Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

At least the few slurred voices caterwauling about conspiracies from the government to keep the drinkers down aren’t so loud this weekend. 764 cases, four deaths and a packed Temple Bar last night. I hope the pints were worth it.

indeed they are quite thankfully.
    shur look i love drink and i'm ridiculously liberal when it comes to it, such as believing that in normal times pubs and clubs etc should be able to decide for themselves when they open and not, but the fact is we are in a pandemic situation and pubs being the least important of things we have to prioritise when dealing with this, not to mention the potentially higher risk they can pose, means they have to be restricted more then other outlets while covid remains an issue.
    the fact is that controlling and minimizing the spread of this virus along with the damage limitation measures have to come before one's want to get a drink in a pub.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭hynesie08

At least the few slurred voices caterwauling about conspiracies from the government to keep the drinkers down aren’t so loud this weekend. 764 cases, four deaths and a packed Temple Bar last night. I hope the pints were worth it.

You think there's a mutation that led from a busy (outside) temple bar at 11 o clock last night to cases today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

hynesie08 wrote: »
    You think there's a mutation that led from a busy (outside) temple bar at 11 o clock last night to cases today?

Nah that won’t be until tomorrow when they announce 800 or 900 new cases, or maybe on Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Will the Wet pubs be open before next Summer ?
    If this new Covid strain comes in from London itll be months not weeks of a lockdown in the new Year

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

Those two graphs say it all.

I'm glad our society prioritised people lives over a few sad piss artists who miss the pub. It's as simple as that.

Tony Holohan and NPHET are absolute heroes. Hopefully the government listen to them yet again.

If they will listen to NPHET same way as before (delayed and non-working L5) - this is catastrophe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

d a packed Temple Bar last night. I.

Really?

Packed by whom?

There are no tourists around and locals generally wouldn't drink in TB if you paid them.

There seems to be quite a lot of fantasizing lately about packed venues. Packed shops. When in reality any time I've went to the shops since lockdown lifted it has been, for the time of year, scarily quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Add in the new fast spreading corona variant into the mix and we are in for a rocky start to 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Will the Wet pubs be open before next Summer ?

This is a main question today. Will the Wet pubs be open before next Summer or not? We don't about anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

saabsaab wrote: »
    Add in the new fast spreading corona variant into the mix and we are in for a rocky start to 2021.

Numbers will actually properly skyrocket in mid January when people holidaying in Eastern Europe return to work.

Again, Holohan has waged war on pubs yet at best gave tacit disapproval to foreign travel.

His agenda is clear as glass. And I can't recall the last grown adult I met who still believes this farce is all it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

Really?

Packed by whom?

There are no tourists around and locals generally wouldn't drink in TB if you paid them.

There seems to be quite a lot of fantasizing lately about packed venues. Packed shops. When in reality any time I've went to the shops since lockdown lifted it has been, for the time of year, scarily quiet.

Yes, really. Someone in this thread posted a photo last night of a throng of people gathered in Temple Bar.

Numbers will actually properly skyrocket in mid January when people holidaying in Eastern Europe return to work.

Again, Holohan has waged war on pubs yet at best gave tacit disapproval to foreign travel.

His agenda is clear as glass. And I can't recall the last grown adult I met who still believes this farce is all it seems.

it was the government who didn't have the balls to stop foreign travel, tony could do nothing about it.
    it was the government who made the correct decision to close the pubs, tony only advised it should happen.
    no agenda here by tony or anyone else, there is no attempt to kill off the pub or any other agenda apart from minimising the spread of this thing.
    people are just going to have to accept that luxury services just aren't a priority for government at the moment, whether it be hospitality or all else. keeping schools hospitals and public transport running along with other public services operational are the priorities.
    yes, it's absolutely s//t for a lot of people but this is where we are and we have to face the reality and deal with it.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Ish66 wrote: »
    Temple Bar , 11pm,Sat, 5 hours ago :confused:

Temple-Bar-11pm.jpg

Great to see. Was out Saturday and today. Brilliant to have an atmosphere in a pub again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Great to see. Was out Saturday and today. Brilliant to have an atmosphere in a pub again.

Won't be happening for much longer unfortunately. My only hope is that when the next lockdown is imposed more businesses including pubs and induviduals ignore it and open their doors and people gather in large groups sticking the two fingers up to anymore covid related social austerity.

The fact of the matter is if everyone breaks the rules imposed the Gardai cannot do anything. They cannot shut every pub or bsuiness that breaks any restructions and they cannot arrest everyone. The more non compliance the better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

GT89 wrote: »
    Won't be happening for much longer unfortunately. My only hope is that when the next lockdown is imposed more businesses including pubs and induviduals ignore it and open their doors and people gather in large groups sticking the two fingers up to anymore covid related social austerity.

The fact of the matter is if everyone breaks the rules imposed the Gardai cannot do anything. They cannot shut every pub or bsuiness that breaks any restructions and they cannot arrest everyone. The more non compliance the better.

You`re still living in fantasy land I see. What is it like there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,995 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ish66 wrote: »
    Temple Bar , 11pm,Sat, 5 hours ago :confused:

Temple-Bar-11pm.jpg

Is that an old photo, is that a food pub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

harmless wrote: »
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/843227924

Skip to 1 hr 40 mins

Anyone who has stayed at home can see what they're missing

This has genuinely upset me. This has been a really hard year with work opening and closing, fighting a*shole customers and greedy owners who wanted rules bent left and right when we finally did get to work. The same people that btw were the first on facebook crying out that pubs should be given a chance. Then you see something like this and you think not only will my job be gone again in a week but it is actually for the best because the greed displayed on both sides of that counter is disgusting during a pandemic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

I work in the hospitality sector and it's a nightmare the minute but can see the reasons why...if we are locking down then it's needs to be a total lockdown

Was out in 2 pubs in Swords on Saturday night. Both pubs were well set up and everyone in them were well behaved. Plenty of spaces between tables, and loads of hand sanitizer. First pub we were in we had food. The 2nd pub we didnt need to get food. Nice to get out for a few pints with friends

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Was out in 2 pubs in Swords on Saturday night. Both pubs were well set up and everyone in them were well behaved. Plenty of spaces between tables, and loads of hand sanitizer. First pub we were in we had food. The 2nd pub we didnt need to get food. Nice to get out for a few pints with friends

Thought you had to order a 9euro meal

sasta le wrote: »

We didnt in the 2nd pub.When we got there they asked if we wanted food and we said no. They said grand and showed us to our table. Stayed there for 4 hours

• Advertisement

We didnt in the 2nd pub.When we got there they asked if we wanted food and we said no. They said grand and showed us to our table. Stayed there for 4 hours

Should have been reported.

Should have been reported.

Why should they be reported? They were still serving food. As i said in an earlier post the place was well set up and everyone was well behaved. If you left your table to go to the bathroom without a face mask the staff were quick to tell you to put it on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

Where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

sasta le wrote: »

Thats only in the respectable businesses.

Where?

Mo's Tavern,have you heard of it :D

Why should they be reported? They were still serving food. As i said in an earlier post the place was well set up and everyone was well behaved. If you left your table to go to the bathroom without a face mask the staff were quick to tell you to put it on

If you didn`t want food you should have been told to leave the premises straight away without being served any alcohol. The rules were flouted.

If you didn`t want food you should have been told to leave the premises straight away without being served any alcohol. The rules were flouted.

You know whats wrong with this country. Theres too many people like you that cant keep there nose out of things. As i said before. The place was well run and no one was acting the bollox. If we had to get food we would have got some but we didnt need too

You know whats wrong with this country. Theres too many people like you that cant keep there nose out of things. As i said before. The place was well run and no one was acting the bollox. If we had to get food we would have got some but we didnt need too

Irrelevant.The rule is no food no booze.

Irrelevant.The rule is no food no booze.

It wouldnt have bothered me if i had to have ordered food. I still got to enjoy a few nice pints for 4 hours :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

What's wrong with this country is that too many people are flouting the rules actually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

It wouldnt have bothered me if i had to have ordered food. I still got to enjoy a few nice pints for 4 hours :D

People like you and the pub that served you are the driving force behind this epidemic. Shame on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Oops!

People like you and the pub that served you are the driving force behind this epidemic. Shame on you.

No... They are not.

No we are not. Maybe you have been hiding under your bed for the last nine months but the pubs have been closed for most of the time during the pandemic so how the hell are they the driving force behind it. Show me the numbers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Dub81

i wasnt asked to have food either but seen as i hadnt eaten and i was expecting them to put a menu in front of me i ordered food anyway, like yourelf the pub well set up,plenty of spaces and hand sanitizer there great aul session was had, the anti pub brigade are insufferable still droning on about the "dangers of the pubs" despite the actual facts saying the opposite :rolleyes:

Pubs are safe environments, anyone who says otherwise is deluded and clearly has it in for pubs, a bit like a certain Dr of misery.

Dub81 wrote: »
    i wasnt asked to have food either but seen as i hadnt eaten and i was expecting them to put a menu in front of me i ordered food anyway, like yourelf the pub well set up,plenty of spaces and hand sanitizer there great aul session was had, the anti pub brigade are insufferable still droning on about the "dangers of the pubs" despite the actual facts saying the opposite :rolleyes:

Pubs are safe environments, anyone who says otherwise is deluded and clearly has it in for pubs, a bit like a certain Dr of misery.

That's the pubs you were in, but you can't say all pubs will do what is required.

SAMTALK wrote: »
    That's the pubs you were in, but you can't say all pubs will do what is required.

lets not fool ourselves here,the vast majority of pubs will do as required, and have bent over backwards to ensure safety is paramount whilst in the pub.

Any pub ive been in has abided by every single thing required.

lets not fool ourselves here,the vast majority of pubs will do as required, and have bent over backwards to ensure safety is paramount whilst in the pub.

But all it takes is for the minority not to do it right. This is what causes the problem for the rest.

But all it takes is for the minority not to do it right. This is what causes the problem for the rest.

lets not scrape the barrel here, the same can be said about any industry not just pubs.

lets not scrape the barrel here, the same can be said about any industry not just pubs.

Absoutely, but we were discussing pubs here were we not ?

• Advertisement

Absoutely, but we were discussing pubs here were we not ?

yes indeed, but lets not deflect from that fact that it can happen anywhere, not just pubs, so lets not demonise pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭Russman

I'm sure some are safer than others, but to say anyone who suggests that a relatively poorly ventilated space, with people in close proximity, consuming alcohol, might not be safe in the midst of this pandemic, given what we know about the spread of it, is deluded and clearly has it in for pubs is surely a bit off the wall.

Any thoughts as to why most European governments have closed bars and indoor dining ?

yes indeed, but lets not deflect from that fact that it can happen anywhere, not just pubs, so lets not demonise pubs.

Yes it can happen anywhere and is as I have agreed, but also let's not deflect from the fact that alcohol plays a bigger role in this scenario

GT89 wrote: »

you think yeah?
    very easy to implement enforcement if it is needed.
    doesn't need to involve arresting everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Except the food requirement :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

There's no reasoning with these lockdown curtain twitching fanatics

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I think you'd be fooling yourself thinking that most pubs will abide by the restrictions to the point they wouldn't cause an issue. Yes, some might.. But many won't. Every time the country starts to open up again the pubs are jammed to the rafters. Drunk people don't have the same mentality and same boundaries attached as when they're sober and who's going to enforce the guidelines in every pub in the country? You can expect door staff to be everywhere at once, can't rely on people to social distance themselves, can't expect the guards to be in every pub in the country and the bar staff definitely can't do it! While it could be said of any business its obvious alcohol is a major factor in the spread of covid. If its not in pubs its house parties at home. It's so sad and devastating to many business owners up and down the country but leaving pubs and restaurants open.. Where people can mingle.. Is obviously gonna add to an upsurge in cases.

I’ve yet to see, even a video, of a pub jammed to the rafters since March of this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Russman wrote: »
    I'm sure some are safer than others, but to say anyone who suggests that a relatively poorly ventilated space, with people in close proximity, consuming alcohol, might not be safe in the midst of this pandemic, given what we know about the spread of it, is deluded and clearly has it in for pubs is surely a bit off the wall.

Any thoughts as to why most European governments have closed bars and indoor dining ?

Any thoughts as to why most European governments allowed all restaurants and pubs to open throughout the summer without having significantly higher infection rates than us - the only country to keep the pubs closed?
    Or why our own figures show no appreciable worsening of the pandemic during the first month after restaurants and food pubs opened in June? (versus a 50% increase in the three weeks after schools opened at the end of August).
    Anyone who keeps insisting that the alcohol is the primary factor in spreading covid despite absolutely zero evidence to this effect is clearly deluded and has it in for pubs.

I think you'd be fooling yourself thinking that most pubs will abide by the restrictions to the point they wouldn't cause an issue. Yes, some might.. But many won't. Every time the country starts to open up again the pubs are jammed to the rafters. Drunk people don't have the same mentality and same boundaries attached as when they're sober and who's going to enforce the guidelines in every pub in the country? You can expect door staff to be everywhere at once, can't rely on people to social distance themselves, can't expect the guards to be in every pub in the country and the bar staff definitely can't do it! While it could be said of any business its obvious alcohol is a major factor in the spread of covid.

I don't know where all these pubs jammed to the rafters are. Nearly all the ones around me have strict limits on numbers and everyone is well behaved. I can think of one, maybe two, which have been open for most of the time, have blatantly flouted the takeaway drinks rules, and anecdotally have been wedged. But since they serve food they've been mostly open. I wouldn't shed any tears if they were shut down, but I've seen the guards show zero interest in them - there's probably a retired superintendent who owns the pubs.

There's also at least three I reckoned back in April would be safe spots when they reopened - older crowd, spacious, well ventilated, one has a huge beer garden and was proactively implementing a lot of the safety requirements even before they closed in March. But since they don't do food, they never reopened. Probably never will.

So instead of allowing all pubs to open with the same restrictions, time limits, etc, and punishing the ones that break that, the genius solution is to arbitrarily make a distinction that permanently closes hundreds which have done nothing wrong and actually rewards the ones which work around the rules.

Looking forward to the ban on private cars, because of the small number of people who drink and drive.
    If its not in pubs its house parties at home. It's so sad and devastating to many business owners up and down the country but leaving pubs and restaurants open.. Where people can mingle.. Is obviously gonna add to an upsurge in cases.
    I've been disturbed by more house parties nearby during the lockdowns than in total during the five years I've lived in this apartment. How do you think contact tracing works there?
    Bunch of people go out to a pub or restaurant following the rules, there's no incentive for them not so share details if one of them later tests positive.
    You think somebody who had a house party is going to say "ah yeah I had ten mates over the weekend before I tested positive, here's all their contact details?"
    They are in me arse. The notion that people aren't mingling any when pubs and restaurants are shut is ridiculously naive. Except with zero controls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I’ve yet to see, even a video, of a pub jammed to the rafters since March of this year.

Hi Jess Brennan, welcome to Boards.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

There's been a good load. Presume you're not on social media, or else don't have many active friends on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭Russman

MOH wrote: »
    Any thoughts as to why most European governments allowed all restaurants and pubs to open throughout the summer without having significantly higher infection rates than us - the only country to keep the pubs closed?
    Or why our own figures show no appreciable worsening of the pandemic during the first month after restaurants and food pubs opened in June? (versus a 50% increase in the three weeks after schools opened at the end of August).
    Anyone who keeps insisting that the alcohol is the primary factor in spreading covid despite absolutely zero evidence to this effect is clearly deluded and has it in for pubs.

Maybe we could have opened in the summer, maybe we should have opened, but here's the thing, we didn't. That doesn't mean its ok to open now.

Our own figures were increasing during the summer but from a very low base. I agree it really kicked off at the end of August, whether that's just the nature of epidemics or due to the schools, I've no idea.

I don't think anyone is suggesting alcohol is the primary factor in the spread. People congregating and mixing is the factor and pretty much the only factor. Contact tracing doesn't go back far enough to catch where most cases were seeded anyway.

But sure look, maybe most of the public health experts and virologists around the world are wrong and its all a dastardly plan to hammer pubs and not get any tax revenue from the thousands of closed venues. Mind you I'd have thought governments would have come up with something simpler if they wanted to get at publicans.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement