Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Rats on Prime Time secretly filming in a few pubs trying to catch them out about getting food with a pint and naming the pub then.

A few members of staff probably lost their jobs because of those fookers.

Be interesting to see if the oul ones pick it up tomorrow on Joe Duffy. Don't think anyone will be sacked but who knows if people make enough noise.

Pretty poor from Prime Time to try and use how two/three pubs are operating, in the heart of Dublin city, as a reason why pubs must stay closed all over the country. It is so obviously their angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Rats on Prime Time secretly filming in a few pubs trying to catch them out about getting food with a pint and naming the pub then.

I thought it was disgusting tbh. Some pedophile type asking a young waitress if he needs to get food. She says yes a few times. He continues to put the pressure on until she says 'it's grand' just to get rid of him. "AHA WE GOT YOU". Farcical

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Be interesting to see if the oul ones pick it up tomorrow on Joe Duffy. Don't think anyone will be sacked but who knows if people make enough noise.

Pretty poor from Prime Time to try and use how two/three pubs are operating, in the heart of Dublin city, as a reason why pubs must stay closed all over the country. It is so obviously their angle.
    Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I thought it was disgusting tbh. Some pedophile type asking a young waitress if he needs to get food. She says yes a few times. He continues to put the pressure on until she says 'it's grand' just to get rid of him. "AHA WE GOT YOU". Farcical

I didn't think they would name the pubs, and as you said they didn't just give him a pint straight away he kept pressuring until he got one.

The owners will come down hard on the staff when they were named and unfortunately someone will suffer for that, it won't be that tosser from RTE though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

That Prime Time was the nearest thing I have seen to an episode of Alan Partridge on RTE. Between that embarrassing undercover feature and that clown Dr Ebun Jones and a blatantly biased presenter taking on Michael McDowell, it was like a comedy show.

I didn't think they would name the pubs, and as you said they didn't just give him a pint straight away he kept pressuring until he got one.

The owners will come down hard on the staff when they were named and unfortunately someone will suffer for that, it won't be that tosser from RTE though.
    Can't say too much but er....I don't think one of the owners will be too fussed. They're more likely to invite RTE around for a roasting than sack someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭aziz

I would say that reporters picture is behind every bar in Dublin with a sign saying
    " don't serve this bollox"
    😀

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Fair play to RTÉ for showing up the pubs that give two fingers to the health regulations.
    Let's hope they go to Penneys next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

One poster remarked about Penney's being thronged, I dropped by there yesterday and it resembled a zoo. Crammed in like sardines, "social distancing" my hole. And misery merchants who have no concept of a quiet local with six or seven punters minding their own business, unwinding over a pint. Wouldn't surprise me if suicides spiked further in the coming months, the incumbent government are botching things badly.

Well I don't think you can blame the govt for Penney's greed or the selfish yokes in it not following guidelines. But it does unfortunately give them ammo as you can point to a risk that businesses will ignore guidelines (and many in the bar industry have) and that the general public are being lax about them too. Which makes reopening bars, which again I'd like to see happen so I can have a job again, harder to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The media are the enemy of the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Poorside wrote: »
    Go off there and get it, when you recover come back to me.
    In all likelihood I'll never know that I had it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Neowise

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Havent read alot of this thread but would it not be better to open schools first before we open pubs?

Heh? Schools? ya think that'd go down well with the family folk? They are usualy too mé fein to consider other folk, i think it would be an enormous gesture on their part.

If we can get the kegs diverted to the schools, and have proper social distancing, then i suppose schools would be as good a premises as any for the socializing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Christ this thread totally jumped the shark overnight.

Down with all health and safety! Is the country really that full of alc's that there is NOTHING more sacred than a pint?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Christ this thread totally jumped the shark overnight.

Down with all health and safety! Is the country really that full of alc's that there is NOTHING more sacred than a pint?

What blow do you think this bloke landed in the fight for health and safety?

And there's no need to get nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

pjohnson wrote: »
    there is NOTHING more sacred than a pint?

Correct and right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 homes_for_all

RTE do not care about the plebs. Kick up your money to the incestuous, nepotistic, endless money pit or face prison.

Can you actually imagine the "investigators" coming up with and pitching this idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Entrapment by rte!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Entrapment by rte!!!

Hardly.

All the staff member needed to do was hold the line.

You have two choices mr customer. We can serve you a pint with food or leave.

Not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

They should go into meat factories and direct provision centres where the real problems seem to be.
    But that might raise more questions than answers for their masters in Dail Eireann.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

hi5 wrote: »
    They should go into meat factories and direct provision centres where the real problems seem to be.
    But that might raise more questions than answers for their masters in Dail Eireann.

What makes you think they won`t?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Did they name pubs where they were refused?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Poorside wrote: »
    Did they name pubs where they were refused?

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jj880

6 cases in hospital. Fair enough.

But surely daily new cases is the important number?

I take 6 in hospital to mean older and at risk people are still being careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭barbiegirl123

i wonder what the cases will be like this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

i wonder what the cases will be like this evening

You'll know this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

RTE is the fox news of Ireland. who cares if people got a pint ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

copeyhagen wrote: »
    RTE is the fox news of Ireland. who cares if people got a pint ffs
    It really isn't.
    There is no equivalent of Fox news in Ireland...bar maybe the national parties Twitter account...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i actually feel sorry for the pubs, they seem to be being scapegoated and not been given an opportunity to open. plenty of big pubs could open with social distancing table service etc etc . trouble is the government doesnt seem want to take on inspecting premises to see if they are complying with regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Rte have been a shambles throughout this pandemic, but highlighting the pubs illegal activity last night was one of the few helpful things they have done.

Those pubs are going against public health advice for their own greed. I have no sympathy for them.

The government should be shutting these places down and not leaving it to the media to call attention to the wrongdoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

6.10 for a pint of Heineken is what shocked me most by the prime time investigation.

• Advertisement

andrew1977 wrote: »
    6.10 for a pint of Heineken is what shocked me most by the prime time investigation.

Most places around the area would be the same I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement