Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

We exited lockdown less than 20 days ago. Two biggest changes were pub and restaurant reopening and retail reopening. Numbers have climbed expodentially since at a much higher rate than ever before.

This time we cannot say testing and tracing is having an effect. Pubs are much more likely to be the cause rather than any other source. Evidence is clear that gastro pubs that opened acted more like pubs than as pub restaurants. There is glaring evidence that many served drink without food.

unless of course the more potent strain is in ireland, which is very likely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

We exited lockdown less than 20 days ago. Two biggest changes were pub and restaurant reopening and retail reopening. Numbers have climbed expodentially since at a much higher rate than ever before.

This time we cannot say testing and tracing is having an effect. Pubs are much more likely to be the cause rather than any other source. Evidence is clear that gastro pubs that opened acted more like pubs than as pub restaurants. There is glaring evidence that many served drink without food.

Have you seen the likes of Penneys etc?? People all over each other. I haven't seen people that close in a gastropub without being warned/asked to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

The event with 30/40 people at it that was hugely blown out of proportion??

That's not what was asked though? It wasn't asked how many people etc, it was to show evidence.

That is evidence of a pub not following the procedures.

Realistically, what do you think is most likely?

There's a lot of hugs and hands shook at a funeral.

That's not what was asked though? It wasn't asked how many people etc, it was to show evidence.

That is evidence of a pub not following the procedures.

Berlin Bar isn't a pub. It has a theater license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

How do you know they aren't related to the actual funeral?? Does the holy spirit protect you in church?? No, couldn't be that, has to be the afters.

Social distancing is church is observed at all church services. Numbers are limited to either 25 or 50 in an area that can often seat 300+.

Empty seats between rows and groups seated separately. Nothing to do with divine protection. Pubs have shown a scant regard for the rules just haul it in as fast as possible.

As well looking at countries that have left pubs and restaurants open all struggled to control the virus. The UK and NI are great examples

Slava Ukrainii

bladespin wrote: »
    That's very circumstantial tbh, we can assume such but there's no evidence to prove it, you'd hope that there's be some seriously heavyweight evdience behind shutting a business down, a little more than that anyway.

I know some. Plenty were at it. It's always a few that **** it up for the rest.

Berlin Bar isn't a pub. It has a theater license.

Pedantic.

There's a lot of hugs and hands shook at a funeral.

Absolutely, entirely possible. But again you didn't answer my question. What do you think is realistically more likely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

6 wrote: »
    I know some. Plenty were at it. It's always a few that **** it up for the rest.

I agree but have seen just as many 'breeches' outside the local church and in the shops, hardly proves the pub/restaurant to be the hub centre of Covid that many think it is, during the same timeframe many other restrictions were relaxed as well, it's also known to be surging through several schools now.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Social distancing is church is observed at all church services. Numbers are limited to either 25 or 50 in an area that can often seat 300+.

Empty seats between rows and groups seated separately. Nothing to do with divine protection. Pubs have shown a scant regard for the rules just haul it in as fast as possible.

As well looking at countries that have left pubs and restaurants open all struggled to control the virus. The UK and NI are great examples

We are talking about a specific funeral that apparently had 2/300+ people at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Pedantic.

Not a bit, they've shown a disregard for their licence, many publicans would be much more careful, it's a huge difference IMO.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The absolute state of people here trying to defend pubs staying open, you are absolutely pathetic and that's coming from someone who worked in one for 10 years on and off.

Of course I feel bad for the staff but I have also felt bad for them throughout all of this, I felt bad for the ones who have to be near absolute morons over the last few weeks who can't follow simple instruction and sit at a table, wear a mask to the toilet.

It's people like John(weldoninhio above) who are to blame for this, people who just constantly want to go against the government guidelines on this, the ones who think they are clever by booking tables in multiple bars to have a long night out. Well this is what it has gotten you.

Have you seen the likes of Penneys etc?? People all over each other. I haven't seen people that close in a gastropub without being warned/asked to leave.

Yes there is always idiots it just there is more in pubs. In pennies you are wearing a mask all the time, transmission is less likely, you are touching cloth materials which are less likely to transfer the virus,( it survives less time) you will not be there for 4-6 hours which pubs allowed this time.

Slava Ukrainii

Absolutely, entirely possible. But again you didn't answer my question. What do you think is realistically more likely?

A virus doesn't care about likely. If Person A shakes hands with Person B (bereaved), and spreads the virus, then Person B shakes 100, 200 other peoples hands it'll spread like wildfire in an allegedly packed church.

• Advertisement

Not a bit, they've shown a disregard for their licence, many publicans would be much more careful, it's a huge difference IMO.

I'm 100% confident many pubs would be more careful.

I'm also 100% confident many pubs would not be careful.

We are talking about a specific funeral that apparently had 2/300+ people at it

The cousins I presume. I think they tried to have a gathering last weekend in cork that had to be broken up as well.

Slava Ukrainii

A virus doesn't care about likely. If Person A shakes hands with Person B (bereaved), and spreads the virus, then Person B shakes 100, 200 other peoples hands it'll spread like wildfire in an allegedly packed church.

I'm aware. So no need to waste your time explaining it. The fact you are choosing not to answer it would indicate to me that most likely you think it's actually the pub were it probably transmitted because, lets be honest, it sort of makes sense given alcohol being involved and the higher likelihood of interaction.

It will be impossible to ever know, but educated guesses are the best anybody can do in those situations. I'm sure the pub has CCTV? So I'm sure if they were all following procedure the pub will just release the CCTV and there will be no issues?

Pedantic.

Hardly pedantic, a theatre license is €500 a year. You could probably spin a profit out of that after 2/3 nights and not give a b*llix about losing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Few days notice again for the pubs. Lots of stock going to waste again. Poor publicans/restaurants.

• Advertisement

I'm aware. So no need to waste your time explaining it. The fact you are choosing not to answer it would indicate to me that most likely you think it's actually the pub were it probably transmitted because, lets be honest, it sort of makes sense given alcohol being involved and the higher likelihood of interaction.

It will be impossible to ever know, but educated guesses are the best anybody can do in those situations. I'm sure the pub has CCTV? So I'm sure if they were all following procedure the pub will just release the CCTV and there will be no issues?

Will it be some special CCTV that'll show who already has the virus? :rolleyes:

Will it be some special CCTV that'll show who already has the virus? :rolleyes:

Nope but this is about evidence of pubs following procedures so it's kind of irrelevant really isn't it?

The pub has a video recording system in place to prove they followed the guidelines as best they could. So surely releasing it will only benefit them? Unless of course, that wasn't the case at all. Then they probably shouldn't release it.

Few days notice again for the pubs. Lots of stock going to waste again. Poor publicans/restaurants.

Well if they had made an attempt to obey the rules they might not be closed so fast

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Tough times for pubs and restaurants, but I'm glad to see a more realistic tone from the industry bodies today. Pubs have been lead up the garden path with talks of reopening, and now another panicked (and obvious) shutdown well before the official date.

They're calling for increased financial support and talking about vaccines. I've seen ridiculous comments that the new restrictions might last 3 weeks. Of course it's not going to be 3 weeks, it could be 3 months.

Let's pay the pubs and restaurants to stay closed - none of this is their fault. Help restaurants to do delivery/outdoor dining if they want. All the efforts now have to go into getting the vaccines rolled out because we have no other way to control the virus from spreading without restricting the economy.

Nope but this is about evidence of pubs following procedures so it's kind of irrelevant really isn't it?

The pub has a video recording system in place to prove they followed the guidelines as best they could. So surely releasing it will only benefit them? Unless of course, that wasn't the case at all. Then they probably shouldn't release it.

No, we are literally talking about ONE specific case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The absolute state of people here trying to defend pubs staying open, you are absolutely pathetic and that's coming from someone who worked in one for 10 years on and off.

Of course I feel bad for the staff but I have also felt bad for them throughout all of this, I felt bad for the ones who have to be near absolute morons over the last few weeks who can't follow simple instruction and sit at a table, wear a mask to the toilet.

It's people like John(weldoninhio above) who are to blame for this, people who just constantly want to go against the government guidelines on this, the ones who think they are clever by booking tables in multiple bars to have a long night out. Well this is what it has gotten you.

People like you love to make speculative statements framed as facts. For people who claim to love science, you're not very scientific.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Well if they had made an attempt to obey the rules they might not be closed so fast

Ah cool, my local obeyed every rule, that's great news that they can remain open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Here we go again...

No, we are literally talking about ONE specific case.

Ah but now you're changing it. The question asked was provide evidence. And now it's oh but it's only ONE. Yes one, one that got caught.

You think every single pub are following procedures? Of course not, I know this because I've been in them. Are the majority of pubs following procedures? Probably

Ah but now you're changing it. The question asked was provide evidence. And now it's oh but it's only ONE. Yes one, one that got caught.

You think every single pub are following procedures? Of course not, I know this because I've been in them. Are the majority of pubs following procedures? Probably

You think more than one pub opened with a marquee to allow 2-300 people come from a funeral to them?? I'm changing nothing, I've been talking about the same case throughout. Hence the examples I gave of 300 people in church, the people hugging/shaking hands in the church/graveyard.

• Advertisement

You think more than one pub opened with a marquee to allow 2-300 people come from a funeral to them??.

No probably not, but at a high level they failed to follow procedures the volume of which they did it in is what got them caught.

You think this was the only pub that failed to follow the procedures?

No probably not, but at a high level they failed to follow procedures the volume of which they did it in is what got them caught.

You think this was the only pub that failed to follow the procedures?

Probably not, do you think everyone follows the speed laws? Should be ban driving if over 10 people are caught speeding??

Probably not, do you think everyone follows the speed laws? Should be ban driving if over 10 people are caught speeding??

You'd have to take that to the speeding covid thread mate. I'm just here to discuss pubs I don't want to drag the thread off topic.

You'd have to take that to the speeding covid thread mate. I'm just here to discuss pubs I don't want to drag the thread off topic.

We are discussing pubs, it's an analogy. Should the many be punished, because the few aren't following the rules?? Is that a society you would like to live in??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,933 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Can't see a huge amount of places opening Christmas eve . Today and tomorrow will be like the Last days of Rome in terms of getting that pint

Decisions are such a joke for not just the hospitality industry many others too

Ah cool, my local obeyed every rule, that's great news that they can remain open.

Well my local never got a chance to open it's a wet pub. This was the situation right across rural Ireland. The gastro pubs again got there chance to open. Again a substantial minority F@@ked it up for all the rest. That life, that's living with COVID it not fair it's just reality.

During the last opening in September I got out for a pint twice. Both times within regulations 3-4 pints in two hours. I used to go to the pub twice a week. Now I cannot go at all. Pre my local opening I got out 3-4 times during the summer to gastro pubs. The ones I went to followed the rules. But my children were in ones that definately did not.

Slava Ukrainii

We are discussing pubs, it's an analogy. Should the many be punished, because the few aren't following the rules?? Is that a society you would like to live in??

That grand but pubs in general refused to abide by the rules. The problem is if we let COVID put of conyrol we are looking at a shot load of people dying. More than get killed in car crashes in 10+ years in a few months.

You just have to look at the figures in the US, UK and our beloved friends in NI

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Can pubs and restaurants still do take away or is it and out and out close?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Plenty of pubs without social distancing. But even in Penneys you push in for the €1 Christmas knickers and then you go and pay. You were only close to someone else for a couple of minutes, people are staying pubs for 4-5 hours.
    YellowLead wrote: »
    Can pubs and restaurants still do take away or is it and out and out close?

They can still do takeaways.

• Advertisement

That grand but pubs in general refused to abide by the rules. The problem is if we let COVID put of conyrol we are looking at a shot load of people dying. More than get killed in car crashes in 10+ years in a few months.

You just have to look at the figures in the US, UK and our beloved friends in NI

If "pubs in general" refused to "abide by the rules", why weren't the Gardai shutting them down, as they got the legal power to do a few months ago?? The more they shut, the less they have to patrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

That grand but pubs in general refused to abide by the rules.

Well that's absolute bull.

Plenty of pubs without social distancing. But even in Penneys you push in for the €1 Christmas knickers and then you go and pay. You were only close to someone else for a couple of minutes, people are staying pubs for 4-5 hours.

If Penny's and 1 euro knickers were the main transmission issue we see the transmission figures in a certain subset.

If funerals in churches or church gatherings were the issue we see it in a different subset of the population.

Government and NPHET are able to look at these subsets and figure it out.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

If Penny's and 1 euro knickers were the main transmission issue we see the transmission figures in a certain subset.

If funerals in churches or church gatherings were the issue we see it in a different subset of the population.

Government and NPHET are able to look at these subsets and figure it out.

What Subset exactly are they looking at? And please elaborate on the others.

If "pubs in general" refused to "abide by the rules", why weren't the Gardai shutting them down, as they got the legal power to do a few months ago?? The more they shut, the less they have to patrol.

They weren't given the powers

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

hmmm wrote: »
    Tough times for pubs and restaurants, but I'm glad to see a more realistic tone from the industry bodies today. Pubs have been lead up the garden path with talks of reopening, and now another panicked (and obvious) shutdown well before the official date.

They're calling for increased financial support and talking about vaccines. I've seen ridiculous comments that the new restrictions might last 3 weeks. Of course it's not going to be 3 weeks, it could be 3 months.

Let's pay the pubs and restaurants to stay closed - none of this is their fault. Help restaurants to do delivery/outdoor dining if they want. All the efforts now have to go into getting the vaccines rolled out because we have no other way to control the virus from spreading without restricting the economy.

Are most medium sized pubs not doing ok been closed. Pub i know the husband and the wife are both getting 350 every week and have got a number of different grants as well, he tells me hes better off with the pub closed. Its in a rural town??

• Advertisement

Have you a girlfriend?? They do not go into Penneys for a couple of minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

That's very circumstantial tbh, we can assume such but there's no evidence to prove it, you'd hope that there's be some seriously heavyweight evdience behind shutting a business down, a little more than that anyway.

Across the world there is plenty of evidence of transmission in pubs and restaurants.. But public health is concerned with aggregates, if an action reduces disease then you do that action, you do not futter around looking for "evidence" while people are dying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Absolutely horrible treatment of the hospitality sector. Ridiculous move and scapegoating yet again.

Poorside wrote: »
    What Subset exactly are they looking at? And please elaborate on the others.

Penny and 1 euro knickers would be those that change there knickers regularly or maybe see a knickers as a disposable product..... That a joke.

However if transmission was mainly from clothes retailing and particularly from shops such as Penny's the Main early trsnsmission vehicle would have been females in the sub 40 age group.

Funeral would have seen outbreaks started on family sub groups mainly cousins , uncles aunts etc

Church gatherings would have seen a expodentially rise in an older sub group.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Allinall wrote: »
    Majority of pubs close about 6 or 7 on Christmas eve anyway.

It's only a few hours earlier.

Get over it.

I've been limiting my contacts over the last couple of weeks so I could safely meet someone for dinner Christmas Eve at 6. That's my Christmas screwed.
    I'm not getting over it.
    hynesie08 wrote: »
    Somehow it is easier to think that there is a worldwide conspiracy against pubs than to think that they are contributing to the spread of covid

Dub81 wrote: »
    Again im asking you and others to provide evidence and not just offer up
    "opinions" and "what ifs"

This is the thing with the anti pub birgade, they are all opinions and what ifs but are unable to provide any sort of evidence, so i just cant take people like this seriously.

I am so sick to death of all the lies at this point that I took 5 minutes to scrawl on this in response to a shocking bit of misleading data manipulation in the main thread. Obviously the hospitality bit doesn't include non-food pubs but since people seem to be lumping them all in together at this stage:

corvirus1.png

(Source, which in turn is sourced from HSE data. Green and red annotations mine)

It's definitely all hospitality and nothing to do with schools. And everything was definitely going up until level 5 saved us all.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement