldn't buy more than two drinks on a night out. I know Berlin is good value for money but these lads, and in particular ladies, seemed far removed from doing anything fun that would cost you more than a tenner.

Perhaps they just have a higher percentage of dry ****es.

Ive met lots of boozy germans, go to any country where drink is cheaper for them and youll find them sh*tfaced 24/7 , they just wont spend a penny above home prices for anything. Met a german in brussels who gave up smoking for 2 weeks because the cigarettes were so expensive.

There you go twisting my words, where did I chastise your in-laws. A dishonest and manipulative tactic to attract mod intervention. You know all too well I'm referring to your posting history on this thread. And your "attitudes" as you describe them have been laid bare from day one here.

It's not at all a twisting of your words in the least. You're telling me I have contempt for the people who frequent pubs, which clearly from the story includes my in-laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I found a lot of Germans especially the northerners would never entertain the spontaneity of a chance session, everything had to be planned in advance, there wouldn't be much "waiting on for a few" when the allotted time had elapsed, the Bavarians were a bit more relaxed timewise imv... The chance unplanned session can be a thing of great beauty and these are the ones we remember as we grow older

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Publicans and restraunters really need to stand up for themselves and demand they be allowed open.

There been singled out this time more than ever while shopping centres, entertainment venues and churches are been left stay open.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement