Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I still think it's crazy that 'wet pubs' haven't just bought a fryer and done like chicken wings. They're really falling behind by not adapting to circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭barbiegirl123

I've bad news for you, there's off on Holidays now for 6 weeks. That means no pubs and they'll be able to dodge the media until 2 weeks into schools reopening.
    I'm very surprised people aren't revolting, suppose it's hard when your wearing a muzzle.
    Pubs will be about the 14th of September I reckon.

I seriously doubt they will open on August the 10th

I've bad news for you, there's off on Holidays now for 6 weeks. That means no pubs and they'll be able to dodge the media until 2 weeks into schools reopening.
    I'm very surprised people aren't revolting, suppose it's hard when your wearing a muzzle.

This can't be true surely theyre not going on holiday?

Everyone of course deserve a holiday but I know supermarket employees who didn't have holidays during this, and I'm sure it was the same for nurses and other front line workers.

How can the leaders of the country go now at a time when we need them the most? The schools opening is going to be a major event and they're off? This is actually crazy!!!

I myself love nights out but i think it would be a very silly decision by the government to allow pubs to reopen. The R number is estimated to be at 1.1 which means the virus isn’t being suppressed

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Please get psychological evaluation if you honestly believe that by opening everything 6 months ago would have been ok

They never said that. People keep jumping to conclusions and reading things which are not being said. And before anybody does the same again I do not agree that they should have opened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

The Cabinet will still be meeting on a weekly basis. They are due to meet next Tuesday to decide if pubs can reopen

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I still think it's crazy that 'wet pubs' haven't just bought a fryer and done like chicken wings. They're really falling behind by not adapting to circumstances

It's complete nonsense this food thing, I was in a pub the other day and wanted to sit outside but they don't serve food outside, so they had to reserve a table for me and my chicken wings inside, so I had 2 tables, one outside and one inside. Had about 3 pints before I was called in for my wings then I went back outside to my sunny table for a couple of hours before we were told we can't have any more were over time. Happy enough getting in a good few scoops but the whole thing is crazy.
    What harm were we doing in the great outdoors, the last place I want to be is inside in a pub when there's a perfectly good beer garden going to waste.

it will all depend on the number of cases from here until tuesday now

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

rob316 wrote: »
    Martin says they wont make a decision until after the NPHET meeting on Tuesday. Its a ****ing joke, that have been given no guidelines and are expected to have staff rehired 5 days before they open. The whole industry has been treated appallingly and been set up as the fall guy when cases rise.

Same wiggle room as last time for the government as last time. I can see them pushing back the reopening lads. Less than a week before the reopening is very unfair just like it was the last time. And I'd say that for any sector. If you want places open safely you can't be leaving them waiting with no guidelines. We might get the rest of the pubs open this side of Christmas the way things are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I can see more pubs doing 'deals' with takeaways. A couple of them nearby have a deal with the chipper or the Indian next door. Food is ordered in the pub and supplied by them. One of the pubs has done a deal with a local pizza place and has a pizza van in the car park. If they do push it past the 10th there might be a few more doing the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I can see more pubs doing 'deals' with takeaways. A couple of them nearby have a deal with the chipper or the Indian next door. Food is ordered in the pub and supplied by them. One of the pubs has done a deal with a local pizza place and has a pizza van in the car park. If they do push it past the 10th there might be a few more doing the same.

They should have been doing it from the beginning if they were interested in opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Can a drink or two drinks be included in the 9 euro meal price and still be within the regulations?

Can a drink or two drinks be included in the 9 euro meal price and still be within the regulations?

No. The 9 euro meal price is mandated in the legislation that underpins the restaurant licence. It is separate to drink sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Oranage2 wrote: »

Because they dont have a restaurant license..... how are people still confused on this?

If the govt blocks pubs opening on Aug 10th. The Vintners should release a statement that all pubs are reopening. Is the govt going to close down every pub in Ireland?

They could try and many would be made an example of but its doubtful they could do all offenders. Also if any pub owner who did this when going for a license renewal should be legitimately worried about the gardai/government objecting.

What they would definitely do is shut the vinters lobbyists out of the dail for at least the remainder of this government.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

What's the bet that we have quite low numbers today, tomorrow and maybe Saturday, then Sunday and Monday they go up to high 20s, 30s, maybe 40s. As if they were being backlogged to spike before Tuesdays meeting.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Because they dont have a restaurant license..... how are people still confused on this?

You don't need one. There is an exemption for non restaurant licence pubs to open if they serve food, even if they haven't done previously. You are the one confused on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭shamrockvilla

Do pubs that have restaurants have to have a restaurant license?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

The requirement for pubs to have a restaurant licence was waived a number of weeks ago. Pubs can now open without a restaurant licence once they serve a meal to the value of 9 euros

Do pubs that have restaurants have to have a restaurant license?

The poster is confused but essentially yes they do. Every year they get an addition on to their pub licence that allows them to serve food. It is a quasi restaurant licence. It also requires planning. There is an exemption at the moment for that addition and planning as long as they serve food.

• Advertisement

What's the bet that we have quite low numbers today, tomorrow and maybe Saturday, then Sunday and Monday they go up to high 20s, 30s, maybe 40s. As if they were being backlogged to spike before Tuesdays meeting.

We wouldnt want the daily figures rising above 15 anyway if we have any chance of the pubs reopening.

Looks like you're the confused one...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Wow, absolutely morto for you mate

joeguevara wrote: »
    You don't need one. There is an exemption for non restaurant licence pubs to open if they serve food, even if they haven't done previously. You are the one confused on this.

Thanks wasnt aware of that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Pubs are open, that's why this is ridiculous. Its just they have to give you food while you drink. Surely the solution is to allow them all to open with the same rules - spacing / booking / table service. But to remove the food requirement as it does nothing for safety

Why would that be in any way more risky than the current situation?

AdamD wrote: »
    Pubs are open, that's why this is ridiculous. Its just they have to give you food while you drink. Surely the solution is to allow them all to open with the same rules - spacing / booking / table service. But to remove the food requirement as it does nothing for safety

yeah maybe people may be able to adhere to guidelines in the pubs, but what happens when they are on the streets afterwards in big groups? not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Again lads, do you honestly think a pub can just whip a deep fat frier in the corner and start selling chips? There are still hoops to jump to, training to be done. Most pubs didn't bother because they thought it was only gonna be a 3 week gap, if they haven't got it sorted by now, they're not going to be sorted by the 10th...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Was in Wexford a couple of weeks ago. The pub owns the chipper next door. We could sit outside, and no worries about food being served outside either. But I wasn't hungry at all. So asked the fella if I could bring the grub home. No problem at all, boxed up and in the oven later, was great.

They did have a booking system but walk ins were ok if there was space. Inside the pub was very dark and kind of full, but with the SD in place all the same. Outside was much better.

I think pubs if they ever reopen will have to work on outside space now, since most of them are like caves, with no fresh air and no windows to speak of. Easy to see how wet pubs could be a source of infection over time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

yeah maybe people may be able to adhere to guidelines in the pubs, but what happens when they are on the streets afterwards in big groups? not worth the risk.

so you think 1m kids going back to school all at once on public transport etc , is not going to set off a massive spike?. Teachers have month to get ready and are already whinging . Open up the pubs with proper guidelines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

AdamD wrote: »
    You should be able to work out for yourself why pubs acting as restaurants are less risky than drinking-only pubs. The same question comes up repeatedly on this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement