Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

PTH2009 wrote: »

A couple of years ago, I found myself talking to a former fg minister for health while holding court on a high stool. In my drunken haze I outlined my idea for the reformation of the licencing laws....... This sounds very similar to those ideas..... If they announce a sports bar licence that requires a set number of screens per sq metre and a food menu required till 90 minutes before closing I'll know that prick stole my idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,191 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Outdoors only this summer, according to our de facto leader Professor Nolan, looks as if he doesn’t think vaccines work. More kite flying!! Sick of it

https://twitter.com/micheallehane/status/1363478971699101699?s=21

What did he say about vaccine efficacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I have some inside knowledge of some of the new proposals to reform the liquor licensing laws. It's true that they will be extended hours for certain establishments - but there is also set to be stricter rules around the serving of food. It's aimed at improving the character of pubs post covid, and reduce the number of pure drinking houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

The law didnt catch up on us and we had a good laugh. The fact we are all in our 40s was both hilarious and sad.

No Shebeen in sight. We literally sat on the crates.

I'd be leaning more towards sad.

• Advertisement

I have some inside knowledge of some of the new proposals to reform the liquor licensing laws. It's true that they will be extended hours for certain establishments - but there is also set to be stricter rules around the serving of food. It's aimed at improving the character of pubs post covid, and reduce the number of pure drinking houses.

They can feck off with there food once these covid restrictions are history

If i want food ill get it, if i want to just drink ill just drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I doubt you have any inside knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

They can feck off with there food once these covid restrictions are history

If i want food ill get it, if i want to just drink ill just drink

Don't feed the wum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

It's worth remembering- we only got the pubs open in June because pubs that served food threatened to open anyway, and the government couldn't be bothered getting into a legal argument about what legally is and is not a restaurant. No other country in the Western world entertained such pseudoscientific nonsense.

If it was up to these loathsome bastards in NPHET and their dry arsed sycophants in cabinet we would not have had a single pint in 12 months next month.

**** knows what the story will be in the new Living with Covid plan in terms of Hospitality

Gastropubs i think fecked themselves up and will also go down the pecking order and might only be permitted in Level 2 with outdoor dining only. Wet pubs prob moved to level 1 (which will be impossible to get to). God knows about hotels etc

The way pubs were treated last summer/autumn was a disgrace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭PommieBast

To me this is nothing more than a cynical PR move. I don't think I have ever seen 11pm Sunday closing observed..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

PommieBast wrote: »
    To me this is nothing more than a cynical PR move. I don't think I have ever seen 11pm Sunday closing observed..

Is it 11? Same as you so, never been in a pub and told last orders at 11 on a Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭peterc1991

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Is it 11? Same as you so, never been in a pub and told last orders at 11 on a Sunday

Its more a doors are closed at 11 on a sunday. Ive always got a pint up until 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Bigfatmichael

Sure you do, you also love to discuss the smell of your ****e with other posters in that after hours thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

Takeaway pints are banned right now, right?

Most bars that are currently serving take away food still offer take away pints. My local only has Heineken and Coors on the takeaway menu though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

What did he say about vaccine efficacy?
    Nothing, but the Professor on the radio after him said that all vaccines work against all variants. She admitted that some will have reduced efficacy, but that people are obsessing over efficacy when the real objective of vaccines is not to prevent minor symptoms, but to stop people getting seriously ill, prevent hospitalisations and deaths - which they do. She also said that emerging evidence is suggesting that the vaccines reduce transmission by almost 90%. Win-win.

ShyMets wrote: »
    I doubt you have any inside knowledge
    Fixed this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭saabsaab

He could be right. Wouldn't be the first time someone on boards is ahead with information. This is the way pubs are going anyway and a lot won't reopen after this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

saabsaab wrote: »
    He could be right. Wouldn't be the first time someone on boards is ahead with information. This is the way pubs are going anyway and a lot won't reopen after this.

There will remain a market of non food pubs. I wouldn't go as far as saying a lot won't reopen. But some certainly wont

saabsaab wrote: »
    So you keep saying. But just because you keep saying it doesn't mean it's correct. Time will tell but, based on very limited anecodatal evidence (from Boards, Reddit, Twitter, etc.), my view is that there is huge demand for traditional pubs and they could thrive when alllowed to reopen. Now basing an opinion off social media is no way representative of consumer sentiment, but it is more reflective than one poster rehashing the same line over and over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

If the uk/North are to have everything open inclyding pubs etc by June according to there new road map will that not put massive pressure on some sort of pub/hospitality reopening here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Nonsense, shure arent the Govt egged on by Nphet determined to destroy our pub culture

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭peterc1991

Nonsense, shure arent the Govt egged on by Nphet determined to destroy our pub culture

This is good news. No suprise to see so many people make a joke or take the negative from it though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

Alot in the pub trade don't want longer hours

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

And a lot do, if they don't want them, just close when you want. There is no legal obligation to open till closing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,191 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Nothing, but the Professor on the radio after him said that all vaccines work against all variants. She admitted that some will have reduced efficacy, but that people are obsessing over efficacy when the real objective of vaccines is not to prevent minor symptoms, but to stop people getting seriously ill, prevent hospitalisations and deaths - which they do. She also said that emerging evidence is suggesting that the vaccines reduce transmission by almost 90%. Win-win.

I agree that the vaccine’s main purpose is to avoid major symptoms and death, but you need the vaccine to work and you need to know how well it works. Someone on the radio doesn’t need to “admit” that it’s efficacy is less than 100%. They just need to report it.

The thing that I’ve learned from these threads is that people in general are terrible at comprehending information accurately. They misinterpret things in all kinds of ways. Nuance is lost on people in this regard.

But yes. The news this week has been generally great interns of actually dealing with the situation and getting on with the life.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭seanoge

My friend says there was a time when only outside drinking was allowed. When was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I would say most do, the idea of everywhere closing at the same time is ridiculous anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

last year-looking forward to getting p1ssed on and frozen at this years do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭pgj2015

seanoge wrote: »
    My friend says there was a time when only outside drinking was allowed. When was this?

Level 4. I think we were in level 4 around October. it only lasted about 3 weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement