Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

re how many family owned pubs are at risk of going under, if the proprietor owns the premises, why is there an increased risk of going under if there is no rent or mortgage to pay on the pub? Apart from electric and turning the heat on during the winter so the place doesn't go mouldy, exactly what costs are a dormant pub running up? Are landlords really cracking down hard on indebted rented pubs rather than meeting them half way? Were they able to cancel public liabiility insurance for the duration of shut downs? (fairly sure they were able to cancel Sky Sports etc). Obviously some pubs may have taken out loans for renovations etc but again surely in the current times the banks shoud be forced to meet them half way.

Obviously they will have lost thousands in gone off stock due to the ludicrous yo yo nature of open up shut down through the year, but aside from this.

Isn't exactly like they can evict them and they will have a new tenant ready to move in tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Level 4. I think we were in level 4 around October. it only lasted about 3 weeks.

Think that was level 3.5

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭saabsaab

They say it only takes 21 days to change a habit. Nearly a year on since this started and many will have found new drinking habits and won't return to their old pub ways. Seismic change is coming but no doubt some will have issue with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

saabsaab wrote: »
    They say it only takes 21 days to change a habit. Nearly a year on since this started and many will have found new drinking habits and won't return to their old pub ways. Seismic change is coming but no doubt some will have issue with this.

Some may have changed habits, but most everyone I know from the pub scene that I have met over the last year have said that drinking at home isn't the same, and that they can't wait to have a proper pint again.

I've noticed myself that if I have a few bottles of a Saturday night, I inevitably wouldn't be arsed touching any more the next day. But if I had a few pints on a Saturday night, I'd be mad for the follow-up Sunday afternoon.

Maybe my drinking habits have "matured" in the last year I don't know, but I definitely know I will be in my local as soon as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

saabsaab wrote: »
    Yes, some have, but absence makes the heart grow fonder too. Many are craving for a return to pubs, but no doubt you have issue with this, as you seem determined to see them fail. I can imagine that the latest government news about longer opening hours will come as a blow to your aspirations, but that really doesn't excuse indulging in this kind of rhetoric :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Yes, some have, but absence makes the heart grow fonder too. Many are craving for a return to pubs, but no doubt you have issue with this, as you seem determined to see them fail. I can imagine that the latest government news about longer opening hours will come as a blow to your aspirations, but that really doesn't excuse indulging in this kind of rhetoric :rolleyes:

I have changed my habits, I don’t enjoy having a few beers at home, herself doesn’t drink (had a very bad hangover after storm Emma hasn’t drank since) so we used to go out most Saturday nights and I’d have 5/6 pints and we’d have a great night, we enjoy our movie nights now and so on but fûck it we miss our friends and the craic down town on a Saturday, I miss meeting up with some of my buddies to watch a match on a Sunday and talk ****e!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭saabsaab

You're wrong there I don't want them to fail but that's the way it's going for many of them. More of a prediction than a wish as I like a pint or two out normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

ShyMets wrote: »
    There will remain a market of non food pubs. I wouldn't go as far as saying a lot won't reopen. But some certainly wont

Id welcome more of a separation.

I love my pure drink pubs, no kids or faffing about with staff taking time to deliver food to tables, a turf fire, sociable bar man and people just there to converse and drink.

Im also looking forward to the possibility of real nightclubs able to remain open till 4-5am like on the continent.

this business of having to faff about with licences ruining a good pub by turning it in to a 'late bar' with a band is a bit crap.

I just want to go to a great non food pub till 1am and then on to a club till its bright out, not a meal in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Id welcome more of a separation.

I love my pure drink pubs, no kids or faffing about with staff taking time to deliver food to tables, a turf fire, sociable bar man and people just there to converse and drink.

Im also looking forward to the possibility of real nightclubs able to remain open till 4-5am like on the continent.

this business of having to faff about with licences ruining a good pub by turning it in to a 'late bar' with a band is a bit crap.

I just want to go to a great non food pub till 1am and then on to a club till its bright out, not a meal in sight.

You will be waiting until Nov/Dec at the earliest or more likely sometime in 2022 for any chance of that to even be considered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

You will be waiting until Nov/Dec at the earliest or more likely sometime in 2022 for any chance of that to even be considered.

I know :( , Its been so long now I've even made a list of all my favourite non food pubs for the week long bender I'm going on to celebrate the end of lockdown.

Like many the weekly zoom quiz and a few cans on a Friday or Saturday night is the closest to social drinking im getting and i can't wait to get back to the pubs even if it means i'll be spending more money. I could get 5/6 pint bottles of beer for under €20 in the OL but its just not the same

It's not just for the drinking its for the social aspect, getting out of the house for a few hours, a few for/after a match and just the spontaneity of it all. Having to book time slots and get the food irks me a bit, the same with the outdoor drinking because it can be quite difficult to get a space somewhere, as i said earlier the spontaneity is gone . Love a few pre/post gig pints sometimes the atmosphere is great

It's crazy this time last year lockdowns and pub closures was the furthest things from our minds. Bloody hell Cheltenham week last year nobody was anticipating that days later Pubs would be closed

Never knew Micheal Martin was on Boards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I know :( , Its been so long now I've even made a list of all my favourite non food pubs for the week long bender I'm going on to celebrate the end of lockdown.

You might be drawing the pension at that stage at the rate things are movin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

Most bars that are currently serving take away food still offer take away pints. My local only has Heineken and Coors on the takeaway menu though.

I can understand lads getting pints of Guinness.I know a good few in Dublin doing it,why would you order pints of Heineken or worse (coors) from your local?
    Pints/cans of Coors are less than half the price in your local petrol station and still taste like sh1te.

HBC08 wrote: »
    I can understand lads getting pints of Guinness.I know a good few in Dublin doing it,why would you order pints of Heineken or worse (coors) from your local?
    Pints/cans of Coors are less than half the price in your local petrol station and still taste like sh1te.

Got to have something to boost about and be called a legend for the Facebook/Instagram/tik tok posts etc

Yeah if your a none guinness drinker cans/bottles way better and at half the price too. Id consider take away pints if i drinking in a park or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Are landlords really cracking down hard on indebted rented pubs rather than meeting them half way?
    With the total closure likley to be around 18 months even meeting half-way will be ruiniously expensive for many. Wrangling is going to see a lot of pubs remain closed longer than legally required.

Never knew Micheal Martin was on Boards

I`d say you must be fairly thirsty.

I`d say you must be fairly thirsty.
    Reading your pathetic reponses is more satisfying than quenching any thirst :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Reading your pathetic reponses is more satisfying than quenching any thirst :cool:

OK Mary lou........

(see how ridiculous this game is)

• Advertisement

hynesie08 wrote: »
    OK Mary lou........

(see how ridiculous this game is)

Don`t feed the troll.

Don`t feed the troll.

Ah, I wouldn't be putting Mary lou up for miss universe, but troll is a bit harsh......

She's only under a bridge if there's a securicor delivery due.

Don`t feed the troll.
    The irony of this :D:D In the midst of all this ****e, at least we can laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

ShyMets wrote: »
    I'd murder a clatter of pints right now

I would absolutely love to be in a night club right now dancing.

The irony of this :D:D In the midst of all this ****e, at least we can laugh

As do I when I read 99.99% of your posts. They contain nothing but absolutely hilarious BS so I suppose I should be grateful for that. Anyway off to bed now. By all means keep on posting your ****e all night long if you want. It will give me something to have a laugh at when I log on to the site again.

As do I when I read 99.99% of your posts. They contain nothing but absolutely hilarious BS so I suppose I should be grateful for that. Anyway off to bed now. By all means keep on posting your ****e all night long if you want. It will give me something to have a laugh at when I log on to the site again.
    :eek: So 0.01% of my posts aren't "absolutely hilarious BS". I suppose that's more than can be said of yours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭celt262

Are takeaway pints allowed i though no but seen an establishment horsing them out at the weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

celt262 wrote: »
    Are takeaway pints allowed i though no but seen an establishment horsing them out at the weekend?

Yep. Still premitted

Allowed but discouraged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

It's not illegal. It's frowned upon. Like masturbating on an airplane.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement