Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Can see the takeaway options been given the chop by the government. I'm surprised off licences haven't been targeted for closure

They've been open throughout, from the highest peak to the lowest trough. Why would they be closed now?

GazzaL wrote: »
    They've been open throughout, from the highest peak to the lowest trough. Why would they be closed now?

Because it would help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

GazzaL wrote: »

Anything is possible with these lads in charge

Takeaway service has caused a few illegall gatherings but same can said for house parties (which are still happening)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

In relation to the take away option, pre covid, I always drinking in public was illegal and the Gardai would be quick the alcohol and pour it down the drain.
    Couldn't see it working in the town I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

votecounts wrote: »
    In relation to the take away option, pre covid, I always drinking in public was illegal and the Gardai would be quick the alcohol and pour it down the drain.
    Couldn't see it working in the town I live.

Depends on your local bye laws. There's no national law for drinking in the street

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Why? I think the vaccination could be rolled out very successfully and we could still need distancing and masks. Young people probably won’t be vaccinated by this time next year. If that’s the case then the protocol will be to distance and wear masks.

How do you think it will work?

Young people don't have the hospitalisation rate of older people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

God im getting a definite feeling that people are very gleeful that pubs that dont serve food wont open til june

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭PommieBast

When they have the over 70 vaccinated you wl see the economy reopening. As well summer weather reduces it's transmission with outdoor dining and boozing possible. Probably no concerts and limited match attendances but from May on we will see a much more open economy.
    I think we will see a repeat of last spring/summer and see serious dragging of the heels when it comes to reopening especially with pubs. I also hope I am wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

What's the penalty if you are a customer of a pub if raided/shut down by the Gardaí?

Does the publican bear all the risk or is it an offence to be on site drinking pints?
    The publican cops the penalty. Cops have no interest in the patrons outside of sending everyone out the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Young people don't have the hospitalisation rate of older people

I understand that. What I’m asking is how do you think it will work? Do you think we’ll do away with distancing and masks?

I think that while covid is still doing the rounds, distancing and masks will still be needed. The advantage is that businesses can still stay open and do business.

• Advertisement

Dickie10 wrote: »
    God im getting a definite feeling that people are very gleeful that pubs that dont serve food wont open til june

Where are you getting June from?

Micheal Martin and Leo, some of the medics say Autumn but sure they wouldnt mind if they never opened. I presume its April for restaurants and hotels maybe mid june for other pubs that serve only drink. surely wont be much later will it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Micheal Martin and Leo, some of the medics say Autumn but sure they wouldnt mind if they never opened. I presume its April for restaurants and hotels maybe mid june for other pubs that serve only drink. surely wont be much later will it?

March 2022 at the earliest.

March 2022 at the earliest.

oh I see, oh well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Cant see pubs opening in 2021 to be honest. Simply by the way they have been treated by the government and NPHET thus far, it seems they will leave it as long as humanly possible to open them.
    For a variety of reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Cant see pubs opening in 2021 to be honest. Simply by the way they have been treated by the government and NPHET thus far, it seems they will leave it as long as humanly possible to open them.

Name a few?

All those vintners associations should kick up murder if we see a repeat of last summer and Pubs open all over Europe with ours still shut

The openings in September were grand for 90% of places and actually enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Name a few?

1. Government seem to think the pubs are the big bad wolf of Coronavirus.

2. Tony/NPHET have an anti pub outlook.

3. Gastropub/European model is what the government are chasing.

3. Gastropub/European model is what the givernment are chasing.

So nothing with any basis in reality.

• Advertisement

3. Gastropub/European model is what the government are chasing.

All well in good but no way do you have to buy food to have a drink anywhere in Europe pre covid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Where are you getting June from?
    I presume its April for restaurants and hotels maybe mid june for other pubs that serve only drink.

pull (something) out of (one's) ass
    vulgar slang To completely fabricate or invent something; to draw something from little or no real evidence, facts, information, etc.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    So nothing with any basis in reality.

But this explains why the pubs have been lobbying so ineffectively. The customer base is all over the shop. Why would government even bother trying to pander to conspire theorists?

Looking at the general standard of argument in these threads, I can see why government ignore them and listens to the experts instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,136 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

pull (something) out of (one's) ass
    vulgar slang To completely fabricate or invent something; to draw something from little or no real evidence, facts, information, etc.

I see one is no longer allowed to think for oneself. Every time someone make a calculated assumption they are making it up.

We are supposed to receive 50k vaccine doses by end of year and 50-70k/week after that. The Morderna and the Oxford vaccine are coming in stream as well. By mid January we can assume we will be hitting 100k doses a week(I think the EU has contracted for a higher number of Moderna compared to Phizer ). Then the Oxford one will be licenced by End of January and it will be again adding onto supply. There is an expectation that 1-2 more will be licenced I. February.

Its a good assumptions that there will be 500k vaccinated by mid April and may be more. By May we should be vaccinating 100-200k/ week provided logistics allow it. If it is towards the higher number then reopening of some sort will be happening at that stage.

I think at this stage government has gone to under promising as there is no political capital in making promises you may not deliver. It is disingenuous to suggest government do not want pubs, clubs, hotels and restaurants open. Every person going back to work is saving them 300/ week, every pub and business reopening is paying vat and employing people.

Finally if the at risk population , health staff and other at risk frontline staff is vaccinated by late spring reopening is less risky. There is lower spread during summer. We may have to wear masks and socially distance but most of the economy will be open in some form or other. As well colleges start to downscale in April and secondary schools will be closing in June which lowers risk factor.

Slava Ukrainii

I see one is no longer allowed to think for oneself. Every time someone make a calculated assumption they are making it up.

He stated it as fact
    pubs that dont serve food wont open til june

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,136 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

He stated it as fact

I did not know that I presume was stating something as a fact. I have made presumptions as well. They may be right or wrong. The virus may mutate which may require vaccine providers to adapt there vaccine. This will not take as long as original vaccine production but would slow vacination programs by 3-6 months. But assuming that we will reopen most areas of the economy abeit with limitations by June is a fairly accurate assessment of the way things are going at present

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Never again do I want to hear that the LVA or the publicans hold all the cards, clearly their influence has been moved to the bottom of the totem pole.

I can see no good reason why the food pubs / restaurants were ever treated differently to the drink only pubs.

I think the time is ripe for a new political party centred on the interests of the vital SME sector in Ireland to ensure business owners and the self employed aren't routinely shafted by closures, taxation and regulation like they are now.

Its sick that theres such a disdain for one of Irelands greatest institutions in government and even among some people on this site. The warmth, friendliness and craic of the traditional Irish non-food pub has been and always should be one of the nations proudest attributes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

The amount of ****e talk on here is overwhelming at times. The pubs are closed because it's an obviously high risk environment for transmission of the virus. We had our record amount of cases yesterday and will probably break that record in the coming days.

Is it all down to the pubs? No, but behaviours change when the pubs etc are allowed to open, I know mine does. Is it **** for publicans, absolutely but at the end of the day we all know we have to put up with this until we put this bollocks behind us. They absolutely deserve more real supports than most businesses as they've been disrupted more than any other type of business.

But the point of whingeing about it on a daily basis is lost on me. And I say all this as a habitual drinker who I'm fairly sure spends more of their time / money down the local than a lot of the posters here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Never again do I want to hear that the LVA or the publicans hold all the cards, clearly their influence has been moved to the bottom of the totem pole.

I can see no good reason why the food pubs / restaurants were ever treated differently to the drink only pubs.

I think the time is ripe for a new political party centred on the interests of the vital SME sector in Ireland to ensure business owners and the self employed aren't routinely shafted by closures, taxation and regulation like they are now.

Its sick that theres such a disdain for one of Irelands greatest institutions in government and even among some people on this site. The warmth, friendliness and craic of the traditional Irish non-food pub has been and always should be one of the nations proudest attributes

One of irelands greatest institutions... Will you come off it. A group of sleeveens and cute hoors who were always happy to push the boundaries in terms of licensing laws and rip us off at every turn. They couldn't give a ****e about the impact that drink had on lots of their customers but were quite happy to take all their money for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Many publicans are happy to be closed from a financial point of view and that’s why there isn’t more about it .
    If you are a small or medium sized pub in rural Ireland and both you and your spouse are getting 350 each ie 700 plus different grants you are better off than been open .

One of irelands greatest institutions... Will you come off it. A group of sleeveens and cute hoors who were always happy to push the boundaries in terms of licensing laws and rip us off at every turn. They couldn't give a ****e about the impact that drink had on lots of their customers but were quite happy to take all their money for it

Sleeveens and cute hoors or not, isn’t the point. It’s not their job to care about the damage alcohol does to their customers or if their customers behaviour helps spread covid - that’s not what capitalism is. It’s government’s job to make those decisions on the public’s behalf.

Publicans not caring about the effects of covid and government deciding to shut pubs (and offer financial support) is a case of everyone doing their job.

• Advertisement

The way things are going I think it might make more sense to continue to prevent pubs from opening and also add gastro-pubs to the list. The 9 euro meal was clearly a problem from the outset and - as we've seen from posters on here - it hasn't been adhered to all that closely in places.

From a "letting people get back to work" point of view, I'd rather see cafes, coffee shops and restaurants open up from say the end of Jan once the numbers come down a bit. Keep pubs and gastro-pubs closed but have the Govt commit to properly supporting them during the closure. It's not ideal but, it would allow 2000 or so businesses to re-open under the indoor dining, 105 minute guidelines.

I've been in a few places over the last few weeks that are mainly local restaurants where people go for brunch, lunch, dinner on a Saturday or Sunday - there might be a couple of glasses / bottles of wine consumed at each table but it's mainly about getting out for a bit of food and a bit of a chat with family members, sons and daughters meeting up with their parents to see the grandkids etc.

Plus, for me anyway, it was nice to get out at lunch time and pop in somewhere for a sandwich and some soup or whatever - anything to break the WFH Monday to Friday monotony.

Take alcohol out of the equation and it might become a bit easier to get - somewhat - back to normality for the rest of the hospitality industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭PommieBast

From a "letting people get back to work" point of view, I'd rather see cafes, coffee shops and restaurants open up from say the end of Jan once the numbers come down a bit. Keep pubs and gastro-pubs closed but have the Govt commit to properly supporting them during the closure. It's not ideal but, it would allow 2000 or so businesses to re-open under the indoor dining, 105 minute guidelines.
    A big problem is that the government is unable and/or unwilling to do this. Quite honesty at this stage the best that can be hoped for is relaxation of the bankruptcy laws so that those who have had their businesses destroyed don't lose everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The way things are going I think it might make more sense to continue to prevent pubs from opening and also add gastro-pubs to the list. The 9 euro meal was clearly a problem from the outset and - as we've seen from posters on here - it hasn't been adhered to all that closely in places.

I've been in a few places over the last few weeks that are mainly local restaurants where people go for brunch, lunch, dinner on a Saturday or Sunday - there might be a couple of glasses / bottles of wine consumed at each table but it's mainly about getting out for a bit of food and a bit of a chat with family members, sons and daughters meeting up with their parents to see the grandkids etc.

Plus, for me anyway, it was nice to get out at lunch time and pop in somewhere for a sandwich and some soup or whatever - anything to break the WFH Monday to Friday monotony.

Take alcohol out of the equation and it might become a bit easier to get - somewhat - back to normality for the rest of the hospitality industry.

TL:DR I prefer traditional cafes/restaurants so I think they should open ahead of pubs/gastropubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭Neowise

LuasSimon wrote: »
    A pub owner i know tells me between himself and his wife getting the 350 each plus grants hes got hes better off than when the pub was open.
    It is a medium size bar in a rural town.
    Are most medium sized pubs not doing ok been closed. Pub i know the husband and the wife are both getting 350 every week and have got a number of different grants as well, he tells me hes better off with the pub closed. Its in a rural town??
    Many publicans are happy to be closed from a financial point of view and that’s why there isn’t more about it .
    If you are a small or medium sized pub in rural Ireland and both you and your spouse are getting 350 each ie 700 plus different grants you are better off than been open .

Read this 5 days ago, then two days ago, I said,why is they repeating themself. Now here it is again. Why are you posting the same thing over and over again?

Neowise wrote: »
    Read this 5 days ago, then two days ago, I said,why is they repeating themself. Now here it is again. Why are you posting the same thing over and over again?

The problem with amateur spoofers is they can't keep up with their lies, so they tend to repeat themselves.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

You are completely adhering to Dr Tonys, NPHET and the governments projection of where they and I mean they the establishment want the hospitality and tourism business to change their models towards and if that happens so be it but conventional Irish tourism will be destroyed. We are Irish, we have a legacy and tradition of traditional pubs where you can go for a drink, a number of drinks or a clatter of drinks if you want. Thats what these people want to destroy and we have to push back and stop this change. If we allow this to happen we will lose the traditional rural pub where you can go with €25 in your pocket, get 2 drinks for yourself and your better half and then mosey off home after a chat with your friends. Fair enough if you want to go to these massive gastro pubs and buy food and then some drinks but you must have the budget for this and not everyone and certainly not everyone in rural Ireland has that. Every time I seem to go to a gastropub or a hotel over the last few years for lunch or food in the evening I seem to end up with a bill for €80/€100 for the 2 of us. I`m pretty sure that whenever I have been on the continent over the last 10 years you don`t have to buy food every time you stop at a pub. Time to stop this rush to do away with our pub culture and stand up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Indoor dining is just too risky with this particular virus though.

Ideally restaurants and cafes receive further financial protection until June and only open outdoors and take away until then.

but surely you can just go to a pub that serves food eit down and drink as you would have before if you wanted.

but surely you can just go to a pub that serves food eit down and drink as you would have before if you wanted.

Once you consume your meal you can stay and drink to your hearts content if your table is 2m away

Me thinks that's the end of that and no way will food pubs be permitted to open in Level 3

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Once you consume your meal you can stay and drink to your hearts content if your table is 2m away

Unless they want the table to sell another 9 euro meal every 105 minutes. They may have been closed a lot but they’re still publicans.

• Advertisement

Drifter50 wrote: »
    You are completely adhering to Dr Tonys, NPHET and the governments projection of where they and I mean they the establishment want the hospitality and tourism business to change their models towards and if that happens so be it but conventional Irish tourism will be destroyed. We are Irish, we have a legacy and tradition of traditional pubs where you can go for a drink, a number of drinks or a clatter of drinks if you want. Thats what these people want to destroy and we have to push back and stop this change. If we allow this to happen we will lose the traditional rural pub where you can go with €25 in your pocket, get 2 drinks for yourself and your better half and then mosey off home after a chat with your friends. Fair enough if you want to go to these massive gastro pubs and buy food and then some drinks but you must have the budget for this and not everyone and certainly not everyone in rural Ireland has that. Every time I seem to go to a gastropub or a hotel over the last few years for lunch or food in the evening I seem to end up with a bill for €80/€100 for the 2 of us. I`m pretty sure that whenever I have been on the continent over the last 10 years you don`t have to buy food every time you stop at a pub. Time to stop this rush to do away with our pub culture and stand up

I think that it would be better, in the short term, to allow non-alcohol reliant businesses to open up. That's hardly controversial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Indoor dining is just too risky with this particular virus though.

Ideally restaurants and cafes receive further financial protection until June and only open outdoors and take away until then.

They are targeting June for mass gatherings surely pubs are in around March/April

TL:DR I prefer traditional cafes/restaurants so I think they should open ahead of pubs/gastropubs

That's not even remotely close to what I was getting at.

Dead right. It’s definitely a conspiracy. I can’t figure out what exactly the conspiracy hopes to achieve or why or who is behind it but one thing I’m sure of, they’re out to get YOU (and your Mrs.)

Lads, it’s not a conspiracy. There’s a pandemic on and lots of people are being inconvenienced, not just you. I can assure you that you not being a lap to go for a pint is not the the worst part of the pandemic.

That's not even remotely close to what I was getting at.

I know that. But nuance or reality aren’t
    Well received in this thread. The usual suspects like to see any opposition to pubs reopening right now as being either:
    anti drink,
    anti pub,
    anti craic or,
    pro 5G,
    pro European cafe culture

Somehow, this has turned into a conspiracy theorist thread.

Every time I seem to go to a gastropub or a hotel over the last few years for lunch or food in the evening I seem to end up with a bill for €80/€100 for the 2 of us.
    :eek:

Where are you going, Roly's Bistro?

mightyreds wrote: »
    They are targeting June for mass gatherings surely pubs are in around March/April

Where did you hear that for mass gatherings ?

Kind of convenient esp with the 4 Euro 20/21 games in Dublin which will bring in a lot of money not to mention concerts/GAA/Rugby matches etc

Let's hope anyway they happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You don't need to buy food in a Gastro pub in 'normal' times...
    I really don't think the arms of the state are in cohoots with private enterprise or indeed have the capability to do this.
    There are plenty smaller pubs that sell food rurally and the reality for a lot of pubs I'd they need to be doing this in the modern world anyway to turn a buck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

The biggest lie being propagated by the idiot brigade. Why oh why would the 'establishment' want to kill off one of the main selling point so our tourist industry, the Irish Pub?? Ill humour you for a sec so lets go back to pre covid? Please point me towards any evidence of this dastardly plan? Anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

bladespin wrote: »
    Quite a lot seem to enjoy seeing restrictions, shutdowns etc, weird, Leo's curtain twitchers, you'd wonder what kind of life they had before covid.

Irony is if you look at his posting history he was fond of the hookers, going on many "golf" trips for orgies and the like.

Then coming home to his wife with god knows what on his knob.

But shhhhhhh .... it's not covid, a disease slightly more dangerous than the flu to vast majority.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement