Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Neowise

VinLieger wrote: »
    Because they dont have a restaurant license..... how are people still confused on this?

Because pubs do not need a restaurant license to reopen June 29th, but must serve food.

source: Irish mirror has a video of then taoiseach saying this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

hmmm wrote: »
    You should be able to work out for yourself why pubs acting as restaurants are less risky than drinking-only pubs. The same question comes up repeatedly on this thread.

You're wilfully missing my point.

Pubs are acting like restaurants (somewhat). I'm saying they continue to act in the exact same manner with distancing, table service, bookings, time limits etc. but no longer require food. As food is completely incidental to what makes a place safe or not.

People no longer being required to buy a burger doesn't suddenly mean they'll leave their tables and turn it into a free for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Neowise

yeah maybe people may be able to adhere to guidelines in the pubs, but what happens when they are on the streets afterwards in big groups? not worth the risk.

Easy solution to that is to make the pubs 24 hours, then there is no afterwards for people to congregate at.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

AdamD wrote: »
    Pubs are acting like restaurants (somewhat).
    I don't disagree that they would be similar, but the pubs which are open now were only allowed to be open as they were restaurants. The ones serving a bowl of chicken wings to 6 people followed by 40 pints are taking the p**s and should have been shut down, it's unfair on all the other decent publicans.

As it is we now have a problem per public health as our R0 is back at around 1, or even higher. We have to get schools open, and that will also increase the potential spread. It's difficult to see how we are going to get the remainder of pubs open, unless we think pubs are more important to society than schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭barbiegirl123

I don't disagree that they would be similar, but the pubs which are open now were only allowed to be open as they were restaurants. The ones serving a bowl of chicken wings to 6 people followed by 40 pints are taking the p**s and should have been shut down, it's unfair on all the other decent publicans.

As it is we now have a problem per public health as our R0 is back at around 1, or even higher. We have to get schools open, and that will also increase the potential spread. It's difficult to see how we are going to get the remainder of pubs open, unless we think pubs are more important to society than schools.
    finally, someone with a bit of sense

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

We have 6 people. SIX. In hospital with Covid-19. Fecking 6. Now is exactly the time to open everything. Chicken Littles can stay under the bed shaking with fear if they want to, but the rest of us want to get on with life.

so people want the pubs to reopen and there has been 85 new cases...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Let's see what the average is for the week. We can't just stay closed till their is zero cases or a vaccine. There will continue to be spikes either way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

rob316 wrote: »
    Let's see what the average is for the week. We can't just stay closed till their is zero cases or a vaccine. There will continue to be spikes either way

We can't open additional things if the number is already increasing before we do that, especially when schools are also coming down the line.

Above all we need to understand what is going on, not only here, but throughout Europe where numbers are increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

So keeping them closed has spiked the number, might as well open them so.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Quick shut the pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

85 is a good thing, it shows tracing is working. Pubs should open.

85 is a good thing, it shows tracing is working. Pubs should open.
    is that meant to be a joke?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

Could say the exact same re schools opening say all the teachers are hitting the gargle now delighted that the schools wont re open

is that meant to be a joke?

No I'm watching the emergency meeting live. It's a direct provision center and they are happy with the tracing.
      They've just pretty much said pubs aren't opening now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

No I'm watching the emergency meeting live. It's a direct provision center and they are happy with the tracing.

Time to get my sibín up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Some would like to go back to their shells again. Good luck to them, I think there wouldn't be a food voucher to be given now.

did they actually mention that pubs won’t be opening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

I went into Penny’s today for the first time in years. People are giving out about pubs yet there is not an eye batted at the likes of these places. It was like a zoo. How sitting in a pub having a few drinks is significantly more dangerous than hundreds of people in Penny’s breathing bumping into each other and touching everything in sight is beyond me....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Any pub not setting up to serve food now only have themselves to blame after today's figures. There's no way they're opening on the tenth

• Advertisement

did they actually mention that pubs won’t be opening?

It's still on RTE news now, pubs have come up a few times, it all depends on what happens over the next few days, they said the priority is schools and students won't be made masks.

Cona wrote: »
      I went into Penny’s today for the first time in years. People are giving out about pubs yet there is not an eye batted at the likes of these places. It was like a zoo. How sitting in a pub having a few drinks is significantly more dangerous than hundreds of people in Penny’s breathing bumping into each other and touching everything in sight is beyond me....

All after touching the front of their masks, same experience in Lidl today I was the only one not wearing a mask in the checkout que, one woman stood about a foot behind me in her face shield, gave me a scaldy look, then she realised I wasn't the one not following the health advice and backed off about 1.5 meters.
      Masks are giving a false sense of security, they wouldn't stop a fart let alone covid if ignoring all other advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

So, food pubs are open a month now and not a single cluster........ Why can't they reopen pubs with social distancing and contact tracing???

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Such a roller coaster this is.

Not much info from Gov either as to the trajectory and what we should do now.

I know the increase is relatively small, but in comparison to recent stats it seems to be rising a lot. Trying to stay positive here, but struggling now, especially having looked at the RED zones abroad and their experience.

Hopefully am reading far too much into it.

hynesie08 wrote: »
      So, food pubs are open a month now and not a single cluster........ Why can't they reopen pubs with social distancing and contact tracing???

We met a random couple in the pub the other day and had a good old laugh. It felt good to be normal again. We weren't 2 meters apart, a pub isn't a pub with social distancing. Just open them as normal, clean the toilets more, wash the glasses well and open the god dam doors at both ends or preferably let us drink outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

We met a random couple in the pub the other day and had a good old laugh. It felt good to be normal again. We weren't 2 meters apart, a pub isn't a pub with social distancing. Just open them as normal, clean the toilets more, wash the glasses well and open the god dam doors at both ends or preferably let us drink outside.

That would be ideal, like being on holliers.

I know the weather is not great here a lot of the time, but pubs and restaurants need to adapt to this.

Have been in countries in Europe (non beach places) during Autumn and Winter and everyone is happy to be outside.

Get with the program folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Oranage2 wrote: »
      Any pub not setting up to serve food now only have themselves to blame after today's figures. There's no way they're opening on the tenth

Only have themselves to blame even though they've....been closed? These owners deserve sympathy and support as they've done nothing but play ball while other aspects of society opened over a month ago.

But yes we all knew this day was going to happen - government basically admitted it the second they didn't allow the pubs to open on the 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭bmc58

Aaaaaaaah ballax!

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0715/1153499-politics-cabinet/

I get it, I really do, but why the focus on pubs?
      I got a haircut today in the Grafton Barber where a nice barber cut my hair with no social distancing (Completely within guidance)
      I just don't get the focus on the boozer...

Well i got my hair cut and the barber had a mask as i had to wear a mask in South Tipp.It was awkard at times but it got done. I had a disposable plastic sheet on also.I was very happy with the precautions taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Downhearted with the numbers and hard to see a light at the end of the tunnel now

Scared of next week's announcement

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Pubs that aren't set up to do food cant suddenly start dishing out bowls of stew etc without major investment to satisfy H & S

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement