Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Rimmy

What will happen city pubs when they are back open fully? Hundreds of young people will flock into them.

I think the restraunt thing is okay, can get out for a few pints.

Id still like though pubs to be open till 9PM or something like that. But normal closing hours will be chaos. Even if they were allowed to open 12 to 9 you are always going to have the few drunk people so probably better of having them shut.

I don't see the facination anyway really, grab a few cans and go to a friend's house.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Rimmy wrote: »
    What will happen city pubs when they are back open fully? Hundreds of young people will flock into them.

I think the restraunt thing is okay, can get out for a few pints.

Exactly. All this "It's about jobs and peoples' livelihoods" stuff is all well and good but they are not factoring in small matter of the fact that there is a virus being spread and we are trying to contain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭barbiegirl123

public health must come first. trust me i would love to see the pubs open but we can’t risk more infections

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭barbiegirl123

i also just read there that some of the tests from the workers in the factory in Naas still haven’t come back so hopefully this won’t lead to a rise again today

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I don't see the facination anyway really, grab a few cans and go to a friend's house.

Eh this is exactly what they're also saying not to do. Visiting other houses is to be brief

• Advertisement

i also just read there that some of the tests from the workers in the factory in Naas still haven’t come back so hopefully this won’t lead to a rise again today

Dr Glynn on morning Ireland,
    He said to his knowledge "all workers have been tested at the pet food factory in Co Kildare", where there was an outbreak.

"We know over the past weeks there have been a number of clusters and what we hope is the numbers yesterday reflect the rapid testing of those clusters and the identification and isolation of those within those clusters."

public health must come first. trust me i would love to see the pubs open but we can’t risk more infections

Come on now, there's plenty open now that aren't enforcing the €9 meal. 6 weeks since restaurants / pubs as restaurants reopened and no clusters linked back to them.

Same guidelines minus the food requirement wont see much change in my opinion, you still have your table service, contact details for tracing, no moving from the table unless using the toilets etc.

If I were you I'd be questioning more the work practises at the dog food factory in terms of public health than pubs that aren't open yet. Big questions to be asked there

Eh this is exactly what they're also saying not to do. Visiting other houses is to be brief

Big difference visiting a friend and maintaining 2 meters having a few cans than been packed into a full pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Big difference visiting a friend and maintaining 2 meters having a few cans than been packed into a full pub.

The people wanting to go to the pub with their mates, who can't, so drink cans in their house instead are absolutely not maintaining 2 metres.

Naive in the extreme to think so. Not a reason to open the pubs, but its head in the sand stuff to think this is actually solving a problem, rather than just moving it.

Who's going to be packed into a pub ?? There won't be packed pubs until a vaccine.

Table service, no tables you can't come in, just how it is now.

Your assuming guidelines go out the window and it'll be a free for all with people allowed free roam. Your also assuming people going drinking in houses are keeping 2m apart, there's more clusters relating to social settings in houses than in restaurants / pubs that are open. Cases linked back to these settings a grand total of 0 clusters in 6 weeks

• Advertisement

Who's going to be packed into a pub ?? There won't be packed pubs until a vaccine.

Table service, no tables you can't come in, just how it is now.

Your assuming guidelines go out the window and it'll be a free for all with people allowed free roam.

I know personally of three pubs that are open within 15KM of where I live and no social distancing been maintained. People can go and drink away and the pubs are packed to the rafters.

Front doors are locked, quick whatsapp or messenger to the owner and your in.

I know personally of three pubs that are open within 15KM of where I live and no social distancing been maintained. People can go and drink away and the pubs are packed to the rafters.

Front doors are locked.

There you go so thats the problem, behind closed doors. Open them up and they have to comply. If not they'll be losing their licence.

Given the targeting of the Gardaí into things like this in the last few weeks I'd be quite sceptical that they're "packed to the rafters"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Front doors are locked, quick whatsapp or messenger to the owner and your in.

So they are not open and essentially are illegal drinking dens.

There you go so thats the problem, behind closed doors. Open them up and they have to comply. If not they'll be losing their licence.

Given the targeting of the Gardaí into things like this in the last few weeks I'd be quite sceptical that they're "packed to the rafters"

Last Saturday there was over 70 in one of them. Know that for a fact as its my local and only a 5 minute walk for me.

The other two are a bit further away but someone I know was in them a few weeks ago and said packed.

I'm not advocating it whatseover and not going near them myself.

The thing is if the pubs are closed there is going to be house parties.

Nothing is going to stop them.

The thing is if the pubs are closed there is going to be house parties.

Nothing is going to stop them.

Pubs aren't closed.

House parties happen after closing time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

What makes you think they'd be willing to comply then if they aren't even trying to bother at all about social distancing now.

What makes you think they'd be willing to comply then if they aren't even trying to bother at all about social distancing now.

I think if the doors are open then possibly would have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

MrStuffins wrote: »
    If we could trust it to just be those people, that would be fine.

But we can't. You know as well as I do that the more selfish among us will take the absolute p*ss and ruin it for everyone else.

There's a significant number of people who can't be trusted!

If you want to just have a couple of pints, go to a pub that's serving food.

That would be an expensive 2 pints!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Some Professor said that earlier; 'love to know how you're safer in a pub by buying a €9 sandwich as opposed to one who doesnt? '

They should be all shut or all open.

"Some professor"

Pure Boards gold.

Post of the year surely.

We should be all jostling at the bar, cramming smoking areas, spend all day in a pub. According to some professor. :D

• Advertisement

imme wrote: »
    "Some professor"

Pure Boards gold.

Post of the year surely.

We should be all jostling at the bar, cramming smoking areas, spend all day in a pub. According to some professor. :D

Wasn't that mickey healy rae recently in the Dail, never knew has was professor lol

Wasn't that mickey healy rae recently in the Dail, never knew has was professor lol

Yes it was.

Unless it was the professor on capitol hill spouting on about hydroxychloroquine curing covid, gynecological cysts are from banging devils and demons when you are asleep and alien dna is the main component of vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Another day with no numbers that can be attributed to pubs, if the numbers stay in the 25-35 range this weekend with no pub clusters, I'd love to hear them justifying delaying opening.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Another day with no numbers that can be attributed to pubs, if the numbers stay in the 25-35 range this weekend with no pub clusters, I'd love to hear them justifying delaying opening.....

"It's the economy stupid"

Except replace economy with schools.

Not a hope they will open them. Schools Schools Schools is all you are going to hear for the next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Who ever talked about “packed” pubs??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Last Saturday there was over 70 in one of them. Know that for a fact as its my local and only a 5 minute walk for me.

The other two are a bit further away but someone I know was in them a few weeks ago and said packed.

I'm not advocating it whatseover and not going near them myself.

So hearsay. Grand.You don’t have an actual argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

hynesie08 wrote: »

There's a problem with today's numbers, the majority never isolated with symptoms until advised by a doctor. There random and not clusters. That can cause large outbreaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

So hearsay. Grand.You don’t have an actual argument.

He's correct, it's happening, one near me was raided.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The wet pubs are fully prepared to follow the guidelines so the risk is low.

You can tell by the way Martin was stuttering today when he was asked about it that he won't let them open on the 10th either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

There's a problem with today's numbers, the majority never isolated with symptoms until advised by a doctor. There random and not clusters. That can cause large outbreaks.

If any of those cases were transmitted in a pub, we'd have heard about it, they're just dying for an excuse......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement