Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Why are small business's shut whereas all the mega corporations can stay open? Why is professional sport deemed 'essential' while its a criminal offence to play a game of five a side soccer with your friends?

All of these big companies have made millions and millions out of these lockdowns and also have been able to cut salary costs massively by laying off 'non essential' people and forcing people to work from home. These are the same corporations which haven't been paying a penny of tax in this country for years and have the Irish government in their back pocket. The people who think lockdowns are purely to save lives are unbelievably naïve. The global elite owned 90% of everything before this pandemic and after they'll own closer to 99%. The rich get richer while the poor get poorer. We're getting screwed and some people are begging for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Parachutes wrote: »
    Why are small business's shut whereas all the mega corporations can stay open? Why is professional sport deemed 'essential' while its a criminal offence to play a game of five a side soccer with your friends?

All of these big companies have made millions and millions out of these lockdowns and also have been able to cut salary costs massively by laying off 'non essential' people and forcing people to work from home. These are the same corporations which haven't been paying a penny of tax in this country for years and have the Irish government in their back pocket. The people who think lockdowns are purely to save lives are unbelievably naïve. The global elite owned 90% of everything before this pandemic and after they'll own closer to 99%. The rich get richer while the poor get poorer. We're getting screwed and some people are begging for more.

Because money talks. Society is sick.

I agree with everything u say , but that line oh that was in a George Michael song. Praying for time. Listen to the lyrics. So true. What an amazing person and artist he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

showpony1 wrote: »
    probably something to do with not doing a two-part pour or some nonsense.

Exactly.. I'd love to know how following the Guinness marketing **** to the letter makes the pint taste better.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

Exactly.. I'd love to know how following the Guinness marketing **** to the letter makes the pint taste better.

I drink guinness and just guinness and pour all in 1 pour from thr can
    Work in a bar. Do the 2 part pour in work but if I was pouring for myself when finishing up I wouldn't bother as its all the same tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Because a year long ban could be the death of the League of Ireland. I agree it is ludicrous that top level GAA is banned while LOI continues, but ludicrous and nonsensical is the way Covid rules flow in this country.

I’d luv to go to a nightclub now more than a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Martin saying this morning it will be several months before hospitality and pubs can open. Blaming them again for the problems since Christmas. I'd say September at the earliest for wet pubs at a guess....... Anyone hearing otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

fin12 wrote: »

Maybe sometime in 2022. Not before then, not legally anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Patches oHoulihan

saabsaab wrote: »
    Filled with wine! Mossy Finnegans are a dying breed.

I like a glass of wine meself however I would never drink it in a pub.
    I am 40 and I see me wanting pints in a pub for the foreseeable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Martin saying this morning it will be several months before hospitality and pubs can open. Blaming them again for the problems since Christmas. I'd say September at the earliest for wet pubs at a guess....... Anyone hearing otherwise?

More likely November/December.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Did he blame them for the problem since Christmas? What exactly did he say?

More likely November/December.

Lads, a small bit of realism. They'll probably open during the warm weather and if there's a change in November/December it would most likely be to close them again. But hopefully it doesn't come to that if the vaccine rollout and efficacy goes well.

The chance of them opening for the first time in Nov/Dec is a fairly unlikely suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

fin12 wrote: »

Once you have your Vaccine then hop on a flight this summer.. looks like the UK may have these open this year... Ireland won't..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Once you have your Vaccine then hop on a flight this summer.. looks like the UK may have these open this year... Ireland won't..
    Way things are going I will be hopping on a flight to get my vaccine...

The chance of them opening for the first time in Nov/Dec is a fairly unlikely suggestion.

The chance of many of the smaller family owned Pub business still being opened by then is also a fairly unlikely thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Drive 2 hours up the road also, NI will follow whatever the UK plan is, we will probably have people heading up every weekend over the summer, pressure mounting over there to stop restrictions at the end of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

The chance of many of the smaller family owned Pub business still being opened by then is also a fairly unlikely thing..

Would it not be a case that these small family owned pubs are paid off already? No rents to pay etc., owners are on the PUP. It’s the newer bars that are mortgaged up to the hilt that might never open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Would it not be a case that these small family owned pubs are paid off already? No rents to pay etc., owners are on the PUP. It’s the newer bars that are mortgaged up to the hilt that might never open.
    I would have thought the same thing. Our village has 5 pubs, all family owned, and they've all told me that they will be reopening whenever they are given the go-ahead, but they also told me that they heard from others in the trade that it's the city pubs that are under pressure

Lads, a small bit of realism. They'll probably open during the warm weather and if there's a change in November/December it would most likely be to close them again. But hopefully it doesn't come to that if the vaccine rollout and efficacy goes well.

I tend to go-along with this. There isn't a hope in hell that they will decide to reopen pubs for the first time in December - it will be manic. They will ease people back in with a late summer opening I suspect

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what you mean. When are you talking about?

Did he blame them for the problem since Christmas? What exactly did he say?

If we have learned anything, it's that the virus and hospitality are too compatible.....

If we have learned anything, it's that the virus and hospitality are too compatible.....

Ah so he didn't blame pubs for the problems since Christmas?

Why do people have such a terrible problem with reading and repeating information accurately?

Ah so he didn't blame pubs for the problems since Christmas?

Why do people have such a terrible problem with reading and repeating information accurately?

I read between the lines. Are you incapable of that?

I read between the lines. Are you incapable of that?

Am i incapable of reading that he blamed the pubs for the problems since Christmas from what he said? Yes, I am, and so should you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Bigfatmichael

Be back open in May with something like max 15 inside and beer gardens been open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I thought most pubs were tenanted, so I suspect arguments between tenants and landlords will keep a lot of them closed longer than necessary.

I'm not sure what you mean. When are you talking about?

How can a family run business manage to retain their premises and license over a period of 21 months of no cashflow, rents and service bills still need paying...?

How can a family run business manage to retain their premises and license over a period of 21 months of no cashflow, rents and service bills still need paying...?
    The major ticket item is rent - and if the pub is family owned, then this is non-existant. Obviously, other services need to be paid, such as rates, etc, but one would assume that VFI fees etc will be exempt this year.

• Advertisement

I don’t know. Savings, government assistance, loans, and trading when allowed, would be my guess. Why are you asking me ? I’m not an expert on the pub trade.

Your original point wasn’t clear what timeframe you were talking about. And I still don’t know what point you were making.

Edit: forget it. Some pubs will close and i suspect it will take you another few posts to get to the point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement