Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Well I’ve ironed my drinking shirt.

Again.

Ha. Yep I'm all set, at least would feel like a bit of a summer!

Champions League and the pubs open would be the job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    You've lost me. :o

yep like FF lost themselves , if you can't figure it out . go to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Oh no I didn't have my €9 covid meal.

Honestly what difference does it make if I have a few pints with a meal or a few without. Same contacts, table service, tables very well spaced out, people not moving from their table unless going to the bathroom.

So whats the problem, we didn't have a few chicken wings?

Ha I agree! Hopefully us following the rules we agree with and not following the ones we don't agree with, doesn't lead to the pubs not opening next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

I do wonder how many of the people gormlessly grinning on here about the fact that they got a feed of pints without any food, or were allowed stay for 3 hours in the pub, and strutting about pontificating ignorantly about how all the experts are wrong, will be ranting furiously if pubs aren't allowed reopen or another lockdown is enforced in a few weeks time.

But no doubt it will all be the fault of the government, or the teachers, or nphet or Santa Clause or the tooth fairy!

Well no doubt it won't be the fault of the pubs that aren't allowed open, and yet you'll still be here blaming them. It goes both ways I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Have you actually been reading this thread?
    You seem to be very selective in what you are choosing to hear.

So you are another one working off hearsay and Chinese whispers??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

showpony1 wrote: »
    who cares? eating a plate of food isn't going to stop spread of Covid-19.

If the normal pubs open up it'll just be same thing - sitting at the table with pints no food.

I don't see how opening the pubs is seen as anarchy it'll be pretty much same pub experience we have now.

The way "the pubs opening" is spoken about is as if some people think pubs are just opening the way they were before - dancefloors, standing at bar etc?

most city pubs i know of are not set up for any kind of social distancing like what is possible in restaurants and the larger food serving pubs. this is the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭briany

After 3 or 4 pints on a Saturday night in a pub or nightclub, social distancing goes right out the window. Things get loose, people want to sit close and chat. Lads want to cheer on the football. Others are looking to get the shift. Others still are shouting an order to the barman. There's no way people will adhere to social distancing guidelines when they're in a 'wet' pub that's in the swing of the weekend. Ain't happening. It seems like people are only paying lip service to the precautions as it is. They'll pay less than no heed when half-cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

all our social distancing and mask wearing will be for nothing if everyone piles into packed pubs every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

briany wrote: »
    After 3 or 4 pints on a Saturday night in a pub or nightclub, social distancing goes right out the window. Things get loose, people want to sit close and chat. Lads want to cheer on the football. Others are looking to get the shift. Others still are shouting an order to the barman. There's no way people will adhere to social distancing guidelines when they're in a 'wet' pub that's in the swing of the weekend. Ain't happening. It seems like people are only paying lip service to the precautions as it is. They'll pay less than no heed when half-cut.

Sure before lockdown that was the norm and nobody was none the wiser about this virus compared to the flu and others

Its be a very hard few months and nobody would begrudge people having a few pints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭SteM

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Sure before lockdown that was the norm and nobody was none the wiser about this virus compared to the flu and others

Its be a very hard few months and nobody would begrudge people having a few pints.

I don't see your point about pre-lockdown behavior to be honest.

You can go and have your few pints now, nothing stopping you.

Everything before lockdown was the norm, but we've had to alter our behaviours for now in order to try and keep this virus under control.

I do not begrudge anyone having a few pints in the pub in normal circumstances, but not where pubs are directly contributing to a surge in cases, but drinkers are prioritising their weekend plans over the need to keep infections low and prevent the health system from being overloaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Pubs shouldn’t be reopened as our numbers continue to go up.

Push it out until October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

froog wrote: »
    all our social distancing and mask wearing will be for nothing if everyone piles into packed pubs every weekend.

That would be the last thing people would do! There's a pandemic hello

Everything before lockdown was the norm, but we've had to alter our behaviours for now in order to try and keep this virus under control.

I do not begrudge anyone having a few pints in the pub in normal circumstances, but not where pubs are directly contributing to a surge in cases, but drinkers are prioritising their weekend plans over the need to keep infections low and prevent the health system from being overloaded.

Were was the surge from the opening of restaurants since June ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Santy2015 wrote: »

Would be madness on the juke box alrite Shane baby.

Welcome to the house of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

theballz wrote: »
    Pubs shouldn’t be reopened as our numbers continue to go up.

Push it out until October.

Absolutely, and who's going to cover the lost income, bills, wages etc. If the government aren't willing to foot that bill, let them open and - crazy idea for our shambolic leaders I know-- institute guidelines and enforcement.........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

hear from a publican with a link to the dail its september 20th for pubs. but god knows we could be in middle of a second surge then so all could be shut back to phase 2

Were was the surge from the opening of restaurants since June ?

The seating in restaurants is spaced out, drinks are brought to the table by a staff member sporting PPE, there is no loud music to shout over and people aren't really getting drunk, and are supposed to leave after a couple of hours. People in restaurants are in no way liberally mixing in they would with a typical weekend 'wet' pub - they sit, they eat and drink for an hour or two and then leave.

And even without wet pubs coming back yet, we're still seeing a rise in cases.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    hear from a publican with a link to the dail its september 20th for pubs. but god knows we could be in middle of a second surge then so all could be shut back to phase 2
    No you didn't, or he's talking bollox
    The seating in restaurants is spaced out, drinks are brought to the table by a staff member sporting PPE, there is no loud music to shout over and people aren't really getting drunk, and are supposed to leave after a couple of hours. People in restaurants are in no way liberally mixing in they would with a typical weekend 'wet' pub - they sit, they eat and drink for an hour or two and then leave.

So why can't you do all that, just without a frozen pizza?

• Advertisement

Dickie10 wrote: »

bullocks a load of bullocks

For some people this will not do much for there mental health

Will they close 'food pub's' too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

If you need to go to the pubs for a few pints for your mental health you've bigger issues.....

1: the 20th is a Sunday

2: people are looking down the barrel of bankruptcy, you just have to buy a plate of wings, get the **** over yourself.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭SteM

What's your reasoning for not going out for a few pints as things stand? Is it just that none of your favorites are open or do you not want to have to buy food?

SteM wrote: »
    What's your reasoning for not going out for a few pints as things stand? Is it just that none of your favorites are open or do you not want to have to buy food?

Mix of the 2 , the uncertainty of it all, you don't knw what place's will throw you out at 105 mins thus you drink faster and that.

I don't mind paying for food but miss the just going in for a quite one after a walk etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Has anyone here actually been to these pubs serving food since they were allowed open? It’s a pretty horrible experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

And why can't the table service only, no standing, no leaving the table except for going to the bathroom etc all be used in pubs?

The only difference is no €9 meal.

You sound like you expect a free for all with full bar service, absolutely no protective measures in place and people licking the face off each other at the counter which won't happen in a controlled environment as we're seeing now.

In the bars I've been in recently the staying at your table and not mixing has been excellently observed.

All these arguments over a €9 meal that makes absolutely no difference to your chances of getting covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Has anyone here actually been to these pubs serving food since they were allowed open? It’s a pretty horrible experience.

Haven't had a horrible experience myself, its not for everyone but its been nice to be able to go out socially.

Felt quite comfortable in the bars in my area anyway, staff wearing masks, contact details taken, temperature checks, tables well spaced.

I will say I much prefer the snugs, hope most places keep a few after restrictions are lifted whenever the day comes.

Different alright but not the worst.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Boards acting the bollix is bad for the mental health too. Would drive you to drink.

• Advertisement

Yeah, beer was the same, food was the same, people were the same. The hooded lad with a clock and an axe was a bit distracting though......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement