Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

A mess this thing is a ****ing mess, lots of places haven given in and are opening Aug 10th regardless

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/08/02/norriss-bar-to-reopen-on-august-10-regardless/#.Xycp3I7TXqt

Its not the government that are calling it, its 'these health experts' who are calling the shots

The schools going back and a rise in cases in other countries the main excuses for not going to Phase 4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Risteard81 wrote: »
    I'm not a supporter of anyone who enters Leinster House - let alone those who usurp the name of an organisation and movement which decrees it "an act of treachery, to be dealt with as such".

Jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Risteard81 wrote: »
    I'm not a supporter of anyone who enters Leinster House - let alone those who usurp the name of an organisation and movement which decrees it "an act of treachery, to be dealt with as such".

Richard what do you believe is a proper policy on this and do you support any party who is democratically elected in the Republic of Ireland. I have learned throughout this that people who have a different opinion to me should not be dismissed. However for the transparency of discussion, can you let us know what a good approach is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jj880

PTH2009 wrote: »
    A mess this thing is a ****ing mess, lots of places haven given in and are opening Aug 10th regardless

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/08/02/norriss-bar-to-reopen-on-august-10-regardless/#.Xycp3I7TXqt

Its not the government that are calling it, its 'these health experts' who are calling the shots

The schools going back and a rise in cases in other countries the main excuses for not going to Phase 4

Headline should be "Norriss Bar doing meals with drinks on Aug 10th" which is what a lot of bars in my town are doing already.

They offer a basic menu then ring in orders to a restaurant across the street and they bring food over in tinfoil.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

So, they're opening serving food....... Could just do that tomorrow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭SteM

hynesie08 wrote: »
    So, they're opening serving food....... Could just do that tomorrow...

Indeed, I don't think it's the revolution pth was expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

SteM wrote: »
    Indeed, I don't think it's the revolution pth was expecting.

"I'm sick and tired of these rules, if something doesn't change I'm gonna completely comply with them"

It's not exactly I have a dream.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

VinLieger wrote: »
    Once again i dont think you know what the words you are using mean....

Would 5G perhaps also be part of this?

I`d say more likely he believes it`s all connected to the "Illuminati and the lizard shapeshifters in human form who are ruling the world".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Not seeing much of a difference between a normal bank holiday and tonight. Went to the local earlier was there from 7 till 10 which was last orders. In the local late bar since about 10.15 , last orders 12.30, fairly busy, all table service.

Feels very normal and don't see what would change if either were allowed to open as normal.

And no I've not had food in either and I'm with the same group in both pubs so same close contacts.

There would be no difference between either of these now and if they were allowed to officially open, distancing, table service etc all in place. Everyone sticking to their tables which is good to see.

Not seeing much of a difference between a normal bank holiday and tonight. Went to the local earlier was there from 7 till 10 which was last orders. In the local late bar since about 10.15 , last orders 12.30, fairly busy, all table service.

Feels very normal and don't see what would change if either were allowed to open as normal.

And no I've not had food in either and I'm with the same group in both pubs so same close contacts.

There would be no difference between either of these now and if they were allowed to officially open, distancing, table service etc all in place. Everyone sticking to their tables which is good to see.

People are sticking to the rules but the 'experts' are scared of people not complying the rules and places becoming a free for all. They have no trust in us all

Next week is going to be interesting

• Advertisement

People are sticking to the rules but the 'experts' are scared of people not complying the rules and places becoming a free for all. They have no trust in us all

Next week is going to be interesting

You literally quoted a post where everyone were breaking the rules

joeguevara wrote: »
    You literally quoted a post where everyone were breaking the rules

I was referring to the last paragraph in terms of people staying within there own tables etc

ps this website tonight is a pain in the hole whatevers gone wrong

I was referring to the last paragraph in terms of people staying within there own tables etc

ps this website tonight is a pain in the hole whatevers gone wrong

Yeah it’s a bit crazy. Opening middle of threads after selecting last post. And saying unread posts but when look they are old.

I get what you are saying that you were referring to the last paragraph but literally they were overstaying time limit, not eating and going to multiple bars. No point in blaming the government for their policy and saying that people are compliant when the example is the complete opposite. I will say that in Dún Laoghaire the three pubs ‘buck mulligans, lighthouse and McLaughlins are very strict. Not a chance of drinking without food, times are in place as every table is booked out.

The gardai are in every day, looking for proof of food orders if no food on table, checking the kitchens (at the beginning);for proof of food prep. They only have three pubs to check I suppose but it’s constant.

Loughies was obviously preparing to open and completely refurbished the beer garden but on hold. McKennas is not open. Dunphys same. Oneils is a strange one. Pre Covid they stopped their food and haven’t opened up, would have been easy to do food if they wanted but didn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I don't think many of us will be surprised if the case numbers tail off after the meeting this Tuesday. Gotta backlog them up to spike before the next meeting to open the pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

joeguevara wrote: »
    I watched the prime time episode. Talk about a load of sh1te. Everyone saw how the guy harassed the girl repeatedly to get a pint. It meant nothing to the viewers and literally no one stoppped frequenting pubs because of it. So as a scoop, it failed.

Why are people still discussing it. It gives credence to something that failed. If pubs had the amount of customers that are currently giving out about their closure, the pub industry would have been booming. But the reality pre Covid was pubs were desolate most of the week.

People like to give out but don’t back it up with custom.

He didn't harass the girl. He did exactly what lots of ordinary punters would do _ push it a bit to see if he could get out of buying food. And in 25% of the pubs he visited, it worked. In one of the pubs the reporter got served because he pointed out that a group were already sitting there drinking without food. Did they also harass the poor shy little girl behind the counter??

There has been lots of posters on here talking about going to the pub and not having to buy food, pubs just putting a few used looking plates on tables in case the guards came in etc. It's obvious this is going on and a lot of pubs have been getting away with it. A few got caught last week and you're putting all kinds of spin on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I don't think many of us will be surprised if the case numbers tail off after the meeting this Tuesday. Gotta backlog them up to spike before the next meeting to open the pubs.

Or maybe the under 40's need to behave and turn up for tests and self isolate considering 80% of the cases are under 40. Pubs not opening will be down to this

Those pubs do deserve to be named and shamed but we need to be clear in what we're looking for here. All that exposé demonstrated is that the Gards need to be vigilant in spot checking those pubs within that specific area in the City. That's what they're supposed to be doing anyway and to suggest there's any more weight to that guy's report is pure unsubstantiated agenda pushing nonsense.

As others have pointed out but continue to be ignored is that the pubs adhering to the rules are in the majority and not the minority. You don't have to look far to find first hand accounts of this.

Prime Time stressed that compliant pubs are in the majority several times. It doesn't change the fact that a significant minority aren't and why on earth shouldn't this be highlighted?
    Also who suggested there was another agenda to the report?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Two pubs in a seaside town here in west Cork. One always did food (very good food) and the other never did. Went to the gastropub last night and was a lovely experience. The other pub is now doing €9 pizzas. Passed it on the way home last night and not a pizza in sight. Tables inside far too close to one another, people walking between tables to talk. Looked like it normally does only that nobody was at the bar. This is why we cant open pubs as normal IMHO. Give people an inch and they will take a mile. Also, people in pubs abandon social distancing and hygiene after a few jars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

almostover wrote: »
    Two pubs in a seaside town here in west Cork. One always did food (very good food) and the other never did. Went to the gastropub last night and was a lovely experience. The other pub is now doing €9 pizzas. Passed it on the way home last night and not a pizza in sight. Tables inside far too close to one another, people walking between tables to talk. Looked like it normally does only that nobody was at the bar. This is why we cant open pubs as normal IMHO. Give people an inch and they will take a mile. Also, people in pubs abandon social distancing and hygiene after a few jars.

You should get onto the papers with this & maybe a few TDs.

It's be f*ckin great if they just put a quarantine on in Cork, closed the borders, etc.
    Imagine a holiday from them? Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭deckie66

Also been out in pubs in Cork. Everyone that is open is doing fairly decent food (and had always done so pre Covid). But no prob sitting back after and having 4 or 5 pints

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

deckie66 wrote: »
    Also been out in pubs in Cork. Everyone that is open is doing fairly decent food (and had always done so pre Covid). But no prob sitting back after and having 4 or 5 pints

Same.

Me and couple lads went out last night. Got a walk in at 7.30, ordered a pizza each and we didn't leave till 12.30. They didn't care about the time limit it was great.

People stuck to their tables though, didn't mix, stand around the bar or floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭gigantic09

My local may open next Monday, who knows. Outside of the summer months, the majority of visitors are on their own or in pairs. Most sit at the bar, engage in conversation with whoevers there and leave after a couple hours. There's a TV in the lounge out the back but the 'craic' is always focused around the bar.
    It looks like this isn't going to be an option going forward, at least for the foreseeable future and I can't see these sort of pubs being viable any longer. I think this is sad as rural communities have already lost many local shops, postoffices and churches are rarely used any more. In their place we've got mindfulness and pillates in the local hall. Pubs aren't the dens of eniquity many make out, any in my opinion many communities with be much the poorer for their inevitable passing.

The time limit was imposed because that's how long medical experts consider it is safe for a large number of people to be in an enclosed space together. Why is it great that pubs are ignoring this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The time limit was imposed because that's how long medical experts consider it is safe for a large number of people to be in an enclosed space together. Why is it great that pubs are ignoring this?

Absolute nonsense. The time limit was put in place because 45 mins first half, 15 mins half time and 45 mins second half equals 105 minutes. It wasn’t just luck that decided that and there is zero science behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Can you explain the specifics of this, as I don't understand it? I'm sure your very informed, considering you're a full believer in the position.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Absolute nonsense. The time limit was put in place because 45 mins first half, 15 mins half time and 45 mins second half equals 105 minutes. It wasn’t just luck that decided that and there is zero science behind it.

Horsesh1t of the highest order!

The original advice was 90 mins to allow 30 mins to clean between sittings. Restaurants argued they could clean in 15 mins so total time extended to 105 mins to give a 2 hour total, which is the important figure.

It has fcuk all to do with matches (which go on longer anyway)

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Can you explain the specifics of this, as I don't understand it? I'm sure your very informed, considering you're a full believer in the position.

It’s to do with being a close contact. Look at HSE website. If you are in an enclosed space with someone for a certain length of time you are treated as a close contact. That time is 2 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Benimar wrote: »
    It’s to do with being a close contact. Look at HSE website. If you are in an enclosed space with someone for a certain length of time you are treated as a close contact. That time is 2 hours.

Couldn’t find anything like that on the HSE website or on the guidelines for pub re-opening.

Couldn’t find anything like that on the HSE website or on the guidelines for pub re-opening.

Apologies, its the HPSC Website

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/guidance/contacttracingguidance/2.%20Information%20for%20Close%20Contacts%20of%20a%20confirmed%20case%20of%20COVID-19.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭showpony1

There has been lots of posters on here talking about going to the pub and not having to buy food, pubs just putting a few used looking plates on tables in case the guards came in etc. It's obvious this is going on and a lot of pubs have been getting away with it. A few got caught last week and you're putting all kinds of spin on it.

who cares? eating a plate of food isn't going to stop spread of Covid-19.

If the normal pubs open up it'll just be same thing - sitting at the table with pints no food.

I don't see how opening the pubs is seen as anarchy it'll be pretty much same pub experience we have now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement