Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I’m sure most of them didn’t isolate.
    Why do you think these 140,000 people were so much more likely to have covid than the rest of the Irish population?

People not maintaining distance and mixing more at Christmas, spread the virus and caused the spike. Where they came from is much less relevant.

Ah lads, a bit of responsibility wouldn’t go amiss here. Blaming the spike on the people crossing the border is pitifully. People travelling will certainly have contributed to it, but people mixing over Christmas causes the spike.

Nothing to see here, it was all the pubs fault. :rolleyes:

One flight into Ireland sparked 59 Covid cases in six HSE regions - study
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40213163.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

By default anybody prepared to travel from the UK is someone who couldn't give a shiet about following even the most basic of precautions. So yes, they were a higher risk than what we already had and were responsible for the bulk of cases.

Yeah, people not following guidance is the cause of the spike. If you look around these threads you’ll find loads of people who have decided not to follow guidance. Some of them are lauded for it. And you find people defending the idea of going for their holiday later in the year too.

Pretending the ones who crossed the border are somehow the cause of the spike, is ridiculous. They had to meet other people in Ireland in order to spread the virus to them.if everyone followed guidance, there wouldn’t have been a spike. Looking to blame other people is silly.

Collectively there was less adherence to the rules around Christmas, cases spiked, we had to lock down. It happened all over Europe so it wasn’t a uniquely Irish event caused by people crossing the NI border.

Nothing to see here, it was all the pubs fault. :rolleyes:

Did someone say it was the pubs fault? Lol.

Looks like its back to the mates home bar for the next few weeks/months after i am finished with dry January. Not a chance pubs being reopened until after Easter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Jeez If I had €1 for every time someone Googled then copy/pasted this study from last Summer I could afford my own Guinness tap system!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Looks like its back to the mates home bar for the next few weeks/months after i am finished with dry January. Not a chance pubs being reopened until after Easter
    Way things are going it might be Easter 2022. Gov't dropping more than hints that some sort of restrictions will be in place for the rest of this year, and you can bet top dollar that non-food pubs will be the absolutely last thing that will be allowed to reopen. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

PommieBast wrote: »
    Way things are going it might be Easter 2022. Gov't dropping more than hints that some sort of restrictions will be in place for the rest of this year, and you can bet top dollar that non-food pubs will be the absolutely last thing that will be allowed to reopen. :(

Why do you think this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

. Let’s not pretend the spike was all down to people crossing the border.
    People not maintaining distance and mixing more at Christmas, spread the virus and caused the spike. Where they came from is much less relevant.

Ah lads, a bit of responsibility wouldn’t go amiss here. Blaming the spike on the people crossing the border is pitifully. People travelling will certainly have contributed to it, but people mixing over Christmas causes the spike.
    Yeah, people not following guidance is the cause of the spike.

Pretending the ones who crossed the border are somehow the cause of the spike, is ridiculous. They had to meet other people in Ireland in order to spread the virus to them.if everyone followed guidance, there wouldn’t have been a spike.

LOL. So the thousands of new cases of which 60% is a new strain which originated in the UK shortly before Christmas is totally unconnected with people entering the country from the UK.

What colour is the sky in your world?

Also, you do realise the guidance said nothing about people not mixing? People were told for 6 weeks they could have Christmas if they stuck to the needless level 5 lockdown, and were told as lockdown ended that we were the best in Europe. And lots of people then went out and mixed with a range of people, entirely within the guidelines, and thus spread covid.
    I'd agree that this wasn't particularly prudent, but not against the guidelines.

To be honest, nobody at this point should be listening to government guidelines, they're not fit for purpose and haven't been for the last six months. Everyone should be carefully considering their situation and doing what's best to protect the mental and physical health and safety of themselves and their loved ones. (And in many cases, that's doing more than the guidelines recommend). But blindly following a bunch of charlatans driven by political rather than medical considerations isn't going to keep anyone safe.
    If you look around these threads you’ll find loads of people who have decided not to follow guidance. Some of them are lauded for it. And you find people defending the idea of going for their holiday later in the year too.
    There's nothing wrong with the idea of going for a holiday later in the year? Unless you're a fully paid-up subscriber to Leo's blathering distractions. Though of course the situation may be different in your universe.
    (Actually, there's not really anything wrong with the idea of going for a holiday right now if someone is prepared to stock up on food before they go, strictly quarantine themselves when they get back, and pay for a private test to confirm they don't have covid. They'd be doing far more to prevent covid spreading than our pathetic government. Personally I don't think it's worth the effort.)
    Did someone say it was the pubs fault? Lol.
    You do realise this is the pubs thread? Lol.

Why do you think this?
    At least in Dublin they are one thing (only thing?) that has been closed continiously since March 2020.

Cork2021 wrote: »
    All over 60’s should be well vaccinated by then, I’d expect myself to have gotten it by that time! (Essential worker in a crowded environment)
    I see it playing out like this..
    Level 5 until just after Easter but with schools,retail and construction fully open from the 5th of March.
    Level 3 from 6th of April until after the May bank holiday.
    Level 2 from the 10th of May until the end of June.
    Level 1 until the end of September.
    Normality from October!

Yeah, we'll have restrictions into Autumn 2021 best case scenario.

• Advertisement

MOH wrote: »
    LOL. So the thousands of new cases of which 60% is a new strain which originated in the UK shortly before Christmas is totally unconnected with people entering the country from the UK.
    60% is the stat for B.117 within UK itself. In Ireland it was 25%.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

We'll be lucky to have anything open by June

It was July last year before any hospitality opened

Martin was even joking about hospitality yesterday

Goul of a man

https://twitter.com/SeanDefoe/status/1354112169558888448

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Goul of a man

Guarantee Mehole Martin and Leo Leak will be sitting in the Dail bar sinking a few cold Guinness in June laughing at the rest of us sat at home drinking cans as they pat each other on the back for what a "great job" they've done with everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Goul of a man

Fair play to him, there's been some setbacks over the last few days with the AZ vaccine, nice to at least see an attempt at humour, if a fairly lame one....

But of course he'd have been attacked no matter what he said and how he said it because "it's a conspiracy against the pubs"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Guarantee Mehole Martin and Leo Leak will be sitting in the Dail bar sinking a few cold Guinness in June laughing at the rest of us sat at home drinking cans as they pat each other on the back for what a "great job" they've done with everything!

And Eamonn Ryan asleep in the corner after eating a head of lettuce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

I’m sure most of them didn’t isolate.
    Why do you think these 140,000 people were so much more likely to have covid than the rest of the Irish population?

Prior to Christmas one in 30 Londoners were reckoned to have Covid.

I would wager the vast majority of Irish people in the UK who were up for travelling (i.e uner 60's) live in the London area.

I would say it is safe to bet we imported, at a minimum, 4000 Covid positive individuals over the Christmas period.

Possibly more, seeing as the type of coont who was prepared to travel was less inclined to follow precautions and therefore more likely to be infected than the average person.

Goul of a man

Nobody seems to have provided a clear answer to this question.

If, assuming vaccine deliveries go well, all of our elderly are vaccinated by the end of March, by which time cases should be through the floor, why can't we go back to, at the very least, what we had from July to October?

In four months in post lockdown 2020 (July, August, September, October) in which the pubs were open, 187 people died with Covid in their system. Break down how many of these were healthy, active people with many years left to live, then break down how many of them caught a case that had a chain of transmission involving a pub.

You would be lucky to see single figures.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Fair play to him, there's been some setbacks over the last few days with the AZ vaccine, nice to at least see an attempt at humour, if a fairly lame one....

But of course he'd have been attacked no matter what he said and how he said it because "it's a conspiracy against the pubs"

Not the time for it and it came across as being very poor taste

The question was for Varadkar so Martin didn't need to say anything

Laughing at keeping all those in hospitality out of jobs for a further stretch of time

I'd imagine after another five months of keeping hospitality shut people will be 'thirsty' alright even if you drink don't alcohol and want a social outlet

Nobody seems to have provided a clear answer to this question.

If, assuming vaccine deliveries go well, all of our elderly are vaccinated by the end of March, by which time cases should be through the floor, why can't we go back to, at the very least, what we had from July to October?

In four months in post lockdown 2020 (July, August, September, October) in which the pubs were open, 187 people died with Covid in their system. Break down how many of these were healthy, active people with many years left to live, then break down how many of them caught a case that had a chain of transmission involving a pub.

You would be lucky to see single figures.

There won't be 'sufficient' numbers vaccinated (AstraZeneca giving them a good exscuse there) and of course we've been promised a very slow and very cautious reopening

Not the time for it and it came across as being very poor taste

The question was for Varadkar so Martin didn't need to say anything

Laughing at keeping all those in hospitality out of jobs for a further stretch of time

I'd imagine after another five months of keeping hospitality shut people will be 'thirsty' alright even if you drink don't alcohol and want a social outlet

Nah, that's just how you took it, it was a bad dad joke, an ill timed attempt to be more personable.

Any attempt to paint it as an assault on hospitality workers is either misguided or agenda based.

• Advertisement

]

Kicked off in late Feb here.

Full lockdown by late March.

It is possible, given the lack of testing back then, our first bout of this was as bad/ worse than the January one.

928 positive yesterday. Even accounting for not testing close contacts, we haven't been testing them for a while so the same basic percentages still apply- the figure has collapsed x 5 times in a fortnight from the 11th, when it was nearly 5000.

The new border rules are half baked but they will make a bit of difference. Also this is the first time the Gardai seem to be actively bothering with fines, shutting down gatherings etc etc. Combine that with the vaccine and it's a start.

If the North fires away with re opening, and with their vaccine situation seeming more competent than the EU comedy show, I'll be getting a hotel up there every other weekend if needs be.

I hope we get construction back within maybe 3 weeks.

Cases are collapsing, and will only collapse more with strict enforcement of both international and local borders.

Retail I can see by March 5th.

They will never give us pubs back for Paddys Day or Easter, but with the way cases are going and the amount that will be vaccinated by then it seems hard to justify not going back to at least the 1hr 45 and food rule (as ridiculous as it is) by mid April.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Nah, that's just how you took it, it was a bad dad joke, an ill timed attempt to be more personable.

Any attempt to paint it as an assault on hospitality workers is either misguided or agenda based.

Martin is as personable as a brick wall so not sure exactly how he thought that would make him look good

I'm not in hospitality myself nor are any of my family but know plenty who are

It's been seen as a dig and tbf hard to argue it's not

Why not keep his mouth shut?

Martin is as personable as a brick wall so not sure exactly how he thought that would make him look good

I'm not in hospitality myself nor are any of my family but know plenty who are

Right, and people complain, he's a robot, makes a joke and people complain. Varadkar got attacked on here yesterday by people who didn't understand that "naive population" was a medical term.

If he kept his mouth shut, the "varadkar is really in charge" crew would be in force today.

I'm no fan of either man, but what answer could they have given that wouldn't have been **** on by someone?

It obviously wasn't a dig. It was a sh1t joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

mid april is 2 weeks before may bank holiday they wont do that. I think lockdown at level 5til May 1st. then open up month by month level 4,3,2,1 brings us to october first no restrictions.

if cases tumble like they are we should have down to 500 cases on march 1st, 200 on april, 100 on may 1st

Yesterday
    Dickie10 wrote: »
    id say mid june we are at level 1. most over 60s vaccinated then. no need for restrictions, hospitalisation will be very low as will ICU. we then need to go into Ivan Drago mode ...you all know that statement. full whack back to normality

Today
    Dickie10 wrote: »
    mid april is 2 weeks before may bank holiday they wont do that. I think lockdown at level 5til May 1st. then open up month by month level 4,3,2,1 brings us to october first no restrictions.

if cases tumble like they are we should have down to 500 cases on march 1st, 200 on april, 100 on may 1st

Dickie10, you make it up as you go along. Why do you bother spreading total rubbish?

You seem to have absolutely no interest in discussion or reading genuine news sources. You spaff off prediction after prediction after prediction, based on absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Yesterday

Today

Dickie10, you make it up as you go along. Why do you bother spreading total rubbish?

You seem to have absolutely no interest in discussion or reading genuine news sources. You spaff off prediction after prediction after prediction, based on absolutely nothing.

As an alternative we have posters like you flooding this thread with your continuing predictions of doom. I asked you before, stop attacking posters who do not agree with your standpoint. There is an alternative to continual lockdown but it needs a plan and we have not seen one yet, that is what is frustrating a lot of people

Drifter50 wrote: »
    As an alternative we have posters like you flooding this thread with your continuing predictions of doom. I asked you before, stop attacking posters who do not agree with your standpoint. There is an alternative to continual lockdown but it needs a plan and we have not seen one yet, that is what is frustrating a lot of people

Ah no. There’s a difference between just saying absolutely guff, totally unmoored to reality, as I quoted above, vs reasoned discussion based on the reality of the situation.

But here’s a bit of positivity which has no link to reality, in the style of the poster above...
    I say be all over tomorrow all over 50 vaccinated tomorrow and no need for restrictions or nothing. Just thinking about the last time I had a pint woke up dreaming about the pub mad to think nightclubs haven’t been open in near a year it’ll be sorted next week no restrictions.

All over bar shouting tomorrow numbers fall to 200 tomorrow and no need for restrictions move through level 5-4-3-2-1 and be no restrictions by middle next week...

Or we could have a reality-based discussion. I’ll just stick to the reality, even if it isn’t as favourable as I’d like.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So is there actually a rule on Drinking in the streets ?

Got a takeaway pint today and it was lovely but wasn't going to risk sitting down having it on a table in the city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭vafankillar

PTH2009 wrote: »
    So is there actually a rule on Drinking in the streets ?

Got a takeaway pint today and it was lovely but wasn't going to risk sitting down having it on a table in the city

there's no national law I believe but regional by-laws, dont seem to enforce them tho.

where did you find the take away pint? haven't seen them anywhere in dublin city the past few weeks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement