Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I'm in a FG WhatsApp group and there's been some talk of a new approach to public alcohol consumption post covid. Nothing decided obviously but the benefits are obvious.

I'm in a FF WhatsApp group, they said FG are dry ****es who are FFs lapdogs and when everyone is vaccinated it's free into Coppers for a week......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I'm in a FG WhatsApp group and there's been some talk of a new approach to public alcohol consumption post covid. Nothing decided obviously but the benefits are obvious.

Mod

Don't post unsubstantiated rumours like this. All this is doing is trolling & winding posters up.

Post any evidence of this when it comes to pass. I heard it on Whatsapp is akin to ' man down the pub told me' (no pun intended)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭cityboyjim

Everybody still missing the simple solution .Open with restricted numbers in covid free locations .Locations of new cases should be flagged every evening on a county by county map .Where there is a case nearby, close until its clear then open again with the restricted numbers .Sure we havent a clue where the cases are .

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I'm in a FF WhatsApp group, they said FG are dry ****es who are FFs lapdogs and when everyone is vaccinated it's free into Coppers for a week......

I heard it in a Mods whatsapp, parodies aren't funny the second time either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

cityboyjim wrote: »
    Everybody still missing the simple solution .Open with restricted numbers in covid free locations .Locations of new cases should be flagged every evening on a county by county map .Where there is a case nearby, close until its clear then open again with the restricted numbers .Sure we havent a clue where the cases are .

You reckon stocking and staffing can work under those ideal conditions? What about travel.....
    Try all about an airy fairy solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gardesana Pecher

No mod notes on unsubstantiated rumours on this one? Or is it only FG whatsapp that's protected?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

kippy wrote: »
    Of course alcohol is relevant......
    And unfortunately the fact that some people don't seem to be able to comprehend this is also another reason the choices have to be taken away from people.....

Not much different than the bored mammy's gathering in groups at their overpriced coffee cafes gossiping for hours about their upcoming trips or newly purchased designer clothes.

No mod notes on unsubstantiated rumours on this one? Or is it only FG whatsapp that's protected?

2 posts above yours lad, I got my slap on the wrist, no need to call teacher.....

That was clearly a parody post. No mod note required.

And back on topic please.

• Advertisement

When your talking about stocking a Bar you forget it can be got at a days notice .An hours notice in most parts of Ireland .Remember your not stocking for weeks on end .A warm safe place for 15 local people to actually sit and chat .I am sure if there is no Powers they will drink Paddy .Not talking about a money making exercise either .Let the owner keep the PUP .Cannot see the difference between a busy shop and a safe well controlled Bar .Baffles me to be honest .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

When your talking about stocking a Bar you forget it can be got at a days notice .An hours notice in most parts of Ireland .Remember your not stocking for weeks on end .A warm safe place for 15 local people to actually sit and chat .I am sure if there is no Powers they will drink Paddy .Not talking about a money making exercise either .Let the owner keep the PUP .Cannot see the difference between a busy shop and a safe well controlled Bar .Baffles me to be honest .

How does the barman implement the 'local' people rule?
    There's a world of difference between them but not being able to see it, is part of the problem in the first instance

That's a shebeen........

A Shebeen is an unlicenced and unregulated premises that the authorities know nothing about .Big difference .The Publicans in rural Ireland know their customers .Three mile radius sorts that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I think its worth remembering that since this started in March the vaccine timeline has been accelerating all the time and as more vaccines get approved by the EU it will continue to accelerate. I think pubs will be open as normal by autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

That's a shebeen........

Even the kids are at it.

Ep77JF3XYAoqQ3x.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

you keep saying 'the real reason' without explaining it.

what, in your mind is the difference between a cafe and a non food pub with regards risk.

and if you insist on the fantasy world where everyone in the pub is blotto drunk, I'm insisting on the fantasy world where everyone in the coffee shop is a 15 year old kid out with their mates from different houses and not giving a hoot. We either play the game accurately where those extremes are a tiny minority (the reality) or we play it where both extremes are in full swing.

Eric, you’re embarrassing yourself by pretending you don’t know the difference between a pub and a cafe. But I’ll play the game and explain the reason to YouTube difference between a pub and a cafe, is the fact that a pub sells alcohol. Alcohol has the tendency to change people’s behaviour. It causes people to be less cautious, feel less vulnerable, overestimate their ability to do things and lower inhibitions.

I don’t assume anyone needs to be ”blotto drunk” for the same reason that we have drink driving laws that don’t only penalise divers who are “blotto drunk”. Alcohol significantly changes behaviour without anyone being “blotto drunk”. You can make any assumptions you think will help your case, I’ll just stick to reality.

Difference between a wet pub and dry pub is less dramatic. Food is somewhat essential, and drink isn’t. Food is necessary for a lot of people working who need to buy food. But I think dry pubs are lucky to be able to open, there’s a good case for treating them the same as all pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

A Shebeen is an unlicenced and unregulated premises that the authorities know nothing about .

Or only know it as

62367228_2521143914591287_1848331182899462144_n.png?_nc_cat=101&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=itcLneHlECoAX9fDx78&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=30&oh=0e6a04a79eb6e1efbf916a180d955dc7&oe=601116D0

There's a huge difference between being able to pop into a coffee shop or a cafe for 30 mins or so a couple of days a week than being able to booze in a pub for hours.

Hard to argue against. But go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

There's a huge difference between being able to pop into a coffee shop or a cafe for 30 mins or so a couple of days a week than being able to booze in a pub for hours.

Not all pubs are the same but they're all being treated the same. My (former) local now closed and never to open again was an old man's pub just ticking along with the same few lads in there the whole time. It's almost like our front room. Pints of porter and lads sitting at the bar.

I can see the argument about the larger town/city venues being closed that are usually rammed with people. They're not all like that.

No doubt someone here is about to get triggered by that very notion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Neowise

There's a huge difference between being able to pop into a pub for a quick scoop for 30 mins or so a couple of days a week than being able to sit in a cafe drinking coffee for hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

So 30 mins is the latest reckoned time for being indoors with random other people (not masked while drinking coffee and chatting) and be safe from contacting Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Open the door of a pub and you're immediately met with a waft of humid air. You can smell the Guinness farts. Air circulation in pubs is non existent. Add in drunken louts and it's Covid's wet dream for spreading.

Neowise wrote: »
    There's a huge difference between being able to pop into a pub for a quick scoop for 30 mins or so a couple of days a week than being able to sit in a cafe drinking coffee for hours.

No one is drinking coffee for hours.

A lot of wasters love to sit over one on a laptop for hours.

I used to go to coffee shops and sit there for hours with a book or do a bit of work. I would also go to the pub for a pint of a mid week evening. I'd be alone in both places but would rarely spend hours in the pub.

So 30 mins is the latest reckoned time for being indoors with random other people (not masked while drinking coffee and chatting) and be safe from contacting Covid.

It's an example of how part of our economy could re-open. Lots of people use coffee shops and cafes and pay them money for food. Or, at least we could.

You've clearly never been inside a Starbucks, or are you referring to the actual act of drinking a cup of coffee.....

Nah, I was referring to the idea that pubs are not the same as coffee shops and that it's a shame to tar them all with the same brush.

But never mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,935 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So annoying walking around town today and seeing all of the hospitality closed (bar one place doing takeaway) and looks like it will be getting worse with non essential retail closing too

Were really in the pits now even with the magic vaccine. Dr Tony you got your wish are you happy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I got food poisoning in a pub about 5 years ago. If pubs weren't allowed to open, I wouldn't have got food poisoning. Lock them down forever Tony!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111

• Advertisement

Neowise wrote: »

Ah now. Are you trying to make the case that people spend hours in a coffee shop in a similar way to spending hours in the pub?

It’s hard to know what’s real and what’s parody with the ones who argue to open the pubs at this time

Ah now. Are you trying to make the case that people spend hours in a coffee shop in a similar way to spending hours in the pub?

It’s hard to know what’s real and what’s parody with the ones who argue to open the pubs at this time

Read my earlier post. I'm sure there are plenty like me.

Read my earlier post. I'm sure there are plenty like me.

The one about you being alone in the pub and the coffee shop? Not sure what relevance it has to anything. Being alone anywhere wouldn’t be a problem with covid. If pubs or coffee shops always only had one customer at a time then there wouldn’t be an issue (nor would they stay in business)

The notion that people spend similar time in coffee shops and pubs, is guff.

Would you seriously make the case that generally people spend time in coffee shops the same as they spend time in pubs?

The one about you being alone in the pub and the coffee shop? Not sure what relevance it has to anything. Being alone anywhere wouldn’t be a problem with covid. If pubs or coffee shops always only had one customer at a time then there wouldn’t be an issue (nor would they stay in business)

The notion that people spend similar time in coffee shops and pubs, is guff.

Would you seriously make the case that generally people spend time in coffee shops the same as they spend time in pubs?

Plenty of people spend hours in coffee shops alone and with others. Personally I avoided my local coffee place for the most part of the pandemic because people were all on top of each other. Each time I was in a pub however I felt safe and also felt that the environment was more regulated. People were shown to a table, orders were taken, no queuing or walking around.

That is just my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Dr Tony you got your wish are you happy ?

Yes, I am sure he is ecstatic knowing you cant have your pint. ****ing christ.

Plenty of people spend hours in coffee shops alone and with others. Personally I avoided my local coffee place for the most part of the pandemic because people were all on top of each other. Each time I was in a pub however I felt safe and also felt that the environment was more regulated. People were shown to a table, orders were taken, no queuing or walking around.

That is just my experience.

Ok. This was the question I asked: “Would you seriously make the case that generally people spend time in coffee shops the same as they spend time in pubs?”

What’s your answer to that question?

I used to go to coffee shops and sit there for hours with a book or do a bit of work. I would also go to the pub for a pint of a mid week evening. I'd be alone in both places but would rarely spend hours in the pub.

Yes, I'm sure you did, but in the current environment - if things were open - you wouldn't be sitting anywhere for hours. I get your point, but it's hardly relevant to the current environment we find ourselves in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Open the door of a pub and you're immediately met with a waft of humid air. You can smell the Guinness farts. Air circulation in pubs is non existent. Add in drunken louts and it's Covid's wet dream for spreading.

Sounds like my kind of pub!

Ok. This was the question I asked: “Would you seriously make the case that generally people spend time in coffee shops the same as they spend time in pubs?”

What’s your answer to that question?

Yes I would. I remember how busy Starbucks on Dame St used to be.

• Advertisement

Yes, I'm sure you did, but in the current environment - if things were open - you wouldn't be sitting anywhere for hours. I get your point, but it's hardly relevant to the current environment we find ourselves in.

If things were open in the current environment then I'd be either in a coffee shop for an hour or a pub for an hour. But I might not be understanding you correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Think you've mixed up pubs with your bedroom?

Yes I would. I remember how busy Starbucks on Dame St used to be.

I don’t know Starbucks on Dame St. Is Starbucks on Dame St. typical of coffee shops, do you think?

So just to clarify, you’re seriously suggesting that people spend time in coffee shops in the way they spend time in pubs?

It’s fine if that’s what you’re saying. It sums up the level of absurdity that’s necessary to make your points.

Any reasonable person will know that people do not tend to spend time in coffee shops they way they spend time in pubs. It’s common for people to spend 5-6 hours in the pub in a day. I’d often leave work at 5 on a Fridays and go for pints until closing time. That’s common. Spending 5-6 hours in a coffee shop doesn’t happen on anything like the scale it does in pubs.

People commonly go to pubs to watch a 90 minute match and stay on afterwards. Very few people would do that in a coffee shop.

But that’s not the interesting point. The interesting pint is how far you have to stray from reality to make your point that pubs and cafes are similar re covid. You can’t have felt good about yourself when you were seriously suggesting people generally spend the same or similar time in cafes and pubs. People are so willing to sacrifice their integrity when discussing this topic. Genuinely fascinating to watch.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Didn't come in to this thread for a while, as it had become more than a little derailed from reality, and having come back, it's even more delusional and off topic, I thought for a moment I'd wandered into some strange parallel universe, but then realised that unfortunately, some of the people posting here really believe what they are posting. Incredible.

I just hope that later today, even the gasto pubs get told in no uncertain manner that take away pints are off the menu for the forseeable future, we really don't need the crowds in the streets with the health implications of an uncontrolled venue with no facilities whatsover.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Didn't come in to this thread for a while, as it had become more than a little derailed from reality, and having come back, it's even more delusional and off topic, I thought for a moment I'd wandered into some strange parallel universe, but then realised that unfortunately, some of the people posting here really believe what they are posting. Incredible.

I just hope that later today, even the gasto pubs get told in no uncertain manner that take away pints are off the menu for the forseeable future, we really don't need the crowds in the streets with the health implications of an uncontrolled venue with no facilities whatsover.

So instead of drinking takeaway pints, they drink cans........ Genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Shut the pubs was the cry at the start.
    See people are still drinking - shut down takeaway pints.
    See people are still drinking - shut the off licenses.
    See people still drinking - shut the border they're getting it up north.
    See people still drinking - round up all the beer and burn it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

And again, I think people using Dublin as the worst example of takeaway pints going out of hand is the wrong way to look at it. We can't use "look what is happening in Dublin" as a metric for everything.

There is a pub in a village near me doing takeaway pints and he delivers them to anyone within a 5KM radius of the pub. His is the only pub of the three doing it. Another fella in the nearest decent sized town to me was doing the same, while a popular gastropub in the same town does takeaway cocktails where they basically give you the ingredients in a box and instructions and away you go.

I haven't seen any crowds of people merged together availing of these takeaway pints. But I have seen groups of friends going to the off-license in Tesco or wherever else at the exact same time. That's some coincidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,935 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

mightyreds wrote: »
    Shut the pubs was the cry at the start.
    See people are still drinking - shut down takeaway pints.
    See people are still drinking - shut the off licenses.
    See people still drinking - shut the border they're getting it up north.
    See people still drinking - round up all the beer and burn it.

Rex Banner like

People can drink cans any time they want. Is drinking cans a covid risk? What’s your point?

People can drink cans any tile they want. Is drinking cans a covid risk? What’s your point?

Is drinking takeaway pints a covid risk??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Is drinking takeaway pints a covid risk??

When you pack the streets I guess it is..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement