Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Because asking irish people to be considerate and responsible over Christmas worked so well.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

PTH2009 wrote: »
    It will be bliss when they reopen (food or non food) in terms of the social aspect more than the alcohol part. Let's hope it will be fully opened and not this 11pm last orders

It’s only going to be real bliss when they open and operate as they did pre this Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

fin12 wrote: »
    If I was attending pubs just for drink , I seriously would not set foot in one, why would anyone if it’s just pure alcohol and alcohol alone they are seeking going to a pub. Why pay pub prices for the same drink u can bulk buy in the shop.

The pub to a lot of people is all about the social aspect.

one word, guinness

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Because asking irish people to be considerate and responsible over Christmas worked so well.....

Yes when they all traveled over here from abroad. Couldn’t just stay where they were for one bloody Xmas. They had their fun and then f*cked back again to where they came from. Leaving the rest of us to suffer the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

You can blame government decisions for that. Not the general public.

What's the plan so? Keep everything closed till when?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Ignore the thousands travelling in from the UK and heading to Brazil and back too. And the longest closure time on pubs in the whole world and all the shops being closed in the lead up causing massive pent up demand.
    Easy to blame people for being bold when the decisions made are questionable

Yes when they all traveled over here from abroad. Couldn’t just stay where they were for one bloody Xmas. They had their fun and then f*cked back again to where they came from. Leaving the rest of us to suffer the consequences.

Ah, right, it was all those ex pats cramming into pennys..... The vigilent irish stayed in the house and fed granny in the garden.

Ah, right, it was all those ex pats cramming into pennys..... The vigilent irish stayed in the house and fed granny in the garden.

Oh right the ex pats didn’t set foot in a pub when they came back here. Why would an ex pat have any interest going into Penney’s ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i thought this was sarcasm, but your actually serious? you believe thats what caused the spike?

copeyhagen wrote: »
    i thought this was sarcasm, but your actually serious? you believe thats what caused the spike?

Yes I’m dead serious. 150,000 coming in over the Xmas. Foreign travel is and will always be the main spreader of this thing.

• Advertisement

batman_oh wrote: »
    Ignore the thousands travelling in from the UK and heading to Brazil and back too. And the longest closure time on pubs in the whole world and all the shops being closed in the lead up causing massive pent up demand.
    Easy to blame people for being bold when the decisions made are questionable

The pubs and shops were closed for 7 weeks, if that causes "massive pent up demand" then the government are absolutely justified not reopening them till the majority are vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

*One* Xmas you say? Illnesses and deaths peak in Dec/January every year. We'll have to wait til next winter to see whether we get landed with a level 5 lockdown amidst waffle about 'new variants'. If the churches aren't open on April 5th that will be two Easters in a row forcibly cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Or the food bollocks.

Just open the ****ing pubs and let people show some personal accountability for their actions. The country is ****ed, it's time to open up.

Not going to happen anytime in the foreseeable future. End of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

copeyhagen wrote: »

75% of January cases, or circa by the end 75,000 cases, came about solely due to travel from Britain in the weeks leading up to, and just after Christmas.

Mehole Martin should be tried for negligence, frankly.

Oh right the ex pats didn’t set foot in a pub when they came back here. Why would an ex pat have any interest going into Penney’s ?

Restaurants were a joke. Iirc Tony advised folk just becsuse you can go to one doesn't mean you should. Restaurants were full and not of ex pats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

id be very confident we will be in pub drinking by mid june. I really think it would be a super show of solidarity if all hotels and restauraunts refused to open until all pubs could open. government would relent on this i feel. like the government will want certain hotels restaunts open for tourism and family breaks and people having afternoon teas and carvery dinners . they see this as low risk, but it shouldnt be at the mercy of a country pub that gets 7-10 regulars each night, theres very little risk there. even less than a carvery dinner hotel job

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Dickie10 wrote: »
    id be very confident we will be in pub drinking by mid june. I really think it would be a super show of solidarity if all hotels and restauraunts refused to open until all pubs could open. government would relent on this i feel. like the government will want certain hotels restaunts open for tourism and family breaks and people having afternoon teas and carvery dinners . they see this as low risk, but it shouldnt be at the mercy of a country pub that gets 7-10 regulars each night, theres very little risk there. even less than a carvery dinner hotel job

Love your daily/nightly positivity but cant see that happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Ah, right, it was all those ex pats cramming into pennys.....

Has there ever been a shred of proof retail spreads Covid to any great deal?

Course there wasn't. Let's tank that part of the economy anyway.

I think there is a reasonable school of thought to suggest that letting the virus back in to the country was deliberate.

On June 18th 2020 I posted
    I'm equally as concerned with Spain re opening to the Brits. An absolutely mad idea. Last I checked the UK infection rate was 200 times ours per capita. With their moves to re opening going nearly as fast as ours they will be stuck with this rate until the virus burns itself out, which they all eventually tend to do, but when that is who knows.

I equally think it's time to consider legislation to stop Irish people returning home. Post Christmas could be a disaster if it's still rampant in the UK.

We wont't of course. Mehole will appear on TV strongly urging ex pats not to return home, and urging those that do to stay out of pubs and house parties.

They won't, and we will see a surge in mid January.

How come I could work this one out last June, but Mehole thought asking people firmly not to travel would see us through?

Why is Tony Holohan so obsessed with pubs but gave at worst tacit disapproval to foreign travel?

Why did he say you can either have pubs or have family visits, but not both, but foreign travel didn't even come into his scenario?

Augeo wrote: »
    Restaurants were a joke. Iirc Tony advised folk just becsuse you can go to one doesn't mean you should. Restaurants were full and not of ex pats.

Or people went cause they wanted to. Have u actually been inside a pub or restaurant in a year? Also don’t know what iirc is .

Or people went cause they wanted to. Have u actually been inside a pub or restaurant in a year? Also don’t know what iirc is .

If I Recall Correctly.

And he does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

IIRC, it means if I recall correctly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Bigfatmichael

Not going to happen anytime in the foreseeable future. End of story.

We will all be slugging pints once the current number in hospital goes down.

I expect us to be back somewhat normal in June but probably max 15 inside and beer gardens open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭batman_oh

The pubs and shops were closed for 7 weeks, if that causes "massive pent up demand" then the government are absolutely justified not reopening them till the majority are vaccinated.

7 weeks? Weird. It seemed more like 3 months, then kind of open for a bit, but not properly, then closed again for 2 months, then open for 3 weeks while being told they would close again.

But yeah, it was only 7 weeks. We haven't had the longest restrictions on restaurants and retail in the world. That's a dream

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Or the food bollocks.

Just open the ****ing pubs and let people show some personal accountability for their actions. The country is ****ed, it's time to open up.

Lol. I think plenty of people in these threads have shown their contempt for the rules and personal responsibility.

This isn’t a personal responsibility issue thought, and I think you know that. You can’t take personal responsibility for the people you pass the virus to.

I was wondering about this yesterday. When things open up, of the virus is always around, how much personal responsibility do you think people will take? Do you think it would be common for someone to say “sorry, I can’t go to the match/comedy gig/pub this weekend, I’m taking the kids to see my mother next weekend. She’s vulnerable so I’m taking personal responsibility by shielding as best I can this week”.

I think it might become a common thing to hear but my Mrs disagrees. It will be interesting to see what happens.

We will all be slugging pints once the current number in hospital goes down.

I expect us to be back somewhat normal in June but probably max 15 inside and beer gardens open.

Fail. Not going to happen by June or any time this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

You know something, I really get the impression some people here are loving lockdown........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Simple question, what part of the country are you from ? Its fair to say you sound like you are from an urban part otherwise you would understand that in a village the pub is the centre of the village. Its where people meet, go to ask questions, look for trades people, all manner of stuff, and heaven help us actually have a drink. So for the population of such villages and I`m sure you will agree there are thousands, what social outlet do these people have ?

I'm from a rural village. 12km to the nearest big town. We have 3 bars (one in the golf club), a church and a school but not a single shop. I've never once done any of the things you suggested in the pub bar meet the neighbours and have a pint. That said, I don't miss it that much now as we just ring each other instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,449 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What on earth is normal about that?

Fail. Not going to happen by June or any time this summer.
    Do you work with NPHET or are you another anti pub person :rolleyes:
    Look pubs will be open back up in the summer, even if its only food pubs. We need to have them open to help with the local tourism. Do you think people are going to book holidays down the country if they cant go to a pub for a bit of grub and a pint. Not a chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

You know something, I really get the impression some people here are loving lockdown........

Really? I haven't seen anyone say that. Who do you think has suggested they love lockdown?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement