Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I agree, i know a lot of people including myself on the hunt for bar equipment.

The brother in law lives in Mayo, he's converted a garage into a pub basically, guinness, rockshore, heinken on tap, big fridge, pool table, dart board. He's not having 50 people over every weekend, but odd friday night 3/4 of his friends come up for a few drinks. the town he's in hasn't had an open pub since March last year.

There's a lot of people in the village that have the space and are proper shebeens.

I looked into a small set up for Guinness for a garden room we have, but tbh i don't drink enough to make it worthwhile.

That's a fine set up he has! There's a pub near me doing takeaway pints of craft beer for €2.25. You can get them in growlers to keep them fresh. Lots of people buy on the weekend and get pub snacks too like bacon fries and snack bars. You can basically have a pub night without having to look after kegs and taps at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Is it illegal to have a bar set up in your garden/shed for just family?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

saabsaab wrote: »

Illegal to charge i think

• Registered Users Posts: 18,450 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

saabsaab wrote: »

Its illegal to be in your garden with your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Leo and MM having a laugh about the hospitality industry been closed

"You thirsty'

No date can be given for reopening of the industry

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Leo and MM having a laugh about the hospitality industry been closed

"You thirsty'

No date can be given for reopening of the industry

Id gamble on either 10th or 17th of may

Im suprised paddy power isnt doing odds on this yet

Im suprised paddy power isnt doing odds on this yet

Waiting on Leo to leak it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

HBC08 wrote: »
    I think its safe to say a lot of posts in this thread havent aged well.

Absolutely. The selfish 'I'm all right Jack' sorts who felt that their desire to go down to some awful smelly local to horse back pints of lager should take precedence over the health of the wider community. If anyone needed proof that the Irish have a deeply unhealthy attitude to alcohol then this thread was a fine example, as was the vintners trying to force the government to allow them to reopen. Disgraceful from all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Absolutely. The selfish 'I'm all right Jack' sorts who felt that their desire to go down to some awful smelly local to horse back pints of lager should take precedence over the health of the wider community. If anyone needed proof that the Irish have a deeply unhealthy attitude to alcohol then this thread was a fine example, as was the vintners trying to force the government to allow them to reopen. Disgraceful from all involved.

Yep, the vintners would do well to stay quiet now. Pubs are not a priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Rosita

Which year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

2121??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

id say mid june we are at level 1. most over 60s vaccinated then. no need for restrictions, hospitalisation will be very low as will ICU. we then need to go into Ivan Drago mode ...you all know that statement. full whack back to normality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

This was 12 months ago, and there were no travel restrictions at the time, I know we're noting the first anniversary of Covid's arrival, but it really is time to move on if you want to have any credibility going forward.

No travel restrictions, but we knew Covid was bad enough to call off the rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Dickie10 wrote: »
    id say mid june we are at level 1. most over 60s vaccinated then. no need for restrictions, hospitalisation will be very low as will ICU. we then need to go into Ivan Drago mode ...you all know that statement. full whack back to normality

All over 60’s should be well vaccinated by then, I’d expect myself to have gotten it by that time! (Essential worker in a crowded environment)
    I see it playing out like this..
    Level 5 until just after Easter but with schools,retail and construction fully open from the 5th of March.
    Level 3 from 6th of April until after the May bank holiday.
    Level 2 from the 10th of May until the end of June.
    Level 1 until the end of September.
    Normality from October!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Cork2021 wrote: »
    All over 60’s should be well vaccinated by then, I’d expect myself to have gotten it by that time! (Essential worker in a crowded environment)
    I see it playing out like this..
    Level 5 until just after Easter but with schools,retail and construction fully open from the 5th of March.
    Level 3 from 6th of April until after the May bank holiday.
    Level 2 from the 10th of May until the end of June.
    Level 1 until the end of September.
    Normality from October!

Yea i really dont understand the doom and gloom, the dog on the street knows this affects over 65s mostly. we have only 3000 deaths, i thought were to have 30000? of course the media will find a story about someones , sister inlaws , cousins neighbour who got it and died aged 40, or the person with Long Covid whatever that means. point is, so what? Once the health system is ok and our vulnerable are vaxxed. nothing to see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Yea i really dont understand the doom and gloom, the dog on the street knows this affects over 65s mostly. we have only 3000 deaths, i thought were to have 30000? of course the media will find a story about someones , sister inlaws , cousins neighbour who got it and died aged 40, or the person with Long Covid whatever that means. point is, so what? Once the health system is ok and our vulnerable are vaxxed. nothing to see

The problem is that we don't even know what we want to achieve anymore. Nobody can come out and see we are okay with deaths as long as system isn't at capacity. This has always been the true dilemma but we have this idea that death is this absolutely avoidable thing and that Covid is the most inhumane disgusting way to die. I get it in one way; it's something we feel we can control and prevent, but we eventually need to get real. The vaccines not being a magic bean for immortality should be what makes people accept this trade off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

The problem is that we don't even know what we want to achieve anymore. Nobody can come out and see we are okay with deaths as long as system isn't at capacity. This has always been the true dilemma but we have this idea that death is this absolutely avoidable thing and that Covid is the most inhumane disgusting way to die. I get it in one way; it's something we feel we can control and prevent, but we eventually need to get real. The vaccines not being a magic bean for immortality should be what makes people accept this trade off.

100% the vaccines aren’t the magic bean as you’ve said but they aren’t that way for disease in reality. We just need to get it rolled out as fast and as efficiently as possible and get on with our lives and let this be a period in our lives we won’t forget and learn from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Dickie10, who told you there will be no need for restrictions once most of the over 60s are vaccinated?

OK. Good post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Christmas surge was caused by an open border with the UK. These people spread it to their own family members, who welcomed them in to the home, more than the pubs.

These people then spread the virus at informal non pub gatherings in the run up to NYE.

Post Christmas surge caused by returning migrants from Romania etc, hence recent outbreaks in meat plants.

There is no reason for keeping socially distanced pubs closed when we get below a certain level. We should not be paying the price for Mehole and Leo's refusal to close the EU borders so as not to upset the bosses in Brussels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The problem with COVID is if hospitals and the health system gets over whelmed. Just like we can supress it fairly fast it can rise fast. The problem is who are the vulnerable, is it over 70's and those with underlying conditions . Is it over 60's.

The other issue now is variants. This is the huge issue . If we let it run rampant we will get variants. At some stage one of these could develop a latency that could cause issues in younger people like the Spanish flu. At present there is 3 of these we know about, UK, Brazilian and South African. If one develops that is vaccine resistant to vaccine we are back to stage one

Slava Ukrainii

Christmas surge was caused by an open border with the UK. These people spread it to their own family members, who welcomed them in to the home, more than the pubs.

These people then spread the virus at informal non pub gatherings in the run up to NYE.

Post Christmas surge caused by returning migrants from Romania etc, hence recent outbreaks in meat plants.

There is no reason for keeping socially distanced pubs closed when we get below a certain level. We should not be paying the price for Mehole and Leo's refusal to close the EU borders so as not to upset the bosses in Brussels.

Covid was spread by people with covid transmitting it to other people. Some people who crossed the border into Ireland had covid. But the vast majority of cases were proper Irish people who caught it in Ireland and gave it to other people in Ireland.

The people crossing the border had a similar chance of having covid as the rest of the Irish population. Let’s not pretend the spike was all down to people crossing the border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭bunnyboxer

Covid was spread by people with covid transmitting it to other people. Some people who crossed the border into Ireland had dived. But the vast majority of cases were proper Irish people who caught it in Ireland and gave it to other people in Ireland.

The people crossing the border had a similar chance of having covid as the rest of the Irish population. Let’s not pretend the spike was all down to people crossing the border.

140,000 came through our airports in December, Do you think the 140,000 self isolated?

That's where the surge came from and the government now been stricter on arrivals.

We need to work with the north but the government don't have the balls as it's a sensitive subject.

Pubs, especially beer gardens should be fine if social distancing cab maintained and beer gardens should be open in the summer with no restricitons

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

More angry about Leo and the lads laughing/sniggering about Hospitality been closed today in there briefings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Covid was spread by people with covid transmitting it to other people. Some people who crossed the border into Ireland had dived. But the vast majority of cases were proper Irish people who caught it in Ireland and gave it to other people in Ireland.

By default anybody prepared to travel from the UK is someone who couldn't give a shiet about following even the most basic of precautions. So yes, they were a higher risk than what we already had and were responsible for the bulk of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

I'm getting ads on this thread for home bars. Ironic and funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭PommieBast

emo72 wrote: »
    I'm getting ads on this thread for home bars. Ironic and funny.
    I sometimes wonder what I am missing out on. Looking at pics/videos released by the Garda some of those shebeens that have been busted seem to have more effort put into them than most legitimate pubs.. Up there with 1920s New York.. :eek:

People just want to go for a pint. There's no need to be over dramatic.

• Advertisement

bunnyboxer wrote: »
    140,000 came through our airports in December, Do you think the 140,000 self isolated?

That's where the surge came from and the government now been stricter on arrivals.
    I’m sure most of them didn’t isolate.
    Why do you think these 140,000 people were so much more likely to have covid than the rest of the Irish population?

People not maintaining distance and mixing more at Christmas, spread the virus and caused the spike. Where they came from is much less relevant.

Ah lads, a bit of responsibility wouldn’t go amiss here. Blaming the spike on the people crossing the border is pitifully. People travelling will certainly have contributed to it, but people mixing over Christmas causes the spike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement