Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Proper order.Should have been implemented and enforced here as well a long time ago.

Well they could actually start by having bins where u can put the dog sh*te in, signs for no dog fouling but I can walk a full circle walk by me prob about 5 miles and not a bin in sight to dump the sh*te. If u think someone’s going to carry a bag of sh*te with them for an hour , think again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

fin12 wrote: »
    Well they could actually start by having bins where u can put the dog sh*te in, signs for no dog fouling but I can walk a full circle walk by me prob about 5 miles and not a bin in sight to dump the sh*te. If u think someone’s going to carry a bag of sh*te with them for an hour , think again.

Actually you think again pal. I am involved with a local GAA club where a policy was introduced last summer where dog walkers on the grounds are required to clean up dog ****e after them. If any are caught not doing this they are banned from access to the club grounds if there is a dog with them. This is a fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,115 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So are we coming near the time where its proven Hospitality was not the issue ??

If say this time next month numbers are still high and Hospitality still been blamed then how would it be fair given it will of been closed over a month

PTH2009 wrote: »
    So are we coming near the time where its proven Hospitality was not the issue ??

If say this time next month numbers are still high and Hospitality still been blamed then how would it be fair given it will of been closed over a month

Hospitality not the issue? What planet are you living on? Restaurants and gastro pubs packed during December many of them not observing the Covid regulations, many wet pubs opening on the sly not to mention the absolute fcukwits having house parties or drinking in shebeens. A huge cause of why we are now in this utter ****show.:(

Actually you think again pal. I am involved with a local GAA club where a policy was introduced last summer where dog walkers on the grounds are required to clean up dog ****e after them. If any are caught not doing this they are banned from access to the club grounds if there is a dog with them. This is a fact.

Is there a bin?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Well I've only one personal knowledge of somebody contracting covid and it happened in a restaurant. Person I know was at a table of 4 when an old pal from another table came over for a catchup for 15 minutes. A few days later the person I know got the notification of being a close contact. Turns out the old pal had covid and all people at the table got it, all individual households. My friends family of 5 all subsequently got it. Not sure how all infections were recorded, but 12 to 15 all from that eating trip. Government guidelines and personal choices led to this, which would not have occurred if closed.

Hospitality not the issue? What planet are you living on? Restaurants and gastro pubs packed during December many of them not observing the Covid regulations, many wet pubs opening on the sly not to mention the absolute fcukwits having house parties or drinking in shebeens. A huge cause of why we are now in this utter ****show.:(

What planet are u on? I went to at least 6 or 7 food pubs over December and every single one of them observed social distancing and all the rules . If you witnessed all this places breaking rules, that means u were inside them or know people who were inside them.

No the **** show is the mixing at Christmas Day which was always going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Pcgamer

No its not. GAA clubs don't allow dogs on their grounds whatsoever.

Have you got the data to back up your claim that restaurants and gastro pubs were the cause for the rise in cases because if you do you should produce the data

Have you got the data to back up your claim that restaurants and gastro pubs were the cause for the rise in cases because if you do you should produce the data

The data is with all the dog ****e from his local GAA grounds....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭showpony1

A huge cause of why we are now in this utter ****show.:(

You talking about Shit, another lad refusing to throw out his shit, the country has really gone to the dogs(hit).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

delly wrote: »
    Well I've only one personal knowledge of somebody contracting covid and it happened in a restaurant. Person I know was at a table of 4 when an old pal from another table came over for a catchup for 15 minutes. A few days later the person I know got the notification of being a close contact. Turns out the old pal had covid and all people at the table got it, all individual households. My friends family of 5 all subsequently got it. Not sure how all infections were recorded, but 12 to 15 all from that eating trip. Government guidelines and personal choices led to this, which would not have occurred if closed.

Restaurants are amateur hour, if you really want to catch covid get yourself into a hospital. Or a school, if there is no hospital close to you.

Condolences on the deaths of those 12 to 15 people by the way, never nice to see a whole family of 5 wiped out like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Who said hospitality was the issue? Hospitality was closed so it couldn’t be the issue. If pubs were open they certainly would be an issue.

Would you like me to explain it to you or would that ruin your position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

What a wonderful story. Albeit one which has nothing to do with pubs.

But in all seriousness, yes, clearly if the friend of your friend had only wandered up to him in any other environment than a restaurant, everything would have been fine.

And to be clear, your friend in no way bears any responsibility for infecting his family after chatting away for 15 minutes to the "old pal". (Or was it a pal of someone else at your friend's table? That's not quite clear). In exactly the same way as if they got in a car with a drunk driver and were badly injured in a crash, whoever sold the driver alcohol would be the only ones to blame. End of the day, it's always somebody else's fault. Sod personal responsibility, just find someone else to blame for your "friend" lacking basic common sense.

Grow up.

The wonders of a competent government and a nation of people who will listen to instruction and follow the guidelines.

It’s way too easy to say Australia is well run without looking at how they got heir numbers down and how people would have reacted to that approach in Ireland.

They took an extreme approach compared to Ireland. They were in full lockdown for months with very low numbers.

Take Melbourne for example. They had a proper test and trace system where they were able to actually trace most cases and outbrakes. People in Ireland complained that the government were spying on everyone and it’s ridiculous and didn’t really take part.

They cut off all travel. See what happened at Christmas where people came from the UK when Kent Covid was a big concern.

They imposed big fines, on the spot, which were actually enforceable and collected. People in Ireland would sh1t if there were fines and they’d go bananas if they couldn’t evade them.

They closed hospitality for months when the numbers were still very low. They waited until they had almost no transmission in the community and they could track every case. Then they reopened fully.

And even though it was well done? Did the people support it? No. According to a friend in Melbourne, the premier is going to lose his majority as a result of doing the right thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Squiggle

From August 2 to midnight Dec 26 last year 6483 Covid outbreaks were attributable to Private houses and 19 were attributable to Public houses. In fact combined outbreaks for those dates for Hotels ,B and Bs, restaurant/ cafes and pubs was 79.

Page 4. https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-19outbreaksclustersinireland/COVID-19%20Weekly%20Outbreak%20Report_Week522020_v0.1_29122020_WebVersion.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Christ on a bike.

Take up fictional writing, you are wasted here.

Smashes the top of the 2021 Boards charts of something that was posted that never actually happened.

Squiggle wrote: »
    From August 2 to midnight Dec 26 last year almost 6483 Covid outbreaks were attributable to Private houses and 19 were attributable to Public houses. In fact combined outbreaks for those dates for Hotels ,B and Bs, restaurant/ cafes and pubs was 79.

Page 4. https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-19outbreaksclustersinireland/COVID-19%20Weekly%20Outbreak%20Report_Week522020_v0.1_29122020_WebVersion.pdf

Yeah but the Irish test and trace system is a joke. They catch all the cases transmitted in the home because they’re the easy ones. They haven’t a clue when it comes to harder to trace cases.

My work briefly involved working with the UK test and trace system and it’s the same. It’s a token gesture at tracing. So they can get the case sin the home and can’t trace the vast majority of cases.

If they attribute 19 cases to pubs in these time, that doesn’t mean they’re were only 19 cases in the pub. It means they CONFIRMED 19 cases in the pub. And they are two very different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

Squiggle wrote: »
    From August 2 to midnight Dec 26 last year 6483 Covid outbreaks were attributable to Private houses and 19 were attributable to Public houses. In fact combined outbreaks for those dates for Hotels ,B and Bs, restaurant/ cafes and pubs was 79.

How did it get into the private houses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭PommieBast

My work briefly involved working with the UK test and trace system and it’s the same. It’s a token gesture at tracing. So they can get the case sin the home and can’t trace the vast majority of cases.
    The UK T&T was a text-book example of corruption. I am told that it has now cost the equivalent of the defence budget.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

How did it get into the private houses?

Someone left the back door open

PommieBast wrote: »
    The UK T&T was a text-book example of corruption. I am told that it has now cost the equivalent of the defence budget.

Well, that’s not true. But it was bad. The interim report before Christmas put the test and trace cost at £12bn and the trace side is still a joke. Defence is nearly £100bn so not comparable.

Their test programme is pretty good. Not excellent and not publicly available, mass testing where people without symptoms can get a test on the way to work as a precaution, but not bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

How are all the people who were joking about Tony Holohan's concernometer and blasting NPHET for having the gall to tell the government what would happen??

All the lads who were hopping mad that they weren't allowed go to a humid, dirty auld old man pub and swamp pints for the night.

Hopefully you have the good sense to admit ye were wrong and Tony was right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

It’s way too easy to say Australia is well run without looking at how they got heir numbers down and how people would have reacted to that approach in Ireland.

They took an extreme approach compared to Ireland. They were in full lockdown for months with very low numbers.

Take Melbourne for example. They had a proper test and trace system where they were able to actually trace most cases and outbrakes. People in Ireland complained that the government were spying on everyone and it’s ridiculous and didn’t really take part.

They cut off all travel. See what happened at Christmas where people came from the UK when Kent Covid was a big concern.

They imposed big fines, on the spot, which were actually enforceable and collected. People in Ireland would sh1t if there were fines and they’d go bananas if they couldn’t evade them.

They closed hospitality for months when the numbers were still very low. They waited until they had almost no transmission in the community and they could track every case. Then they reopened fully.

And even though it was well done? Did the people support it? No. According to a friend in Melbourne, the premier is going to lose his majority as a result of doing the right thing.

They took an extreme approach and it worked, their country is safe. Our lads have acted the prick for most of the last 9-10 months and pussy footed around and look where we are.

I know what situation i would prefer.

Well, that’s not true. But it was bad. The interim report before Christmas put the test and trace cost at £12bn and the trace side is still a joke. Defence is nearly £100bn so not comparable.
    Decided to check the figures. The 2020-21 defence budget is £55bn. Cost of trace-and-trace is now £22bn (it was £10bn back in July). Certainly looks like corruption to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Weren't the government found guilty of breaching human rights by restricting some people to their homes with no notice?

They took an extreme approach and it worked, their country is safe. Our lads have acted the prick for most of the last 9-10 months and pussy footed around and look where we are.

We aren't really comparable with Australia for obvious reasons. Every country in Europe is struggling at the moment. Our lads haven't acted the prick at all, they've a different set of variables to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

How are all the people who were joking about Tony Holohan's concernometer and blasting NPHET for having the gall to tell the government what would happen??

All the lads who were hopping mad that they weren't allowed go to a humid, dirty auld old man pub and swamp pints for the night.

Hopefully you have the good sense to admit ye were wrong and Tony was right.

Yet Holohan didn't demand that international travel be all but shut down.

Now 25% of our cases are the Kent strain. And considering that isn't even the biggest strain in England, you can bet that the bulk of the rest of our spread is from people returning from Britain. I see that they no longer keep falling back on the "2% travel" bollix they were putting out in August and September, a time when if we enforced Australian style rules we could have killed this thing off. And yes, that would involve shutting the Northern border. So what.

Truckers who interact little to nothing with the Irish public during their stay would have caused little to no risk if controls on their conduct while in the country were put in place (no dining inside restaurants for one)

Not to mention, in the last few days hundreds, perhaps thousands, of people will return infected from East European states with higher rates than we have.

Holohan is a spoofer, his clashes on policy with the government are little more than smoke and mirrors.

The summer gave them a reputation for calling wolf, and once they got that it was game over.

• Advertisement

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Weren't the government found guilty of breaching human rights by restricting some people to their homes with no notice?
    I think it was more to do with them standing their own citizens overseas.

The summer gave them a reputation for calling wolf, and once they got that it was game over.

When each and every international expert, Fauci and the like, were calling the results of the first vaccine in early November, terms like revolutionary, a game changer, the beginning of the end, Holohan and De Gascun were using terms like caution, warning, careful.

It was at that point I realised they truly are addicted to the misery of it all.

Few friends sent me videos of the nightlife in Australia recently. To say I was envious would be an understatement! Only positive is that if it's happening in other parts of the world, it will happen here...eventually. But, as you say, more important hurdles lie ahead.
    The wonders of a competent government and a nation of people who will listen to instruction and follow the guidelines.
    Don't forget the rather authoritarian system of on-the-spot fines they have. Brother used to live out there and dog fouling wlil land you a $500 fine. Strictly enforced and not means-tested.

Thing is, Australia has for too long hard the over reaching arm of the state poking into their citizen's business. It is a place of bizarre contrasts.

For a start, it isn't as if they have an unwavering respect for the rules like, say, Germans seem to. Over there drink driving is part of the national culture, efforts to curb it are seen as power mad police, a state revenue collection system, a bit like how we treat speeding or the TV licence. There is zero societal stigma to drink driving re killing other people like there is in Ireland.

One one hand, you can get fined for activities like jay walking. In pubs, marshals can order you to drink a bottle of water and take a time out from drinking for 30 minutes, while 10 feet away a regular is dancing on the tables.

You can approach a railway station barrier and see sniffer dogs there, primarily intended for the detection of miniscule amounts of recreational drugs. Walk outside the train station and in the foyer you will regularly encounter drunken, meth abusing street people intimidating passers by and throwing bottles, the police will seldom to never respond to it. In fact it is almost unheard of to see police on foot patrol on the main streets of the major cities, unstable junkies just roam the streets throwing things and roaring as passers by. O'Connell St is like something out of Dubai in comparison and that is no exaggeration (although O'Connell St problems are vastly exaggerated anyway. A better example would be that George St, the main thoroughfare in Sydney, would have activity down the top end that would be worse than what you see on Talbot St and Wood Quay, probably because meth is a more energetic and mentally damaging drug than heroin)

In city centres security guards in the likes of takeaways are pretty much unheard of. If you sit in a central Sydney McDonalds it isn't unusual to be asked for money or to see somebody passed out on heroin in the toilets. It doesn't cause any sort of moral panic, that is just how society is there.

I fully agree, if we had implemented the Australian system- mandatory border quarantine, laws over advisories, heavy fines that were actually enforced- this thing would have been killed off by last June.

But I wouldn't like to live under the Australian system in my day to day life.

I think it was more to do with them standing their own citizens overseas.

It wasn't just that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-55342990

Imagine the government here doing that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Only in Melbourne, the other 80% of the country were living close to normal, I live in Sydney and there are restrictions like face masks etc but everything has been open since June mostly at about 75% capacity indoors other parts of NSW are back to pre-covid levels. Queensland and WA are back to pre-covid levels.

During April and May NSW closed all hospitality and entertainment but retail and takeaway remained open, they opened up in June and its been running ever since so in all 10 weeks at the start while we seen what the virus can do and how to handle it.

Melbourne being the most European city took it literally and followed the European approach that's why they went to lockdown because they went full retard.

People are compliant because the politicians say if you don't comply you end up like Europe. My parents and brother live in Ireland and he says he is over living like rat... I dont want to live like a rat so I put on the mask, still go out to restaurants, cinema, theatre etc more or less do everything I did pre-covid only a little different but its no real problem.

Would people vote for the government who took an extreme approach? I really don’t think Ireland would appreciate it.

People have to consent to be led. Look at the last few pages where people argue that pubs aren’t a covid danger, misunderstanding the situation no matter how many times it’s explained to them.

The culture and mindset of the people as a whole has to be considered. Irish people wouldn’t consent to be ruled like that. You can hope a politician will sacrifice their career by doing ye right thing in spite of the will of the people, but you can’t expect a politician to do that. The safest seat in the country is Michael Lowry. We don’t reward politicians who do the right thing. We reward politicians who tell us what we want to hear (and then go onto lockdown when there’s absolutely no choice as we’re doing right now)

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Only in Melbourne, the other 80% of the country were living close to normal, I live in Sydney and there are restrictions like face masks etc but everything has been open since June mostly at about 75% capacity indoors other parts of NSW are back to pre-covid levels. Queensland and WA are back to pre-covid levels.

During April and May NSW closed all hospitality and entertainment but retail and takeaway remained open, they opened up in June and its been running ever since so in all 10 weeks at the start while we seen what the virus can do and how to handle it.

Melbourne being the most European city took it literally and followed the European approach that's why they went to lockdown because they went full retard.

People are compliant because the politicians say if you don't comply you end up like Europe. My parents and brother live in Ireland and he says he is over living like rat... I dont want to live like a rat so I put on the mask, still go out to restaurants, cinema, theatre etc more or less do everything I did pre-covid only a little different but its no real problem.

How have the other states kept numbers so low without going “full retard”?

Mandatory 14 day quarantine in a hotel, paid for out of your own pocket.

Our second, slow building wave was re imported in August by people going on holidays to Spain and mixing with UK holidaymakers, as well as people bringing it back from the likes of Romania (why was the first major summer outbreak in Ireland in meat plants do you think).

It went from these locations to the schools, spread in the schools back into the households.

But Commander Tony blames the pubs. It is quite simple- if we had not allowed people to engage in non essential travel over the summer we would likely be dealing with about a dozen cases per week since July, if that. The only thing still shut would, possibly, be nightclubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Tazz T

And yes, that would involve shutting the Northern border. So what.

That's a ridiculous thing to say. It would not involve shutting down the Northern border if the two jurisdictions worked together.

You might as well say: 'And yes, that would involve creating a united ireland. So what.'

Tazz T wrote: »
    That's a ridiculous thing to say. It would not involve shutting down the Northern border if the two jurisdictions worked together.

You might as well say: 'And yes, that would involve creating a united ireland. So what.'

No point in shutting the Northern border when our government would never in a thousand years alienate the EU by shutting our border with them.

Remember in the first wave, Slovakia wouldn't even let their own citizens back into the country let alone other EU citizens. Imagine our lot having the balls to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

There's about 6500 arrivals per week and they all go into quarantine, virus is trapped in hotel room. If it escapes you hunt it down.

Melbourne has a leftard government, instead of using the military to secure the hotels Dan Andrews thought it to "confrontational" and had security guards being paid $20/hr who also moonlighted as Uber drivers. These guys were letting travelers out to visit 7/11, go for walks etc. Classic Retard stuff.

• Advertisement

No point in shutting the Northern border when our government would never in a thousand years alienate the EU by shutting our border with them.

Remember in the first wave, Slovakia wouldn't even let their own citizens back into the country let alone other EU citizens. Imagine our lot having the balls to do that.
    Imagine our citizens supporting a government who does that...

We have the government we vote for. We train them in how to behave. They evolve to fit our vote. We would not appreciate a government doing things like that, even if it is the right thing to do.

We have the government we vote for. We train them in how to behave. They evolve to fit our vote. We would not appreciate a government doing things like that, even if it is the right thing to do.

Speak for yourself. You wouldn't support stopping a few hundred thousand people taking a summer holiday, to avoid this mess?

We are 19 billion euro in the red. Do you know how many motorways, houses, hospitals that money could have bought?

All because our waste of space government couldn't be bothered stopping foreign travel. Yet I can't legally stall to my mates for a few cans 5km away.

Speak for yourself. You wouldn't support stopping a few hundred thousand people taking a summer holiday, to avoid this mess?

We are 19 billion euro in the red. Do you know how many motorways, houses, hospitals that money could have bought?

All because our waste of space government couldn't be bothered stopping foreign travel. Yet I can't legally stall to my mates for a few cans 5km away.

I’m not speaking for myself. Look around this thread and the others like it. Lots of people think every proactive step the government takes is a step too far. There were posters in this thread in December calling for pubs to reopen. Hard to imagine that people were so far off the mark but they won’t admit they were wrong.

The fact that Michael Lowry is the safest politician in the country shows you that we don’t vote for politicians who make right choices

I’m not speaking for myself. Look around this thread and the others like it. Lots of people think every proactive step the government takes is a step too far. There were posters in this thread in December calling for pubs to reopen. Hard to imagine that people were so far off the mark but they won’t admit they were wrong.

The fact that Michael Lowry is the safest politician in the country shows you that we don’t vote for politicians who make right choices

If they never opened the food pubs in December, the cases would still be through the roof. People were always going to mix at Christmas in private homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Would i have made a severe sacrifice for 2-3 months to wipe this thing out rather than what we have now? Absolutely.

As it stands, I have lost my job which I have trained for years to get to the level I was at. There's no light at the end of that particular tunnel so I have instead started in a near minimum wage job in a completely unrelated field to ensure me and my family have an income.

My kids are missing out on their school and social lives again which is entirely unfair on them.

My wife has had a family member die in a nursing home through no fault of her own. We didn't even get to have a proper funeral and say our goodbyes.

Hundreds of thousands of people are in similar situations so yes, I think, with hindsight the majority of the country would have been OK with sacrificing back at the start of all this. Anyone who wouldn't is a moron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Closing off licences for 2/3 weeks might help things

Are pubs still allowed do take away pints?

Closing off licences for 2/3 weeks might help things

Are pubs still allowed do take away pints?

They are right now but that will be stopped very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yeah but the Irish test and trace system is a joke. They catch all the cases transmitted in the home because they’re the easy ones. They haven’t a clue when it comes to harder to trace cases.

If they attribute 19 cases to pubs in these time, that doesn’t mean they’re were only 19 cases in the pub. It means they CONFIRMED 19 cases in the pub. And they are two very different things.
    And "Community Transmission" is basically they didn't go back far enough to find the source. It's only 48 hours here.

I really don't get why people buy into the whole household transmission = house parties (so close the off licences) either. I'd fully expect if one of my household got Covid, the rest of the house would go down with it too, despite not hosting or going to a house party!

Pcgamer wrote: »
    No its not. GAA clubs don't allow dogs on their grounds whatsoever.

My local GAA club like many others has a public walkway including for dog walkers inside the perimeter of its grounds and all dogs have to be kept on a lead. I never stated that dogs were ever allowed on the playing pitches if that`s what you are getting at.

fin12 wrote: »
    The data is with all the dog ****e from his local GAA grounds....

Ha ha, hilarious..................not.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement