Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Rte have been a shambles throughout this pandemic, but highlighting the pubs illegal activity last night was one of the few helpful things they have done.

Those pubs are going against public health advice for their own greed. I have no sympathy for them.

The government should be shutting these places down and not leaving it to the media to call attention to the wrongdoing.

They should have instead went in to shopping centres and supermarkets to report on widespread lack of mask use.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Rte have been a shambles throughout this pandemic, but highlighting the pubs illegal activity last night was one of the few helpful things they have done.

Those pubs are going against public health advice for their own greed. I have no sympathy for them.

The government should be shutting these places down and not leaving it to the media to call attention to the wrongdoing.

Greed or survival?

The pubs is pure distraction, we had 80 cases yesterday and none were linked to pubs or restaurants. You can guarantee they'd have told us if they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭barbiegirl123

AdamD wrote: »
    Greed or survival?

The pubs is pure distraction, we had 80 cases yesterday and none were linked to pubs or restaurants. You can guarantee they'd have told us if they were.
    As much as I would love a night out myself, in my opinion I dont believe now is the right time to open the pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Pubs have on the surface of it been singled out especially when you see tourists arriving freely into the country.

Ultimately gargle and the consumption of it, especially indoors is a huge risk factor. Nobody drinks gargle out of thirst, they drink because of the social aspect and the effect it has on them physiologically. One of those effects is loosening of inhibitions. People end up standing closer to you, falling into you, arm around the shoulder stuff etc .. All of this body language is not conducive to social distancing. Its that simple. Regardless how big the pub is and how well planned out their social distancing measures are, it'll all go to pot if one bloke infected with covid has one too many jars starts falling around the place.

South korea had an outbreak in their nightclub district and then had to test 45,000 people.

https://www.businessinsider.com/south-korea-contact-tracing-helped-control-nightclub-outbreak-2020-5?r=US&IR=T

The current situation where pubs serving food can open and punters are moved on after a ouple of hours is better than nothing.

The borders at the same time should be strictly controlled, with enforced quarantine. Look at Taiwan if you want an example of best practice of handling covid 19. Taiwan has 23 million people, to date its had only 400 cases and 7 deaths in total .. they never locked down because they wear masks and have a world class test and tracing infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

AdamD wrote: »
    Greed or survival?

The greed thing is some nonsense.
    I really wonder how many people would be happy to take a massive loss of income without making some effort to try and recover some.

• Advertisement

As much as I would love a night out myself, in my opinion I dont believe now is the right time to open the pubs.

Just crawl back under your bed. No one cares about your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

a HUGE amount of pubs will never open again, but lets call them greedy for trying to earn a living and stay afloat..

**** me, the guinness wont give you covid.

what’s ur problem?

what’s ur problem?
    Whats your problem with pubs opening? Every comment from you is something negative about pubs to keep them closed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Whats your problem with pubs opening? Every comment from you is something negative about pubs to keep them closed

And they're well entitled to have an opinion, Just because it isnt in agreement with yours doesn't mean you can be so rude.

Maybe look outside your need to have the pubs open and think about where the numbers are going and that the schools have to take priority at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

copeyhagen wrote: »
    a HUGE amount of pubs will never open again, but lets call them greedy for trying to earn a living and stay afloat..

**** me, the guinness wont give you covid.

Pubs have been dying off over the last number of years. Ever wonder why pints are largely the same price in any given area?

SAMTALK wrote: »
    And they're well entitled to have an opinion, Just because it isnt in agreement with yours doesn't mean you can be so rude.

Maybe look outside your need to have the pubs open and think about where the numbers are going and that the schools have to take priority at this stage

thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: Cut this kind of crap out, please.

SAMTALK wrote: »

Why shouldnt the pubs reopen? I think its a disgrace the way they are being treated. We are talking about family businesses that mighten reopen again. 100s of people out of jobs. If the likes of restaurants,gyms,cinemas and shops (pennys no social distancing in these places) can reopen. Why can pubs

Why shouldnt the pubs reopen? I think its a disgrace the way they are being treated. We are talking about family businesses that mighten reopen again. 100s of people out of jobs. If the likes of restaurants,gyms,cinemas and shops (pennys no social distancing in these places) can reopen. Why can pubs
    because when people are drunk they are less likely to keep their distance and public health must be made a priority

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

because when people are drunk they are less likely to keep their distance and public health must be made a priority

What about the people who simply go to the pub for 1-2 pints and not to get ****faced?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

GazzaL wrote: »
    What about the people who simply go to the pub for 1-2 pints and not to get ****faced?

They can do that now.

Your coming up with every sort of excuse to keep them closed. As one of the previous posters said that not everyone gets drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Not everyone goes out to get drunk!! I certainly don’t, but actually like going for a few quiet pints to my local. Plenty, actually the majority of people that go to the pub go for the social aspect or to watch a game or of course some food.
    Rte last night showed exactly what they are. They’re a puppet for anti alcohol lobby. GastroPubs and Restaurants open 4 weeks now and not one single case linked to them or even the dame lane fiasco! They’ll be open 6 by the time that wet pubs are meant to open and I bet not one cluster or outbreak will be notified from those locations.
    All the pubs in my town except 2 out of 12 are open probably 40 jobs from the other 10 and then the 10 owners and their family’s livelihoods can go down the swanny just because some curtain twitching idiots don’t drink or have a distaste for pubs.
    All this nonsense has to stop and we need to learn to live with Covid until we can get an effective vaccine/treatment. Those 85 cases have been explained and hopefully as Dr Glynn and Professor Nolan have said that it’s a blip and has been managed excellently by the HSE and public health teams.
    I’ve said it plenty of times... it all comes down to personal responsibility and your own decision making.

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Not everyone goes out to get drunk!! I certainly don’t, but actually like going for a few quiet pints to my local. Plenty, actually the majority of people that go to the pub go for the social aspect or to watch a game or of course some food.
    Rte last night showed exactly what they are. They’re a puppet for anti alcohol lobby. GastroPubs and Restaurants open 4 weeks now and not one single case linked to them or even the dame lane fiasco! They’ll be open 6 by the time that wet pubs are meant to open and I bet not one cluster or outbreak will be notified from those locations.
    All the pubs in my town except 2 out of 12 are open probably 40 jobs from the other 10 and then the 10 owners and their family’s livelihoods can go down the swanny just because some curtain twitching idiots don’t drink or have a distaste for pubs.
    All this nonsense has to stop and we need to learn to live with Covid until we can get an effective vaccine/treatment. Those 85 cases have been explained and hopefully as Dr Glynn and Professor Nolan have said that it’s a blip and has been managed excellently by the HSE and public health teams.
    I’ve said it plenty of times... it all comes down to personal responsibility and your own decision making.

Any pub can open now as long as they serve food.

• Advertisement

Well said Santy. Good to see someone talking sense

joeguevara wrote: »
    Any pub can open now as long as they serve food.

Yes but how many want that hassle on their door?? They want to serve the community and keep their heads above water!! Stop with all they need to do is serve food crap.

Yes but how many want that hassle on their door?? They want to serve the community and keep their heads above water!! Stop with all they need to do is serve food crap.

If they want to open they can while following the current arrangement. The community is well served at present. People are not being starved of pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Anyone that wants a few pints can go to a pub that serves food. Have a meal and a few pints, it's only 9 euro (min) more than if you didnt have the food. Problem solved

As for pubs that havent reopened yet why can't they arrange to have food delivered in? This would solve the problem for them and also generate business for the food outlets nearby.

The risk with pubs is 3 or 4 hours into the night when there is a lot of alcohol involved and everyone lowers their guard. Obviously this is not everyone but enough that it would be a concern. The bathrooms would not be sanatized after every person which would cause another major problem

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If they want to save their business so badly then serve food or arrange to get food delivered.

Would you guys be in favour of wet pubs serving 13 year olds on the pretence of "saving business"? Or ignoring the smoking ban? Or just opening at 7am? What other regulations need to be ignored?

i hope to god the cases go down this evening. my grandmother is obviously at risk of this virus and is only starting to get aspects of her social life back. i cannot see how these 85 cases have been a blip.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

GazzaL wrote: »

If we could trust it to just be those people, that would be fine.

But we can't. You know as well as I do that the more selfish among us will take the absolute p*ss and ruin it for everyone else.

There's a significant number of people who can't be trusted!

If you want to just have a couple of pints, go to a pub that's serving food.

pjohnson wrote: »
    If they want to save their business so badly then serve food or arrange to get food delivered.

Would you guys be in favour of wet pubs serving 13 year olds on the pretence of "saving business"? Or ignoring the smoking ban? What other regulations need to be ignored?

Its about jobs and people’s livelihoods but the poor ole darlings here think think it’ll be sorted if they get the local takeaway to bring over some 1/4 pounders and chips! Doesn’t work like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its about jobs and people’s livelihoods but the poor ole darlings here think think it’ll be sorted if they get the local takeaway to bring over some 1/4 pounders and chips! Doesn’t work like that.

So what other laws and regulations do you think should be ignored for the sake of it then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The issue here is that your personal responsibility affects me here. If you've been liberal with the rules and have been jaunting all over town, and then you bring COVID into the pub, you could be spreading it around.

It's not a case of "Sure i'm not harming anyone". You potentially are.

Once again, if you want a pint go to one of the currently open pubs. If you want to go on the p*ss, this isn't the time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement