Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

GooglePlus wrote: »
    This is a serious public health risk. If I keep eating food every time I go for a pint, I'll explode.

Actually that's true. For last few Friday's I've been eating a second curry at 10pm to satisfy the rules cos I can't wait until then to have my tea!

No wonder I'm putting on weight!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

GazzaL wrote: »
    I know a few lads who ordered some €9 immunity toasted sandwiches before the Liverpool match during the week, but they didn't eat them. Should they self-isolate for 14 days?

Why are people so against eating :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Has any health expert come out and explain the food thing

Its doesn't stop people getting drunk
    Do you honestly not realise why these laws have been in place for 50+ years? why do you think they are in law? The one about children being on the presmises too?

Have you never heard the phrase "eating is cheating?"

It is extremely well recognised that it would stop people getting drunk. I have been on many stags where lads will go eat specifically so they will not get too drunk. I know many who would also refuse food as it would meant they would not get as drunk.

If I had the desire to get to a certain blood alcohol level, and had to eat substantial meals every time I would be a lot fatter than I am. I would have excess calories not only from the food but I would have to drink a lot more too, so more calories there too.

When I was young my mother and other lads mothers would always be trying to get us to eat food before heading out, specifically to try and stop us getting as drunk. I always figures this was completely common knowledge.
    hetuzozaho wrote: »
    could be "eating is cheating" types, or worried about their waistline.

from 1988
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/seanad/1988-05-26/4/
    Every effort should be made to ensure that no restrictions are put on publicans in providing food and that they are playing on the same level playing pitch as the restaurants. Subject to restrictions of hygiene, fire and so forth, they should be given every encouragement to develop along these lines. This is very important, from a health point of view. The more people are encouraged to eat and drink together, the less is the likelihood of people becoming drunk. One of the great problems with drink in the past was that people would start drinking on an empty stomach. There was no food available. Even a few sandwiches would make all the difference. Anything which does that is very welcome.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_offences/alcohol_and_the_law.html
    Children (anyone under the age of 18) are only allowed in licensed premises if they are with a parent or guardian, but this provision carries certain restrictions. For example, if accompanied by a parent/guardian, the child may remain on the premises between the hours of 10:30am - 9pm (until 10pm from May to September) unless the licence holder feels this is injurious to the child's health, safety and welfare. Children aged between 15 and 17 years may remain on the premises after 9pm where they are attending a private function at which a substantial meal is served. All licensed premises must display a sign to this effect in a prominent place at all times and failure to do so can result in a fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

hetuzozaho wrote: »

I'm not against eating while drinking. I just think the current rules are absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

2 weeks till D day but ya know it will be pushed back and the amount of anger on this forum will be crazy

Just open up pubs and make them do table service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

GooglePlus wrote: »
    This is a serious public health risk. If I keep eating food every time I go for a pint, I'll explode.

We might have to do the “twelve steaks of Christmas “

I'm not against eating while drinking. I just think the current rules are absurd.

Ha fair enough. I just thought the lads buying the sandwiches and not eating them was odd :) Seems to be common enough. Odd.

Places should offer take away, Pay for whatever food you want and they wrap it up, take it home with you when you're going

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Places should offer take away, Pay for whatever food you want and they wrap it up, take it home with you when you're going

My pal did that in a hotel in Galway the other night, they wouldn't serve him without food after being out for 3 "meals" earlier in the day, he ordered 2 paninis for him and the missus and they kept them for brekky the next morning... :)

Most places will do that for you anyway if you've not finished and want to bring it with you I find. Whenever we've asked anyway.

• Advertisement

only dawned on me that Aug 10th was also the final day of reopening on the original roadmap

Think the government need to grow some balls and just open, we will have to do it someday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

only dawned on me that Aug 10th was also the final day of reopening on the original roadmap

Think the government need to grow some balls and just open, we will have to do it someday

yep +1 , there is actually no evidence that pubs in Ireland will be so called super spreaders , as they actually shutdown first so no evidence or facts , it's health officials that have an anti alcohol agenda telling us what to do , ****ing crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

yep +1 , there is actually no evidence that pubs in Ireland will be so called super spreaders , as they actually shutdown first so no evidence or facts , it's health officials that have an anti alcohol agenda telling us what to do , ****ing crazy

I agree with the Anti Alcohol rhetoric from NPHET..
    They need to push on especially after releasing the schools roadmap.
    It still all comes down to personal responsibility from all people young and old. Parents need to step up and get their kids into a routine for hand washing and sanitising, sneeze and cough etiquette.
    I’m on holidays from the 8th of August for two weeks..........................

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I don't think it's so much anti alcohol but class snobbery. Leo can go to one of his favourite haunts that has been open for a month at this point and send us all photos of same over social media, but you in your small local cannot be trusted and must be stopped from harming everyone else.

The same **** moaning about the pubs will be the first ones on a plane out of here to wherever catches their fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I agree.

All alcohol sales should be banned in the food serving pubs. When public health allows for safe consumption of alcohol, in indoor locations, all pubs should be allowed sell it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Off topic posts deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭firemansam4

And it's the poxy kids that will spread this **** all over the kip. and 40% of new cases are travel , don't have the balls to stop flights

Poxy kids?

Children have suffered massively due to missed education and need to get back to school ASAP.

But no you have a few people here that can not wait a bit longer for a few drinks down there local, and think that its not fair on them that kids might get back to school first?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Poxy kids?

Children have suffered massively due to missed education and need to get back to school ASAP.

But no you have a few people here that can not wait a bit longer for a few drinks down there local, and think that its not fair on them that kids might get back to school first?
    Back to school asap and out of their mother and father's hair I would say.

A lot of these parents have already resumed somewhat normality where they are inviting their friends to birthday parties. I'm sure they're also taking advantage of the outlets already open too such as gyms, restaurants and shops. Which is fine and exactly what I want, people getting to do the things that helps retain their sanity....but by doing all these things, the threat of a surge is already there.

Pubs being reopen won't change that as people are congregating elsewhere. It is not pubs alone that will derail the return of education so can you explain to me what you think should happen if there is a surge before the one we expect in winter? When do you think it's safe to reopen pubs? Would you do it on August 10th?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Back to school asap and out of their mother and father's hair I would say.

Well this may be the case for some parents but not all.
    It does not take away from the fact that for some children they are suffering substantially due to missing school, especially children with special needs or who require extra help at school.
    A lot of these parents have already resumed somewhat normality where they are inviting their friends to birthday parties. I'm sure they're also taking advantage of the outlets already open too such as gyms, restaurants and shops. Which is fine and exactly what I want, people getting to do the things that helps retain their sanity....but by doing all these things, the threat of a surge is already there.

I don't know any who have organised any parties? But that's just me.
    Pubs being reopen won't change that as people are congregating elsewhere. It is not pubs alone that will derail the return of education so can you explain to me what you think should happen if there is a surge before the one we expect in winter? When do you think it's safe to reopen pubs? Would you do it on August 10th?

We can't shut down everything again the lockdown has had untold damage to the economy and its going to have a massive impact on missed diagnosis of cancer patients ect. We simply can't go back to another lockdown again. So we need to do what we can with as least damage to the economy and society as possible.

Now we are doing that in taking precautions with wearing masks and social distancing and other safety and hygiene measures.

We know this virus spreads in large crowded areas indoors and crowded pubs is the ideal scenario for this virus to spread.
    It is not essential to open pubs back up and I believe we can wait a bit longer for them to open back up.
    It is increasingly looking likely that a vaccine could be ready early next year so maybe they should stay closed until then. Christmas will be a disaster if there is a second wave around that period.
    BTW I don't have an agenda against pubs, I enjoy going out for a drink myself, I just think we can go a bit longer without them if it means we can help stay off a second wave of this virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

id say you would be into al sorts of legal issues if you didnt let pubs open for something they didnt contribute at all to. your effectivley banning one type of business for nothing, id say it will take some balls for the government to not open phase 4 on 10 august. of course that will mean cinemas and nightclubs open as well. i dont think they can pulll them out of phase 4 for no reason either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Dickie10 wrote: »
    id say you would be into al sorts of legal issues if you didnt let pubs open for something they didnt contribute at all to. your effectivley banning one type of business for nothing, id say it will take some balls for the government to not open phase 4 on 10 august. of course that will mean cinemas and nightclubs open as well. i dont think they can pulll them out of phase 4 for no reason either.

Cinemas can already open

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Neowise

We know this virus spreads in large crowded areas indoors and crowded pubs is the ideal scenario for this virus to spread.
    It is not essential to open pubs back up and I believe we can wait a bit longer for them to open back up.

Opening pubs back up does not mean crowded pubs. If pubs are allowed to reopen, they will have to follow social distancing guidelines, just like every other business that has been allowed to open back up. If any pub does not follow the guidelines, then that individual pub can be forcefully closed due to health and safety risks.
    It is not essential to open churches back up, but yet they have been reopened up for weeks.

seems odd alright that you wouldnt even give pubs the chance to operate safely, you would imagine nightclub owners would be within their rights to complain on legal grounds if they cant open on august 10th too, surely you give them the chance to open on restricted numbers is it 200 indoors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

I live In a large town. Pubs and nightclubs are back to normal for the last couple of weeks. Pissed people falling out of them every night. The nightclub has the rave music blaring top volume until closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭showpony1

Neowise wrote: »
    Opening pubs back up does not mean crowded pubs. If pubs are allowed to reopen, they will have to follow social distancing guidelines, just like every other business that has been allowed to open back up.

Agreed - unless going to a pub to watch sports they will remain to be ****e until you can leave your table while there etc.

who said cinemas were safe? are they letting 100 people in?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

That's easily solved, open pubs but put a freeze on late licences.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

no way are night clubs opening up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

who said cinemas were safe? are they letting 100 people in?

they are allowed 50 max during this phase 3 and 100 if phase 4 goes ahead. Have to be seated with 2 metre distancing etc. if thats applied correctly its as safe as it can be....

• Advertisement

safe as a pub then you would imagine

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement