Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

cityboyjim wrote: »
    60 cent .What is the take when its sold in a bar for 5-50 then

21% of the difference. The duty element doesn't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭cityboyjim

L1011 wrote: »
    21% of the difference. The duty element doesn't change.

Not an accountant but still dont get it .Does the customer not pay vat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Not an accountant but still dont get it .Does the customer not pay vat

Yes. Customer pays VAT, business collects it and returns it to the Government.

If you pay €1.21 to a business, they keep €1 and return 21c to Government (assuming VAT rate of 21%).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

As loopy as it was to justify last year, how could they possibly keep them open beyond June, when all vulnerable groups are due to be vaccinated?

Or even beyond late March when the highest risk vulnerable are covered?

The mythical Long Covid in young people?

Don't worry, they'll find something. Tony H will be 'very concerned' again like he was last summer when cases were down to double digits.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone get really jealous when they are watching a show and they are hanging out in the pubs like old times. Up at the bar ordering drinks. Please god make us be able to re live those times...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

yeah, every other Country than here for th elast 10 months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭beachhead

Getting all the various interest groups vaccinated won't return everything to "normal". There are enough rule breakers?? in the community to ensure restrictions well into 2022.At the moment a vaccine is believed to offer 6 mths protection.If,you want to travl your destination country might insist on the full 6 mths immunity.Never ending jabs will be the norm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

46 Long wrote: »
    Don't worry, they'll find something. Tony H will be 'very concerned' again like he was last summer when cases were down to double digits.

Cases increased every week during that period, that is why we are where we are now.
    beachhead wrote: »
    Getting all the various interest groups vaccinated won't return everything to "normal". There are enough rule breakers?? in the community to ensure restrictions well into 2022.At the moment a vaccine is believed to offer 6 mths protection.If,you want to travl your destination country might insist on the full 6 mths immunity.Never ending jabs will be the norm

There is recent research that a vaccine should last 3 years, at least. By the time travel is really possible in summer some people will have had the vaccine for 6 months, so we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

beachhead wrote: »
    Are you currently in a pub? Cause that's the kind of incoherent rambling one would expect to hear in there! Ridiculous stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Are you currently in a pub? Cause that's the kind of incoherent rambling one would expect to hear in there! Ridiculous stuff.

May not be ramblings :confused:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/plan-for-digital-covid-vaccination-passport-1.4458271

Especially if you have a look at the video in this piece

https://freepress.ie/2020/12/professor-luke-oneill-wants-to-get-into-your-childrens-bodies-and-minds/

PS. As someone who is "Medically Impaired" Research is essential

• Advertisement

The thing is the longer the government and NPHET keep the pubs closed the more shebeens are going to pop up around the country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

The thing is the longer the government and NPHET keep the pubs closed the more shebeens are going to pop up around the country

Every one and their cousin has a bar out the back now they had nearly a year to build them, I know of 5 in my locality not essentially shebeens but gathering places you BYOB

mightyreds wrote: »
    Every one and their cousin has a bar out the back now they had nearly a year to build them, I know of 5 in my locality not essentially shebeens but gathering places you BYOB

I know of a few myself and have visited one a few times over the christmas . The lad has a proper set up. Will keep heading there over the next few weeks/months until the pubs reopen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

If every vulnerable person is vaccinated there should be no covid related deaths surely .
    There will still be some covid related deaths. The vaccines greatly reduce harm of the virus but they are not 100% effective.

The other issue is that even if the vaccine completely removed all the harmful effects of the vaccine, people still die and some of those who die will have the now harmless virus and so will be counted as a covid death.

Both of these will be used as arguments to keep pubs closed and the general population under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭cityboyjim

Surely if you live in a housing estate and your a 25 euro away from the craic by taxi it makes sence to have a small bar for your friends with a big screen TV and a Keg of porter on tap and no closing time ,No brainer to me anyway

Not to mention 20 euro for 20 bottles there for a couple of weeks and your already about 100 euro saved vs a pub.

I don’t have one and know no one that has one either unfortunately.

But that prob more down to the fact , I don’t own a house.

fin12 wrote: »
    I don’t have one and know no one that has one either unfortunately.

But that prob more down to the fact , I don’t own a house.

Just go on the home bar ireland facebook page might see one in your area :) surprisingly only set up 9 months ago.

Just go on the home bar ireland facebook page might see one in your area :) surprisingly only set up 9 months ago.

Ya but if I don’t know them , I’m hardly going to get an invite...

fin12 wrote: »
    Ya but if I don’t know them , I’m hardly going to get an invite...

:) True

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The original intention for closing the pubs was to limit contacts and spread but now its becoming a great data exercise , I'm already betting on the false causality

"with the boozer closed we had less people in A&E, less of x disease , less arrests etc.." you'll have a contraction of licensed premises and some other rules.

Before this pandemic there was a campaign to get a Dublin night mayor, to have venues that could open longer and serve longer , that'll all be undone.

Nightclubs are going to be severely constrained, alcohol at concerts and venues restricted and probably some serious changes to the quantity of and opening hours of the traditional pub.

The end result of this pandemic was never going to be a return to exactly what we had before, but as time goes on the reality of what we will return to looks bleaker and bleaker for those who like a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

yea i thought this alright , i am not one for conspiracy theories but the medics get highly excited to think they may reign in our drinking culture, although it wont be as easy as they think and tbh i dont buy into people totally changing their drinking habits, its in irish peoples dna and british too. very little restrictions they can bring in. longer opening hours like europe more likely stop everyone spilling out at the one time

Dickie10 wrote: »
    yea i thought this alright , i am not one for conspiracy theories but the medics get highly excited to think they may reign in our drinking culture, although it wont be as easy as they think and tbh i dont buy into people totally changing their drinking habits, its in irish peoples dna and british too. very little restrictions they can bring in. longer opening hours like europe more likely stop everyone spilling out at the one time

I think they will try keep the 11 closing time and when it's time to payback what we borrowed alcohol tax will be hit, reckon we could be paying 10/11 euro for a pint in Dublin( if it's not already last I paid was 7:50) in the not too distant future. Hopefully not though

I get they couldn’t care less about us Irish enjoying our pubs again but this government love foreigners and tourists above Irish so surely they will want pubs/ nightlife to be open for the tourists or do they just think tourists are happy to come here with no nightlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

yeah there will be a huge push against anything like that from FG /FF/Labour, they know who butters there bread and its not looney lefts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

reckon we could be paying 10/11 euro for a pint in Dublin( if it's not already last I paid was 7:50) in the not too distant future. Hopefully not though

7.50!

Standard has climbed to about 6 to 6.20 in recent years.

The government would be unwise not to loosen licensing laws to encourage spending and thus tax intake. If things can get back up and running by May it really will be a summer like Italia 90. It will calm down by January and Feb just like every other year- even Holohan can't be dry arsed enough to think that six months on the lash every weekend will cause any long term damage to most relatively healthy adults.

Not as if half the country isn't drinking more during the week now anyway, a combo of mind numbing depression and a hangover being easier to hide when you're a 3 second walk from your bathroom vs spending all day in a workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Iteration1 wrote: »
    The above is an argument well put forward, but I have an issue with the black and white of pubs being non-essential and schools being essential. If the reason you give above for schools being essential is to allow parent continue to work, then the same argument could be made for publicans or bar staff. People seem to have forgotten that schools are not supposed to be free babysitting services. If a couple rely on them for such to make their financial ends meet, then maybe they've over-extended themselves and should look to address that. If they don't have contingencies to bridge the gap during this crisis then they haven't done well at saving. Nobody wants to use their savings to get through such times, but people do not have a right to be compensated when hard times fall and feel no impact. Its up to yourself to plan for such.

You think you could make an argument for pubs being essential? I’d like to hear it if you can.

Schools aren’t supposed to be free childminding, but school happens at roughly the same time as the rest of the 9-5 working world. So it certainly suits the majority of working people. So you know schools also serve the indirect role of allowing parents to work while the children are safe and attend school.

If you can make an argument that pubs should be open because they’re part of the broader economy, which includes the fact that they’re non essential and a great place to spread the virus, then feel free to make it.

As loopy as it was to justify last year, how could they possibly keep them open beyond June, when all vulnerable groups are due to be vaccinated?

Or even beyond late March when the highest risk vulnerable are covered?

The mythical Long Covid in young people?

As of yesterday a quarter of the people in hospital with covid in the uk are below 55 years old. So if we vaccinate the vulnerable and then go back to normal, the numbers will skyrocket and the hospitals will be overrun.

I can see the appeal to wanting get back to normal, but the reality is we have to vaccinate pretty much everyone first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

As of yesterday a quarter of the people in hospital with covid in the uk are below 55 years old. So if we vaccinate the vulnerable and then go back to normal, the numbers will skyrocket and the hospitals will be overrun.

Not entirely ack to normal so.

Wet pubs with social distancing.

Pretty much every country in Europe had this going from May until November.

If we start it in April, the herd of the population will be vaccinated before that time period.

There are 2000 people in hospital with Covid here. 1 in 2500 people. When figures go back to the low hundreds the hospital figure, you would expect, what, 1 in 25,000 people?

Figures like this cannot justify continued shutdown.

• Advertisement

Not entirely ack to normal so.

Wet pubs with social distancing.

Pretty much every country in Europe had this going from May until November.

If we start it in April, the herd of the population will be vaccinated before that time period.

There are 2000 people in hospital with Covid here. 1 in 2500 people. When figures go back to the low hundreds the hospital figure, you would expect, what, 1 in 25,000 people?

Figures like this cannot justify continued shutdown.

Yeah it depends on a few things. If these new variants of covid are much more transmissible, then the old restrictions won’t be as effective. Will all the new variants be covered by the vaccine? Let’s hope so.

Nobody is suggesting the vaccine will stop people from carrying and transmitting the virus so that will slow down reopening if that is the case.

In any case, things will probably be fine in Ireland he summer with most businesses open with distancing. The test will be whether they can rollout range vaccine and if everything can stay open next winter when numbers go up again. If the numbers stay reasonably low then, great

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement