Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Has any health expert come out and explain the food thing

Its doesn't stop people getting drunk

The food thing is purely to qualify as being a restaurant as restaurants where allowed to open.

It's nothing to do with drink or "eating prevents the virus".

I don't get why people keep asking this as it's quite simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

murpho999 wrote: »
    The food thing is purely to qualify as being a restaurant as restaurants where allowed to open.

It's nothing to do with drink or "eating prevents the virus".

I don't get why people keep asking this as it's quite simple.

So what's stopping pubs opening as normal then because I've been out in Galway now the last few nights and its basically a normal night out.

Like i said earlier was in a venue tonight 4 or 5 hours, we didn't have to order food, everyone was drinking away at their tables, Gardai came in didn't have issues and left a few minutes later.

So this whole restaurant thing is now by far the greatest load of nonsense and realistically there shouldn't be any reason to not open pubs as pubs when people are sat at their own tables anyway and the only difference is they haven't had a meal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

So what's stopping pubs opening as normal then because I've been out in Galway now the last few nights and its basically a normal night out.

Like i said earlier was in a venue tonight 4 or 5 hours, we didn't have to order food, everyone was drinking away at their tables, Gardai came in didn't have issues and left a few minutes later.

So this whole restaurant thing is now by far the greatest load of nonsense and realistically there shouldn't be any reason to not open pubs as pubs when people are sat at their own tables anyway and the only difference is they haven't had a meal

So pubs who have opened as restaurants are proving on a nightly basis that they can’t or won’t follow the regulations - serving food to operate as a restaurant so they are allowed open in the first place, adhering to time limits so people don’t become close contacts with people they don’t know, and in some cases not even getting contact details.

You really think that once all the pubs are open they will adhere to guidelines? Not a chance, it’s the only group that have opened so far that are wilfully going against guidance. I don’t remember a targeted Garda campaign to inspect Penney’s!

Here’s a novel approach. Roll with the guidelines for now and demonstrate that they can actually be trusted to open fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Benimar wrote: »
    So pubs who have opened as restaurants are proving on a nightly basis that they can’t or won’t follow the regulations - serving food to operate as a restaurant so they are allowed open in the first place, adhering to time limits so people don’t become close contacts with people they don’t know, and in some cases not even getting contact details.

You really think that once all the pubs are open they will adhere to guidelines? Not a chance, it’s the only group that have opened so far that are wilfully going against guidance. I don’t remember a targeted Garda campaign to inspect Penney’s!

Here’s a novel approach. Roll with the guidelines for now and demonstrate that they can actually be trusted to open fully.

What other businesses have been asked to kick paying customers out the door?
    Hey lads, I know ye plan to spend another 200 quid here, but get out

Whats happening now is the obvious outcome of nonsense regulations. I predicted exactly this a few weeks ago.

Jackman25 wrote: »
    What other businesses have been asked to kick paying customers out the door?

Whats happening now is the obvious outcome of nonsense regulations. I predicted exactly this a few weeks ago.

Actual restaurants for a start!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

And what about that all important reelin in the years appearance repeated for ever and ever

The 2020 Reelin In The Years will be pretty eventful,you think this pub will make it?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Actual restaurants for a start!

Restaurants are kicking people out before they finish their meal are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

honestly cant see wet pubs opening on the 10th Aug

They will make up some BS reason for cause they're scared of a rise in numbers before the supposed return of schools. Pub owners should open up in protest if it happens

They’ll open alright. I’d be surprised if they don’t get the green light to open directly after the August bank holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Has any health expert come out and explain the food thing

Its doesn't stop people getting drunk
    I'm not a health expert but I have worked in hospitality for a long time. Most people drink slower when they're eating. Drinking slower means people don't get as drunk and drunk people are less likely to follow guidelines like the 2 metres. One of the first things alcohol does to the body is shut down the judgment part of the brain and with this asshole of a virus we need people to have good judgement.

Jackman25 wrote: »
    Restaurants are kicking people out before they finish their meal are they?

No, they are making sure people get their meal in plenty of time so they will be finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

Risteard81 wrote: »
    He should have ordered the so-called Gardaí out and told them that they are trespassing and would be dealt with severely if they didn't get lost. He never should have acquiesced to their diktats.

Yeah,should have told the Gard he has no power as he wasn't wearing his hat.
    Maybe could have said he was a free man of the land aswell Risteard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

No, they are making sure people get their meal in plenty of time so they will be finished.

Can you categorically state the every restaraunt is compliant, the way you have tarred an awful lot pubs with the same brush?

And in terms of the pubs that have actually stayed closed, despite the effect its had on their business and lack of communication from the government, are they not by definition complying with guidelines? Yet you are concerned if they open they will not, despite showing the utmost respect for public health advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I'm looking forward to an immunity curry and a few pints this weekend.

I know a few lads who ordered some €9 immunity toasted sandwiches before the Liverpool match during the week, but they didn't eat them. Should they self-isolate for 14 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,547 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

GazzaL wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to an immunity curry and a few pints this weekend.

I know a few lads who ordered some €9 immunity toasted sandwiches before the Liverpool match during the week, but they didn't eat them. Should they self-isolate for 14 days?

Well if 1) Liverpool fans and 2) think food = immunity I dont think they should really be left do much without adult supervision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

People have to take a bit of personal responsibility too. Complaining about social distancing while they are standing beside someone, the person should just move or leave. The business owners shouldnt have to be complete nannies either. Provide the correctly spaced seating, the hand sanitizer etc, there is only so much hand holding that can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭lalababa

Getting alot of 2nd hand reports that rural pubs are going goodo. Food be damned. Alot of clientel would be 50+ with both their parents in the ground. Still poor behaviour.
    Depends on the pub management aswell, some are strictly adhering esp some that are used to or known for their food anyway.
    Before the virus alot of publicans tell me they couldn't be arsed with food...too much trouble..etc. And the ones that have done food for a few years say they would never go back to non food (making good money). Tis a strange one.
    I'm wondering aswell , there is a kinda policy of absolutely no food can be ordered after 8pm.
    Whereas you have tapas bars doing well in the cities and larger towns.
    Wouldn't you think esp. in tourist areas that pubs would have some simple/cold food after 8pm.
    I would regularly get the munchies during/after a few pints and happily would 'over' pay a little for something simple like tapas or pizza or cheese pickle /sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

lalababa wrote: »
    Getting alot of 2nd hand reports that rural pubs are going goodo. Food be damned. Alot of clientel would be 50+ with both their parents in the ground. Still poor behaviour.
    Depends on the pub management aswell, some are strictly adhering esp some that are used to or known for their food anyway.
    Before the virus alot of publicans tell me they couldn't be arsed with food...too much trouble..etc. And the ones that have done food for a few years say they would never go back to non food (making good money). Tis a strange one.
    I'm wondering aswell , there is a kinda policy of absolutely no food can be ordered after 8pm.
    Whereas you have tapas bars doing well in the cities and larger towns.
    Wouldn't you think esp. in tourist areas that pubs would have some simple/cold food after 8pm.
    I would regularly get the munchies during/after a few pints and happily would 'over' pay a little for something simple like tapas or pizza or cheese pickle /sandwich
    Often wondered that myself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

crap was in a restaurant other night for 5 hrs

People have to take a bit of personal responsibility too. Complaining about social distancing while they are standing beside someone, the person should just move or leave. The business owners shouldnt have to be complete nannies either. Provide the correctly spaced seating, the hand sanitizer etc, there is only so much hand holding that can be done.

Oh I agree, it does come down to personal responsibility.

If someone decides to stay in a confined space drinking for 5 hours, thats on them. They can't (but will!) moan that they should have been asked to leave if they end up catching it, or having to self isolate as a close contact.

However, businesses still have responsibility and should be adhering to the guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The food must be hot and substantial

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'm not a health expert but I have worked in hospitality for a long time. Most people drink slower when they're eating. Drinking slower means people don't get as drunk and drunk people are less likely to follow guidelines like the 2 metres. One of the first things alcohol does to the body is shut down the judgment part of the brain and with this asshole of a virus we need people to have good judgement.

Think people eat faster so they can drinker faster esp with this regulations. Binge drinking of sorts

Out of all the places I've been i wasn't asked to leave after 105 mins. Places are closing earlier. Some places make you get a main course for a pint, what's wrong with just getting any bit of food ?

Roll on the 10th Aug

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Think people eat faster so they can drinker faster esp with this regulations. Binge drinking of sorts

Out of all the places I've been i wasn't asked to leave after 105 mins. Places are closing earlier. Some places make you get a main course for a pint, what's wrong with just getting any bit of food ?

Roll on the 10th Aug

The 10th of August won’t happen. Not a hope. This is what I think is the likely scenario:

Next repopening - "We've come too far now and we're really close to reopening the schools so we'll push it back 3 weeks

Reopening after that - "The schools are only back a couple of days so we have to put our full focus on that and the safey of that so we will push it back 3 weeks.

Reopening after that - "We're really pleased that the schools are still open after more than 3 weeks so we can't do anyting to jeopardise that. We will push it back 3 weeks.

Reopening after that (x2) "We stlll have the schools open which is a testament to the hard work of everyone and we are now heading into winter flu season and we have serious concerns how this will react with Covid 19 so we can't take any chances with it so pubs have to remain closed.

Reopenings after that (x3) Mid November to January: We are very concerned about the mix of Coronavirus, Winter Flu and the Christmas season in pubs around Ireland. It's a cocktail for disaster and a serious reemergence of the disease. We also need our schools to remain open fully in the new year. We feel in the interests for Public Health the pubs will reamain closed until January.

Already starting the drive today.... https://m.independent.ie/opinion/comment/flu-and-covid-19-may-combine-to-form-a-lethal-winter-enemy-39396066.html (behind a paywall)

The 10th of August won’t happen. Not a hope. This is what I think is the likely scenario:

Next repopening - "We've come too far now and we're really close to reopening the schools so we'll push it back 3 weeks

Reopening after that - "The schools are only back a couple of days so we have to put our full focus on that and the safey of that so we will push it back 3 weeks.

Reopening after that - "We're really pleased that the schools are still open after more than 3 weeks so we can't do anyting to jeopardise that. We will push it back 3 weeks.

Reopening after that (x2) "We stlll have the schools open which is a testament to the hard work of everyone and we are now heading into winter flu season and we have serious concerns how this will react with Covid 19 so we can't take any chances with it so pubs have to remain closed.

Reopenings after that (x3) Mid November to January: We are very concerned about the mix of Coronavirus, Winter Flu and the Christmas season in pubs around Ireland. It's a cocktail for disaster and a serious reemergence of the disease. We also need our schools to remain open fully in the new year. We feel in the interests for Public Health the pubs will reamain closed until January.

Already starting the drive today.... https://m.independent.ie/opinion/comment/flu-and-covid-19-may-combine-to-form-a-lethal-winter-enemy-39396066.html (behind a paywall)

**** that for a game of cowboys, the publicans will go mental

Mental health is also a factor, some people like there few pints and meeting friends/family.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Not happening, there will come a point where publications will revolt, either by getting in a soup kettle or just saying **** it, if the government aren't willing to cover losses from closure, the pubs will revolt, and the public will take their side.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Not happening, there will come a point where publications will revolt, either by getting in a soup kettle or just saying **** it, if the government aren't willing to cover losses from closure, the pubs will revolt, and the public will take their side.

would that july stimulus package help them out ?

The government could say to the publicans 'if u stayed closed we will help your finances through a rescue package etc'

Listen, I hope you're right. I really do. I love a few pints. But already this week Leo half mentioned sacraficing August 10th for the sake of the schools.

Listen, I hope you're right. I really do. I love a few pints. But already this week Leo half mentioned sacraficing August 10th for the sake of the schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

would that july stimulus package help them out ?

The government could say to the publicans 'if u stayed closed we will help your finances through a rescue package etc'
    Diageo have already been paid for kegs, sky sports reactivated the 29th, plus bills and overheads, unless they are willing to cover around 90% of losses they'll be told to **** off.

They could possibly push it back once more, but what are they going to threaten pubs with come September when licences are renewed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

This is a serious public health risk. If I keep eating food every time I go for a pint, I'll explode.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

they can close down restaurants , gyms , churches so. That flu article is crap too, other countries eg chile have seen a massive drop in winter flu because of social distancing masks etc

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-19-measures-have-all-but-wiped-out-the-flu-in-the-southern-hemisphere-11595440682

And it's the poxy kids that will spread this **** all over the kip. and 40% of new cases are travel , don't have the balls to stop flights

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement