Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

MadYaker wrote: »
    It only takes a handful of packed pubs to add a few hundred cases to the tally as we saw with the Wexford mess. The type of person who’s happy to wedge themselves into a packed pub is not the type of person who is going to self isolate for the benefit of others so it leads to community spread. Most pubs may have been compliant but many have also been sanctioned. If a pub owner orders in thousands of euro worth of stock when they know full well they could be told to close with a days notice that’s their own fault. Anyone with half a brain knew a lockdown was coming.

I seem to remember reading many posts from yourself boasting about ignoring restrictions and it’s people like that that are causing the pubs to close.

I was asking a direct question to the other poster.

But on your other point, how could a pub possibly run with no stock? Do you think Diageo will do daily deliveries? Food suppliers will do daily deliveries, including Christmas Eve/Day?? Stock would have to have been ordered in advance. A child could understand that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I was asking a direct question to the other poster.

But on your other point, how could a pub possibly run with no stock? Do you think Diageo will do daily deliveries? Food suppliers will do daily deliveries, including Christmas Eve/Day?? Stock would have to have been ordered in advance. A child could understand that.

Where did I say they shouldn't order any stock? I didn't. I said they shouldn't order loads because of the likelyhood of them being shut down at a days notice which has now happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Oops!

Where did I say they shouldn't order any stock? I didn't. I said they shouldn't order loads because of the likelyhood of them being shut down at a days notice which has now happened.

So going by your logic they should just do a daily shop in the morning ya?:rolleyes:

You don't have a clue what your talking about...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

"Heya diageo, its the long hall here, can I just have 1 keg of guinness, yeah 1, I'll order another one tomorrow if we're still open......... Hello? Hello?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

hynesie08 wrote: »
    "Heya diageo, its the long hall here, can I just have 1 keg of guinness, yeah 1, I'll order another one tomorrow if we're still open......... Hello? Hello?"

Good one :D Just pictured that phonecall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I've been very fond of the drink since about the age of 16. Now late 30s and probably drank 3 out of 4 weekends every month for those 20 + years. A good sup too. Once a week, usually a Saturday 5pm to closing time tying in with a rugby or gaa match. So, 8 or 9 hours once a week. Its one part of my life, along with 50 hours of work and commuting, 60 hours of sleep, 4 or 5 hours of exercise and 20 or so relaxing at home with family. No drinking problem or anything but the hangovers can sometimes have a bad effect on me next day. Haven't had one in best part of a year now.

But this year, all my friends moaning from one end of the week to the next about pubs being closed whereas I am completely indifferent. They started drinking at home a good few times a week now whereas they would have just had one night out like myself. I miss sport more than the Guinness to be honest.

My mother asks me every week if I miss the pub, which I don't. Surprising myself too to be honest that I don't. I haven't even gone (well I did, just twice) when they were open with restrictions because I don't have any interest in signing into a pub, ordering at table, watching a clock countdown from 105 mins.

Think the habit is broken now, anyone else going against the grain and found some positives from the pubs closed, on a personal basis.

Just want to say I do feel for pub owners and employees that are struggling, along with any sectors hard hit. I'm in the fortunate position my job was not affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You’ve no idea what your talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭vafankillar

looking forward to having a few take pints in the new years, been working my ass off for december including tomorrow morning at 9, but have a bit of time off in january, with retail open and more toilets around should be more enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,935 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

looking forward to having a few take pints in the new years, been working my ass off for december including tomorrow morning at 9, but have a bit of time off in january, with retail open and more toilets around should be more enjoyable.

Only lagers available in one of the places that are open for takeaway is Harp

My god it would tear the stomach out of ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭vafankillar

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Only lagers available in one of the places that are open for takeaway is Harp

My god it would tear the stomach out of ya

never been that limited myself. i'm not too fair from dublin city, so handy enough. will be a good few places open there for take away pints come january I reckon especially since government bottled banning them last time. it's far from ideal but I dont mind the cold myself, in fact being a smoker sure I often up outside anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    I've been very fond of the drink since about the age of 16. Now late 30s and probably drank 3 out of 4 weekends every month for those 20 + years. A good sup too. Once a week, usually a Saturday 5pm to closing time tying in with a rugby or gaa match. So, 8 or 9 hours once a week. Its one part of my life, along with 50 hours of work and commuting, 60 hours of sleep, 4 or 5 hours of exercise and 20 or so relaxing at home with family. No drinking problem or anything but the hangovers can sometimes have a bad effect on me next day. Haven't had one in best part of a year now.

But this year, all my friends moaning from one end of the week to the next about pubs being closed whereas I am completely indifferent. They started drinking at home a good few times a week now whereas they would have just had one night out like myself. I miss sport more than the Guinness to be honest.

My mother asks me every week if I miss the pub, which I don't. Surprising myself too to be honest that I don't. I haven't even gone (well I did, just twice) when they were open with restrictions because I don't have any interest in signing into a pub, ordering at table, watching a clock countdown from 105 mins.

Think the habit is broken now, anyone else going against the grain and found some positives from the pubs closed, on a personal basis.

Just want to say I do feel for pub owners and employees that are struggling, along with any sectors hard hit. I'm in the fortunate position my job was not affected.

Im exactly the same I dont touch a drop of alcohol at home so only drink in a pub/nightclub environment, I wouldnt really be that comfortable drinking at a barbecue or at someones house at a dinner party or anything like that either. I would probably have 7up or club orange quicker than a drink in a house like that. just dont see the point of it. Would anyone else be like that?

So havent drank since around 28th Septemeber and before that I went from March 7th to August 1st without a drop of drink. I was a saturday and once a month or 6 weeks a sunday night man every week for almost 19 years, would be maybe 2-3 weekends a year I would miss the saturday night pints , prob 9pm-2am drinking. I think that habit is broke now and prob leave it to every second weekend when things fo back to normal. By that rational i will have almost cut by drink consumption in half from normal times. I think every second weekend is easy to get in on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Buddy Bubs wrote: »

Just the twice!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭E mac

This St.Stephens night will be the first I'll be sitting at home for since 1996..I was 15 then.

I'd say some people are in a state of shock today sitting at home today

I’d say a lot of them are out fighting over tellys and consoles down the shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/mass-vaccination-and-tentative-return-to-normal-by-next-may-or-june-taoiseach-hopes-39900475.html

You can forget proper pubs opening on St Paddys day or even the june Bank holiday judging by this article.

votecounts wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/mass-vaccination-and-tentative-return-to-normal-by-next-may-or-june-taoiseach-hopes-39900475.html

You can forget proper pubs opening on St Paddys day or even the june Bank holiday judging by this article.

Not ok with the timeline but I'd take it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Aye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Not ok with the timeline but I'd take it

I’d say it’s optimistic. The important thing would be to rollout the vaccine in time to have a real effect on next winter. Otherwise we’ll be back in a similar situation this time next year.

The UK has rolled out hundreds of thousands of vaccines (first of two shots) already. I heard the Irish government is planning to administer 10,000 per week. That’s nowhere near enough - about 1m people after two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭PommieBast

votecounts wrote: »

I don't think pubs will be allowed to properly reopen until a large portion of under-50s have been vaccinated, and signs are that they won't even get started on that cohort until pretty close to May/June. My guess is pubs (the ones that survive that is) reopening Q4 of 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I’d say it’s optimistic. The important part hung would be to rollout the vaccine in time to have a Tesla effect on next winter. Otherwise we’ll be back in a similar situation this time next year.

The UK has rolled out hundreds of thousands of vaccines (first of two shots) already. I heard the Irish government is planning to administer 10,000 per week. That’s nowhere near enough - about 1m people after two years.

More rubbish. We expect to be getting 10k doses per day by end of first week in January. As other vaccines become available we will double and treble numbers by late January. The UK because it was first off the mark, it had to as it is suffering the most from it mismanagement of the pandemic is getting probably more doses at the start as they are manufactured. As the EU and US regulators have given the on to the vaccine the numbers the UK have access to will decline while we and the rest of the EU ramp up numbers.
    Its logistics exercise now

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

PommieBast wrote: »
    I don't think pubs will be allowed to properly reopen until a large portion of under-50s have been vaccinated, and signs are that they won't even get started on that cohort until pretty close to May/June. My guess is pubs (the ones that survive that is) reopening Q4 of 2021.

When they have the over 70 vaccinated you wl see the economy reopening. As well summer weather reduces it's transmission with outdoor dining and boozing possible. Probably no concerts and limited match attendances but from May on we will see a much more open economy.

Slava Ukrainii

More rubbish. We expect to be getting 10k doses per day by end of first week in January. As other vaccines become available we will double and treble numbers by late January. The UK because it was first off the mark, it had to as it is suffering the most from it mismanagement of the pandemic is getting probably more doses at the start as they are manufactured. As the EU and US regulators have given the on to the vaccine the numbers the UK have access to will decline while we and the rest of the EU ramp up numbers.
    Its logistics exercise now

What are your numbers based on?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Its been widely published that we expect 40k doses of the Pfizer vaccine every week from next week on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

30k a week from Pfizer, moderna expected to be approved 1st January with similar numbers, plus a 3rd vaccine expected to be approved before the end of January, might be valentines day but numbers not that far off.....

Stheno wrote: »
    Its been widely published that we expect 30k doses of the Pfizer vaccine every week from next week on

That’s good news.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

That’s good news.

That was a typo its actually 40k

That was a typo its actually 40k

That’s a third better news.

That’s a third better news.

We could potentially be getting double that per week from the end of Jan if Moderna and Oxford are approved

We could potentially be getting double that per week from the end of Jan if Moderna and Oxford are approved

“Getting” meaning buying or “getting” meaning administering them to people? I looked at the government strategy and it didn’t have any timescales or expected vaccinations per week.

• Advertisement

“Getting” meaning buying or “getting” meaning administering them to people? I looked at the government strategy and it didn’t have any timescales or expected vaccinations per week.

Getting as in coming into the country

The nursing homes are expected to be done b mid to late Feb along with hospital staff

I don't think they've published anything more as until they know what amounts we get and when they can't really

Will gastropubs/restaurants be permitted to open early 2021 with more of this €9 and time limit stuff

Will gastropubs/restaurants be permitted to open early 2021 with more of this €9 and time limit stuff

I suspect not till after Paddy's day

Getting as in coming into the country

The nursing homes are expected to be done b mid to late Feb along with hospital staff

I don't think they've published anything more as until they know what amounts we get and when they can't really

Yeah fair enough.

There is an advantage to institutions like nursing homes where they have a captive audience. They can vaccinate the complete population in one session. It will be more difficult when it comes to the general population where we’ll rely on people to show up at the appointment and to show up a second time for the second dose.

I’d say next summer will take care of itself like this summer did. I’d say they’re realistically trying to avoid the issues for next winter.

A success would be to have next Christmas with distancing and masks, high numbers of transmissions but low numbers of deaths and not have to lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I'd nearly take that at this stage, and I suspect so too would the publicans,restaurateurs and their employees ( if it was offered to them as a certain date of opening rather than jumping from lockdown to lockdown)

Yeah sadly

All the vintners associations won't put up a fight and challenge it either. Only a few social media posts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Are off licences open today?

YFlyer wrote: »
    Are off licences open today?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Yes

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

With new variants appearing and the very real possibility of a vaccine proof variant emerging, if the current vaccine programme doesn't knock it out quickly world wide 2021 could get worse not better.

saabsaab wrote: »
    With new variants appearing and the very real possibility of a vaccine proof variant emerging, if the current vaccine programme doesn't knock it out quickly world wide 2021 could get worse not better.

That’s a possibility. Could certainly be in a similar position this time next year and it might not actually be anyone’s fault.

Could all go to plan and the vaccine could work out great too. But I’d say success re pubs this time next year would be pubs open, distancing, masks, table service and don’t have to lock down.

I was wondering where all the people who revelled in “there might never be a vaccine” were gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I'd nearly take that at this stage, and I suspect so too would the publicans,restaurateurs and their employees ( if it was offered to them as a certain date of opening rather than jumping from lockdown to lockdown)

They've had certain dates of opening given to them on multiple occasions at this stage.

There was also a guarantee from Leo that they wouldn't be treated differently and they'd open unless there was a general lockdown keeping everything else closed.

Why should they consider any other pronouncements as reliable at this stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

That’s a possibility. Could certainly be in a similar position this time next year and it might not actually be anyone’s fault.

Could all go to plan and the vaccine could work out great too. But I’d say success re pubs this time next year would be pubs open, distancing, masks, table service and don’t have to lock down.
    If we still have distancing and masks this time next year, the vaccine rollout will not be considered a success

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I was wondering where all the people who revelled in “there might never be a vaccine” were gone.
    I wasn't one of them to be fair. Just raising a (bleak) possibility. Hope the vaccine is rolled out hard and fast to knock this thing out before it can adapt.

• Advertisement

Why? It wasn’t known if there ever would be an effective vaccine. It was a potential outcome. Is the current vaccine a once-and-done job? Or is it likely to need top-ups?

I wasn't one of them to be fair. Just raising a (bleak) possibility. Hope the vaccine is rolled out hard and fast to knock this thing out before it can adapt.

Sorry not aimed at you in particular. Just hope it’s not the new default line for them. We had enough of the “never be one” stuff.

If we still have distancing and masks this time next year, the vaccine rollout will not be considered a success

Why? I think the vaccination could be rolled out very successfully and we could still need distancing and masks. Young people probably won’t be vaccinated by this time next year. If that’s the case then the protocol will be to distance and wear masks.

How do you think it will work?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

What's the penalty if you are a customer of a pub if raided/shut down by the Gardaí?

Does the publican bear all the risk or is it an offence to be on site drinking pints?

Can see the takeaway options been given the chop by the government. I'm surprised off licences haven't been targeted for closure

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement