Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Yeah it depends on a few things. If these new variants of covid are much more transmissible, then the old restrictions won’t be as effective.

Ah the new variant.

All but non existent til the three wise men allowed gobshiets to come from London at Christmas.

Surely criminal negligence charges should be sought against Mehole and Leo?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ah the new variant.

All but non existent til the three wise men allowed gobshiets to come from London at Christmas.

Surely criminal negligence charges should be sought against Mehole and Leo?

Phrase it whatever way you want. But it’s here now and there will be more variants. We need to see how they work out. Maybe they’ll be no problem, maybe they’ll be more transmissible and maybe they won’t be cornered by the vaccine. Those three scenarios will lead to very differ outcomes in terms of reopening.

I agree that we should restrict travel. The uk is doing it now and it’s perfectly sensible. What’s happening at the NI border? Presumably if someone wanted to travel to the uk they could fly into dublin and cross the border and then into Britain from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Yeah it depends on a few things. If these new variants of covid are much more transmissible, then the old restrictions won’t be as effective. Will all the new variants be covered by the vaccine? Let’s hope so.

Nobody is suggesting the vaccine will stop people from carrying and transmitting the virus so that will slow down reopening if that is the case.

In any case, things will probably be fine in Ireland he summer with most businesses open with distancing. The test will be whether they can rollout range vaccine and if everything can stay open next winter when numbers go up again. If the numbers stay reasonably low then, great
    The government plan to have the majority of the country vaccinated by then, thus achieving herd immunity. And you're questioning things staying open? We should be living without any restrictions next winter, let alone entertain the idea of closing! :confused:
    And for the record, encouraging signs that the vaccines do (a) work on the variants and (b) reduce transmission

https://www.thejournal.ie/pfizer-ceo-5323949-Jan2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭opinionated3

And for the record, encouraging signs that the vaccines do (a) work on the variants and (b) reduce transmission
    Correct. Someone also posted an Israeli article on the vaccine forum here, stating that their early research on those vaccinated in their country already, are showing massive increases in antibodies and that they do not carry the virus around i.e the aren't transmitting it in the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/covid-19-government-set-to-extend-level-5-restrictions-to-late-february-1.4463199?mode=amp

'It is understood the hospitality sector may not reopen properly until late May or early June. Restaurants and cafes had hoped to be in a position to reopen outdoors in April but this is now being viewed as increasingly unlikely'

'Senior figures in the industry are understood to have recently asked Government if a reopening would be possible after the end of March when the most vulnerable people in the country have been vaccinated against Covid 19 but were told this was not likely'

ffs it's last year all over again, non food pubs again will be targeted and won't open in the summer.

It will be food pubs with time limits and €9 meal again for the summer. The worse thing about it im starting to accept that

• Advertisement

Absolutely ridiculous. If the vulnerable and frontline workers are vaccinated open up. Move on. The damage to the economy is shocking. Can't believe how the representative organisations of the various sectors of hospitality are willing to accept this, being forced to sit on 350 euro a week for well over a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

PTH2009 wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/covid-19-government-set-to-extend-level-5-restrictions-to-late-february-1.4463199?mode=amp

'It is understood the hospitality sector may not reopen properly until late May or early June. Restaurants and cafes had hoped to be in a position to reopen outdoors in April but this is now being viewed as increasingly unlikely'

'Senior figures in the industry are understood to have recently asked Government if a reopening would be possible after the end of March when the most vulnerable people in the country have been vaccinated against Covid 19 but were told this was not likely'

ffs it's last year all over again, non food pubs again will be targeted and won't open in the summer.

It will be food pubs with time limits and €9 meal again for the summer. The worse thing about it im starting to accept that

As you should. In all likelihood that`s the way it will be for a long time to come.

As you should. In all likelihood that`s the way it will be for a long time to come.

Yeah it’s pretty sensible to get used to the idea that pubs won’t be open for the next few months.

Some people seem to think that vaccinating arbitrary groups, like the over 70s and the vulnerable, will lead to immediate reopening. It’s foolish to think that’s likely to happen and will likely lead to disappointment when it doesn’t happen.

Realistically, the pubs are likely to reopen during the summer when numbers naturally go down, as they did last summer. It will depend on the new strains of covid and how much more transmissible they are than the strains we had last summer, but let’s assume they can open in the summer.

There will be the obvious need for distancing and masks and whatever other measures at necessary. The real goal has to be to get as many people vaccinated as possible before the autumn when numbers will start going up again. If everyone’s vaccinated by then, we might have a more normal Christmas this year.

But it’s imports to be realistic and see what happens with the new strains, transmission numbers and vaccine rollout. No point setting arbitrary dates and expecting pubs to reopen because some said they should open when the over 70s and vulnerable are vaccinated.

You think this is living?? FFS absolutely sick of this crap now, and people using every excuse possible to keep us all in check.
    If you want to hide away indoors work away, no one is stopping you. Most of us are willing to take our chances once those most susceptible to actually getting sick from the virus are vaccinated. Beginning to feel like North Korea around here now....

You think this is living?? FFS absolutely sick of this crap now, and people using every excuse possible to keep us all in check.
    If you want to hide away indoors work away, no one is stopping you. Most of us are willing to take our chances once those most susceptible to actually getting sick from the virus are vaccinated. Beginning to feel like North Korea around here now....

I don't think you know much about North Korea. But i register your upset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

It's decades of health system mismanagement coming home to roost, hospitals evidently cant even absorb the most minor of shocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

Absolutely ridiculous. If the vulnerable and frontline workers are vaccinated open up. Move on. The damage to the economy is shocking. Can't believe how the representative organisations of the various sectors of hospitality are willing to accept this, being forced to sit on 350 euro a week for well over a year.

The govt brought in the CRSS scheme in late november, giving pubs, restaurants, hairdressers etc a weekly payment of 10% of their average weekly turnover in 2019.
    I say thats the reason there is not a peak out of them....getting the PUP payment plus the above scheme.

Yeah it’s pretty sensible to get used to the idea that pubs won’t be open for the next few months.

Some people seem to think that vaccinating arbitrary groups, like the over 70s and the vulnerable, will lead to immediate reopening. It’s foolish to think that’s likely to happen and will likely lead to disappointment when it doesn’t happen.

Realistically, the pubs are likely to reopen during the summer when numbers naturally go down, as they did last summer. It will depend on the new strains of covid and how much more transmissible they are than the strains we had last summer, but let’s assume they can open in the summer.

There will be the obvious need for distancing and masks and whatever other measures at necessary. The real goal has to be to get as many people vaccinated as possible before the autumn when numbers will start going up again. If everyone’s vaccinated by then, we might have a more normal Christmas this year.

But it’s imports to be realistic and see what happens with the new strains, transmission numbers and vaccine rollout. No point setting arbitrary dates and expecting pubs to reopen because some said they should open when the over 70s and vulnerable are vaccinated.
    Tbf, this is a measured post.

I think the government and NPHET will be fairly conservative in the reopening of society this time. With the vaccines being administered, the goal is surely a phased, gradual reopening society through the successive "levels" until we get to fully-open, without any reversals. Being overly zealous with the reopening could cause some setbacks which would result in a need to backtrack again. I think people would rather a slow gradual reopening for good, instead of a seesaw approach, in the long term..

Tbf, this is a measured post.

I think the government and NPHET will be fairly conservative in the reopening of society this time. With the vaccines being administered, the goal is surely a phased, gradual reopening society through the successive "levels" until we get to fully-open, without any reversals. Being overly zealous with the reopening could cause some setbacks which would result in a need to backtrack again. I think people would rather a slow gradual reopening for good, instead of a seesaw approach, in the long term..

Very easy to be conservative in reopening when your job is well paid and safe. Those who are struggling to hold on to their jobs, pay their mortgages or have already lost their jobs might not agree. The tag line "we're all in this together" is the biggest lie of this whole pandemic.

Very easy to be conservative in reopening when your job is well paid and safe. Those who are struggling to hold on to their jobs, pay their mortgages or have already lost their jobs might not agree. The tag line "we're all in this together" is the biggest lie of this whole pandemic.
    Yeah but the see-saw back and forth isn’t sensible or good for business either. Better to do the reopening correctly and get it right first time.

Surely that 15 max outside rule will not make a return, i know it would be much better in summertime but it would be so hard to get in somewhere. Then we have a problem where i could turn into a mini outdoor party if they raise the capacity

This whole situation is a farce

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I've thought since day one this disease would be a much longer term problem than some are either being led to believe or want to believe.

Unfortunately that seems quite accurate at this point.

Surprisingly it's not the politicians getting people's hopes up of some big reopening of restaurants, pubs etc. It seems to me to be coming exclusively through social media from accounts that tend to have issues with government policy on everything going anyway.

But if people want to belive the local will be open and jammed in May then more power to them.

Somehow I don't think it will work out like that.

Could be wrong of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Yeah but the see-saw back and forth isn’t sensible or good for business either. Better to do the reopening correctly and get it right first time.

I completely agree, I'm an advocate for reopening, but while people here are spouting on about mental health, you know what's terrible for MH, Putting the time and money into reopening, only to go home every night hoping you don't have to close and lay your staff off at 2 days notice........

Leave them closed until the reopening can be permanent and across the board...

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I completely agree, I'm an advocate for reopening, but while people here are spouting on about mental health, you know what's terrible for MH, Putting the time and money into reopening, only to go home every night hoping you don't have to close and lay your staff off at 2 days notice........

Sure have you not heard the latest from our glorious leaders, that this is seasonal? We could be all shut down again in autumn! Which no doubt some people would just love.

Yeah absolutely. Waiting a little longer, Until the numbers go way down and stay down, so they can reopen and stay open, would be much better than opening too early and closing for weeks or months.

Let’s just hope the new variants aren’t so much more transmissible that the numbers don’t go right down like they did last summer. I really think what we’re playing for now is to be able to roll out the vaccine so we can stay open next winter with distancing and masks and limited travel. I think that’s realistic.

• Advertisement

Sure have you not heard the latest from our glorious leaders, that this is seasonal? We could be all shut down again in autumn! Which no doubt some people would just love.

Why do you think some people would “just love” that? Seriously?

Nobody is happy about being locked down. It’s boring and it’s good for nobody but it’s necessary at the moment. Grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Cool story bro, wanna throw a link in there, so I can form my own opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Surprisingly it's not the politicians getting people's hopes up of some big reopening of restaurants, pubs etc.
    You gotta be kidding me. The original closure of 1 month from 15th March had been pushed back 3-4 weeks at a time for the entire summer.

Why do you think some people would “just love” that? Seriously?

Nobody is happy about being locked down. It’s boring and it’s good for nobody but it’s necessary at the moment. Grow up.

Have a few friends who are happy enough in it esp they can do there collage work undisturbed etc

I've thought since day one this disease would be a much longer term problem than some are either being led to believe or want to believe.

Unfortunately that seems quite accurate at this point.

Surprisingly it's not the politicians getting people's hopes up of some big reopening of restaurants, pubs etc. It seems to me to be coming exclusively through social media from accounts that tend to have issues with government policy on everything going anyway.

But if people want to belive the local will be open and jammed in May then more power to them.

Somehow I don't think it will work out like that.

Could be wrong of course.

"Surprisingly it's not the politicians getting people's hopes up"...not sure this is quite accurate. Plenty of politicians (including prominent ones such as MM and Leo) have been quoted saying that we can expect a return to normal in the latter half of the year. Leo even remarked about the possibility of concerts. Now if that's isn't getting hopes up...

Yeah absolutely. Waiting a little longer, Until the numbers go way down and stay down, so they can reopen and stay open, would be much better than opening too early and closing for weeks or months.

Let’s just hope the new variants aren’t so much more transmissible that the numbers don’t go right down like they did last summer. I really think what we’re playing for now is to be able to roll out the vaccine so we can stay open next winter with distancing and masks and limited travel. I think that’s realistic.

If we have over 70% of the population vaccinated by September (as the government are aiming for) and are still wearing masks and distancing come Christmas, then the vaccination program will be considered a failure. I'm all for a slow, gradual opening but not a future of masks and distancing when the end goal (of herd immunity) has been reached.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Have a few friends who are happy enough in it esp they can do there collage work undisturbed etc

And are your college friends very influential people who are prolonging the lockdown because they like it so much?

If we have over 70% of the population vaccinated by September (as the government are aiming for) and are still wearing masks and distancing come Christmas, then the vaccination program will be considered a failure. I'm all for a slow, gradual opening but not a future of masks and distancing when the end goal (of herd immunity) has been reached.

What are you basing the success criteria on?

Since they don’t even know if the vaccination stops the spread of the virus, or how many new strains there will be or how transmissible they will be or whether they’ll all be conveyed by the current vaccines, or how long the vaccines give immunity for, then I don’t know how you could set criteria for success or failure. Are they randomly created criteria?

At this stage they can just rollout the vaccine as effectively as possible and hope for the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

What are you basing the success criteria on?
    they don’t even know if vaccination stops the spread of the virus

Utterly irrelevant if the vulnerable are vaccinated.
    how many new strains there will be

Currently completely irrelevant, until a new strain is discovered that the vaccine does not protect against then we should not be twiddling our thumbs waiting for a mutation to occur. 6 weeks is the time it would take to adjust an mRNA vaccine.
    or how transmissible they will be

Once again, irrelevant once the vulnerable are vaccinated.
    whether they’ll all be conveyed by the current vaccines

This is the same point as above.
    how long the vaccines give immunity for

It's likely to be at least a year so worse case scenario, it can be administered yearly like the flu jab, if it comes to it.
    At this stage they can just rollout the vaccine as effectively as possible and hope for the best.

At this stage they can acnowledge that the virus is lethal to a tiny, tiny minority of the population, and once those people are safe from the effects of Covid, then the remainder - the majority of the population who are most affected by lockdown and least affected by the virus - can get back on with their lives as they were before.

Obviously there are still a few like yourself who get their kicks off lockdown and want to remain in it permanently. The rest of us want and expect normality to resume rapidly.

• Advertisement

Cool story bro, wanna throw a link in there, so I can form my own opinion?

Micheal Martin said it on newstalk today. Plus I believe Valance or whitty ( can't remember who)made reference to it on sky news today as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement