Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,559 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Closing off licences for 2/3 weeks might help things

Are pubs still allowed do take away pints?

Do people think that the only thing being consumed at house parties is alcohol??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭hynesie08

They are right now but that will be stopped very soon.

On what grounds would they be able to stop them??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

They are right now but that will be stopped very soon.

Looks like you got your wish: https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0106/1187945-coronavirus-blog/

No publican should be selling take-away pints - Taoiseach Micheál Martin.

— Fergal Bowers (@FergalBowers) January 6, 2021

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Pcgamer

Do you realize what would happen if they closed off licenses?

Over health care system would be more overloaded than covid numbers by a huge percentage. There would be thousands upon thousands in hospital who would have to detox under medical supervision.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Let`s hope it will be properly enforced this time. Needs to be a strict crackdown on shebeens as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,311 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

No he didn't, no change listed anywhere on gov.ie and was followed up at the press conference

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1346868507644977155?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

By help things do you mean overwhelm hospitals even more??

Pcgamer wrote: »
    Do you realize what would happen if they closed off licenses? Over health care system would be more overloaded than covid numbers by a huge percentage. There would be thousands upon thousands in hospital who would have to detox under medical supervision.

I can imagine the chaos if Mehole Martin announced that, you'd have the shelves of every off-licence stripped in minutes... plus the sale of alcohol will go into the black market(like a lot of other things)... trips over the border too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Pcgamer

I can imagine the chaos if Mehole Martin announced that, you'd have the shelves of every off-licence stripped in minutes... plus the sale of alcohol will go into the black market(like a lot of other things)... trips over the border too....

Suicide rates would skyrocket as well, break ins everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Pcgamer wrote: »
    Over health care system would be more overloaded than covid numbers by a huge percentage. There would be thousands upon thousands in hospital who would have to detox under medical supervision.
    You'll also have those who will end up drinking IPA cocktails and bathtub gin..

No he didn't, no change listed anywhere on gov.ie and was followed up at the press conference

How many businesses will go against that request, how many of them want to ignore the "request" in the face of high case numbers? Very few if any i'd say...

How many businesses will go against that request, how many of them want to ignore the "request" in the face of high case numbers? Very few if any i'd say...

Any that do need to be named and shamed, The time for the kid gloves approach is over. A zero tolerance policy is what is needed.

Any that do need to be named and shamed, The time for the kid gloves approach is over. A zero tolerance policy is what is needed.

Don't worry, i'm sure that will happen now.

Don't worry, i'm sure that will happen now.

Hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

How about people put their dependence on alcohol on the back burner so we can all get back to living normal lives again, you know, personal responsibility.

Of course we can't do that.

Of all the faults we have as a people, the need to get p1ssed at all times is our least endearing.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Named and shamed for doing something perfectly legal?? FFS, the thread has jumped the shark.

nullzero wrote: »
    How about people put their dependence on alcohol on the back burner so we can all get back to living normal lives again, you know, personal responsibility.

Of all the faults we have as a people, the need to get p1ssed at all times is our least endearing.

Us damn Irish alcos. We’re the only ones having parties/annoyed at the pubs being closed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55513167

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0102/1187321-france-rave/

https://www.euronews.com/2021/01/04/czechs-wave-empty-beer-mugs-in-covid-19-lockdown-protest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭McCrack

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Genuinely can't tell if this is trolling or not. But I hope for the sake of the poster that it is. Otherwise that assertion is a sad reflection on his/her outlook on society.

°°°°°

Genuinely can't tell if this is trolling or not. But I hope for the sake of the poster that it is. Otherwise that assertion is a sad reflection on his/her outlook on society.

Do you think the throngs of people getting pissed on the streets during the last lockdown was a good thing?

All we need to do collectively is have a little bit of cop on, leave the boozing aside for a short time, but we can't do it.

Whatever goes on in other jurisdictions isn't of any concern to is in relation to how we behave ourselves.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Do you think the throngs of people getting pissed on the streets during the last lockdown was a good thing?

All we need to do collectively is have a little bit of cop on, leave the boozing aside for a short time, but we can't do it.

Whatever goes on in other jurisdictions isn't of any concern to is in relation to how we behave ourselves.

All we need to do is not drink in groups or mix unless we have to such as food shopping or doing essential work. Picking a fight about people drinking too much is beside the point. People drinking in their own household is no risk to anyone. Gathering to drink inside or outside the pub is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1346868507644977155?s=19

I can guarantee you if I want a takeaway pint any night this week, I'll be able to get as many as I want. Some great value too, some pubs are doing them for considerably less than a normal pint.

All we need to do is not drink in groups or mix unless we have to such as food shopping or doing essential work. Picking a fight about people drinking too much is beside the point. People drinking in their own household is no risk to anyone. Gathering to drink inside or outside the pub is the problem.

How is having an outdoor pint a problem? It’s pretty much a given now that the virus doesn’t spread outside.

How is having an outdoor pint a problem? It’s pretty much a given now that the virus doesn’t spread outside.

Drinking outside is a problem now...

....you'll get Frostbite! :D

°°°°°

Pretty much what I'm saying.

Glazers Out!

You quoted what I actually said then ignored what I actually said. I didn’t say having an outdoor pint is a problem I did say “ All we need to do is not drink in groups or mix unless we have to such as...”. The gathering and mixing in groups, is the problem.

Is it a given that the virus can’t spread outside? If people don’t gather in groups, and don’t mix groups and maintain distance, then I’m sure outside is very low risk. That’s not how people behave in reality in pubs or if you move the pub outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I'll drink to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Leo on radio 1 today saying should have all vulnerable , nurseing home and frontline medics vaccinated by Mid to late March, then rest of over 70s by June. He was very close to saying life should be back to normal then. I suppose there going to be a hell of a row over wet pubs , gigs , comedy shows , theatre and open air concerts and crowds at matches then.

I really cant see NYPHET allowing unrestricted events like theatre, nightclubs, gigs, etc. i suppose of they dont let them open then all bets are off , could be 2022 before they open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Dickie10 wrote: »
    Leo on radio 1 today saying should have all vulnerable , nurseing home and frontline medics vaccinated by Mid to late March, then rest of over 70s by June. He was very close to saying life should be back to normal then. I suppose there going to be a hell of a row over wet pubs , gigs , comedy shows , theatre and open air concerts and crowds at matches then.

I really cant see NYPHET allowing unrestricted events like theatre, nightclubs, gigs, etc. i suppose of they dont let them open then all bets are off , could be 2022 before they open

I don't see the need for a row over anything. If the vulnerable are vaccinated, and if the vaccine works, then logic says that the number of deaths and hospital admission will in turn fall to minimal.

And if that happens then there will be zero justification for any restrictions whatsoever.

They brought in restrictions because of the numbers, they should take them away because of the numbers. And if they don't it will be clear evidence of who and what they really are.

Of course we all know that they didn't relax the restrictions last summer when deaths were at zero, so trust that they do the right thing is low, but with the vaccine now released they will have even less justification for their agenda this time around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

That's shockingly slow progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,115 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

They need to think of the economy. Imagine the money the Euros games and now even a potential Lions test match not to mention concerts (which sadly could be cancelled/rescheduled by the artists themselves more so than a government decision)

No doubt other European countries will do everything in there power to get back to normal. I for one don't want a repeat of last summer with us more or less closed while our European/UK counterparts were going about their business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭emmalynn19

GazzaL wrote: »
    I can guarantee you if I want a takeaway pint any night this week, I'll be able to get as many as I want. Some great value too, some pubs are doing them for considerably less than a normal pint.

Did you know they sell beer in closed vessels such as cans and bottles now? Keeps the beer fresh, all the carbonation inside, and makes beer real easy to handle and transport - its an incredible invention really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Of course we all know that they didn't relax the restrictions last summer when deaths were at zero, so trust that they do the right thing is low, but with the vaccine now released they will have even less justification for their agenda this time around.
    As I have said previously I don't believe this leopard will change its spots. September 2021 at the earliest is my guess. Of course I also expect most publicans to have gone bust by then.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    They need to think of the economy. Imagine the money the Euros games and now even a potential Lions test match not to mention concerts (which sadly could be cancelled/rescheduled by the artists themselves more so than a government decision)

No doubt other European countries will do everything in there power to get back to normal. I for one don't want a repeat of last summer with us more or less closed while our European/UK counterparts were going about their business

Even with the vaccines life will not be back to normal by next summer either here or in any other European country. Spring 2022 is best case scenario for anything approaching that to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭emmalynn19

If 60% of pubs are going bust Im going to buy a pub this year

I don't see the need for a row over anything. If the vulnerable are vaccinated, and if the vaccine works, then logic says that the number of deaths and hospital admission will in turn fall to minimal.

And if that happens then there will be zero justification for any restrictions whatsoever.

They brought in restrictions because of the numbers, they should take them away because of the numbers. And if they don't it will be clear evidence of who and what they really are.

Completely untrue.

That’s wishful thinking but it’s just not how things work. The vulnerable being vaccinated is good but it doesn’t mean we can go back to normal. If we go back to normal then the virus would rip through the country, and they can’t and won’t allow that to happen.

There will still be distancing measures and masks in place when only the over 70s and vulnerable people are vaccinated.

Until almost the entire population is vaccinated, there will be need for distancing and masks. The hospitals being overrun is the biggest single risk, but it’s not the only reason to prevent covid spreading. I’d say success would be this time next year, most things stay open with distancing and masks but without need for a lockdowns.

Wishing that everything would go back to normal when the over 70s and vulnerable are vaccinated is grand if it makes you feel better, but it’s not realistic.

Such a slow vaccine roll out. Why are we so crap at everything? :mad:

Seeing as you think you could do better maybe you should get the job buddy,:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Japan aren’t even starting vaccinations until next month. What exactly are you expecting?

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Japan aren’t even starting vaccinations until next month. What exactly are you expecting?

Japanese people have a different view on Vaccinations historically...

Whereas Irish people will run to the nearest clinc with sleeves rolled up to get the first jab that comes along...

So not a fair comparison or an excuse for Ireland's poor performance on vaccine rollout.... A more realistic comparison would be Denmark..
    1,800 Irish people had been immunised, according to Our World in Data, compared with more than 40,000 in Denmark, a country with a slightly bigger population than our own.

Seeing as you think you could do better maybe you should get the job buddy,:rolleyes:

1.3m have already been jabbed in the UK.

Over 1m jabs given by Israel.

This is a 'deadly' virus, we were told. Meanwhile we plod along with the vaccine, hoping to get a tiny percentage of our population, over 70s, done by the end of March!!

Japanese people have a different view on Vaccinations historically...

Whereas Irish people will run to the nearest clinc with sleeves rolled up to get the first jab that comes along...

So not a fair comparison or an excuse for Ireland's poor performance on vaccine rollout.... A more realistic comparison would be Denmark..

They’re still vaccinating though so obviously recognise the need for it.

RTE headline at the moment says 15000 have received the vaccine here.

It has to be well organised.

It sounds like you could just walk down the street jabbing everyone in sight, but t he reality is different. The vaccine has to be considered by the individual, they have to under what they’re consenting to and they have to be recorded. They need to know who has had it so they can chase down the people who haven’t had it yet.

It will definitely be slower than you think. Giving blood always takes longer than you expect because there’s a very important bureaucracy involved. It has to be don’t accurately and that will always take time.

This is a 'deadly' virus, we were told. Meanwhile we plod along with the vaccine, hoping to get a tiny percentage of our population, over 70s, done by the end of March!!

How are we compared to other EU countries? As I understand it, UK and Israel were in very early and we had to wait until the EU started purchasing. If we’re worse than other EU countries, do you know why?

• Advertisement

How are we compared to other EU countries? As I understand it, UK and Israel were in very early and we had to wait until the EU started purchasing. If we’re worse than other EU countries, do you know why?

Someone gave the numbers for Denmark above, so that argument is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

OK, so we are behind the countries you named.
    That doesn't necessarily mean we are 'plodding along'.
    We seem to be (per capita) ahead of France, whilst The Netherlands isn't starting until tomorrow.

Someone gave the numbers for Denmark above, so that argument is gone.

According to RTE, the number of Irish vaccinations quoted above is wrong.

How are the rest of the EU doing in comparison to us? It's 27 countries so if only 1 is doing better then we're doing alright. I suspect it's probably more but I don't know. But before criticising, you need to know that much and understand if there are any mitigating factors.

Otherwise, you're just sticking the boot in for the sake of it trying to sound superior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Completely untrue.

They didn’t open the pubs till end of August so ya the summer was gone. September is autumn.

According to RTE, the number of Irish vaccinations quoted above is wrong.

How are the rest of the EU doing in comparison to us? It's 27 countries so if only 1 is doing better then we're doing alright. I suspect it's probably more but I don't know. But before criticising, you need to know that much and understand if there are any mitigating factors.

Otherwise, you're just sticking the boot in for the sake of it trying to sound superior.

Of course, Paddyland is suppressing our numbers, so hard to see where we are. I'm guessing just ahead of Holland, given the lack of publicity we're seeing.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/01/03/coronavirus-which-european-country-is-fastest-at-rolling-out-the-vaccine

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement