Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Russman wrote: »
    Maybe we could have opened in the summer, maybe we should have opened, but here's the thing, we didn't. That doesn't mean its ok to open now.

Our own figures were increasing during the summer but from a very low base. I agree it really kicked off at the end of August, whether that's just the nature of epidemics or due to the schools, I've no idea.

I don't think anyone is suggesting alcohol is the primary factor in the spread. People congregating and mixing is the factor and pretty much the only factor. Contact tracing doesn't go back far enough to catch where most cases were seeded anyway.

But sure look, maybe most of the public health experts and virologists around the world are wrong and its all a dastardly plan to hammer pubs and not get any tax revenue from the thousands of closed venues. Mind you I'd have thought governments would have come up with something simpler if they wanted to get at publicans.

It's quite to clear to most that the anti-alcohol lunatic is not in government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Hi Jess Brennan, welcome to Boards.

Berlin Bar had about 25/30 people in it. It was far from jammed to the rafters.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

First pub closed for non compliance with food regulations despite repeated warnings from Gardai. Somewhere in the North West,odds on it's Ireland's most lawless county Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Hi Jess Brennan, welcome to Boards.

Lol

Did her "brand" recover from that Berlin D2 gig she promoted?

Did it ever suffer in the first place?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

There's no reasoning with these lockdown curtain twitching fanatics

Mod:

Don't post in this thread again. If you can't get your point across without resorting to name calling then your comments are not welcome here. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,933 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Its like going around asking 'any room in the inn' and by god it will get worse the next week

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Its like going around asking 'any room in the inn' and by god it will get worse the next week

Are you really gasping that much for a pint during a once in a century pandemic?

Can you not just get a nice drinks order to the house and settle in like the vast amount of sensible people are doing?

I just don't understand the Pubs desperation of some and I don't ever want to feel it

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Are you really gasping that much for a pint during a once in a century pandemic?

Can you not just get a nice drinks order to the house and settle in like the vast amount of sensible people are doing?

I just don't understand the Pubs desperation of some and I don't ever want to feel it

Maybe some don't like drinking too much at home and want an escape for a few hours

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Maybe some don't like drinking too much at home and want an escape for a few hours

"escape"?

If you need to "escape" the house then go for a lovely wander in the fresh air, you'll feel great after it

Not in a poorly ventilated Pub where the rules are most likely being flouted

Again, the only word that comes to mind seeing some moaning over the pubs is desperation. And I don't get it at all

This is not a normal year nor a normal Christmas

Some need to get that written on T shirts as presents this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The best thing the vitners can do now is encourage people to get vaccinated. That's what gets us out of this. Pubs are not reopening, the figures don't allow it. Not their fault, and government should be doing what they can to bail them out (within reason).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

"escape"?

If you need to "escape" the house then go for a lovely wander in the fresh air, you'll feel great after it

Again, the only word that comes to mind seeing some moaning over the pubs is desperation. And I don't get it at all

This not a normal year nor a normal Christmas

Great idea for a T shirt. 'I survived Covid 19 in 2020"

"escape"?

This not a normal year nor a normal Christmas

Outside of work/shopping do go out for walks and daily exercise. I follow the regulations

No point in locking yourself away if normal activities can be done and in a safe manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

saabsaab wrote: »

There's absolutely no slogan that can't be found on a t shirt these days ;-) https://www.etsy.com/ie/market/corona_shirt

il_794xN.2413705704_oxks.jpg

recyclebin wrote: »

Just a sample of the text in that article
    In the Dublin region, a premises was inspected at 10.30pm and 180-200 people were present, no food was being served and there was no social distancing.

Another premises was inspected at 01.30am with 25 people inside as fresh pints were being pulled, there was no social distancing and no food was being served.

And this is just the ones that were caught. I'd imagine Publicans all over the country are going to be responsible for many, many cases if this wankery is anything to go by

Has the Wexford Publican who had a 3 day Wake (complete with a fcuking marquee) had his doors closed yet I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Has the Wexford Publican who had a 3 day Wake (complete with a fcuking marquee) had his doors closed yet I wonder?

investigation ongoing apparently.
    hopefully he will be dealt with hard.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

investigation ongoing apparently.
    hopefully he will be dealt with hard.

Thanks

The Publican needs to be made a huge example of

Last I read, the case count because of that Wake was at 150 and at least one fatality

Imagine, not wanting to sit in, alone, over the festive period. Desperate feckers. I’ll go out Xmas Eve, and please god, St Stephens Day rather than sitting in alone, watching the walls close in on me and my thoughts getting on top of me. Not everyone has a happy family.

saabsaab wrote: »

“I’m one of the 99.6%”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I was in the pub last Monday, Thursday, Friday & Saturday. It was great. Drinking cans sitting in with your OH is not comparable to sitting in having a few pints with them and family and friends in front of a fire. Had dinner each evening as well, and sat in different places for anywhere between 1.5 and 4 hours.
    Having this Stasi bollocks of wanting pubs named, shamed and closed down as the tables weren't more than 2m apart, or someone sat at a table for 1h46m, or their sandwiches weren't of a sufficient length or whatever the latest advice from nphet is, can go and sh1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

retalivity wrote: »
    I was in the pub last Monday, Thursday, Friday & Saturday. It was great. Drinking cans sitting in with your OH is not comparable to sitting in having a few pints with them and family and friends in front of a fire.
    Having this Stasi bollocks of wanting pubs named, shamed and closed down as the tables weren't more than 2m apart or their sandwiches weren't of a sufficient length or whatever the latest advice from nphet is, can go and sh1te.
    Damn health and safety standards its ruining the pubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I was in the pub last Monday, Thursday, Friday & Saturday. It was great. Drinking cans sitting in with your OH is not comparable to sitting in having a few pints with them and family and friends in front of a fire. Had dinner each evening as well, and sat in different places for anywhere between 1.5 and 4 hours.
    Having this Stasi bollocks of wanting pubs named, shamed and closed down as the tables weren't more than 2m apart, or someone sat at a table for 1h46m, or their sandwiches weren't of a sufficient length or whatever the latest advice from nphet is, can go and sh1te.

Ah here, let the rest of us get a booking and stop hogging the pub!

Well, you can pat yourself on the back for enjoying yourself in the new year when cafes, restaurants, pubs and coffee shops are closed for the next three months or so.

“I’m one of the 99.6%”
    Having this Stasi bollocks

Mark Twain — "Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"

I'm going to take his advice and head back to the Vaccines thread where there's always intelligence and optimism

Versus here; where man-children are almost crying because their "playground" is closed and they refuse to understand why it needs to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

well now Christmas Eve is ruined, pubs closed at lunchtime :( ,
    thank christ I have a booking for tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭vafankillar

was it announced they're closing before christmas eve? brilliant if so

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dwainec

People only have themselves to blame. Shopping centres and Smyth's click and collect queues packed way before the inter county restrictions were lifted. No one wants a lockdown again but no one wants to follow the rules given either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

They close after last orders Christmas eve according to reports not lunchtime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

"escape"?

This is not a normal year nor a normal Christmas

Yep, that would be right to be fair. If you live on your own you can feel desperate for some company and someone to talk to for a while. Would you recommend its healthy to stay at home on your own for days, weeks on end.
    Maybe go for a walk a couple of times a day in the lovely fresh air, that can get a tad boring after a while
    Just wind the rhetoric back a notch, life is not all your viewpoint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Changed my bookings now to Wednesday, may as well enjoy the day in the (gastro)pub before hunkering down to what will be yet another level 5(as the last one worked so well)....

I'd say restaurants will be packed now with customers who were going to enjoy a night out over the holidays, now only left with the 2.5 days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Well, you can pat yourself on the back for enjoying yourself in the new year when cafes, restaurants, pubs and coffee shops are closed for the next three months or so.

They were going to be closed anyway, so best to enjoy it while i can. Three months of nothing opened better than 4

Mark Twain — "Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"

I'm going to take his advice and head back to the Vaccines thread where there's always intelligence and optimism

Versus here; where man-children are almost crying because their "playground" is closed and they refuse to understand why it needs to be

Twain never said that, using made up quotes from the internet make people look like fools. Unfortunately there’s no vaccine for that.

“Only idiots use made up internet quotes” - Ghandi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Neowise

dwainec wrote: »
    People only have themselves to blame. Shopping centres and Smyth's click and collect queues packed way before the inter county restrictions were lifted. No one wants a lockdown again but no one wants to follow the rules given either.

What is your issue with smyths click and collect.

Doing smyths click and collect is not breaking any rules, even at lvl 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dwainec

Neowise wrote: »
    What is your issue with smyths click and collect.

Doing smyths click and collect is not breaking any rules, even at lvl 5.

No issue with the click and collect. The issue is people not following the inter county restrictions, that was just one example.

We need to either lockdown fully for 2/3 weeks or else enforce the rules of inter county travel restrictions etc

They were going to be closed anyway, so best to enjoy it while i can. Three months of nothing opened better than 4

Eh, no. All the gargle mongers are going to be responsible for a lot of cafe's, coffee shops and sensible restaurants being closed for months. But yeah, have fun in the interim.

Eh, no. All the gargle mongers are going to be responsible for a lot of cafe's, coffee shops and sensible restaurants being closed for months. But yeah, have fun in the interim.

seeing scenes in shops vs the small amount of pubs allowed open, its definitely the shops, they're as packed as ever, people on top of each other. Atleast in a pub everyone sat down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

was it announced they're closing before christmas eve? brilliant if so
    Christmas Eve lunchtime seems to be suggested.
    I have lunch booked at 2pm on Christmas Eve...so might sneak in...

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1185831/?__twitter_impression=true

It's also in the journal and independent.

the Indo are claiming lunchtime. Ive still left my booking intact on the off chance they mis interpreted '12 on Christmas Eve' but tomorrow and Wednesday are going to be busy if not, last pint this side of..... march maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Do you have a link to that?
    Everything I have read is saying mid afternoon on Christmas eve

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭harmless

seeing scenes in shops vs the small amount of pubs allowed open, its definitely the shops, they're as packed as ever, people on top of each other. Atleast in a pub everyone sat down.

Fair play! After a long year Christmas is finally here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Lunchtime on Christmas Eve is just ridiculous. Are pubs realistically going to open at 11 or 12 and close at 1 or 2? Either close them or let them operate till at least 6pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭vafankillar

Degag wrote: »
    Lunchtime on Christmas Eve is just ridiculous. Are pubs realistically going to open at 11 or 12 and close at 1 or 2? Either close them or let them operate till at least 6pm.

I think that's the point. instead of just saying you can't open, giving till lunch knowing it's not worth their hole opening up. while still letting cafes/ coffee shops have a good bit of their trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

gmisk wrote: »
    Do you have a link to that?
    Everything I have read is saying mid afternoon on Christmas eve

Independent had it earlier now they're reporting a number of proposals being examined including afternoon. The leaks are constantly changing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

You`re still living in fantasy land I see. What is it like there?

What fantasy land I am only saying what I hope to happen not what I think will happen. I know there's gonna be another lockdown which will appease people like you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

GT89 wrote: »
    What fantasy land I am only saying what I hope to happen not what I think will happen. I know there's gonna be another lockdown which will appease people like you.

The fact that you even hope it happens is yet another sorry example of the mentality you have. No surprise there I guess. You have a long track record of posting the same sort of ****e at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

The fact that you even hope it happens is yet another sorry example of the mentality you have. No surprise there I guess. You have a long track record of posting the same sort of ****e at this stage.

At least be constructive with your posts if you disagree with me fine no need for the aggro it's not gonna get you anywhere. I disagree with the restrictions and hope they end one way or the other.

dwainec wrote: »

Nail on the head. People want it every way but are going to have to live with the consequences now. It’s been a disgrace since the 5 ended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Nail on the head. People want it every way but are going to have to live with the consequences now. It’s been a disgrace since the 5 ended.

What consequences? Going to house party's or the sheebeen instead of pubs and restaurants.
    Off licences will be the scapegoats for fuelling illegal gatherings after Christmas day. Small pot distilling will be all the range again come Valentine's day, expect a potato ban in march.

What consequences? Going to house party's or the sheebeen instead of pubs and restaurants.
    Off licences will be the scapegoats for fuelling illegal gatherings after Christmas day. Small pot distilling will be all the range again come Valentine's day, expect a potato ban in march.

We won’t have spuds because of Brexit apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

We won’t have spuds because of Brexit apparently.

This just goes from varying degrees of brutal to apocalyptic with every passing hour.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement