Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Publicans and restraunters really need to stand up for themselves and demand they be allowed open.

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Publicans and restraunters really need to stand up for themselves and demand they be allowed open

There been singled out this time more than ever while shopping centres, entertainment venues and churches are been left stay open.

And when they're told no???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Non essential retail looks to be left open whilst pubs shut down.

I work in a large non essential retail establishment which has been very busy over the last month and will be in January too. Social distancing is impossible. They cannot possibly tell me that pubs are worse than this. They cannot possibly tell us that there isn't an ulterior motive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

They cannot possibly tell us that there isn't an ulterior motive.

They can and they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

I found a lot of Germans especially the northerners would never entertain the spontaneity of a chance session, everything had to be planned in advance, there wouldn't be much "waiting on for a few" when the allotted time had elapsed, the Bavarians were a bit more relaxed timewise imv... The chance unplanned session can be a thing of great beauty and these are the ones we remember as we grow older

yea very strange , you would think someone must be going to keep clubs and festivals going in those countries. I would imagine British people are similar to irish in drinking habits? eastern europe prob totally different? so begs the question are european medics as puritan about drink as out gang?

Is there more to it? are our medics kind of nerd types who wouldnt have been the popular kids in school so they get there revenge in now. You always get the idea theres a certain cohort of 17-25 who dont ever have the social skills to enjoy imrpomtu sesh or sit in a pub drinking pints and putting the world to rights of a an evening. As a teacher Im always fascinated with the varying social skills of students when the get into 16-17 age bracket. Some are really quiet and withdrawn others could say mass!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Screenshot-20201219-143903-com-android-chrome.jpg

Screenshot-20201219-143855-com-android-chrome.jpg

I know some vehemently disagree, but I think many will look on this comparison and conclude Tony and co took us down the right path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

boombang wrote: »
    Screenshot-20201219-143903-com-android-chrome.jpg

Screenshot-20201219-143855-com-android-chrome.jpg

I know some vehemently disagree, but I think many will look on this comparison and conclude Tony and co took us down the right path.

It's saved lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭vafankillar

has anyone actually heard of many pubs announcing they are shutting down? there's been scaremongering all year as if we're going to loss every pub in ireland but so fair i've only heard of one or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

How come more pubs aren't going bust? I haven't noticed any ceasing trading in Galway. I have friends who work in the pub trade here, some have been shut the whole way through but plan to open next summer. How do they pay their rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Those two graphs say it all.

I'm glad our society prioritised people lives over a few sad piss artists who miss the pub. It's as simple as that.

Tony Holohan and NPHET are absolute heroes. Hopefully the government listen to them yet again.

• Advertisement

Those two graphs say it all.

I'm glad our society prioritised people lives over a few sad piss artists who miss the pub. It's as simple as that.

Tony Holohan and NPHET are absolute heroes. Hopefully the government listen to them yet again.

Can you back up your claim that it's due to pubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Can you back up your claim that it's due to pubs?

Listen my friend. You don't need a scientific study to show that a poorly ventilated space where people spend hours on end imbibing a substance known to reduce inhibitions is a disaster when it comes to spreading a virus. That's just common sense my friend. No proof needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Couldn't believe the crowds outside some pubs in town earlier
    Smoking, queuing to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The beast is amongst us

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Listen my friend. You don't need a scientific study to show that a poorly ventilated space where people spend hours on end imbibing a substance known to reduce inhibitions is a disaster when it comes to spreading a virus. That's just common sense my friend. No proof needed.

The only proof that some posters here might accept would be some form of magic lantern device that would illuminate Virus particles in the air, and even then they'd be finding some wierd excuse why their favourite wet pub should be open, despite all the compelling evidence to the contrary.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭PommieBast

MadYaker wrote: »
    How come more pubs aren't going bust? I haven't noticed any ceasing trading in Galway. I have friends who work in the pub trade here, some have been shut the whole way through but plan to open next summer. How do they pay their rent?
    With so many Dublin pubs boarded up since March it is hard to tell which ones will and will not be coming back. For the time being there is not much motivation on the part of landlords/creditors to kick off reposession/bankruptcy procedures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

PommieBast wrote: »
    With so many Dublin pubs boarded up since March it is hard to tell which ones will and will not be coming back. For the time being there is not much motivation on the part of landlords/creditors to kick off reposession/bankruptcy procedures.

Yes, I`m afraid you are right, there are closed up establishments throughout the entire country which are in limbo. Its a bigger issue in rural areas where realistically not so many of them will reopen. Remember these publicans will be going to their banks and asking for a loan to get moving again or at least an overdraft. It is probably likely that they will need to install some sort of kitchen to get trading again. When the banker asks for a proposal showing income for the last 3 years and projections for the next year what does the publican produce. That is not a justifiable business proposition for a bank so therefore a lot of the rural pubs will fail
    I was out last evening and the manager told me they are closing next Thursday and will not open again untill there is a clear pathway to opening again. They simply cannot operate with the uncertainty that is there at the moment. If they order supplies and arrange staff to come in how sure are they that they will be allowed trade

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The beast is amongst us

....and you had better behave yourselves

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

The new Covid strain is been brought in to our Airports tonight as the planes land from Stanstead and Heathrow.

Those punters home from London will give it to plenty when they call to the local Gastro Pub , numbers are going to go through the roof in coming fortnight!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

LuasSimon wrote: »
    The new Covid strain is been brought in to our Airports tonight as the planes land from Stanstead and Heathrow.

Those punters home from London will give it to plenty when they call to the local Gastro Pub , numbers are going to go through the roof in coming fortnight!

its in the uk since last september its well here already

• Advertisement

Holohan wouldn't dream of pointing out the obvious, it doesn't neatly fit with his ambition of hammering the hospitality sector into submission. Pubs are the bogeyman, despite there being virtually no cases attributed to them since December 1st. Easy target for the uninformed and downright ignorant to aim at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Neowise

Travelers have to self isolate for two weeks, so it will be at least 2 weeks plus incubation period, so 3 weeks before we see new strain here in ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Was chatting to a guy earlier who caught covid in the last lockdown, he said he caught it onsite and it was caught from 11 employee's flying in from London on a Monday and flying home on Friday , 40 people onsite caught it from those 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Neowise wrote: »
    Travelers have to self isolate for two weeks, so it will be at least 2 weeks plus incubation period, so 3 weeks before we see new strain here in ireland.

Nobody is self isolating for the two weeks over the Xmas they have flown home for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Remember these publicans will be going to their banks and asking for a loan to get moving again or at least an overdraft. It is probably likely that they will need to install some sort of kitchen to get trading again. When the banker asks for a proposal showing income for the last 3 years and projections for the next year what does the publican produce. That is not a justifiable business proposition for a bank so therefore a lot of the rural pubs will fail
    I suspect a lot have already approached their banks, possibly multiple times. I suspect that Covid-related debt may well be a stability issue for Irish banks in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭harmless

This is good as most travelers in my area do not use masks.
    Couldn't believe the crowds outside some pubs in town earlier
    Smoking, queuing to get in.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/843227924

Skip to 1 hr 40 mins

Anyone who has stayed at home can see what they're missing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Temple Bar , 11pm,Sat, 5 hours ago :confused:

Temple-Bar-11pm.jpg

Travelers have to self isolate

"have to" is not enforced.

I know personally of two people who have been to the UK and back twice already in the last 3 months, and are heading over again for Christmas. No isolation, no tests, nothing. Straight from the airport to a cafe. Idiots.

The government haven't made anything mandatory. The cost of a mandatory test before you get on the plane would have halted these two, but like many others, they couldn't give a sh/te and there's no punishment.

Ish66 wrote: »
    Temple Bar , 11pm,Sat, 5 hours ago :confused:

Temple-Bar-11pm.jpg

"Area with pubs crowded at kick out time"

• Advertisement

hynesie08 wrote: »
    "Area with pubs crowded at kick out time"

Exactly, what doe people expect now that you don't need to order a meal so table service is not necessary.

There is no way there would be a crowd like this if it was table service only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

harmless wrote: »
    Exactly, what doe people expect now that you don't need to order a meal so table service is not necessary.

You still have to order a meal

What?

Yes but as seen from many of the videos you don't need table service to order.

It wouldn't get so packed if a full meal and table service was a requirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Yes but as seen from many of the videos you don't need table service to order.

It wouldn't get so packed if a full meal and table service was a requirement.

The owners are irresponsible scumbags. They should be shut down, the governments lack of enforcement on this does nothing but enable this type of dangerous behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

It is just common sense.

It’s hilarious that the members of the “open the pubs” brigade think they’re entitled to waste everyone’s time asking for scientific articles proving that pubs are bad for spreading the virus. It’s patently obvious how much of a disaster things would be if they were allowed to slobber all over each other when there’s a highly infectious virus running loose this winter.

Incidentally I notice one particular “open the pubster” has been very quiet this weekend. Hopefully he isn’t in some Gallic speakeasy in the midwest, enjoying a lock in with Pepe le Pew and Jean Fraud. Them pretending to be his grande amis, debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If we weren't a country of morons there'd be no crowds at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

as can be seen with a "NEW" strain even the hyped vaccination is not going to change things much.
    can sit in class then go to parents, sit on bus or dart (shortage of carriages is showing up whilst they save money
    Bray-Dublin). shops for food and necessary items and pubs with food. private clubs with membership and comply
    with covid distancing are closed because they do not serve food despite they have to show membership and
    are traceable.
    Fact you will get the virus unless you are a hermit. you will or not suffer\die as all humans are different.
    seemingly there are those whom seem to have been infected twice or more.
    the "foodless" pubs have been treated unequally in a time of equality.
    humans have the right to choice and if want to go for a drink then that is their right and they may die.
    Ohters whom claim it is a danger to them should lock themselves in a box until a cure is found.
    Someone has to go to work and mix with school goers etc then return and maybe pass to me whom has restricted
    contacts -- So why the pub closed -- there will always be thieves\murderers etc and those whom are not as careful
    re covid and that is life. politicians are hitting small business "pubs" and me unfairly as they attempt to LOOK good
    for public approval and no evidence to support any restrictive actions have any effect on the virus.
    How many weeks lockdown and figures of 500 --- its all a farce which gives creedance to conspiracy theories.

Less of the insults, I'm not your friend.

That'll be a no then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

jelem wrote: »
    as can be seen with a "NEW" strain even the hyped vaccination is not going to change things much.
    can sit in class then go to parents, sit on bus or dart (shortage of carriages is showing up whilst they save money
    Bray-Dublin). shops for food and necessary items and pubs with food. private clubs with membership and comply
    with covid distancing are closed because they do not serve food despite they have to show membership and
    are traceable.
    Fact you will get the virus unless you are a hermit. you will or not suffer\die as all humans are different.
    seemingly there are those whom seem to have been infected twice or more.
    the "foodless" pubs have been treated unequally in a time of equality.
    humans have the right to choice and if want to go for a drink then that is their right and they may die.
    Ohters whom claim it is a danger to them should lock themselves in a box until a cure is found.
    Someone has to go to work and mix with school goers etc then return and maybe pass to me whom has restricted
    contacts -- So why the pub closed -- there will always be thieves\murderers etc and those whom are not as careful
    re covid and that is life. politicians are hitting small business "pubs" and me unfairly as they attempt to LOOK good
    for public approval and no evidence to support any restrictive actions have any effect on the virus.
    How many weeks lockdown and figures of 500 --- its all a farce which gives creedance to conspiracy theories.

humans have the right to choice bar when there is a serious situation where that choice can be removed, such as currently.
    you can go for a drink if you want while there are pubs open, and when not you can buy cans and bottles at the off license or super market, i have been doing that for years and saving a fortune and a much better experience. friends and some family members are the same.
    people locking themselves in boxes until a cure is found is unworkable, but minor and limited restrictions such as what we have are certainly workable.
    pubs are not being hit unfairly, they are being hit on a level in terms of the risk they pose, and in normal times they are one of the most pampered groups in society anyway.
    there is plenty of evidence to support everything they are doing, you just don't like what they are doing so are dismissing the evidence, but that does not make the evidence go away, i'm afraid, it still remains evidence.
    the conspiricy theories exist because there are dangerous individuals who want to try and cause kayoss for their own political agenda, it's nothing to do with people not seeing because of the approach most countries are taking, what they are expecting to see had countries just let the virus rip.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I hope the Government take the advice of NPHET and medical professionals and take immediate action to close down all pubs and restaurants after Christmas Day. Maybe even earlier if the case numbers continue to deteriorate. If past evidence is anything to go by then days like Stephen's Day are a fiasco - men hitting the pub at 12 to watch racing, soccer and darts. Hoovering back pints of lager, being lairy, hugging each other, congregating in the smoking area, United fans chanting in fake Manchester accents if some overpriced journeyman scores a goal etc.

Impossible to keep groups like that separated, and bar owners would be under pressure to move groups on in the middle of a match, race etc. Paddy Problem Drinker might be aggrieved that he can't follow his annual tradition of being drunk by 2PM on Stephen's Day down in his local grotty little boozer, but the health of the populace must take precedence over selfishness and individualism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Some pubs are turning a blind eye to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Somewhat hyperbolic, considering that wet pubs are shut since March and current restrictions mean this is impossible in gastropubs. And won't be happening at all in ten days or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

What I always find amusing about this site is that in normal times most of the threads were about how wretchedly expensive pubs are, how posters around here don't visit them, how publicans are the greediest sods on the island, and how they have the Government in their pockets.

Now it's lads getting nostalgic about perching their arse up on a barstool at the counter of some kip of a pub so they can talk absolute scutter with Billly Big Belly Barman while drinking pints of lager.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

perching their arse up on a barstool at the counter of some kip of a pub so they can talk absolute scutter with Billly Big Belly Barman while drinking pints of lager.

Good times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

What I always find amusing about this site is that in normal times most of the threads were about how wretchedly expensive pubs are, how posters around here don't visit them, how publicans are the greediest sods on the island, and how they have the Government in their pockets.

Now it's lads getting nostalgic about perching their arse up on a barstool at the counter of some kip of a pub so they can talk absolute scutter with Billly Big Belly Barman while drinking pints of lager.

you mean normality.

you just suggested we'd all be getting ratarsed on boxing day at noon and watching 'darts???'.

make your mind up. Are we doing it or will we just be getting nostalgic about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

muppet begrudger statement

• Tazz T wrote: »
    you mean normality.

you just suggested we'd all be getting ratarsed on boxing day at noon and watching 'darts???'.

make your mind up. Are we doing it or will we just be getting nostalgic about it?

I’ll show he Boxing Day.

It’s St. Stephen’s Day :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Time to stock up on booze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

s8n wrote: »
    muppet begrudger statement

it's not though in fairness, it's a quite accurate assessment of the attitude of some people on here where it comes to pubs.

not everyone obviously but certainly a number.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

it's not though in fairness, it's a quite accurate assessment of the attitude of some people on here where it comes to pubs.

not everyone obviously but certainly a number.

At least the few slurred voices caterwauling about conspiracies from the government to keep the drinkers down aren’t so loud this weekend. 764 cases, four deaths and a packed Temple Bar last night. I hope the pints were worth it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement