Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Rubbish? Listen. I've seen it happen. You can choose to believe me or not, I don't care.

Yeah you seem to be either ignoring or just don’t understand the point of vaccines. Sure, some people will get a fierce sore arm, as you felt, and some will even be somewhat ill, but the risk:reward ratio is what’s important.

I believe you when you say you’ve seen it. What proportion of people get sick from getting the vaccine, in your opinion?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

fin12 wrote: »
    Clearly I AM MORAn hasn’t heard of the several law suits against the state over the SWINE FLU VACCINATION. Look it up. All developed a sleeping disorder. And THEy WON their case as well.

Here we go.

Name me the lawsuits to look up, I fancy a read myself.

Or an anti-vax outrage? I cannot make my mind up to be honest.

Why does no one complain about alternative medicine anymore..... ?

Ohhhhhhhhh, that 's right , because it's a load of phucking garbage.... ahhhhhh, I thought so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    This "some people must love lockdown, sitting at home in their jocks with free money smoking dope" is such a lazy trope.

I guarantee there isn't a single person (politicians and NPHET personnel included) that loves lockdown. How could you? Why would you?

Bitterness?
    Laziness?
    Some people think Ireland has a harmful addiction to pubs and this is an opportunity to put a dent in it.

Other people don't like pubs, or the types that go to pubs, but wish that they did, and thus want to ruin it for pub goers.

There are innumerable accounts in the media of people eschewing the "benefits" of lockdown. Oooh I learned to bake, ah I realised there's more to life than the pub. It's all bollocks. Less traffic jams and people getting to see their kids grow up are about the only benefits here.

But the fact remains, there's still a virus out there, it's highly transmissable by human contact/proximity, we're still at about 1000 confirmed cases per day, hospitals are still under severe pressure, so pubs are a long way down the list of priorities of things to get back open.

The anger is because we shouldn't be here. 75% are of a variant that should not have been here at all if border controls were enforced, and virtually all of the rest is descended from imported cases from August onwards, mostly from the UK and Romania.

If even the haphazard measures that are now coming in had came in last July we would not have had more than a dozen cases per day since last July, absolutely everything bar nightclubs and full capacity gigs/ sports would now be back open to a reasonably normal extent. We have lost an additional year because Mehole was too afraid to interfere with the EU Freedom of Movement principle.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Drop the vaccine talk. Take it to the relevant thread(s) and if you are banned from such threads do not try and turn other threads into "vaccine" ones as you will find yourself subject to additional bans

• Registered Users Posts: 29,262 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Bitterness?
    Laziness?
    Some people think Ireland has a harmful addiction to pubs and this is an opportunity to put a dent in it.

Other people don't like pubs, or the types that go to pubs, but wish that they did, and thus want to ruin it for pub goers.

There are innumerable accounts in the media of people eschewing the "benefits" of lockdown. Oooh I learned to bake, ah I realised there's more to life than the pub. It's all bollocks. Less traffic jams and people getting to see their kids grow up are about the only benefits here.

You might learn the meaning of the word eschew before using it.

Nobody is claiming there are benefits from lockdown (except maybe the traffic). But most accept that it's necessary in order to break the chain of transmission.

And the "want to ruin it for pub goers" bit just reminds me of a 5-year old having a tantrum, tbh.

The anger is because we shouldn't be here. 75% are of a variant that should not have been here at all if border controls were enforced, and virtually all of the rest is descended from imported cases from August onwards, mostly from the UK and Romania.

If even the haphazard measures that are now coming in had came in last July we would not have had more than a dozen cases per day since last July, absolutely everything bar nightclubs and full capacity gigs/ sports would now be back open to a reasonably normal extent. We have lost an additional year because Mehole was too afraid to interfere with the EU Freedom of Movement principle.

Cudda wudda shudda.

Nevertheless, here is exactly where we are now, and this is what we have to deal with. Two variants on the original virus now established in the country, and 1000-odd cases confirmed per day and hospitals at/beyond capacity.

Nobody's denying that bad decisions were made, but equally nobody can claim that everything would be hunky-dory if other decisions were made. Plenty other countries went at it differently, and they're in as bad a state (some worse) than us.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    You might learn the meaning of the word eschew before using it.

Nobody is claiming there are benefits from lockdown (except maybe the traffic). But most accept that it's necessary in order to break the chain of transmission.

And the "want to ruin it for pub goers" bit just reminds me of a 5-year old having a tantrum, tbh.

Absolute nonsense. There are people in this country who are actively fans of lockdown. Most of them unemployable, virtually all of them hard leftists.

Cudda wudda shudda.

Your lack of anger or outrage about it says all I need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1196068/

We're getting a revised living with covid plan

My predictions hotels, restaurants and food pubs (has to have a kitchen on the premises) to be moved to level 2 with Wet pubs moved to level 1

PTH2009 wrote: »

My predictions hotels, restaurants and food pubs (has to have a kitchen on the premises) to be moved to level 2 with Wet pubs moved to level 1

The last time they drew one of these up for clarity they moved into half levels two days later. There is still no proof that hospitality, when regulated, is a major vector for the disease if not aggravated by foreign travel. The pubs were open from July to October and were a minor vector of transmission, far behind colleges, schools and foreign travel.

I wouldn't listen to a word of it. Hopefully this time around there is a bigger public / industry push back when hospitality opens in Europe, the UK and even the North by April, while Taliban Tony is still insisting we stay away from the pub.

I'm actually going to start following the Northern, or British, re opening timeframes more intently than ours. Absolute waste of time waiting for these brain donors to come up with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

PUP payment extended to middle of year that is june /july i would think everything will have to open then. government needs to get people spending money asap in second half of year. expect a full on drive to holiday in ireland and grants to go on staycation like last year. obviously things like pubs will have to be open for that to happen

Dickie10 wrote: »
    PUP payment extended to middle of year that is june /july i would think everything will have to open then. government needs to get people spending money asap in second half of year. expect a full on drive to holiday in ireland and grants to go on staycation like last year. obviously things like pubs will have to be open for that to happen

They will want to open up retail soon to pay for all of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I’d take all that with a pinch of salt, they don’t know how to function beyond locking down the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

We'll never get to level one in the next few years the way the likes of mcconkey are talking...

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Patches oHoulihan

There will be level 5 with with flexibility to open construction and schools.
    Then thats it.

If we open stuff again before we can benefit from vaccine roll out then there will be another surge and we will be right back at square one.

Pubs, if there are actually any left that are viable will be months away IMO, and I mean like August or September. If we are lucky.

I

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

I'm from a rural village. 12km to the nearest big town. We have 3 bars (one in the golf club), a church and a school but not a single shop. I've never once done any of the things you suggested in the pub bar meet the neighbours and have a pint. That said, I don't miss it that much now as we just ring each other instead.

I hear what you say and while I am surprised maybe I`m a tad more a social animal than you. Let me give you a few examples
    -publican holds a spare key for my house, if I mislaid it
    -my heating breaks down and my plumber is on a job in Dublin. The publican is my go to person for recommendation on another plumber
    -I have`nt seen a neighbour for a while and I don`t have his number. Who would I ask is he OK, the publican
    -regular meeting of the neighbourhood watch, discuss break ins, general nuisance stuff, where is it held, the local pub
    -a local house goes sale agreed and the house is empty for a while. Maybe the new owner has plans Who will know whats happening, the publican
    - a get together of the local golf society to decide where we could play this year, who organises it, the publican

Stuff like this goes on all the time in rural villages the length and breadth of the country and this is the social aspect of the pub which seems to get lost in the ether. Yes, making a phone call is better than nothing but you cannot beat the social interaction of meeting other human beings.

I have`nt even mentioned a drink yet.............................

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Absolute nonsense. There are people in this country who are actively fans of lockdown. Most of them unemployable, virtually all of them hard leftists.

I don't know why I'm biting here, but does anyone out there actually think like this, or is it just an act for the craic?

I mean it's the definition of absolute nonsense, it's hard to imagine anyone actually saying it without cracking a smile.

Hard leftists like the Bolsheviks or the Viet Cong like? They could be accused of a lot but they certainly weren't work shy, god love them. Or do you mean hard leftists in the Ben Shapiro/Tucker Carlson "I-have-no-clue-wtf-I'm-talking-about-but-thankfully-neither-does-my-audience" sense.

There is literally no one who is an active fan of lockdown. We are all prisoners,
    and just like in prison there are people who can adapt and are stoic enough to tolerate the hard time and there are people who can't, but rest assured, we ALL want to get out.

If we open stuff again before we can benefit from vaccine roll out then there will be another surge and we will be right back at square one.

I

If we keep the borders essentially shut there will not be a surge of any concern.

We had the original variant down to 12 per day.

We imported a new variant that originated in NE Spain in the summer.

Another key driver was that much of Eastern Europe was relatively unscathed by the initial wave, but got hit harder in later summer, a time when many E Europeans resident here went home, then brought the virus back to meat plants.

I can't believe this even needs to be pointed out any more. Close the borders and we will be left with a manageable amount of cases with a mostly open society. It really is that simple.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I don't know why I'm biting here, but does anyone out there actually think like this, or is it just an act for the craic?

I mean it's the definition of absolute nonsense, it's hard to imagine anyone actually saying it without cracking a smile.

Hard leftists like the Bolsheviks or the Viet Cong like? They could be accused of a lot but they certainly weren't work shy, god love them. Or do you mean hard leftists in the Ben Shapiro/Tucker Carlson "I-have-no-clue-wtf-I'm-talking-about-but-thankfully-neither-does-my-audience" sense.

There is literally no one who is an active fan of lockdown. We are all prisoners,
    and just like in prison there are people who can adapt and are stoic enough to tolerate the hard time and there are people who can't, but rest assured, we ALL want to get out.

Answer me this.

Why is every leftard on Twitter, and people like Hazel Chu, abhorred by tourism, and by Gemma O'Doherty having her 40 person gatherings, or the gatherings that drew a few thousand to the custom house last year? They are always going utterly catatonic that these super spreader events will be the death of us all.

Why are they so concerned about these events, put 5000 wasters protesting at the US Embassy last summer over the death of a junkie, or hundreds of wasters protesting outside Blanch Garda station over a guard killing a man in self defence, how come these are deemed essential journeys?

Answer me that one honestly.

Left wingers love lockdown. It leads to loss of income for comfortably off people. It leads to misery. It leads to their enemies like Michael O'Leary, pub owners and the building developers taking a hit. It has brought about the introduction, at least temporarily, of a form of universal basic income.

Me- I can't go to the pub with my friends for a drink. I'm not working and I'm thousands down because of it.

If for most of your adult life you have been anti social, unemployable, broke and miserable, lockdown doesn't really make much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

If we keep the borders essentially shut there will not be a surge of any concern.

We had the original variant down to 12 per day.

We imported a new variant that originated in NE Spain in the summer.

Another key driver was that much of Eastern Europe was relatively unscathed by the initial wave, but got hit harder in later summer, a time when many E Europeans resident here went home, then brought the virus back to meat plants.

I can't believe this even needs to be pointed out any more. Close the borders and we will be left with a manageable amount of cases with a mostly open society. It really is that simple.

New Zealand. That’s the proof right there.

fin12 wrote: »
    New Zealand. That’s the proof right there.

Leo and Mehole are too fond of extremes.

"We can't be NZ and Australia because we have truckers coming from Europe and a border with the North"

We can still have truckers, and have our border semi open, and still keep the rates to 9 to 12 figures per day. We won't get to zero, but we, as said, could have a situation of socially distanced pubs, below capacity gigs and matches etc etc. Perhaps even nightclubs on a regional basis.

Instead of opting for an option that gave us 80% normality the two clowns went for the one that put us in the dark ages from October to god knows when.

Also, in the US bars are open in places, RTE was interviewing an Irish pub owner before the Super Bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

The vaccine rollout is so slow I cannot imagine wet pubs will be open this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

was it just me or was there people in the super bowl stadium?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Dickie10 wrote: »
    was it just me or was there people in the super bowl stadium?

Yeah, about 30,000, same as the number of covid deaths in that dumpster fire of a state florida......

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Yeah, about 30,000, same as the number of covid deaths in that dumpster fire of a state florida......

IIRC the bulk of them were vaccinated healthcare workers given free tickets, but don't let that stop the lockdown lovin' that permeates from your post.

2ndcoming wrote: »

There is literally no one who is an active fan of lockdown.

Aodhan O'Riordan was on TV3 just there saying Leo was wrong to be giving anybody hope, that the public is firmly behind a full lockdown after the events of Christmas.

O'Riordan is the epitome of the angry left wing nerd so it doesn't surprise me he isn't too fussed about getting a pint in.

We are all prisoners,
    and just like in prison there are people who can adapt

Oh yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kapo
    and are stoic enough to tolerate the hard time and there are people who can't, but rest assured, we ALL want to get out.

Stoicism is for a situation beyond the realms of either personal or societal control. Loss caused by war, natural disaster, illness. By your logic, a person should have the same emotion if their child dies by being struck by lightening, as they should have if they are murdered by someone with 100 convictions who is out on bail at the time.

If you remain stoical about a situation caused solely by state ineptitude, if you remain stoical about having spent longer living under various forms of strong lockdown than the vast majority of Europeans, if you remain stoical as NPHET and left wing muppets try use this crisis to their own advantage, you are not a stoic, you are a doormat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

IIRC the bulk of them were vaccinated healthcare workers given free tickets, but don't let that stop the lockdown lovin' that permeates from your post.

You recall wrong, only 7500 were vaccinated health care workers, and none of the people at the rest of the games this season.

The rest of your point is scuttering ****e too, but no matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

hynesie08 wrote: »

30,000 deaths out of a population of 22.2 million and its a state with a huge older population, basically filled with retirement communities.

Lockdowns are a sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

It will be interesting to see if there is any reaction from the publicans representative organisations after the announcement that PUP payments are subject to instant tax once workers return to work. Employees ( not just in the pub trade) are going to be screwed over. But not to worry, we're all in this together!!😡

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Aodhan O'Riordan was on TV3 just there saying Leo was wrong to be giving anybody hope, that the public is firmly behind a full lockdown after the events of Christmas.
    Is this man deluded, or just thick?! Of course the public need hope, now more than ever. I fail to see how this year can possibly be any worse than last year when we have multiple vaccines (some of which have an efficacy >90% and possibly reduce transmission) to inoculate the old, vulnerable and frontline. Nevertheless, judging by some of the comments in the media, you'd swear we had no vaccine. And before someone mentions the holy grail of doom - variants - news flash, the vaccines still work on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

7500 vaccinated HCWs allowed in on top of the 30k fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭PommieBast

They will want to open up retail soon to pay for all of this.
    How much of retail (or any business) will survive though?

• Advertisement

PommieBast wrote: »
    How much of retail (or any business) will survive though?

Tax take suggests that plenty businesses are rocking away nicely.
    Once demand returns post lockdown businesses that won't survive will likely be replaced by new ones.
    In 2022 it's quite likely the total number or nights away, meals out and drinks bought in pubs etc will be at least that of 2019 so money will be spent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement