Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Guess what we opened up non essential retail restaurants and pub. People partied like crazy.
    What happened was some people partied like f@@k and went home for Christmas dinner. CIVID us all.over the place at present and that is down to two things pubs and people meeting for Christmas dinner
    Yeah, its been like Ibiza in Ireland this last 8 months, all those pubs open and packing them in every night, couldn't swing a cat for all the sessions taking place on every street.

The whole country, partying like **** every night, I think there was even a video of it at one point a few months ago.

My word, the numbers today are horrific and deeply worrying. I think it puts to bed the frankly idiotic idea that 'wet pubs' should have been allowed open. Hospitality shouldn't have been allowed open at all tbh, and it's a certainty that figures would be even worse if even Tom, Dick, and Harry was allowed waltz into some poorly insulated hellhole for a pint of tasteless lager.

Yes numbers are high and sadly 7 people lost there lives today but the numbers dying arent the same as the first wave. And please dont go blaming the hospitality trade for the rise in numbers unless you have the figures to back it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Dreadful news on the spread of the virus over the last while and sadly things are not looking great for the future.
    Specifically relating for this thread the news that the Goat will not reopen is a blow for the area and for the trade. Thats now taken the Deerpark Inn - closed and redeveloped for housing, the Mount Merrion Inn / Kiely`s, closed and redeveloped as the Union Cafe and now the biggest blow, the Goat closed and the entire site sold to Margaret Heffernan for redevelopment as a Dunnes Stores plus car park plus some housing. While Charlie Chalk`s empire will reduce and contract thats quite a large part of South County Dublin without a pub

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭the rock29

Can you post a link to this information about the goat grill have a few friends work there and haven't heard anything

• Registered Users Posts: 15,311 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Dreadful news on the spread of the virus over the last while and sadly things are not looking great for the future.
    Specifically relating for this thread the news that the Goat will not reopen is a blow for the area and for the trade. Thats now taken the Deerpark Inn - closed and redeveloped for housing, the Mount Merrion Inn / Kiely`s, closed and redeveloped as the Union Cafe and now the biggest blow, the Goat closed and the entire site sold to Margaret Heffernan for redevelopment as a Dunnes Stores plus car park plus some housing. While Charlie Chalk`s empire will reduce and contract thats quite a large part of South County Dublin without a pub

Are you referring to Kielys in donnybrook? If so that was closed a long time before covid.

Know people who work in the goat and they've not heard anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

)
    Yes numbers are high and sadly 7 people lost there lives today but the numbers dying arent the same as the first wave. And please dont go blaming the hospitality trade for the rise in numbers unless you have the figures to back it up

Hard luck on being rumbled by the Gardai in the shebeen the other day but sure **** happens.;) No doubt you will get over it eventually.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

While obviously adherence wasn't as high as the first lockdown, I allowed myself to believe that people were taking it seriously in the November lockdown. That is until I saw the negative reaction to Leo's comments that people shouldn't travel home and meet large numbers of people at Christmas.

When people are ringing in on the radio, saying that Leo was "out of touch" and then openly admitting that they intended on flying home from the UK and not isolating before mixing with their extended family, I knew we were f**ked. There are 1000s like them.

I miss the pubs as much as anyone but to insist that they can open in any way safely in the current environment is nonsense.

)

Hard luck on being rumbled by the Gardai in the shebeen the other day but sure **** happens.;) No doubt you will get over it eventually.;)

Sorry to disappoint you pal but that wasnt us ;). We will never get rumbled. Had a right session on the 26th and 30th :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Sorry to disappoint you pal but that wasnt us ;). We will never get rumbled. Had a right session on the 26th and 30th :D

I'll take things that didn't happen for 10 points please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭PommieBast

When people are ringing in on the radio, saying that Leo was "out of touch" and then openly admitting that they intended on flying home from the UK and not isolating before mixing with their extended family, I knew we were f**ked. There are 1000s like them.
    I knew the country was in trouble when October/November's lockdown was called "six weeks to save christmas". That was pretty much an open invite.

• Advertisement

Famous last words and all that old buddy .................;):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

pottokblue wrote: »
    I was last in pub 19/12/2020 and am looking forward to going to pub again sometime 2021. I was talking to my southafrican cousin who has an offwork dose of C19 and in Southafrica they have curfew and no alcohol sales. If our gov was serious we should try a circuitbreaker 3-week prohibtion era close offliences as nonessential and shut the aclohol supermarket sections and see if it helps reduce spread...
    Half of my neighbours are visiting each other daily in breach of guidelines for cups of tea and coffee. Should we shut down the the tea and coffee aisle in supermarkets and ban sales?

Famous last words and all that old buddy .................;):)
    Trust me we wont get rumbled. We aint teenagers or youngsters who are going to post pictures on social media. We are just a couple of guys in our 40s/50s who enjoy a few pints and games of pool. We need something to do to get away from the wives and kids :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

There was a 36 hour rave in France over the New Years. Stop saying Irish are partying like no one else is around the world.

fin12 wrote: »
    There was a 36 hour rave in France over the New Years. Stop saying Irish are partying like no one else is around the world.
    Seen that. Crazy ****. Think there was another illegal rave in Barcalona

Trust me we wont get rumbled. We aint teenagers or youngsters who are going to post pictures on social media. We are just a couple of guys in our 40s/50s who enjoy a few pints and games of pool. We need something to do to get away from the wives and kids :D

You think so? Ever hear the phrase "Loose lips sink ships"? Only a matter of time until someone in your crew gets careless and spills the beans. The clock is ticking for you old buddy..................:);)

Seen that. Crazy ****. Think there was another illegal rave in Barcalona

Ya but just sick of the treads on here like oh the Irish can’t control themselves as if no one else in the world is doing it.

People everywhere are sick sh*t of these restrictions. I socialize a good bit during December, no one I socialized with got Covid since.

You think so? Ever hear the phrase "Loose lips sink ships"? Only a matter of time until someone in your crew gets careless and spills the beans. The clock is ticking for you old buddy..................:);)

Why would someone do that unless they are extremely th*ck.

fin12 wrote: »
    Why would someone do that unless they are extremely th*ck.

The fact they’re doing it in the first place would have that as a cert.

• Advertisement

As i said pal we aint teenagers or youngsters so there wont be anyone mouthing off so you will be disappointed. Anyway there wont be another session until the current restrictions are lifted. I will let you know when the next one is ;)

The fact they’re doing it in the first place would have that as a cert.

I never mentioned where we are. Could be anywhere in the country. There are shebeens all over the country. As i said we are a couple of guys in our 40s/50s having a few pints/games of pool. Doing no harm to anyone. And as i stated in a previous comment there will be no more sessions till the current restrictions are lifted

I never mentioned where we are. Could be anywhere in the country. There are shebeens all over the country. As i said we are a couple of guys in our 40s/50s having a few pints/games of pool. Doing no harm to anyone. And as i stated in a previous comment there will be no more sessions till the current restrictions are lifted

Potentially doing harm to every person you’re going home to, every person they see, and it goes on from there.

As i said pal we aint teenagers or youngsters so there wont be anyone mouthing off so you will be disappointed. Anyway there wont be another session until the current restrictions are lifted. I will let you know when the next one is ;)

Well in that case old buddy I look forward to seeing you post around Easter at the earliest. Be sure to dispose of the evidence of your fun and games carefully and remember the hills have eyes and the walls have ears.:);):pac:

Well in that case old buddy I look forward to seeing you post around Easter at the earliest. Be sure to dispose of the evidence of your fun and games carefully and remember the hills have eyes and the walls have ears.:);):pac:

Another snitch who would report someone to the guards. Look pal you hide yourself under the bed. Someone will give you a shout when this pandemic is over. By the way i am sure we might squeeze a session in on Paddys day or even before it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Pcgamer

Better off having the pubs open with strict regulations. 25% capacity or the likes.

• Advertisement

Potentially doing harm to every person you’re going home to, every person they see, and it goes on from there.

Shhhh don`t be stating things like that on here. None of that matters .The most important thing is that Saviola and his buddies have their fun and games.

Another snitch who would report someone to the guards. Look pal you hide yourself under the bed. Someone will give you a shout when this pandemic is over. By the way i am sure we might squeeze a session in on Paddys day or even before it :D

Your standards are slipping old buddy. I expected a curtain twitcher or lockdown merchant comment in your reply. Do try and keep up.:):;)pac:

Your standards are slipping old buddy. I expected a curtain twitcher or lockdown merchant comment in your reply. Do try and keep up.:):;)pac:

I can pass you on the eircode if you want. Your more than welcome to join the gang for a few scoops the next time we have a session :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Pcgamer

All you doing there is looking for some type of reaction from saviola.

Pcgamer wrote: »
    Better off having the pubs open with strict regulations. 25% capacity or the likes.
    Did toy with an idea along the lines of private members' club regulations that kept patrons to the same social circles, though I doubt it would have been workable in practice. Anyway the gov't shafted all the ones who spent a packet installing anti-Covid measures over the spring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Just wondering why we beat ourselves up so much over having an alchol problem when we have a huge percentage of pioneers and tts in this country, plus look at how bad people are in France and Spain with raves and illegal parties and then they start rioting when police broke it up, same in stamullan in october a rave and all brazilians at ti. so we are most certainly not alone in having drink probllems. those coountroes are worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

countries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,115 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Having the pubs open is more for the social interaction something that's natural for us

Everyone has there own reasons and opinions on pub life. Somewhere to go for a few hours meet some friends celebrate/commiserate etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Looks like they might be keeping some pubs open in England and Scotland

https://www.beveragedaily.com/Article/2021/01/04/BrewDog-offers-bars-and-pubs-as-COVID-19-vaccination-centres

Only a piss take

No way work something like that happen in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭hynesie08

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Only a piss take

Why? You go in, sit at a socially distanced, sanitised table, the vaccine is taken out of the bottle fridges that are designed for minus temperature, wait your 15 minutes or so and exit through a different door than you came in. I can think of 15 pubs near me that would be a perfect pop up vaccination centre.

You did read the article didn't you? Nobody's gonna be getting served, you're not going for a vaccine, a carvery and 8 pints of snakebite......

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Why? You go in, sit at a socially distanced, sanitised table, the vaccine is taken out of the bottle fridges that are designed for minus temperature, wait your 15 minutes or so and exit through a different door than you came in. I can think of 15 pubs near me that would be a perfect pop up vaccination centre.

You did read the article didn't you? Nobody's gonna be getting served, you're not going for a vaccine, a carvery and 8 pints of snakebite......

Tony won't like the idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Tony won't like the idea

Ah yes, king Tony, hater of pubs and killer of craic, author of all your woes.....For someone who is constantly on about personal responsibilities, you love blaming him.

You called the idea a "piss take" it's not, it's a very solid idea that probably won't be necessary here, especially when we're at the level of dosage where gp's and pharmacists are involved, if a small town in the Midlands needs somewhere that can accommodate 50 with spacing and has cold storage, I Guarentee a large pub/GAA hall/function room will be considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Only a piss take

Not so much a piss take as a publicity stunt. Brew Dog is notorious for its marketing campaigns. This one is just a semi-plausible idea that won’t be needed.

If they ran out of doctors surgeries, pharmacies, empty community centres, hotel function rooms, marquees, empty offices and any other large open space like gym sports halls, then pubs might be a good idea.

The uk has started using hotel function rooms as “nightingale courts” because they’re big, suitable for distancing and not being used at the moment. So they already have plans for this type of thing. If they ran out of hotel function rooms then pubs might be a good shout.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I was last in pub 19/12/2020 and am looking forward to going to pub again sometime 2021. I was talking to my southafrican cousin who has an offwork dose of C19 and in Southafrica they have curfew and no alcohol sales. If our gov was serious we should try a circuitbreaker 3-week prohibtion era close offliences as nonessential and shut the aclohol supermarket sections and see if it helps reduce spread...
    Like mandatory maskwearing it could be a mandatory two week dry january it might achieve ****all or it might help. Who knows unless they try it. Plenty of alcohol admissions in Dublin EDs precorona and alcohol at times plays a role in selfharm and domestic abuse. Nevertheless I think that pubs should have been reopened back in June 2021 but am hopeful of a march 21 pub pints.

I think the consensus is that South Africa's approach to things has been a failure, including the alcohol prohibition that has caused many issues.

Funnily enough, the people I've seen most vocally against an alcohol ban are doctors. There would be significant negative impacts on our health system if we were to have thousands of alcoholics suffering from withdrawal all at once, when our system is already in danger of being overloaded.

• Advertisement

Amirani wrote: »
    Funnily enough, the people I've seen most vocally against an alcohol ban are doctors. There would be significant negative impacts on our health system if we were to have thousands of alcoholics suffering from withdrawal all at once, when our system is already in danger of being overloaded.
    Just as likely they know that there would be an immediate problem with bootleg booze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

PommieBast wrote: »
    Just as likely they know that there would be an immediate problem with bootleg booze.

And cross border shopping, not to mention online ordering, joke of an idea however well intentioned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

And cross border shopping, not to mention online ordering, joke of an idea however well intentioned

Nobody has seriously suggested doing it. The only ones I’ve seen seriously suggest it have been the VFI and other “open the pubs” people who want to tie all alcohol sales together so the pubs are reopened. There have been a few people who suggested it will happen as part of a puritan movement towards banning alcohol sales altogether. But they also tend to be the “open the pubs” people with a persecuting fantasy about a conspiracy theory where everyone is out to get the pubs.

Government hasn’t even mentioned it as a plan they’re considering or would consider. It’s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Nobody has seriously suggested doing it. The only ones I’ve seen seriously suggest it have been the VFI and other “open the pubs” people who want to tie all alcohol sales together so the pubs are reopened. There have been a few people who suggested it will happen as part of a puritan movement towards banning alcohol sales altogether. But they also tend to be the “open the pubs” people with a persecuting fantasy about a conspiracy theory where everyone is out to get the pubs.

Government hasn’t even mentioned it as a plan they’re considering or would consider. It’s

Ah i know its not serious option but it often gets an airing in threads like these

Feels so weird and a little frustrating seeing full pubs in movies/tv etc

Let's hope this way of life returns soon. Rightly so more important things will/need to come first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Feels so weird and a little frustrating seeing full pubs in movies/tv etc

Let's hope this way of life returns soon. Rightly so more important things will/need to come first
    Few friends sent me videos of the nightlife in Australia recently. To say I was envious would be an understatement! Only positive is that if it's happening in other parts of the world, it will happen here...eventually. But, as you say, more important hurdles lie ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Few friends sent me videos of the nightlife in Australia recently. To say I was envious would be an understatement! Only positive is that if it's happening in other parts of the world, it will happen here...eventually. But, as you say, more important hurdles lie ahead.

The wonders of a competent government and a nation of people who will listen to instruction and follow the guidelines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

The wonders of a competent government and a nation of people who will listen to instruction and follow the guidelines.
    And a country with control of its own borders, which helps a lot!

Don't forget the rather authoritarian system of on-the-spot fines they have. Brother used to live out there and dog fouling wlil land you a $500 fine. Strictly enforced and not means-tested.

• Advertisement

PommieBast wrote: »
    Don't forget the rather authoritarian system of on-the-spot fines they have. Brother used to live out there and dog fouling wlil land you a $500 fine. Strictly enforced and not means-tested.

Proper order.Should have been implemented and enforced here as well a long time ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement