Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

We won’t have spuds because of Brexit apparently.
    Not true...apart from the Maris Piper ones that are used for chips in a lot of places, lot of them from UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Great news to wake up to this morning.

People have proven they can't be trusted. The cute hoors have to bend and break the rules, and take the proverbial and as a result the doors will be locked up probably until well after Paddy's day this time.

Are you right there folks please?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

People have proven they can't be trusted. The cute hoors have to bend and break the rules, and take the proverbial and as a result the doors will be locked up probably until well after Paddy's day this time.

Great news to wake up to...

Have a bit of respect for those who are losing their jobs right before Christmas again will you.

Must be great on that high horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Great news to wake up to...

Have a bit of respect for those who are losing their jobs right before Christmas again will you.

Must be great on that high horse.

Like the respect that all the people who broke the rules had?

The respect that the pubs who didn't insist on serving food had?

Or maybe the respect that the people who booked 3 restaurants so they could spread out their night had?

If people had behaved in a responsible manner there would be no need to close hospitality. Unfortunately the minority of people and places that ripped the piss have ruined it for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Like the respect that all the people who broke the rules had?

The respect that the pubs who didn't insist on serving food had?

Or maybe the respect that the people who booked 3 restaurants so they could spread out their night had?

If people had behaved in a responsible manner there would be no need to close hospitality. Unfortunately the minority of people and places that ripped the piss have ruined it for everyone

Wait till you see what happens Stephens day and New Years eve with no regulations in peoples houses.
    Just cause they shut the pubs the problem wont go away people have become less fearful and they will just organise house party's now, well there was probably people planning house party's anyway but i'd say more now are planning them.

• Advertisement

mightyreds wrote: »
    Wait till you see what happens Stephens day and New Years eve with no regulations in peoples houses.
    Just cause they shut the pubs the problem wont go away people have become less fearful and they will just organise house party's now, well they were probably people planning house party's anyway but i'd say more now are planning them.

I dont disagree but you can't regulate on the basis of "people will break the rules anyway"

I hope your still working away unlike the poor unfortunate people in the hospitality trade. I know people who have been out of work nearly a year who are struggling to pay there mortgages and bills etc and we have people like you on here laughing at the pubs closing again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I dont disagree but you can't regulate on the basis of "people will break the rules anyway"

Yeah thats true, some of the rules have been fairly poorly thought out though, they really need to get get some sort of proper "living with" plan thats not shut everything, open a little, shut everything.

I understand the intention of the 9 euro meal but all they really did was take 100% of pent up demand and forced it into 50% of the capacity for it.
    It also meant people in rural spots had to go into bigger towns as nothing is open rurally, so everyone squashed into the same spaces.

All what will happen now is, we will go into level 3+ for 2 weeks, panic and go to level 5 for 6 weeks then we'll open gastro pubs and everyone will rush out for a night out away from sitting idle for 8 weeks. The people who partied through the house party stage will go out after anyway as they are probably young and fearless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Dub81

actualy feel sorry for people like you with an attitude like this,reveling in other peoples misery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭v10

investigation ongoing apparently.
    hopefully he will be dealt with hard.
    ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Thanks

The Publican needs to be made a huge example of

Last I read, the case count because of that Wake was at 150 and at least one fatality

I heard about this Funeral/Wake last week. What about the priest that also allowed 150-200 into the church .. shouldn't there also be repercussions for him ? I don't disagree with the publican being penalised somehow but why only the publican ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

What a pathetic post. If this is what you consider "great news", you must live a very sad life indeed. Unless you were referring to the vaccine approval - which of course is actually "great news". But no, you'd rather revel in schadenfreude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

v10 wrote: »
    I heard about this Funeral/Wake last week. What about the priest that also allowed 150-200 into the church .. shouldn't there also be repercussions for him ?

Well you know how the law treats the church in this country

VyOwh6k3lcO8.gif

?s=fatherted&e=S03E04&i=S03E04-tvWTLuiF&t1=EVEN%20A%20BLIND%20EYE%20TURNED&t2=TO%20HOSTING%20A%20LETHAL%20SUPERSPREADER%20EVENT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭v10

Well you know how the law treats the church in this country

VyOwh6k3lcO8.gif

?s=fatherted&e=S03E04&i=S03E04-tvWTLuiF&t1=EVEN%20A%20BLIND%20EYE%20TURNED&t2=TO%20HOSTING%20A%20LETHAL%20SUPERSPREADER%20EVENT

it would be funny if it wasn't true, unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Dub81 wrote: »
    actualy feel sorry for people like you with an attitude like this,reveling in other peoples misery.

Quite a lot seem to enjoy seeing restrictions, shutdowns etc, weird, Leo's curtain twitchers, you'd wonder what kind of life they had before covid.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

bladespin wrote: »
    Quite a lot seem to enjoy seeing restrictions, shutdowns etc, weird, Leo's curtain twitchers, you'd wonder what kind of life they had before covid.

yeah its all very tragic indeed, curtain twitchers is right, the anti pub /anti gargle brigade are certainly the most vocal and are embarrassing with the nonsense they come out with without actually offering up any hard evidence.

3pm closing of restaurants on Christmas eve now by looks of it according to rte..

I rang place I have booked at 2 and they said to come ahead

gmisk wrote: »
    3pm closing of restaurants on Christmas eve now by looks of it according to rte..

Just to rub it in they wouldnt even let us have christmas eve night in the pub:eek: my god ive never seen any industry so demonised as pubs have been in this country, the pub has always been an intergral part of Irish society irrespective of what the anti pub brigade say, and the vast majority of pubs have bent over backwards to accomodate but continued to be demonised by a man who happens to hold a senior medical postion who clearly has a unhealthy hatred of pubs.

Holohan will not be remembered fondly in years to come that is for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Allinall

Just to rub it in they wouldnt even let us have christmas eve night in the pub:eek: my god ive never seen any industry so demonised as pubs have been in this country, the pub has always been an intergral part of Irish society irrespective of what the anti pub brigade say, and the vast majority of pubs have bent over backwards to accomodate but continued to be demonised by a man who happens to hold a senior medical postion who clearly has a unhealthy hatred of pubs.

Majority of pubs close about 6 or 7 on Christmas eve anyway.

It's only a few hours earlier.

Get over it.

I think there are a lot more likely to be spreads in pubs than restaurants....it doesn't make any sense to lump them all together... imo.

It is up to NPHET to make their recommendations...they don't have to be concerned with the economics.

Allinall wrote: »

Get over it.

that will make all the difference wont it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Get over it.

Jaysus i dont know what pubs you have been to on Christmas eve. Any pub i was ever in on christmas eve stayed open till 11.30/12

I think there are a lot more likely to be spreads in pubs than restaurants....it doesn't make any sense to lump them all together... imo.

It is up to NPHET to make their recommendations...they don't have to be concerned with the economics.

you bet your life they dont as they just demonise pubs full stop without offering up any evidence at all.

you bet your life they dont as they just demonise pubs full stop without offering up any evidence at all.

Somehow it is easier to think that there is a worldwide conspiracy against pubs than to think that they are contributing to the spread of covid

Jaysus i dont know what pubs you have been to on Christmas eve. Any pub i was ever in on christmas eve stayed open till 11.30/12

same, ive never been in any pub on christmas eve that closes that early, back in the good old says we used to get a lock in until around 4am, what a session that used to be everyone in great form, the best part of the whole christmas period.

Somehow it is easier to think that there is a worldwide conspiracy against pubs than to think that they are contributing to the spread of covid

never said anything of the sort about a "worldwide conspiracy" but you dont see every country demonising the hospitality sector like they have here.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ireland-had-longest-lockdown-for-pubs-and-restaurants-in-europe-report-1.4414028

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

that will make all the difference wont it :rolleyes:

Yes.

https://mobile.twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1341347326003179520

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

That'll make all the difference alright robbing the pubs of those extra few hours on Christmas eve is scandalous.

The super scary that has no effect whatsoever on 96% of the population will definitely be stopped now.

hynesie08 wrote: »

yep thanks for offering up that hard evidence than shows that pubs are responsible for mass outbreaks on covid-19.

sending on twitter links from reporters on mainsteam media who pander to NPHET just doesnt cut it.

same, ive never been in any pub on christmas eve that closes that early, back in the good old says we used to get a lock in until around 4am, what a session that used to be everyone in great form, the best part of the whole christmas period.

Imagine that with social distancing though, not much craic so the likelyhood would be social distancing would be ignored.

Masks are proven to reduce spread, no masks are worn when folk are drinking.

Reasonable enough that pubs aren't open these days and most of the pubs masquerading as restaurants should be shut also unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Get over it.

One of the busiest nights of the year for a small local pub

yep thanks for offering up that hard evidence than shows that pubs are responsible for mass outbreaks on covid-19.

Pubs are closed so they clearly aren't responsible.
    If they were open they'd likely be a problem so best to keep them closed, really simple logic.

Not what you asked, not what I did....

You said yourself Xmas eve is one of the biggest nights of the year..... Why wouldn't they shut it down?

Augeo wrote: »
    Imagine that with social distancing though, not much craic so the likelyhood would be social distancing would be ignored.

Masks are proven to reduce spread, no masks are worn when folk are drinking.

Reasonable enough that pubs aren't open these days and most of the pubs masquerading as restaurants should be shut also unfortunately.

Again im asking you and others to provide evidence and not just offer up
    "opinions" and "what ifs"

This is the thing with the anti pub birgade, they are all opinions and what ifs but are unable to provide any sort of evidence, so i just cant take people like this seriously.

Not what you asked, not what I did....

You said yourself Xmas eve is one of the biggest nights of the year..... Why wouldn't they shut it down?

why should pubs close at all

https://www.thesun.ie/news/6291485/covid-outbreaks-restauarants-gastro-pubs-cafes-reopening/

Augeo wrote: »
    Pubs are closed so they clearly aren't responsible.
    If they were open they'd likely be a problem so best to keep them closed, really simple logic.

ok right .......:rolleyes:

https://www.thesun.ie/news/6291485/covid-outbreaks-restauarants-gastro-pubs-cafes-reopening/

• Advertisement

Do you know the difference between outbreaks and cases?

Also considering there are over 200 cases related to the afters of a funeral, that article is outdated.

And calling out twitter links but using the sun as your source?? Cmon man.....

It's like talking to a brick wall trying to reason with those on here who are clearly anti pub, numerous times ive asked for evidence to show that pubs are the cause of outbreaks to be produced and of course they cant because none exists,it's all opinions and what ifs, sorry lads that doesnt cut it.

But you can all sleep well tonight knowing that these dangerous covid hotspots that are pubs are to close again and more people will be out of work yet again.

Good afternoon :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Jaysus, Christmas Eve is the one night of the year i wouldn't want to be in the pub till that time.

Wasn't able to eat the dinner the following day on one occasion and that was once too many for me.

Alot of pubs do close around 6pm on Chrstmas Eve. They all do in Killarney for example. But alot stay open aswell of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Again im asking you and others to provide evidence and not just offer up
    "opinions" and "what ifs"

Was the situation with Jess Brennan not an example and evidence of what can/did happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Was the situation with Jess Brennan not an example and evidence of what can/did happen?

Who is Jess Brennan and what happened?

• Advertisement

Who is Jess Brennan and what happened?

I definitely got her name wrong! Jess something I think? The one who organized the event in the pub in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

It's like talking to a brick wall trying to reason with those on here who are clearly anti pub, numerous times ive asked for evidence to show that pubs are the cause of outbreaks to be produced and of course they cant because none exists,it's all opinions and what ifs, sorry lads that doesnt cut it.

This continual asking for "evidence to show that pubs are the cause of outbreaks" is puerile. We have seen periods when pubs are closed and Covid falls, we have seen periods when pubs are open and Covid increases. What more evidence do you need?

There is a no specific evidence against a given pub because when you get Covid nobody traces where you were with 5 days before, so in general this evidence does not exist unless there is some sort of super spreader event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I definitely got her name wrong! Jess something I think? The one who organized the event in the pub in Dublin

Oh yeah remember that during the summer wasn't it in the Berlin bar I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

But you can all sleep well tonight knowing that these dangerous covid hotspots that are pubs are to close again and more people will be out of work yet again.

Good afternoon :eek:

We exited lockdown less than 20 days ago. Two biggest changes were pub and restaurant reopening and retail reopening. Numbers have climbed expodentially since at a much higher rate than ever before.

This time we cannot say testing and tracing is having an effect. Pubs are much more likely to be the cause rather than any other source. Evidence is clear that gastro pubs that opened acted more like pubs than as pub restaurants. There is glaring evidence that many served drink without food.

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Do you know the difference between outbreaks and cases?

Also considering there are over 200 cases related to the afters of a funeral, that article is outdated.

And calling out twitter links but using the sun as your source?? Cmon man.....

How do you know they aren't related to the actual funeral?? Does the holy spirit protect you in church?? No, couldn't be that, has to be the afters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

D2 Berlin pub

Slava Ukrainii

D2 Berlin pub

Yeh that's the one!

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/foodanddrink/other/berlin-bar-event-promotor-jess-brennan-breaks-silence-on-controversial-event/ar-BB18dyH1?li=BBr5MK2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

We exited lockdown less than 20 days ago. Two biggest changes were pub and restaurant reopening and retail reopening. Numbers have climbed expodentially since at a much higher rate than ever before.

This time we cannot say testing and tracing is having an effect. Pubs are much more likely to be the cause rather than any other source. Evidence is clear that gastro pubs that opened acted more like pubs than as pub restaurants. There is glaring evidence that many served drink without food.

That's very circumstantial tbh, we can assume such but there's no evidence to prove it, you'd hope that there's be some seriously heavyweight evdience behind shutting a business down, a little more than that anyway.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The event with 30/40 people at it that was hugely blown out of proportion??

How do you know they aren't related to the actual funeral?? Does the holy spirit protect you in church?? No, couldn't be that, has to be the afters.

Realistically, what do you think is most likely?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement